Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelticPredator posted:

Depends how this is done, and what the tone is.

He was never punished iirc so

You don’t gotta hand it to him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

I feel like it’s too early to tell for most, but I guess you could say James Gunn because he got screwed over. But he was “cancelled”. And he basically apologized and left social media until he got some jobs again.

The Gunn tweets were terrible but I think that was more a case of him just being a dipshit edgelord at the time he wrote them which was a decade before they got dredged up again. Let's not forget that he got his start at Troma. And of course there was that scene I mentioned in Super. It should also be pointed out that the guy who dug that poo poo up is a known sexual assailant who actually wrote a manual about how to rape someone. Just another MAGA chud trying to own the libs. And Gunn is different in that he didn't get accused of actually assault or harassing anyone he just said a bunch of really stupid poo poo a long time ago on Twitter. So his being cancelled was a soft one and plenty of people immediately came to his defense (granted that hardly means anything because plenty of people in entertainment still defend Roman Polanski because he did movies good). I'm sure if you took just about any one of us you'd find something really lovely and stupid in their post history ten or more years ago.

DeimosRising posted:

Close friend of barely less than open pedophile Jimmy Urine and threw pedophilia themed parties with him as a “joke”

Okay that's news to me. :stare:

edit: That's a lot worse than being a moron on twitter.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Robert Downey Jr? He was down and out because of his substance abuse issues but to my knowledge seems to have grown up a bunch.

Watch it turn out he has a stable of nazi catboys now that I've said this.

He had a substance abuse problem which is different from literally punching down on people

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The question was if anyone who got canceled came back. The only one I can think of is Gunn who got fired from his job. Regardless who did what, he still got fired that day.

Hired back everything worked out.

There’s not many that have because most of the people who get cancelled are due to assault and abuse.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

The question was if anyone who got canceled came back. The only one I can think of is Gunn who got fired from his job. Regardless who did what, he still got fired that day.

Hired back everything worked out.

There’s not many that have because most of the people who get cancelled are due to assault and abuse.

I guess it comes down to what exactly is being cancelled and what is a comeback. Because Louis CK certainly counts as well any other cancelled comedian I can think of. If you're a white cishet man in the entertainment business you can't fall too far and it's not long before you dust yourself off and get back up. I guess the difference when it comes to Gunn is that his "comeback" was much faster and easier than anyone else. He lost nothing and ended up right back to where he already was. That was more of a hiccup than anything.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mel Gibson keeps coming back and it’s a weird mix of self funding and people just putting him in things hoping nobody remembers

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, pretty much.

Edit: Response to CPL

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I think the better question would be if anyone who was 'cancelled' actually went away and stayed a pariah? Well at least in recent years. I mean sure Michael Richards pretty much disappeared after his meltdown. But it's not like any so called 'cancellings', that didn't involve criminal proceedings, have actually been long term.

Which is why Hirsch's movie using a bunch of dog whistles like 'cancel culture' and 'woke upcoming comedians' doesn't fill me with belief it's a well thought out movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It could be bad. The way it could work is if the story less about the teacher teaching the kids but the kids teaching the teacher. Any other way it leans a bit rough.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I’ll never forget the dude arrested for jerking off on a plane the day after CK won a Grammy.

It’s so stupid the seemingly useless pain in the rear end to keep track of what celebrities have done lovely things. But if we don’t make them pay then people think the same lack of rules apply to them.

It’s Also so loving annoying that relatively OK people pay the highest price. Gunn and Franken FIRED, Trump (hell Clinton) president. Biden still No Idea as manufacturing outrage is so much easier than anything else.

I still believe that Gunn is probably the least terrible major Hollywood Director as a person, after Raimi. And that Al Franken is probably still the least terrible major politician.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Al Franken was photographed sexually assaulting an unconscious woman.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Remulak posted:

I still believe that Gunn is probably the least terrible major Hollywood Director as a person, after Raimi. And that Al Franken is probably still the least terrible major politician.

Campaigning on being “slightly less lovely than the alternative” is why the democrats loving suck. Franken deserved to go.

As for Gunn being the least terrible major Hollywood person, that just seems like something you decided based on no particular evidence. Is Gunn less terrible than, say, David Fincher? Well, I don’t remember anything ever coming out about Fincher and he didn’t go through a public “pedophilia and rape are funny phase” in his 40s so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he’s less terrible than Gunn.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Despite all the extremely online ideas about Zack Snyder, everyone who's actually worked with him seems to be willing to take a bullet for the guy.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Remulak posted:

Is this based on anything at all? I'm not really sure what 'major' means, but there are a lot of directors out there. With Marvel alone, are directors like Chloe Zhao or Peyton Reed more problematic? Are Greta Gerwig or Jordan Peele terrible? They're pretty major Hollywood directors now.

