Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

the end of the first act of permutation city gave me vertigo. events have climaxed, and are winding down, and seeing how much more of the book was left i thought "oh poo poo, here we goooooo" like it was a rollercoaster slowly climbing to its first peak

good stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Adraghast 2 hours ago | next [–]

My first thought was that it's hard to imagine most US presidents deriving joy from music (anyone who thinks Obama actually listens to the music on those annual lists his interns compile is naive). So it made perfect sense that once these records got to the White House they barely made it out of the crates before being shipped off to some warehouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-zH_YEE9Mo

DARPA fucked around with this message at 06:20 on May 10, 2022

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Analytic Engine posted:

got a starting story for each of them? I'm assuming Vonnegut wasn't computery enough to make that list, like they are KV 2.0

Nah he called out our technocratic automated future in Player Piano

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

NY Senate Bill S5474 proposing a universal single payer health plan for NYers (nysenate.gov)
258 points by KoftaBob 2 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 332 comments

lettergram 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Why would you want it nation wide?

Even if you “support it”, I’d much rather watch the implications from the various experiments across states. Then we can select the best option.

Personally, I’d like to see some states ban healthcare outright. Others have full coverage and everything in between. Then wait 10 years and we can see the results. I strongly suspect there would be states willing to do this.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FCKGW posted:

NY Senate Bill S5474 proposing a universal single payer health plan for NYers (nysenate.gov)
258 points by KoftaBob 2 hours ago | flag | hide | past | favorite | 332 comments

lettergram 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Why would you want it nation wide?

Even if you “support it”, I’d much rather watch the implications from the various experiments across states. Then we can select the best option.

Personally, I’d like to see some states ban healthcare outright. Others have full coverage and everything in between. Then wait 10 years and we can see the results. I strongly suspect there would be states willing to do this.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

quote:

This was a sad week for me. I've basically spent the last year working on Terra. Everything moves fast there, so many new and shiny things and people excited for them, most of which did work, until it didn't I guess. I always felt like it had permission to fail, moving fast breaks things, but it really hurt when it happened.

I just removed my last asset there. I'll be eternally grateful to them. I didn't have good job prospects as a fresh engineer from a collapsing economy. They really had an use for an arbitrageur, I took notice and without asking any permission or having any knowledge or experience I was helping all these different markets there not falling off price, and perhaps I have a roof over my head thanks to that. I'm finally going to sleep since yesterday. I guess it's time to get a job, I just need to recover mentally.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

i have no idea what Terra is but it's gotta be cryptoshit, isn't it

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

and how

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
number go up?
number go down?
who can say, i assume the graph is saying something funny

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
I’m pretty sure terra is a stablecoin; it must be pegged to the dollar. the fact that it is worth less than a dollar is, what we call in the biz, a “bad sign”

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

kitten emergency posted:

I’m pretty sure terra is a stablecoin; it must be pegged to the dollar. the fact that it is worth less than a dollar is, what we call in the biz, a “bad sign”

lol

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

more like terra incognito

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the way it works, as far as i can tell, is that you put real money in and buy the terra coins. you then deposit the coins with the people running the thing, which pays out 20% interest denominated in the same coins. then you try to withdraw it and that graph happens. there are some extra complications to how it works, which serve largely to obfuscate the ponzi scheme at the core

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

kitten emergency posted:

so stablecoins are bitcoins but minus the entire loving point of bitcoins, which was to exist and function independently from pig disgusting state-issued currency?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

NihilCredo posted:

so stablecoins are bitcoins but minus the entire loving point of bitcoins, which was to exist and function independently from pig disgusting state-issued currency?

basically, except that was never anything but a fever dream because to do anything worthwhile with it you need to exchange it for something that other people will actually accept, without having to say "hang on let me just give you my wallet's UUID and wait for blockchain confirmation"

*ten minutes later*

"blockchain will be updating any second now"

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
so as far as i can tell, there are at least three hosed up things about terra

it’s a cryptocurrency stablecoin, which is just inherently hosed up

it provides 20% annual returns (denominated in its own currency), which, how could you possibly do while maintaining the peg without something deeply hosed up behind the scenes

it’s vulnerable to being absolutely looted by a whale who’s okay with breaking it forever, which is what actually seems to have happened to it, to the tune of like seven hundred million dollars

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

rjmccall posted:

All the rest is details.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

there’s nothing about any cryptocurrency that isn’t in some way a Ponzi scheme, it’s just how much set dressing you throw up to obfuscate it

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

rjmccall posted:

so as far as i can tell, there are at least three hosed up things about terra

it provides 20% annual returns (denominated in its own currency), which, how could you possibly do while maintaining the peg without something deeply hosed up behind the scenes

it’s vulnerable to being absolutely looted by a whale who’s okay with breaking it forever, which is what actually seems to have happened to it, to the tune of like seven hundred million dollars
there are even more hosed up things

it's also an "algorithmic" stable coin, so instead of pretending they have real dollars like Tether they use their other made up currency Luna to keep Terra at $1 by doing shady swaps/burns

the creator also made a different failed algorithmic stablecoin under a pseudonym (he used the rick and morty guy's name as his pseudonym) and nobody disclosed that until after this one crashed

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

kitten emergency posted:

there’s nothing about any cryptocurrency that isn’t in some way a Ponzi scheme, it’s just how much set dressing you throw up to obfuscate it

my favorite bitcoin thing is the short-lived popularity of so-called "honest ponzis", which openly described themselves as ponzi schemes with bitcoin "y'know, just for fun!"

