Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remember when Tartantino decided he was going to be the one to "strangle" Diane Kruger on camera for Inglourious Basterds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Aside from pressuring Uma Thurman to driving the unsafe car have there ever been any other allegations against him? He problematic for various reasons but I feel like people just desperately want him to turn out to be a sex creep so they can throw him on the fire for some weird reason.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Davros1 posted:

Remember when Tartantino decided he was going to be the one to "strangle" Diane Kruger on camera for Inglourious Basterds?

quote:

He treated me with utter respect and never abused his power or forced me to do anything I wasn't comfortable with.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Alan Smithee posted:

Tarantino says he used to beat up stuntmen

Tarantino also likes to beat up his talent so

He reportedly purposely injured a stuntman in Enter the Dragon because the guy disrespected him.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'm glad she was cool with it, but if he was the one to suggest he do it, instead of her saying "I'd feel safer if it was you instead of a trained fight coordinator", then he was still exploiting his position of power over her.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If Kruger says that it was a collaborative effort and not an exploitation of her, then it's pretty gross to keep trying to cast her as something other than a consenting, collaborator in an artistic endeavour.
She chose, as a professional actor to do a scene in a way she was comfortable with, with a scene partner/director she trusted, to achieve an unsettlingly authentic shot. She was happy with it then and seems happy with it now. Stop acting like she isn't an adult with agency just because she's a woman, and you think the Foot Director is a weirdo. It's hosed. Criticise the abuses that are there, not the ones you want to be there.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 17, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's a bit in Ghostbusters with a haunted chair that sprouts arms and grabs Sygourney Weaver. One of the arms gropes her breast. Under other circumstances it could be gross as gently caress to film, but the hand in question belonged to her husband. If you've got to film something like that, having it done by someone the performer trusts is the way to do it. Good on Weaver for insisting on it, and for Ivan Reitman agreeing to it. At least I assume that was what happened.

The film is not without its problems though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 17, 2022

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

One of the things I find odd about Tarantino is that he insists he does not have a foot fetish when he seems like the kind of guy who'd be like "yeah I like feet what of it"

It gets me thinking about the intersection of fetishes and a persons overall personality. By which I mean Tarantinos films are fixated on feet, but theres also a lot of bathroom scenes and food scenes, and his filmmaking is characterised by a focus on odd, distinctive details. And a foot fetish is only considered a 'fetish' compared to say, looking at boobs boobs because feet are a weird thing about the body that not everyone cares for. In some movies the male gaze is boobs and butt, in a Tarantino movie its feet.

Which is not to say he's not attracted to feet, but maybe its so parcel with his overall personality that he can't see it as a 'fetish'.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Or if he admits it then all the allegations of him doing creepy poo poo with actors’ feet suddenly have potential weight and merit instead of just being a meme on the internet he can laugh off.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

deoju posted:

There's a bit in Ghostbusters with a haunted chair that sprouts arms and grabs Sygourney Weaver. One of the arms gropes her breast. Under other circumstances it could be gross as gently caress to film, but the hand in question belonged to her husband. If you've got to film something like that, having it done by someone the performer trusts is the way to do it. Good on Weaver for insisting on it, and for Ivan Reitman agreeing to it. At least I assume that was what happened.

The film is not without its problems though.

I’m shocked that it was planned honestly, like I only noticed the grope once someone pointed it out but it looks totally accidental

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

massive spider posted:

One of the things I find odd about Tarantino is that he insists he does not have a foot fetish when he seems like the kind of guy who'd be like "yeah I like feet what of it"

He, uh, doesn't exactly hide it

:nws:
https://youtu.be/OcNLD9FCiSk

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Like James Cameron films have absolutely poo poo loads of shots of feet, more than Tarantino even, but they're not fetishised.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Campaigning on being “slightly less lovely than the alternative” is why the democrats loving suck. Franken deserved to go.

As for Gunn being the least terrible major Hollywood person, that just seems like something you decided based on no particular evidence. Is Gunn less terrible than, say, David Fincher? Well, I don’t remember anything ever coming out about Fincher and he didn’t go through a public “pedophilia and rape are funny phase” in his 40s so I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and say he’s less terrible than Gunn.

Fincher is a known for being grumpy and short with people

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

sponges posted:

Fincher is a known for being grumpy and short with people

He and I have that in common

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

For anyone wondering, they both got found guilty. Eight years for her, fourteen for the husband.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Do not start another Tarantino derail

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Coffee And Pie posted:

He and I have that in common

Go to hell

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

sponges posted:

Go to hell

I guess all three of us have that in common

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

He reportedly purposely injured a stuntman in Enter the Dragon because the guy disrespected him.

The guy challenged him to a fight, the way I've heard it.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

B-Rock452 posted:

While filming the Batman '66/Green Hornet crossover episode, Bruce Lee refused point blank to have Kato lose a fight to Robin and "joked" to Burt Ward that if the producers didn't change it, they would fight for real when it came time to film. The producers changed the fight to a tie before we could know if Lee was kidding or not.

AceOfFlames fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 17, 2022

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Vintersorg posted:

Anyone else would have knocked this guy out sooner - this guy kept pushing MIKE loving TYSON. He's lucky he's not dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3C4pWwDqps

"Hey check me out! I'm acting like an rear end in a top hat to someone just sitting there minding their own business! Hahaha! Now they've asked me politely to stop, but I'm going just keep on being an rear end in a top hat! Oh, and we're on a plane so it's impossible for them to just walk away, they're trapped in here with me no matter what I do! Wooooooo! Time for some racial slurs! Now I'm going to start throwing things at them-OW! What the gently caress?! I got punched!?! Why did that happen!?!?!"