Franken too, like he doesn't seem like a complete monster but he still did inappropriate stuff and I can think of plenty of politicians who didn't. Are we just talking about white men?

They seem like the least bad type of the various 'cancelled' people but it's still weird to cut them slack when there are lots of people who go through their whole careers without starting poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

He’s a very interesting answer. Because unlike most “canceled” celebs, he actually served time. He was punished. You can have opinions on if it was enough, but society actually got their pound of flesh, and he took that punishment. They never happens. It’s why I think he’s kind of been let back in. Even if what he originally did is still horrifying.

The only thing I can think of he’s done recently is beating up that one guy, it it sounds like that guy really pushed him into it, and he tried to stop it calmly first. Not good, but not as bad as he once was, for sure.

He's also turned around personality wise, got properly medicated for his issues (Manic Depressive, I think) and got a lot healthier. It also became clear what an incredibly broken and damaged person he is, and how much of his fighter persona was a product of things that the people around him, who profited from his excesses, were allowing to go untreated.

It helps that he's not famous for the same thing as before. He's now famous as 'weirdly zen former crazy man boxer.' he just smokes heaps of weed and does a podcast, occasional bit of acting or voicework.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Ror posted:

Is this based on anything at all?
In honesty I don’t even remember making that post, so no. It might have been only referring to the cancelled, although the writing is so terrible even I have no idea.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like Zack Snyder, people have said they liked working with Gunn. Maybe someone didn’t but idk no one said he yelled at anyone or tried to drown his actors like king of the world James Cameron

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Snowman_McK posted:

He's also turned around personality wise, got properly medicated for his issues (Manic Depressive, I think) and got a lot healthier. It also became clear what an incredibly broken and damaged person he is, and how much of his fighter persona was a product of things that the people around him, who profited from his excesses, were allowing to go untreated.

It helps that he's not famous for the same thing as before. He's now famous as 'weirdly zen former crazy man boxer.' he just smokes heaps of weed and does a podcast, occasional bit of acting or voicework.

I waffled on Tyson for a bit, but you know what? He went to prison for his crime, worked on improving himself, successfully reintegrated into society after getting out, and hasn’t reoffended. IMO that’s the ideal outcome of the system, so I’m cool with him getting back into society like he has.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Didn't Tyson just beat the poo poo out of a guy on a plane a couple of weeks ago?

Not sexual assault and the guy was being annoying.... but uhhh, still bad.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

That guy absolutely deserves what was coming to him.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Bugblatter posted:

Didn't Tyson just beat the poo poo out of a guy on a plane a couple of weeks ago?

Not sexual assault and the guy was being annoying.... but uhhh, still bad.

The guy was apparently drunk and rowdy, and Tyson had asked him to stop bothering him already before the dude threw a bottle at him.

In an ideal world he wouldn’t have punched him but at the same time you can see how a lot of people might have had the same reaction to some belligerent drunk dickhead throwing things and talking poo poo.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anyone else would have knocked this guy out sooner - this guy kept pushing MIKE loving TYSON. He's lucky he's not dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3C4pWwDqps

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

From all appearances it looks like a drunk rear end in a top hat was trying to score internet points by harassing Tyson on the flight and throwing poo poo at him, and they got punched in the face for their behavior. I've got no trouble chalking that one up under "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone else would have knocked this guy out sooner - this guy kept pushing MIKE loving TYSON. He's lucky he's not dead.

Jesus, I woulda punched him too. And that's with his friend framing the situation.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vintersorg posted:

Reminds me of stories of yore (the 80s) of drunk assholes in bars constantly trying to start poo poo with professional wrestlers. I guess some of that is due to "lol wrestling's fake, these people can't even fight irl" but you still need to be a special kind of idiot drunk to see a man twice your weight, who is famous for dazzling feats of athleticism, and go "yep, Imma punch him real good!"

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yeah I feel like the right word for what wrestling is is “scripted” rather than “fake” because they’re very much still doing every jump, flip, dive, etc and have to be built like a Greek god

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Khizan posted:

I waffled on Tyson for a bit, but you know what? He went to prison for his crime, worked on improving himself, successfully reintegrated into society after getting out, and hasn’t reoffended. IMO that’s the ideal outcome of the system, so I’m cool with him getting back into society like he has.

