Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

nwin posted:

I’ve heard this but why exactly and how does it cost you? I’ve got an 800+ credit score and only $15k of a car loan against myself.

I close in two weeks so no big deal waiting…just curious.

I think he's referring to a hard credit check, which most certainly impacts your credit score.

e: a soft credit check however is totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

nwin posted:

I’ve heard this but why exactly and how does it cost you? I’ve got an 800+ credit score and only $15k of a car loan against myself.

if you're closing in two weeks it will not matter in the slightest what you do to your credit right now

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

nwin posted:

It hits your credit on multiple axes. It's a hard pull, it's a new credit line (average age of accounts), more revolving credit, presumably you're going to use it (higher credit utilization), and ultimately it frightens and confuses your loan officers, who are skittish and easily spooked.

I opened a new $500 Home Depot card for the sweet discount before my first mortgage closed and it ended up costing me an additional .5%. I didn't have any other debt at the time.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Tricky Ed posted:

It hits your credit on multiple axes. It's a hard pull, it's a new credit line (average age of accounts), more revolving credit, presumably you're going to use it (higher credit utilization), and ultimately it frightens and confuses your loan officers, who are skittish and easily spooked.

I opened a new $500 Home Depot card for the sweet discount before my first mortgage closed and it ended up costing me an additional .5%. I didn't have any other debt at the time.

I'm guessing whatever models they use for some reason place a heavy emphasis on people taking out a bunch of debt then abandoning things. I opened a couple of CCs for the SUB this spring and now I might have to get a mortgage and I'm deeply regretting it.

It's actually really frustrating in a way because churning subs is really smart if you can do it effectively, and would indicate a high chance you're properly utilizing your credit, but I'm pretty sure when the powers that be use the term "based on your creditworthiness" what they actually mean is "based on your profitability".

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Just wait until you close if it doesnt matter anyway. They aren't pulling your credit every day but who the hell knows what some jackass might do at the last minute.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I’ve closed on two mortgages and both times they explicitly advised me to not open new credit until signing.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Tatsuta Age posted:

if you're closing in two weeks it will not matter in the slightest what you do to your credit right now

Please do not listen to this person.

Your mortgage company will absolutely gently caress you if you do this.

They see you opening a new line of credit right before closing the mortgage as you not having enough capital to close on and furnish your house. Opening a new line of credit will at the very minimum introduce a bunch of chaos as you frantically explain to the bank why you did it.

At worst, it will kill your rate lock, push back your closing, or very worst case you will not get final approval for the mortgage.

Also be aware you’re likely going to take a 30-50 point hit on your credit the second you close. At 800+ I doubt it’ll impact your ability to open a Costco card, but still. Just wait till the day after or the day of closing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Mortgage Lenders ask for like 7 copies of May 2021's Pay Stub 4 times through the process and you think they'll just be like "oh a new 10k line of credit cool cool"???

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

FilthyImp posted:

Mortgage Lenders ask for like 7 copies of May 2021's Pay Stub 4 times through the process and you think they'll just be like "oh a new 10k line of credit cool cool"???

It's actually pretty dumb though, right, like what difference does it make if you open a new line of credit right before or right after. Like does that magically mean you'll max it out? That your DTI ratio will really change? It's an incredibly archaic way of judging "creditworthiness" and totally opaque, and almost certainly massively racist.

There's no way they are using deep learning to actually figure out the odds of being repaid and determining your loan and rates on that basis. There's obviously a ton of other poo poo going on behind the curtain.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

pseudanonymous posted:

It's actually pretty dumb though, right, like what difference does it make if you open a new line of credit right before or right after. Like does that magically mean you'll max it out? That your DTI ratio will really change? It's an incredibly archaic way of judging "creditworthiness" and totally opaque, and almost certainly massively racist.

There's no way they are using deep learning to actually figure out the odds of being repaid and determining your loan and rates on that basis. There's obviously a ton of other poo poo going on behind the curtain.

No one ever said banks were logical about the process but they will absolutely gently caress you.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Lmao “that’s so dumb, that can’t be how it really works” I hear, for the 900th Time this year.

Yes, it’s that dumb. That’s how it works. Don’t open any new credit.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Banks are still giving out balloon loans right now and they're back up to being a significant portion of the mortgage market and I can't stop laughing that we get to relive 2008 again.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

We can just short the housing market like The Big Short right?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I paid off one credit card and opened a new one with my credit union and it tanked my score by 42 points, so the mechanisms of capitalist hell world are mysterious and terrible.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i went to costco today

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

My first mortgage got delayed right before closing because the mortgage company failed to report a 15 year old card of mine to their underwriter.