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

my favorite bitcoin thing is the short-lived popularity of so-called "honest ponzis", which openly described themselves as ponzi schemes with bitcoin "y'know, just for fun!"

kitten emergency posted:

here's the thing: transferring crypto still compares favourably to sticking a roll of us dollars into a capsule and sticking the capsule into a courier's rear end and hoping the courier makes it past the coyotes and border guards of at least two countries and doesn't vanish with your money

if you were about to resort to the latter method, and only then, I can 100% recommend you should use crypto instead

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
the hackers are discussing the Ukraine war. lets see how wrong they can be:

thow-58d4e8b 3 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Notice who is pushing the narrative of Russia bogged down - journalists, politicians and their nominees, economists, and people with an active career in the military. There are also some dissidents in the West pushing the opposite narrative - ex-marine, retired intelligence officer, weapons inspector, colonel from a neutral country. Which group knows more about how a modern war is waged? Which group has a better track record so far? Which group openly admits they're releasing unverified claims in order to shape the public opinion?

> How much would it cost to continuously occupy a country of 48 million largely hostile people

If Russia limits the territorial acquisition to Russian-speaking regions, they'll be fine. Minorities are almost always strongly in support of unification with their nation-state. Some historical examples - 77% of Sudeten Germans voted for Nazi Sudetendeutsche Partei. 99.7% of Austrians voted for unification with Germany in 1938 referendum. 95.6% of Crimeans voted for unification with Russia. 95.7% of Cypriots voted for unification with Greece in 1950

Melting_Harps 1 hour ago | unvote | root | parent | next [–]

> Even Ukraine said they aren’t interested in fighting for the eastern parts of the country because the local population will likely be hostile and make their jobs much harder.
Source?

This is simply not the case, their is intense fighting in the Donbas region by both UA and Foreign legions, and places like Bucha and Kharkiv are all on the East and are all subject to the indiscriminate shelling of residential areas of mainly Ethic Russian Ukrainian citizens in what are some of the worst crimes against of Humanity seen since maybe the Croatian-Serbian conflict.

These places may not be as nationalistic as Lviv, very few places are in fact, but it would be absolutely foolish to say that considering this [0] was just released last month which specifically states it's intention to de-occucpy Crimea from Russia.

And after what is seen in Bucha, Irpin, Kharviv, Mariupol etc... there are no Russian speaking regions who think they are going to be spared from the indiscriminate and needless death they have seen of women, children, men. They now see them for the violent murderers that they are. Those that remained probably left for Russia.

Even the dissenters posting on social media are being tracked down by the Ukrainian military and being arrested/detained which honestly is loving terrifying, but consistent with it's actual intended use--State surveillance.

This isn't 2014 anymore, where it was mainly the Azov holding off things in the Donbas against Russian sponsored separatists and sympathizers, things have drastically changed and while I doubt loyalty is 100% to he Ukrainian government it's really crazy how united that country has gotten since the invasion. I had mixed feelings of Azov because of how they violently dealt with Russian-leaning supporters back in 2014, but after what they've done in Mariupol it goes to show that it's not something they tolerate any longer. They sacrificed themselves in order to protect them in the steel mill and are bravely still the only thing left from total Russian occupation of Mariupol.

People around here don't know this but Bitcoiners were some of the first non Government affiliated volunteers in Ukraine to help back in 2013 during the Maidan Revolution and then 2014 for the war in the Donbas. This is where our technology got battle tested for real, hence why it has played such a pivotal role in distribution for funds when the Ukrainian Central Bank suspended withdraws of UAH on the day of the invasion just as it did during the capital controls and hyper inflation in 2013/14.

I won't go into a tirade about it, but this is why many of us Bitcoiners get so upset when we hear some misinformed arm-chair coder in the comfort of his apartment in SV tells us why 'bitcoin doesn't matter, no one uses it' type diatribes. It's a waste of my time but all it's all there for people to see that it was critical in both 2014 and 2022 to support Ukraine.

And the fact that you can make such blatantly misinformed statements reflects the level of ignorance on all of the aforementioned topics.

