Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Beeftweeter posted:

...what benefits, afaik it's been a massive waste with super low uptake and is forcing them to default?

I imagine there's at least one person who heavily benefited from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

yes, every lightning network connection is between two people and they have to commit upfront to every bitcoin that they ever want to spend over it (which will get locked into the lightning channel). if it runs out you have to spend enormous bitcoin transaction fees creating a new channel.
then if you want to send bits coin to someone you don't have a direct connection with you have to solve an NP-hard problem to traverse the graph and pay nofees at each leg of the journey.

if you send $100 it also consumes $100 worth of the up-front liquidity from each connection it passes through, so if someone doesn't send a similar transaction backwards through those same nodes they will eventually get exhausted and have to be recreated

Holy lmao. What a simple and easy solution!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh good i didn't just imagine the NP-hard problem part

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Shame Boy posted:

oh good i didn't just imagine the NP-hard problem part

i mean my eyes kinda glazed over and i read it as "p2p multiplex, but with blockchain!" and just kinda assumed it

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
is it still np-hard if you just want to find any working path instead of the most optimal? don't get me wrong, it's a stupid system either way

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
in practice they avoid the np-hard bit by throwing out the decentralization and just using a few giant centralised lightning nodes with a hub-and-spoke model

as long as you keep n low enough it doesn't matter that your pathfinding algo is O(2^n) or whatever

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Well regardless, if they're making those throughput estimates without considering the topology of the network then those estimates are hilariously inaccurate.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

ryde posted:

Well regardless, if they're making those throughput estimates without considering the topology of the network then those estimates are hilariously inaccurate.

i think you're wildly overestimating their networking abilities here

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
bitcoiners misinterpreting or misrepresenting data to make bitcoin look good?!:monocle: i never

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Misrepresenting throughput? Ridiculous! Everyone knows that you measure a network's bandwidth by counting every single connection in the network and then multiplying that number by the largest theoretical connection speed that a connection can have.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Boxturret posted:

bitcoiners misinterpreting or misrepresenting data to make bitcoin look good?!:monocle: i never

scams involving cryptocurrencies? psh. pshaw. humbug, i say. humbug

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Beeftweeter posted:

...what benefits, afaik it's been a massive waste with super low uptake and is forcing them to default?

gotta get more marks in on the ponzi to prop it up i guess

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Mercury_Storm posted:

gotta get more marks in on the ponzi to prop it up i guess

- the one who did nothing wrong
- force five
- the one in the funky bunch

welp im outta marks

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Weatherman posted:

welp im outta marks

no such thing in crypto

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

the lightning network has achieved its goal of giving bitcoiners a response to people to complain that bitcoin is slow and expensive

if it's not actually useful for anything that's because it's still in beta. just like the internet which took 150 years from its invention to commercial success

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

The np stands for "No Problem!"

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
according to verizon's numbers they handle ~a billion calls in the us a day. figure the other carriers are about the same then that works out to between 10k and 100k call a second depending on time of day and so on

now imagine trying to make phone calls by finding a busy line that the person you're trying to reach already happens to be on

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
drat imagine how big that number was back when people actually made phone calls

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
My high school friend I haven't talk to in years, that is just getting into buttcoin sent me a message today knowing I am the "computer dude"

"I just put all my money into coins, it can't get any lower. This is time to buy!!!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

drat imagine how big that number was back when people actually made phone calls

imagine being an operator that has to physically connect them :psypop:

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Why does the guy named Ross look like Chandler? It's very confusing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Bone Crimes posted:

Holy lmao. What a simple and easy solution!

Simple and elegant!

quote:

Say Alice opens a channel with her favorite coffee shop and deposits $100 worth of bitcoin in it. Her transactions with the coffee shop are instant because she has a direct channel with it.

Bob, who has another channel open with the grocery store he visits most frequently, also buys coffee from Alice’s shop. The connection between Alice, the coffee shop, and Bob ensures that Alice can use funds from her balance with the coffee shop to buy groceries from Bob’s store. Similarly, Bob can use his grocery store balance to conduct transactions with businesses in Alice’s network.

If Bob closes his channel with the grocery store (and there are no other customers in common between the coffee shop and grocery store), then Alice will have to open another channel with the grocery store to make purchases there. In this way, a web of transactions is created and routed between multiple lightning nodes in a decentralized fashion.

[Alice has a channel with the coffee shop and another with bob]

Alice: I want to buy a coffee.
Coffee shop: Sorry but Bob used all your lightning credit. We need to close the channel and then create a new one for you to buy more coffee.
Alice: But I don't have BTC left! I still haven't settled my balance with Bob. I have to close the alice-bob channel to get the bitcoins that he used to buy coffee from you.
(Bob walks in)
Bob: It's simple, I close my channel with you then you get the BTC I used to pay for the coffee (which are now worth 30% less) to open a new channel with the coffee shop and then we re-open our channel
Alice: So you can empty my coffee shop credit again? I don't think I'll want to create joinder with you from now on!
Bob: Oh, come on! Don't be mean.
Alice: Fine! I'll allow you to continue to transact on my coffee channel.
Bob: (You rear end in a top hat, I'll spend all the coins on the coffee channel and then try a forced closure when she goes on vacation) Have a great day!
Alice: (I bet he'll try to steal my coins during my vacation, I'll JUSTICE STRIKE his sorry rear end and get all the coins) You too!