Don’t be stupid and gently caress with your credit in the middle of closing, do eat the Costco dog

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Chinatown posted:

i went to costco today

credit score +1

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

nwin posted:

Just wait 2 weeks + 1 day. You might get lucky and have nothing happen, but there is a chance it'll cause the mortgage company to bail on you, making you restart the entire house buying process.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

You know what tho? Nobody is considering what not having a Costco Executive Membership is doing to his social credit score. Might be hurting pretty bad by not being part of the club.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

poisonpill posted:

You know what tho? Nobody is considering what not having a Costco Executive Membership is doing to his social credit score. Might be hurting pretty bad by not being part of the club.

I have the exec. I was asking about the credit card.

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
:siren: :siren: :siren: I spotted liquor and wine at a Colorado costco yesterday!!! they had previously only been able to sell beer. my spirit is full. of spirits.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

ixo posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: I spotted liquor and wine at a Colorado costco yesterday!!! they had previously only been able to sell beer. my spirit is full. of spirits.

Hell yes which one?

ixo
Sep 8, 2004

m'bloaty

Fun Shoe
thornton off of 160th by top golf. not my usual congregation but we were on a hunt trying to find those massive bags of cheap potting soil (they're all gone :argh:)

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Supreme Allah posted:

Just wait until you close if it doesnt matter anyway. They aren't pulling your credit every day but who the hell knows what some jackass might do at the last minute.

Basicslly exactly what our loan guy told us when we clised earlier this year.

Will it probably be totally fine? Ya probably, but stupid poo poo happens all the time, dont gently caress with anything for a couple more weeks

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My wife ordered $4,000 of costco luxury vinyl plank I hope it doesn't suck

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Isn't one of the benefits of vinyl plank that its relatively inexpensive? What makes it "luxury"?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

bird with big dick posted:

My wife ordered $4,000 of costco luxury vinyl plank I hope it doesn't suck

Shouldn't

Have a pro install it then have your house wide open as much as you can for a few weeks, let it off gas

Very easy to keep clean and look nice, don't ever get it wet wet, damp with water dust mop and vacuuming dust bunnies is all you need.

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Isn't one of the benefits of vinyl plank that its relatively inexpensive? What makes it "luxury"?

...it's from costco.
:dafuq:

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thicker vinyl, fancier patterns, sometimes a pre-attached underlayment, and also sometimes the protection layer comes with some texture so it doesn't just feel like a slab of vinyl.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

ixo posted:

is this like a mormon costco wtf

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Alan Smithee posted:

is this like a mormon costco wtf

Some states have dumb liquor laws where only the hard stuff can be bought in certain (usually state run) stores

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Mustached Demon posted:

Some states have dumb liquor laws where only the hard stuff can be bought in certain (usually state run) stores

Colorado has big liquor store power, not state run though. I know of three now that sell liquor which is great. Long ago each liquor store had to be owned independently. A big store got slapped for running two family run stores as if the were one business a few years ago.

Fort Collins, Lone Tree, Lakewood and Thornton all have liquor.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Mustached Demon posted:

Or you can be Texas and have even dumber laws like any store selling liquor must be closed by 9pm, cannot open before 11am any day of the week, and cannot do any business on Sundays. Business is defined as any "work" being done in the building, so if you have employees in at any hour on a Sunday to do inventory, cleaning, or restocking you can't sell liquor.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

jisforjosh posted:

Or you can be Texas and have even dumber laws like any store selling liquor must be closed by 9pm, cannot open before 11am any day of the week, and cannot do any business on Sundays. Business is defined as any "work" being done in the building, so if you have employees in at any hour on a Sunday to do inventory, cleaning, or restocking you can't sell liquor.

lmao jeez

NY used to have a law that you couldn't sell alcohol before 11AM on a Sunday but it got thrown out sometime in the 90s. But that didn't stop old people from having Very Strong Opinions and giving me an earful over how I allowed the person in front of them buy booze, back when I worked retail.

One of those old people was my dad and, that was fun.

e: got into an argument with a gas station employee over this once. It was like 1AM on a Sunday and we ran out of beer at a house party and he wouldn't let us buy more over a law that hadn't existed for 20 years.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Meanwhile in San Diego there's a liquor store you actually drive through.

Like, through the middle of it

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/alta-dena-drive-in-dairy-san-diego

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FCKGW posted:

Oh we have those all over Texas, but same rules, aren't open on Sundays.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

jisforjosh posted:

Oh we have those all over Texas, but same rules, aren't open on Sundays.

have you tried freedom

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

jisforjosh posted:

IIRC, Costcos in Texas get around this by having the liquor be in a separate part of the building you enter from a different door. It might not even require a membership?

Washington used to only allow liquor to be sold in special government owned liquor stores, but there was a ballot measure about ten years ago, funded in large part by Costco, to get rid of those rules.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FCKGW posted:

i used to go here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

gonna buy a liter and a half of franks red hot sauce