0: https://www.president.gov.ua/documents/1172021-37533

almost a good comment, but then a swerve to crypto right at the end made it bad again.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

there is no shortage of putin-slobbering tankies on hn, they're just not very interesting because they post the same way as tankies on reddit or Facebook

eg https://news.ycombinator.com/threads?id=aa-jv

the "bitcoin for Ukraine!" dude was funny though

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Mr.Radar posted:

If Russia limits the territorial acquisition to Russian-speaking regions, they'll be fine. Minorities are almost always strongly in support of unification with their nation-state. Some historical examples - 77% of Sudeten Germans voted for Nazi Sudetendeutsche Partei. 99.7% of Austrians voted for unification with Germany in 1938 referendum. 95.6% of Crimeans voted for unification with Russia. 95.7% of Cypriots voted for unification with Greece in 1950

great list, it made me curious so i looked it up: the referendum approving the act of congress admitting hawai'i as a US state passed by 93.3%

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
they should simply re-write the Ukrainian constitution in rust

epitaph
Dec 31, 2008
zozbot234 1 minute ago | root | parent | next [–]

> He's always been like that - narcissistic, manipulative, dishonest, hateful, lacking empathy, attention-seeking, unhinged.
That only makes it even more impressive that he has managed to accomplish truly world-changing things like building reusable rockets or practical mass-market EV's. Most "narcissistic, manipulative, dishonest, hateful, lacking empathy, attention-seeking, unhinged" folks wouldn't manage to do anything even marginally worthwhile, even in such a key position as, e.g. president of a large superpower.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

quote:

> For example, I don't think anybody would say "I'm not good at Java" without trying to learn it first but people do this with design all the time without giving themselves a fair chance to try.
This is what people say when they see me walking my cat. “I tried he just laid there.” What for like 10 mins once? It can take months and years to get a cat comfortable walking around on a leash in a residential environment. People want turnkey everything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've been trying for decades but my project to hurd cats is never quite ready

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

mystes posted:

I've been trying for decades but my project to hurd cats is never quite ready

maybe you need a gnu approach

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Internet Janitor posted:

Ted Chiang is great, but most of his stories leave me feeling tremendously depressed

boy howdy are you ready to enjoy John Brunner then

mystes
May 31, 2006

eschaton posted:

boy howdy are you ready to enjoy John Brunner then
Stand on Zanzibar had an extremely optimistic ending

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

mystes posted:

Stand on Zanzibar had an extremely optimistic ending

I think you’re mixing it up with The Sheep Look Up

Irish kid to mom: Call the fire brigade! There’s a fire!
Mom: Oh honey, don’t worry, that smoke’s from America.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
I walk my cat with a harness all the time and still know that I’m dogshit at design

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

rayiner 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Success in Canada means moving to America

> grew up in suburban Midwest America. Monoculture is great if you're aligned with the monoculture, but it's quite miserable if you're unwilling or unable to conform.
The conformity is kind of the point and makes it better for the rest of us.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jimmygrapes 1 day ago | root | parent | next [–]

For those outside of the monoculture, the non conformists, why? I don't mean what makes you (nb: using the term you in the general sense) different, I mean why? And then, why are you so certain that your difference or reasons for that difference is somehow better? I can extrapolate that most answers will be things like "LGBTQIAPP+" or based on externalities like skin color, but those are low hanging (and imo pretty bland) fruits. Other answers might be religion (or rejection thereof), or taste in music, or general youthful rebellion/contrarianism. Yet other answers might be entirely unimaginable to me.
But my question remains: why are you this way and why do you think it's a better way to be than the majority? What factors external to the conformist group contributed or influenced you, if any?
For the record, I, too, have fled regions and communities, both physical and virtual, where I was a deviant. I asked myself these questions and I have answers if anyone were to ask. I'm just curious what answers others have come up with, and whether they have ever asked themselves those same questions. I'm also curious if others have found their own answers lacking and how that is handled.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

somebody should remind jimmy that the average human is a chinese woman named mohammed li with slightly less than one testicle

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Internet Janitor posted:

I only read about the finest Honzi steal.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

First up is power, and we will probably have enough solar panels in place either repurposed or rebuilt/rediscovered. Large scale fossil fuel plants will be too complex to manage in post apoc society and we won’t know how to operate em.
TCP/IP will live on, prob through mesh networks and larger corporate networks that sell partial net access. Plenty of hardware sitting in drawers and garages.
The mining hardware will be found and mining facilities used by scavs to trade and bootstrap their society.
Bitcoin enables trade in a hyper-adversarial environment, why would it NOT be useful post apoc

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Geee 25 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Investors pull $7bn from Tether as stablecoin jitt...

Bitcoin is a bet on the collapse of fiat money and central banks. It doesn't mean a collapse of everything. It will cause turmoil, but in the end things will be better.

People are increasingly realizing that central banks don't have any scientific reason to exist, and the economy actually runs better without them. Their only reason to exist is to give unlimited power to governments and funnel wealth from the poor to the rich. Bitcoin is the bet that what I said is actually true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

Oneiros posted:

Bitcoin enables trade in a hyper-adversarial environment, why would it NOT be useful post apoc

"hey i just scavenged 400W of solar panels! just think, we could have light 24/7 for the whole encampment, charge power tools, enjoy movies and music from the before-times..."
"i have a much better idea. tell me, have you read satoshi's whitepaper?"