From the wiki:

quote:

In order for Alice to steal Bob’s funds, she must attempt to close the channel non-cooperatively (without the knowledge of the other party) and speculate at a moment when the other side is not online. If these conditions are met, then Alice will broadcast an older channel state and hope that Bob will not get online within the established time (usually 24 hours) to automatically set the record straight.

Bob’s node knows that the transaction history is different from Alice’s malevolent revisionism, and it will engage the justice system if the internet connection (or power) gets restored before the time limit. If Alice is successful in her attempt, then she will irreversibly steal funds she illegitimately requested from Bob due to the channel closing and the transaction being written in a Bitcoin block. But if Bob returns within the time limit, then Alice will be penalized by losing all the bitcoins she put on the channel

Why, yes, you can indeed try to steal all the coins from a channel and if the other party doesn't justice strike you in time then you get the coins, otherwise they get them.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 16, 2022

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

trucutru posted:

Why, yes, you can indeed try to steal all the coins from a channel and if the other party doesn't justice strike you in time then you get the coins, otherwise they get them.

Wow, this could lead to some really messy situations if there were any unscrupulous people involved in bitcoin.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Sweating profusely, fingers pressed to temples, rotating 12-dimensional chessboards in your mind as you attempt to formulate the optimal Frappucino strategy

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

can anyone explain to me how they made finding an optimal path thru a graph into an np hard problem?

is it somehow to do with Decentralization and no node knowing the “full” picture? but IP routing works fine idk

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

also lmao at the justice system

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
a problem is np-hard if thinking about it makes your nipples hard hth

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Tormented posted:

My high school friend I haven't talk to in years, that is just getting into buttcoin sent me a message today knowing I am the "computer dude"

"I just put all my money into coins, it can't get any lower. This is time to buy!!!"

there's lots of support at zero

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
It was supposed to be np as in 'no problem', but it's actually 'no, problem'.

Stephen Harper
Apr 13, 2011

Canada is a Northern European welfare state in the worst sense of the term, and very proud of it.

cool av posted:

can anyone explain to me how they made finding an optimal path thru a graph into an np hard problem?

is it somehow to do with Decentralization and no node knowing the “full” picture? but IP routing works fine idk

a coiner i know asked for coding help about this once in slack and iirc it’s basically because the goal is rent-seeking — i forget exactly but it’s something like you want to minimize the number of nodes you visit while maximizing the fees that nodes can collect, so you’re trying to find the longest of the shortest paths

it was all very stupid sounding and i probably have the details wrong

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
also known as the traveling scamsman problem

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
look, crypto is still technically in its infancy, and it's understandable that things like the lightning network are still a bit rough around the edges

i mean i'm sure everyone here remembers when encryption started popping up on the web for commercial sites and you had to find someone who had made a transaction either directly with the site you wanted to buy from or with someone who did, or some longer chain from you to the store. then of course you had to execute those key exchange protocols in your head. and then you could finally send your credit card number over to get scammed. well crypto is still in that phase

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

look, crypto is still technically in its infancy, and it's understandable that things like the lightning network are still a bit rough around the edges

they better figure it out quick, Bitcoin is 14 years old so they've only got 4 more years before most coiners lose interest

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Jose Valasquez posted:

they better figure it out quick, Bitcoin is 14 years old so they've only got 4 more years before most coiners lose interest

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

lol

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Jose Valasquez posted:

:hmmyes:

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Jose Valasquez posted:

lol

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

orange sky posted:

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1526202366906798080?t=FWGdyspn5GpmS65iXEixRw&s=19

Here goes another one. Never heard of it so it's probably small potatoes

Their pinned tweet is a job listing for new social media manager

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

i mean i'm sure everyone here remembers when encryption started popping up on the web for commercial sites and you had to find someone who had made a transaction either directly with the site you wanted to buy from or with someone who did, or some longer chain from you to the store. then of course you had to execute those key exchange protocols in your head. and then you could finally send your credit card number over to get scammed. well crypto is still in that phase

Isn't the lightning network getting constantly hyped up as a huge step forward for bitcoin dominance because it lets you actually buy things

Just incredible that it turns out it's the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen. Having to check your bank account every 24 hours to make sure a coffee shop didn't run off with your entire grocery budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Isn't the lightning network getting constantly hyped up as a huge step forward for bitcoin dominance because it lets you actually buy things

Just incredible that it turns out it's the stupidest poo poo I've ever seen. Having to check your bank account every 24 hours to make sure a coffee shop didn't run off with your entire grocery budget.

they've been yammering about lightning network for six or seven years at least and before that it was sidechains that would fix all of bitcoin's problems.