Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Wow, that's an impressive sub-30. I won't revisit until the missions in a few months but I also think it'll be a struggle since I lack a fire atb sync, dual/sync combo (I have Cyans dual and dyad which did good work here) and aegis counter. I got a sub 40, may be able to get sub 35 but that's not worth it.

Goose, good stuff, that's pretty awesome you're clearing end game within a week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I beat my last DB, XI is bullshit. Like why isn’t there a support link for lillisette’s sync? I hate pulling on it, I have like 1/3 of the relics and it’s either lion glint+ dupes (I think I’ve pulled ~8) and naja stuff.

Do we ever get new relics for the forgotten ones like malak, naja or mustadio?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Those 3 are screwed for the forseeable future. XI is such a janky realm since there's so little synergy among any of the characters, one of the worst healers, and the DK's not balanced to match. It doesn't help that the banner are uncommon and generally not that attractive for pulls.

I'm just hoping for some Shantotto luck in the upcoming fest.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
XI DK is so bad it gets an extra special bonus nerf bat when they nerf them all in JP.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've been making attempts at various Argent Odin elements, and I would just like to say that Sap is bullshit. I try and use SBs with Regenga to counter it, but I keep getting wiped by the Gugnir interrupt. Oh well, I shall try and time it better.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Play on Wait mode.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Jabor posted:

Play on Wait mode.

:ssh: I do, I'm just not very good!

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

:ssh: I do, I'm just not very good!

The Sap is still a problem for me as well, in that you have to be very precise with timing a sap clearing sb after his Rage 3 attack but before knocking him down to 30% and for a lot of my teams, that window is so small if my DPS is a little too strong, but not strong enough to skip that attack.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
A bubble (not sure about this one actually) or hp stock should work too if you can sneak that in, or a regen

Deuce is a good healer for white odin since her usb2(?) has high regen and can be good for both magic and physical teams

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I've survived a sapped gugnir with last stand, but I don't know if I got lucky with the tick timing or not

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Most viable healers have a way to counter the sap, it's just being on top of it as a player. I use Elarra in my phys teams and Mog/Cait on my mag. The issue is if you play a little too loosely since some of the Odins have multiple sap attacks and some don't. I've found with Elarra, the safest bet is to use her AA before Zank 3 (this move always saps) regardless of healing need, just to make sure there's a Last Stand after the interrupt.

For Mog/Cait a lot of my teams can hit 30% before Zank 3 but otherwise, it's best to hold off on an attack to use Cait's USB2 to make sure you have Regenga going into the interrupt.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Seasons 1-3 lab bosses now have the non-lovely wait mode :toot:

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Question for y'all about abilities:

Once I've bought all the Ruby abilities, and I've made a bunch of Hero abilities, is there any 5* offensive ability that is still useful in any way? (Lifesiphon is the one exception!)

Spellblades can be using either HAs or 6* of whatever flavour they use. Same for Knights, Mages, Sharpshooters, whatever.

White Mages, Bards, Dancers, Support, they all have useful abilities in 5* and below. It's just not going to be any good for doing damage.

Or maybe I'm missing something glaringly obvious that may earn me red text for my stupidity. We'll see!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You still have to suck it up and use Grand Charge for some Heavy Combat stuff. Holy physical damage is a bit short on abilities and you might get stuck with Assault Saber on someone if not enough of your people have HAs. There might be cases where using a 5* ability allows you to combo sync+awakening without unlinking.

But otherwise no, 5* abilities suck and you can thankfully largely avoid using them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The cap break heavy abilities can be useful. And they can cap break even if you don't have any heavy charges, so you only need one slot.

The water dragoon attack is instant cast but still has air time, so you can use it to avoid things like instant death attacks.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Sometimes your gonna want both slots filled, and may need 5*s to do so, depending on your team

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
For endgame content 5* abilities aren't great but I still keep around a handful of 5* AoE abilities for when I auto run power up dungeons for crystals. They save a lot of time.

edit: oh yeah it's not 5* but Dispel and Banishing Strike are good when you need them. Also sometimes you can use Hastega if the boss uses a dispel. Ultra Cure to remove annoying statuses. I haven't used Entrust for a long time but that can be useful in niche fights.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 13, 2022

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Don't bother with aoe abilities for crystals. There are record materia that replace your attack button with an aoe ability. There's this 2 hit physical earth one, i can give it to Orran along with +earth equipment and he'll go through all 3 waves like they're nothing. I'm not sure the equipment is even necessary.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

Don't bother with aoe abilities for crystals. There are record materia that replace your attack button with an aoe ability. There's this 2 hit physical earth one, i can give it to Orran along with +earth equipment and he'll go through all 3 waves like they're nothing. I'm not sure the equipment is even necessary.

I'm not fishing those RMs out of my stash that contains hundreds and there are no good ways to sort

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm not fishing those RMs out of my stash that contains hundreds and there are no good ways to sort
i dumped my Earthen Blade into my vault and it took me less than 10 seconds to find. One of the categories is "Change Attack and Defend", it was literally the first RM once I set it to that category

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

It's not really a waste. Aegis Strike is literally free, just keep two copies of it around and any knight can wipe out aoe waves. 5* spellblades do the trick, even 4* bladeblitz and hydroburst are fine. Some characters' only option is the Earthen Blade RM but it's far from the only route one can take, and if it isn't convenient, then don't worry.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Alxprit posted:

It's not really a waste. Aegis Strike is literally free, just keep two copies of it around and any knight can wipe out aoe waves. 5* spellblades do the trick, even 4* bladeblitz and hydroburst are fine. Some characters' only option is the Earthen Blade RM but it's far from the only route one can take, and if it isn't convenient, then don't worry.
less than 10 seconds was not hyperbole

I don't really care if you're adamant about holding onto your aoe abilities, but why recommend it to others when it's clearly not the most convenient option?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Our differences are what makes us beautiful,

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Nihilarian posted:

less than 10 seconds was not hyperbole

I don't really care if you're adamant about holding onto your aoe abilities, but why recommend it to others when it's clearly not the most convenient option?

