Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i loving love spreadsheets. obviously i have a spreadsheet for my household budget and another that i use to track stock trading info, but my love for spreadsheets goes much deeper than that. every hobby starts with a spreadsheet and all events, purchases, activities and analyses go into the spreadsheet as time goes on. playing a video game with economic mechanics? spreadsheet, of course, i’m not about to shoot from the hip and just allow certain resources to be wasted while others are in demand. making a life decision with multiple linked variable factors? definitely going to make a spreadsheet to solve that problem. friendly poker/board game/anything tournament with friends – that’s getting a spreadsheet to determine payout structure

some of my favourite spreadsheets i’ve made/used recently:
- i’m playing dyson sphere program lately and that is a spreadsheet makers dream game. factorio-like, so i’ve got a spreadsheet with calculated production chains so i could easily blueprint whole segments of a factory for whatever resource i need
- mtg: arena spreadsheet. whipped up a little something that scrapes data from mtggoldfish for certain deck archetypes, checks their win rates, and creates decks that use the winningest cards from the winningest decks. made this one so i didn’t waste any of my wildcards experimenting with loser decks
- brewing spreadsheet. i’ve been told this one is a waste of time to use because of software like beersmith and such, but i have all the data input from my local brewing supplier for prices and quantities, plus 3 dozen recipes and the data from over 130 brew days in it so i’m gonna keep using it. probably my most developed spreadsheet in terms of content
- hydro rate calculator. my local electricity supplier recently introduced a new way to pay: tiered prices vs. the current time of use prices. the useless utility website very poorly compared the two and how to choose which so i made a spreadsheet to determine which was better with convergence/divergence points based on our electricity use habits (sticking with time-of-use, fyi)
- battletech 3d printing and tracking spreadsheet. playing battletech (the tabletop game) lately, made a shared sheet for friends to request mechs for 3d printing and to track which have been painted and based and are ready for battle. this one is just a classic “list” type spreadsheet without any calculations going on but i’ve been using it a whole lot and every time i open it i know i’m about to be doing some fun mech stuff which i’ve been loving lately

post itt every time you use/work on an awesome spreadsheet you love or to just post about cool spreadsheets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
this is the weirdest j4g intro yet

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

spread sheets on your rear end op, because this thread is poo poo

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

eve spreadhseets are sadly, banned from this discussion

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I don't give a poo poo about your nerd reports why aren't we playing MegaMek you fuckin dweeb

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

I don't give a poo poo about your nerd reports why aren't we playing MegaMek you fuckin dweeb

megamek is just a giant spreadsheet disguised behind a barely functioning ui :ssh:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Ibdont like spreadsheets they are for nerds and the bad kind of computer touchers

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Nooner posted:

Ibdont like spreadsheets they are for nerds and the bad kind of computer touchers

mods don't use spreadsheets nooner

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Spreadshits

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
i use excel

i hate it

if u can do a "pivot table" or whatever gently caress you

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
But do you excel at excel

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Colonel Cancer posted:

But do you excel at excel

yeah

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nerd

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chinatown posted:

i use excel

i hate it

learning to use the pivot table is when you unlock level 2 excel user abilities

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
i liked excel because rather than do my job at work, i could put in a random number formula in the cells at the end of the day

now we have some proprietary program they made and i can't lie

:/

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

you sound like a fuckin n erd op

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

some of my favourite spreadsheets i’ve made/used recently:
- i’m playing dyson sphere program lately and that is a spreadsheet makers dream game. factorio-like, so i’ve got a spreadsheet with calculated production chains so i could easily blueprint whole segments of a factory for whatever resource i need

I wish to know more about how this one works - it it purely calculations or is there some excel magic where you can make flowcharts and stuff?

is this one of those 'macros' I've heard of in whispers?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

KitConstantine posted:

I wish to know more about how this one works - it it purely calculations or is there some excel magic where you can make flowcharts and stuff?

OP makes macros but has a micro peen

naem
May 29, 2011

excel allowed me my current career trajectory which is going well enough I don’t have to use excel as much anymore, thanks capitalism!!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I've touched that battle tech spread sheet... With my weiner.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

KitConstantine posted:

it's incomplete and kinda janky cause i just started playing but yeah i'm running a simple vba script to make it work atm. i just put in the inputs and outputs of each process, the time to complete, and the building it uses it, and then when i click the "i want to make this one" button, it tells me how many of each type of building i'll need for raw/intermediate materials and what surpluses it will generate. it's a work in process

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Buce posted:

you sound like a fuckin n erd op

obviousl;y.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

naem posted:

excel allowed me my current career trajectory which is going well enough I don’t have to use excel as much anymore, thanks capitalism!!

i use excel way more at home than i do at work (guess my line of work tho lol)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

I've touched that battle tech spread sheet... With my weiner.

you've entered it so many times you put the "spread" in spreadsheet

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I prefer spreadsheets and excel

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

idc what it is I just wanna play megamek w/goons now quit jibbering about your math garbage

e: also I once worked an upper level help desk position and a ticket got sent up to us from wherever because a user wanted us (3rd level support) to teach him how to use pivot tables for some poo poo he had to put together for his boss. lol no I am not going to teach you that. That's not broken or an issue, that's just hard.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Chinatown posted:

i use excel

i hate it

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Sexcel

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Big Beef City posted:

idc what it is I just wanna play megamek w/goons now quit jibbering about your math garbage

let's fuckin go then

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

e: also I once worked an upper level help desk position and a ticket got sent up to us from wherever because a user wanted us (3rd level support) to teach him how to use pivot tables for some poo poo he had to put together for his boss. lol no I am not going to teach you that. That's not broken or an issue, that's just hard.

Go to the airport. Fly to YYZ, we'll pick you up in a RX7 and we'll play battle tech and drink craft beer.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Saalkin posted:

Go to the airport. Fly to YYZ, we'll pick you up in a RX7 and we'll play battle tech and drink craft beer.

yeah this is an option as well

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

You can touch my dragon ;)

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I use it for budgets and budget related activities. It causes the fairer sex to dry out faster than Lake Mead.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
This thread is a #REF

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

You can invigorate your daily chores by thinking of them as spreadsheets. Every time you make your bed, you're spreading sheets. Every time you clean your room, you're cleaning up your rows and tables. Taking a shower is deleting junk data out of the spreadsheet that is your body.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

deep dish peat moss posted:

You can invigorate your daily chores by thinking of them as spreadsheets. Every time you make your bed, you're spreading sheets. Every time you clean your room, you're cleaning up your rows and tables. Taking a shower is deleting junk data out of the spreadsheet that is your body.

this guy absolutleyy gets it

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dyson vacuum cleaners cyphon iron out of your blood. :drac:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Saalkin posted:

You can touch my dragon ;)

I'm the one paint stripe angled the wrong way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

naem posted:

Learning VBA doubled my income. Excel is great

Now word, that can gently caress right off

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 16, 2022