Only recent fault I can find with Tyson recently was backing a line of edibles shaped like ears.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Grendels Dad posted:

Reminds me of stories of yore (the 80s) of drunk assholes in bars constantly trying to start poo poo with professional wrestlers. I guess some of that is due to "lol wrestling's fake, these people can't even fight irl" but you still need to be a special kind of idiot drunk to see a man twice your weight, who is famous for dazzling feats of athleticism, and go "yep, Imma punch him real good!"

I’ve heard that recently with Daniel Craig complaining that any time he goes into a bar he has to deal with drunk assholes who want to fight James Bond. I’m shocked there aren’t more stories of famously tough guys getting forced into fights in public.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’ve heard that recently with Daniel Craig complaining that any time he goes into a bar he has to deal with drunk assholes who want to fight James Bond. I’m shocked there aren’t more stories of famously tough guys getting forced into fights in public.
bruce lee dealt with some crazy stuff

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

kliras posted:

bruce lee dealt with some crazy stuff

Yeah I saw a documentary where he got into a big fight with this stuntman who may have killed his own wife

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vintersorg posted:

I'm going to make one gigantic leap of assumption based on something my comedian friend told me: a lot of young kids in audiences these days heckle comedians with the goal of having the comedian make fun of them, with the comedian mocking them personally being the peak comedy experience if you grew up watching endless heckler videos on youtube apparently. Having watched that vid I'd say that that guy's entire goal was to goad Tyson into beating him up so he could have an "I got beat up by Mike Tyson story".

Tyson still shouldn't have done it, but I don't exactly blame him either.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 16, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

CPL593H posted:

I guess it comes down to what exactly is being cancelled and what is a comeback. Because Louis CK certainly counts as well any other cancelled comedian I can think of. If you're a white cishet man in the entertainment business you can't fall too far and it's not long before you dust yourself off and get back up.

I'd argue as to the extent of CK's comeback, though that's obviously still ongoing so maybe things will change. He was producing multiple tv shows, was getting paid upfront for comedy specials that appeared on TV and streaming services, and was heavily connected with other comedians and producers, which he parlayed into frequent appearances on late night shows, SNL hosting gigs, and the occasional movie role. Since 2018, he's appeared at comedy clubs and self-published a couple of stand up specials. That's falling pretty far.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Baronash posted:

I'd argue as to the extent of CK's comeback, though that's obviously still ongoing so maybe things will change. He was producing multiple tv shows, was getting paid upfront for comedy specials that appeared on TV and streaming services, and was heavily connected with other comedians and producers, which he parlayed into frequent appearances on late night shows, SNL hosting gigs, and the occasional movie role. Since 2018, he's appeared at comedy clubs and self-published a couple of stand up specials. That's falling pretty far.

He just won a Grammy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Baronash posted:

He still plays theaters and he was self publishing his specials before he got me tooed. I know someone who had tickets to see him at an arena and the only reason that show didn't happen was because of the pandemic. The only major change there is that he doesn't produce tv shows anymore.

And they just gave him a Grammy.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

YOLOsubmarine posted:

He just won a Grammy

And that is insane. But it's still a far cry from where he was. And is more a sign of where the industry wants him to be, not where he actually is.

He's still doing better than he should, don't get me wrong. But he's no where near the heights he was before the truth came out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Just a fun fact since this is a pretty dark thread a lot of the time, UFC fighter and extremely nice guy Krystof Sosjinski, who's done MMA and pro wrestling, got asked which was harder and answered 'pro wrestling' without a moment's hesitation.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Pro wrestling is the hardest parts of major athletics combined with acting and performing arts.

It seems like it's massive work for an extremely minor reward so the people who get in being some of the worst, power tripping assholes imaginable makes sense because otherwise why do it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Coffee And Pie posted:

Yeah I saw a documentary where he got into a big fight with this stuntman who may have killed his own wife

Yeah but they got interrupted so I guess we will never know who was tougher.

Also, Bruce Lee was never accused of any abusive assholery was he?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tarantino says he used to beat up stuntmen

Tarantino also likes to beat up his talent so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

And that is insane. But it's still a far cry from where he was. And is more a sign of where the industry wants him to be, not where he actually is.

He's still doing better than he should, don't get me wrong. But he's no where near the heights he was before the truth came out.

He had a tour of theaters and arenas and the only thing that stopped it was the pandemic. He fell all the way from wildly successful to very successful. I'd even go so far as to say that if he didn't outright admit that all the allegations against him were true he'd still be yukkin' it up on late night talk shows.