Yeah, that dude worked really hard to get punched in the face.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The guy challenged him to a fight, the way I've heard it.

That was one guy but early on when everyone is being introduced on the island he kicks a guy so hard that people behind him end up catching him and it wasn't actually planned for the people to catch him but Lee was (reportedly) angry at him and purposely didn't pull his kick (or punch I legit forget)

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

Didn't Tyson just beat the poo poo out of a guy on a plane a couple of weeks ago?

Not sexual assault and the guy was being annoying.... but uhhh, still bad.

No. dude was harassing him, moved seats to harass him more, flight crew did nothing. in that case Tyson punching him was gently caress around find out. I'm sick of liberals acting like violence is never the answer. There are plenty of times throwing hands is justified. You shouldn't go through life thinking no behavior is going to get you smacked, and if you go through life thinking no actions could lead to you getting smacked, you're too privileged and completely head in the sand of where society is headed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Maybe if you're a professional boxer you shouldn't repeatedly hit people in the head for being pricks, because you might loving kill them. And no, starting a physical fight on a plane is not justified. Jesus Christ.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Maybe if you're a professional boxer you shouldn't repeatedly hit people in the head for being pricks, because you might loving kill them. And no, starting a physical fight on a plane is not justified.

Really, you might kill someone hitting them in the head repeatedly whether you're a boxer or not. Not worth starting a fistfight if you're not prepared for that possibility.

That said, Iron Mike was in the right on this one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People should get punched sometimes.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
It's not like he popped off on the guy right away. From all accounts, he exhibited a remarkable amount of restraint, especially from the guy who said that social media has made too many people comfortable running their mouths without getting punched in the face.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is not right to physically attack someone for being annoying and stupid but it is also very very hard to empathize with the person who got attached because they had every possibility in the world to deescalate the situation.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

Maybe if you're a professional boxer you shouldn't repeatedly hit people in the head for being pricks, because you might loving kill them. And no, starting a physical fight on a plane is not justified. Jesus Christ.

If you’re a professional boxer you actually know how to control your punches, indeed it is necessary that you be able to throw punches of varying power and speed, both because it’s important in a fight and also because in sparring if you constantly try to murder the other guy you will eventually get a rep where nobody will spar with you or every sparring partner is trying to take your head off. A drunk dude winging punches from the hip is more likely to accidentally kill someone.

Also, sometimes physical violence is the correct response. Not often, but sometimes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The situation is that the guy in question was being filmed the entire time, kept mugging for the camera and was literally hoping for getting hit as the desired outcome, so good job getting what he wanted. There's got to be an understanding that there is some level of constant verbal and physical harassment where striking back is acceptable in order to stop it especially when you aren't able to leave the situation.

It would've been better if Mike could've just waved down a flight attendant and gotten the guy moved away from him, but this is less about physical violence being the first option and about someone relentlessly harassing a famous person hoping they hit them and a human being who doesn't have the patience of a saint smacked him around a few times. For a guy who could punch hard enough to nearly kill other professional boxers he basically love tapped that guy.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 18, 2022

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Yeah watch the video, I’m not even pearl clutching, dude was psyched to be punched by Mike Tyson. I’m sure Tyson didn’t mean it that way but if anything he got rewarded for his behavior.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Imagine being such a dipshit that you purposely want to get socked in the face by one of the greatest boxers who ever lived. Social media was a huge loving mistake.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Imagine being such a dipshit that you purposely want to get socked in the face by one of the greatest boxers who ever lived. Social media was a huge loving mistake.

Even without social media that guy would probably love to have "that time i got beat up by mike tyson" as his bar story for the rest of his life, unfortunately.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I mean this is a thread about sexual assault in Hollywood and we're using cute nicknames and cheering on a violent rapist as he beats someone up. Maybe the cheerleading could happen somewhere else.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Maybe him punching someone shouldn't have been posted in the Sexual Assault thread in the first place.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

HopperUK posted:

I mean this is a thread about sexual assault in Hollywood and we're using cute nicknames and cheering on a violent rapist as he beats someone up. Maybe the cheerleading could happen somewhere else.

I can't speak for anyone else but I didn't offer any comment on Mike Tyson or if he was in the right in this situation. Him having been one of the greatest boxers of all time is an objective fact as is the fact that you'd have to be pretty goddamn stupid to pick a fight with a guy who is world famous for winning awards for punching people really hard.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I think there is also a place here for discussing America's schizophrenic view on self-defense.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Talk poo poo, get hit. :decorum: is only ever used as an excuse to act like a shithead to people minding their own business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

LionArcher posted:

No. dude was harassing him, moved seats to harass him more, flight crew did nothing. in that case Tyson punching him was gently caress around find out. I'm sick of liberals acting like violence is never the answer. There are plenty of times throwing hands is justified. You shouldn't go through life thinking no behavior is going to get you smacked, and if you go through life thinking no actions could lead to you getting smacked, you're too privileged and completely head in the sand of where society is headed.

...so you're saying everyone should learn how to fight? If so, I'm hosed.