Making and honing an ability is easier than running characters through dungeons to unlock all the RMs and then stashing all the lovely ones

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Making and honing an ability is easier than running characters through dungeons to unlock all the RMs and then stashing all the lovely ones
you don't have to unlock every RM but i definitely recommend Earthen Blade. Or maybe the ninja one, ninja magic responds real well to lower magic

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Generally speaking it's not worth overthinking the majority of 5* and below stuff, if you're pulling awakenings, syncs and above you'll be clearing enough content to attain the ruby abilities, DK gear, hero armors and hero abilities.

Wait mode 2 is such a boon, I've been able to master all the labs (not sub 30) just due to not having to fuss through my screen presses with precision timing. If I had decent aegis breaking options, I'd likely get a few of those sub 30s but it doesn't really bother me at this point.

I put a ticket towards VI and got Locke Sync2. Holy hell is he strong. I already had drat near his entire modern kit sans AA2 and he hits like a truck. I even made both of his HAs since they synergize well and I can make like 60 more (already have 70+).

And to my point about not worrying about abilities and gear, if you start consistently clearing end game content, the game shits out so many mats that you have way more than you can spend.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
what is the difference with wait mode versus wait mode 2?

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

It goes slower. Normal wait mode is locked at speed 4 or 5 and you can't adjust it down at all, making it horrible for chains

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Original wait mode is locked to really bad speed (that isn't even one of the selectable ones) that makes you lose a lot of time when taking actions.

Improved wait mode allows you to use speed 2, which is way better. Technically you can also choose other speed values, but you probably shouldn't.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Note that Wait 2 will still lose time to Active 1, so if you're fractions of a second off a sub-30, you still want to use Active 1.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

My input delays make a big enough difference that wait mode 2 usually beats my active 1. The main thing that slows it down is sap/Regen and radiant shield type ticks. That and the chains are technically a little shorter. But yeah, if you're on point in your inputs, the gold standard is normal speed 1.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

iamsosmrt posted:

My input delays make a big enough difference that wait mode 2 usually beats my active 1. The main thing that slows it down is sap/Regen and radiant shield type ticks. That and the chains are technically a little shorter. But yeah, if you're on point in your inputs, the gold standard is normal speed 1.

*hits wrong SB button 25s into a fight*

*hits menu button*

*finger hovers over restart*

*swipe up, close FFRK*

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

iamsosmrt posted:

Sap with HP Stock can sometimes solid lock a battle for loving ages. Unfortunately due to this game being over half a decade of spaghetti piled on staler spaghetti we'll never see it fixed.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

you don't have to unlock every RM but i definitely recommend Earthen Blade. Or maybe the ninja one, ninja magic responds real well to lower magic
the ninja magic rm did not do as good as i hoped

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Turn it to auto with no ability or soul break, put your phone down, go do something else. That's the easiest thing to do in fact.

superloosegoose
Dec 26, 2008
I think I’m stuck with just one copy of stitch in time, I’ve shattered so many job 6* that there’s no more ninjas left to get me one.

Is lightning a good holy user? I got her holy awakening on the book draw, and I have her qc usb and holy sync, but it all looks a little underwhelming. It really sucks her sync1 and aasb1 doesn’t do holy damage anywhere.

I tried gogo VI instead of edge in the shiva lab and ended up just mimicking ACM and mog’s ha. Maybe if I buy his mimic damage rm he might be better but he puts out some meh damage worse than edge

OK now has 5 BDLs: wind magic dyad, water magic dyad, mag aasb1, phys aasb2, and phys sync and he still sucks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
It's okay, I have zero copies of Stitch in Time because it's pretty much a useless ability.

Lightning is amazing at Holy. Use her AASB1 into AASB2 and it's functionally a DASB. She will triple cast her HA at 30k cap every turn. You can use both her Holy and Lightning W-cast LMR too and they can both proc.

Gogo VI sadly isn't great. he was good at 6* magicites but he's fallen off as boss damage resistances skyrocket.

OK is just ok. He needs a sync for triple infusion to really get up there but he still feels weaker than most dedicated mages. Not quite Yshtola level weak though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

OK is good for in realm stuff, probably not ideal for elemental content. A magic team can comfortably beat the DK.

If they gave him an Aegis counter or any of the new counters coming out in JP, he'd be relevant again easily. His main issue is less of him being bad and more of them giving much better options to other characters.

It's curious how they choose characters to make OP and who to leave unremarkable. I have a Terra who I'd love to have better gear for, but she remains with basically just her first Awakening, and it almost doesn't matter because her newer stuff is so mediocre.

Meanwhile you have characters like Zeid and Meia with atb syncs and some others who still don't have awakenings.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Sap with HP Stock can sometimes solid lock a battle for loving ages. Unfortunately due to this game being over half a decade of spaghetti piled on staler spaghetti we'll never see it fixed.

I once foolishly started a torment fight at speed 5, the boss opened with sap, my first action was a 6000HP stock soul break and my second action was 30 seconds into the fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Stupid question but where do you do set the wait settings to a particular speed? Just set the game speed then turn on wait mode?