Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think they are just a lts for "business" and a rapidly updated one for consumers (at least i've never spotted an actual difference), but the fact that they are almost the same makes it doubly annoying if you find yourself using both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

windows nt already is that dec/microsoft hybrid

:hmmyes:

e: also everyone admitting to using non-wsl gcc on windows in 2022 is a disgusting deviant

agreed for "desktop linux", as the only acceptable linux installs are embedded and headless server, and you should really be farming your builds off to a server

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/thomasforth/status/1523680201862918144

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wait wtf is the built in app then?

You can already use the O365 teams app for personal use if you really want to for some inexplicable reason I don't understand how they're different?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

mystes posted:

Wait wtf is the built in app then?

You can already use the O365 teams app for personal use if you really want to for some inexplicable reason I don't understand how they're different?

i see you're new to microsoft products,

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

the tweet after that:
"ps. Teams remains an excellent piece of software and a huge achievement by Microsoft. It has both kept us productive during a pandemic and outcompeted its competitors and achieved market dominance. Peak Microsoft both in all bad ways and all the good ways."

on what loving planet is teams in any way, shape, or form "excellent" lmao

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

teams loving sucks I’ve posted about it itt before but sometimes it literally just sits there and loads and fails. I hate it

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

microsoft doesn't make actually make any productivity, communication, developer or business applications, just xbox games and platforms of a range of budgets and qualities. nerds have just tricked managers into thinking that that their very bad computer games are making the company money somehow by using lots of long words and charging them a lot of money.

mystes
May 31, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

microsoft doesn't make actually make any productivity, communication, developer or business applications, just xbox games and platforms of a range of budgets and qualities. nerds have just tricked managers into thinking that that their very bad computer games are making the company money somehow by using lots of long words and charging them a lot of money.
Teams is an even worse idle game

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
its the best messenger that comes bundled with office365

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
do you mean microsoft365?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Perplx posted:

its the best messenger that comes bundled with office365

are you sure about that? did you install everything? there's gotta be another IM client hiding somewhere in office due to bloat and feature creep

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Clark Nova posted:

are you sure about that? did you install everything? there's gotta be another IM client hiding somewhere in office due to bloat and feature creep
who do you think they are, Google?!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i just put my notes into an excel spreadsheet, print it out and mail it

it looks something like this

mystes
May 31, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah this was my first thought too

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

pretty sure sign your over the hill if you think office overall counts as bloated in 2022. launch every office app at once and 50% of the memory will be used by teams alone.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

the office web apps are actually pretty needs suiting for most use cases. it's mildly impressive they didn't gently caress it up horrifyingly badly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

the office web apps are actually pretty needs suiting for most use cases. it's mildly impressive they didn't gently caress it up horrifyingly badly

pfft, the office team invented the modern web, introducing ajax to make outlook on the web work

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

pfft, the office team invented the modern web, introducing ajax to make outlook on the web work

never, ever underestimate microsoft's capacity to ruin things needlessly

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

a guy offered me "the bing bar" in a back alley once and i aint falling for that one again

mystes
May 31, 2006

Truman Peyote posted:

a guy offered me "the bing bar" in a back alley once and i aint falling for that one again
If you refuse he'll throw a chair at you

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

oh cool, xbox game pass just quit installing anything. google consensus is that since the two or three things to reset haven't fixed it, i get to do a full wipe and reinstall of windows if i want this to ever work again. this is so much better than steam !!

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Microsoft has a incredible ability to make things they have complete control over not work. reminds me of an error I encountered where for months I could not install windows 10 updates (tried all the troubleshooting steps multiple times) until I find a random reddit post saying to disable a certain windows mixed reality service and it actually worked

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

lmao

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
whoa since when did excel have lambdas

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buck Turgidson posted:

whoa since when did excel have lambdas
Since Simon Peyton Jones and crew randomly added them a year ago for some reason

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i had to disable ipv6 on my network adapter to get game pass downloads to work. go gently caress yourself microsoft.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

carry on then posted:

i had to disable ipv6 on my network adapter to get game pass downloads to work. go gently caress yourself microsoft.

tbf i’ve had to do this in macos on occasion to get networking to work at all. i guess i musta been on a network that didn’t have ipv6 routing set up right

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Gentle Autist posted:

tbf i’ve had to do this in macos on occasion to get networking to work at all. i guess i musta been on a network that didn’t have ipv6 routing set up right

this is apparently a problem unique to a combination of game pass and windows 11. everything else on the system could download stuff just fine.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

carry on then posted:

this is apparently a problem unique to a combination of game pass and windows 11. everything else on the system could download stuff just fine.
ipv6 not working is pretty normal for a lot of random services

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it is?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Khorne posted:

ipv6 not working is pretty normal for a lot of random services

lol no

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I had a hell of a time trying to do a lot of stuff with ipv6 when I was on vacation last year. I ended up using ssh tunneling through an ipv4 vps I had to play games and access critical saas sites for work stuff.

Lots of times ipv6 connections only work because they have an ipv4 failover when something isn't accessible through ipv6. But there are some sites that aren't truly accessible through ipv6, appear to be accessible so the failover is not used, and then fail miserably to function (like frontend is ipv6 enabled but one of the microservices is not). ipv6 is still extremely niche in most markets so many services & providers don't even notice. And many who do, like my previous employer, don't care and won't bother fixing it.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 16, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Khorne posted:

when I was on vacation last year. I ended up ... work stuff

i think i found the problem

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
w/r/t the current thread title

i am in process of setting up my first ever windows 11 machine and i can report that the operating system is a complete piece of poo poo, even relative to yospos baseline standards

it is so loving awful

windows millennium rear end operating system

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s fine actually. all windows is like that

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

kinda wondering if "millennium edition" would sell better now that we live in a right-wing theocracy

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

FMguru posted:

w/r/t the current thread title

i am in process of setting up my first ever windows 11 machine and i can report that the operating system is a complete piece of poo poo, even relative to yospos baseline standards

it is so loving awful

windows millennium rear end operating system

use explorer patcher if you want to make it look like windows 10 in whatever ways, preferably the dev version it has more fixes

after using that it's fine

e: except for the missing tablet tiles mode and worse screen/hdr stability, that sucks especially for tablets and 2-in-1s, but I've made my peace with it

e2: also VR is a bit spotty on 11 too

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"just do a bunch of what used to be Linux User poo poo to make your computer usable, nbd"

is there like an arch wiki equivalent for windows these days?