Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

quote:

Do non-human animals learn to associate human speech with specific objects in everyday life?

My cat absolutely understands what the word "Hungry" means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I've trained multiple cats to know what "wanna eat?" means (wet food meal). They all got very very excited and would start vocalizing if I asked them that.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
we give our boys these sort of paste-y treats from a tube that we call "goops". when we say "GOOPS FOR THE TROOPS, TURN 'EM INTO POOPS" they know exactly what time it is

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

We give Alby a soup that we consistently refer to as lunch. He gets vocal if he hasn't had his lunch, or somebody says lunch.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Polio Vax Scene posted:

We've known for a long time they can associate words with consequential events, but this study is about if they link sounds to to extant objects: if they can associate a name, basically. That's more cognitively complex.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 17, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

One of our cats that passed away a few years ago would come running if you called for any of the cats

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

One of our cats responds to "pss pss pss" and the other one just looks at us funny

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Speaking of food things, though, for like the last five years we had her Misty needed to eat her pills and I was the one who'd give them to her, and we did it by putting them inside slivers of meat (often took a few tries) and I'd give her some extra as a treat but I remember that my sister came home at one point and was very wierded out because we'd developed a kind of sign language for different parts of the process? Like at the end when we were done I'd hold up my hands flat to show them empty and she'd immediately disengage and go to the kitchen for her regular food because she understood that was the sign for "we're finished, no more treats"

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Cats are good at reading body language as well as what we say to them. Cats are smarter than people give them credit for.

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

venus de lmao posted:

i wanna see tiny head cat

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hi Magda!

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It's Magda! Oh how I thought I'd never see you again!

relative_q
Sep 9, 2008

shame on a kitty who try to run game on a kitty

wu buck wild wit tha trigga

Kwyndig posted:

It's Magda! Oh how I thought I'd never see you again!

magda has been taken care of by a friend of mine for the past eight years. she is well looked-after, thankfully, and jackson is with her, too.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trig Discipline posted:

we give our boys these sort of paste-y treats from a tube that we call "goops". when we say "GOOPS FOR THE TROOPS, TURN 'EM INTO POOPS" they know exactly what time it is

lmao

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Kwyndig posted:

Cats are smarter than people give them credit for.

That's not saying much, of course. :yaycat:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

quotin

magda

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Trig Discipline posted:

incredible lmao

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

my cats come when i whistle, especially nina. sometimes they fight too. it's really weird.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I'm trying to make Scoops more cultured by giving him slide shows.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

ready for take off

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello I'm here for the boat to cat island please

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
sadie I can summon from nearby by snapping my fingers. tried to teach the other one this but no luck so far

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Megabound posted:

Hello I'm here for the boat to cat island please

literally take a boat from maui to lanai and visit the cat sanctuary. hundreds of cats looking for a lap

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

marceline woke me up this morning to lay on my chest and purr for an half an hour and even started kneading a bit :kimchi: then she sat on the edge of the bed watching me while still purring.

don't worry marcy, i won't leave you again any time soon :)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mango has taken to burying himself under the blankets as the weather gets colder

/
Did I leave the oven on?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Carth Dookie posted:

Mango has taken to burying himself under the blankets as the weather gets colder

/
Did I leave the oven on?

Does this cat have a fort warms yet

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

VelociBacon posted:

Does this cat have a fort warms yet

Nyet.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Trig Discipline posted:

That's cat gogurt, friend.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
Spouse calls it meat lube and it upsets me every time

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Fashionably Great posted:

Spouse calls it meat lube and it upsets me every time

food grade meat slurry

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Polio Vax Scene posted:

"Kitty food" is the magic word, as in "are you ready for some kitty food?"

My 16 year old cat also knows "are you ready to go to work?" or "it's time for work" (that means it's time to go to our room, and I won't be joining, because I have to go to work), and "it's time for sleepin's/snoozes" (that means we're both going to our room). Depending on how comfortable she is, she'll either get up and walk right into our room, or she'll stand up and wait for me to give her a ride.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

everyone in the house (everyone) gets all honked up about the word "treats"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m trying to go from “treats” being the word to “cookies”

when I say “let’s go to bed” but it sounds like “skottabed” to the cats they know what’s up. Rokit gets up and starts trotting to the bedroom and if I don’t follow he looks back and meows at me with an annoyed look on his face

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I my cats learned the word "Gotcha", and they know that if they don't run away I will pick them up to cuddle. This turned into a general call for playtime because I chase them around until either they get to their food bowls, which is a safe space for them (that is, I dont pick them up, but I don't have any qualms petting them :colbert:), or they jump into my bed between the covers, when the chase turns into the monster game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I think that's the title of his most popular vid? Lately I've been writing haikus in the comments about Nyan-san whenever he shows up. That's the short-hair, mostly-cream creamsicle that lives by the pond and is very friendly and chatty.

Wish I could adopt Nyan-san :(