Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Bluemillion posted:

Have any of us actually heard music on an audiophile rig? What if that poo poo is actually mindblowing? I mean probably not but what if?

i honestly don't know if this counts or not but i went to a friend of mine's rich granpas house once in like 1999 and he had a whole set up with a perfectly symmetrical room and "super audio CDs" or some poo poo and it just sounded like a normal cd with an aged nerd talking over it about fidelity or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Audiophilia is snake oil, just buy decent poo poo and be happy with it

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Corla Plankun posted:

it just sounded like a normal cd with an aged nerd talking over it

:drat:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

idk about you guys but every time I go to listen to music lately I need to turn it off or else I can’t concentrate

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
lol no slightly different I've come around to unironically liking all star and adding it to the playlists I listen to regularly

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’ll find a few really good new-to-me songs or albums and listen to them in the car, get bored of them after like 100 plays, then revert to enjoying the silence while driving

I can’t remember the last time I was able to listen to music while working and be able to get anything done

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

RokosCockatrice posted:

lol no slightly different I've come around to unironically liking all star and adding it to the playlists I listen to regularly

Astro Lounge is actually a good album.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I can’t remember the last time I was able to listen to music while working and be able to get anything done

depends on the music. stuff with lyrics is probably not gonna be great. downtempo electronic is good. somafm has a ton of great stuff for this.

bad jazz is ok for work but good jazz is generally not

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

lofi anime hip hop beats to chill/study to

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Achmed Jones posted:

depends on the music. stuff with lyrics is probably not gonna be great. downtempo electronic is good. somafm has a ton of great stuff for this.

bad jazz is ok for work but good jazz is generally not
groove salad on somafm is great for work. as is lofi chill etc, and of course V A P O R W A V E

i can't do english lyrics for work. other languages, usually, are fine

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

groove salad on somafm is great for work. as is lofi chill etc, and of course V A P O R W A V E

i can't do english lyrics for work. other languages, usually, are fine

hell yeah right there with ya. groove salad, gs classic, fluid, vaporwaves, i also like mission control and similar

i usually rebroadcast somafm and listen to it from an old radio that i have on the book shelf. audio quality isn't as good as on the monitors attached to the computer but it's nice to have it totally separate, and it enhances the lo-fi-ness

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

TOOT BOOT posted:

Audiophilia is snake oil, just buy decent poo poo and be happy with it

this is correct. a modern pair of AKG K240s sounds exactly the same as a classic pair but costs like fifty bucks and can be driven by literally any DAC. they’re like 32 ohms which is less than a pair of dirty buds from an old ipod

if your job is literally music production sure go buy some huh duh six hunges or some other dumb professional grade closed backs or whatever but if you’re into octuple insulated speaker cables and tube amplifiers for plugging your cassette deck into you need audiophile detox

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Achmed Jones posted:

i usually rebroadcast somafm and listen to it from an old radio that i have on the book shelf. audio quality isn't as good as on the monitors attached to the computer but it's nice to have it totally separate, and it enhances the lo-fi-ness

this actually seems chill af and makes me want to go see if my old sony CFM is still tucked away in my childhood bedroom somewhere

it would be so satisfyingly nostalgic to listen to my podcasts on it over the air

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/80snewsscreens/status/1449713184122748932

https://twitter.com/80snewsscreens/status/1447932423921192967

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 17, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

The allosexuals are at it again! :argh:

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005
Modern DSP stuff is so drat cool. With a $40 microphone and less than an hour of time fuckin with free software, you can dial out all those weird little resonances and phase shifts and stuff, and make a speaker perform in ways traditional analysis says isn't even possible. The filtering and analysis techniques aren't new, but the accessibility sure is and man is it a game changer.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
if you want music to sound better just take drugs

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

YOSPOS images thread v1.9: computer chuckles

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Lowclock posted:

Modern DSP stuff is so drat cool. With a $40 microphone and less than an hour of time fuckin with free software, you can dial out all those weird little resonances and phase shifts and stuff, and make a speaker perform in ways traditional analysis says isn't even possible. The filtering and analysis techniques aren't new, but the accessibility sure is and man is it a game changer.

could you explain a bit more about this, with what software i would use to do this, and how? sounds neat

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Fake news everyone knows master chief's suit jacks him off

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we have sealed ourselves away behind our money, growing inward, generating a seamless universe of self.
ellie, i never took you for a prescriptivist

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

infernal machines posted:

ellie, i never took you for a prescriptivist
I don't care what anyone takes me for, just as long as they take me

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

Broken Machine posted:

could you explain a bit more about this, with what software i would use to do this, and how? sounds neat
I use Room EQ Wizard with a Dayton UMM-6 to measure stuff and generate some basic minimum phase filters. Then I export that to rePhase to turn those instead into linear phase filters, and drag some sliders around to even out weird phase/group delay stuff. It will do some math and spit out a filtered impulse response that you can throw into something like Equalizer APO for PCs, Viper or JamesDSP on android, or obviously a dedicated DSP if you have one nice enough to support impulse response correction. If I'm doing multiple discrete channels in a weird configuration like a car, I'll use REW again with the filters active to measure for time delay again and get the soundstage right. It looks pretty daunting at first but it's pretty easy and cheap and fast and extremely effective.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

impulse response tech is cool for modeling guitar amps and cabinets too. I used to have a modeling amp that let you create new IR profiles with your own amp, and download other peoples profiles. the results are pretty impressive, especially for recording. live performance didn’t sound as good as a real amp, or maybe I didn’t have the right “full range flat response” speaker

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Lowclock posted:

I use Room EQ Wizard with a Dayton UMM-6 to measure stuff and generate some basic minimum phase filters. Then I export that to rePhase to turn those instead into linear phase filters, and drag some sliders around to even out weird phase/group delay stuff. It will do some math and spit out a filtered impulse response that you can throw into something like Equalizer APO for PCs, Viper or JamesDSP on android, or obviously a dedicated DSP if you have one nice enough to support impulse response correction. If I'm doing multiple discrete channels in a weird configuration like a car, I'll use REW again with the filters active to measure for time delay again and get the soundstage right. It looks pretty daunting at first but it's pretty easy and cheap and fast and extremely effective.
geezus i wish i understood how to use this

im currently at the stage where im controlling physical speaker routing using voicemeeter banana

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

hold up - did they poll it beforehand?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Bluemillion posted:

Have any of us actually heard music on an audiophile rig? What if that poo poo is actually mindblowing? I mean probably not but what if?
i built sound studios in a university for years, including a room built with $14k worth of Genelec monitors + subs. we used thin rear end 22AWG gauge cables to do it, the kind you buy in 1000' bulk boxes cause it's cheap. know why? because it means jack poo poo what cables you use. we plugged the speakers into AC outlets that sometimes leaked water when it flooded. none of that matters, i.e., audiophile stuff is snake oil bullshit

story:

the absolute saddest thing i ever read was some copy in 'Music Direct', an audiophile catalog that will make you both laugh and cry. there was a $30,000 turntable you could buy (doesn't even come with a needle). the copy with it read something like:

quote:

"You know that with this in your system, your friends will be begging you to come over just for a little taste. AND, you'll find that people you barely know will want to get to know you so they too can listen!"

it's like the sad kid on the playground who buys a flashy toy to make friends, but it's so much sadder when it's a grown-rear end man...

Lowclock
Oct 26, 2005

AWWNAW posted:

impulse response tech is cool for modeling guitar amps and cabinets too. I used to have a modeling amp that let you create new IR profiles with your own amp, and download other peoples profiles. the results are pretty impressive, especially for recording. live performance didn’t sound as good as a real amp, or maybe I didn’t have the right “full range flat response” speaker
Yeah that stuff is really cool too. It's the same thing just a different target. That response was likely the difference between ideal and that cabinet, instead of your cabinet and that cabinet, so I imagine it sounded pretty weird. If you flattened out your stuff first it probably would've sounded really close. The only problem for live stuff is there's some inherent delay depending on how many samples you need to make your corrections. I seem to usually end up with like 30-60ms of delay, which isn't noticeable even when playing games, but might get weird if you had to play an instrument along with it I guess.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
mods are asleep, post big hat ringo

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

rotor posted:

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

rotor posted:

best beatle

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it's just occured to me that the turtles are basically nude

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

rotor posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:hmmyes:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Lowclock posted:

awesome, thanks much Lowclock. i'll have to check out what i can do w/ a basic mic and these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe