Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Edit: Yes, I was on too many edibles. Probably not the smartest thread idea but the *passion* was there

Edit Edit: This explains what the gently caress is going on. Short answer is Humboldt County has the same problems as rust belt cities i.e. not enough strippable copper wire to support a junkie community

Analytic Engine posted:

The article sounds generic but it's explicitly set in Eureka CA, Humboldt County. Thorpe went to my high school a few years earlier and wrote a different article slagging off EHS, which I read during lunch at EHS (pretty surreal).

Lots of people are connected to this area somehow, like Spongebob's creator getting a Marine Bio degree at Humboldt State University. Which unfortunately became Cal Poly Humboldt or something, now a STEMlord college instead of liberal arts. I would have been a redditor or 4chan rear end in a top hat without the mandatory liberal arts education HSU beats into every student, even math/physics. Like 24 general ed classes IIRC. Made me a loser goon instead of a loser sociopath like SV techbros

Who's going to pioneer the next nerd generation of posters after David Thorpe's abandonment of our hometown? Can anyone bring crazy California regionalism to bear on the capitalist 2022 hellscape of "Humboldt Polytechnic bullishit fuckoff universiitat"?

Edit: damning evidence of parochialism
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/the-friend/

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

pity reply

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Sorry you aren't an important Californian

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Analytic Engine posted:

Who's going to pioneer the next nerd generation of posters after David Thorpe's abandonment of our hometown? Can anyone bring crazy California regionalism to bear on the capitalist 2022 hellscape of "Humboldt Polytechnic bullishit fuckoff universiitat"?

Edit: damning evidence of parochialism
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/the-friend/

OP, I can't parse anything from that. I am pretty sure one of us is having a stroke, and after a brief scare, I've decided that it isn't me. You might want to check on that.

But thank you for the article. I don't think I read that one back when it was new and I found it pretty funny. Worth a chuckle.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Bah, Humboldt!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

OP, I can't parse anything from that. I am pretty sure one of us is having a stroke, and after a brief scare, I've decided that it isn't me. You might want to check on that.

But thank you for the article. I don't think I read that one back when it was new and I found it pretty funny. Worth a chuckle.

David Thorpe is infinitely funnier than me, and he hails from a doomed-by-capitalism county. God speed to the proto-goons *potentially* here to learn that we aren't as bad as Lowtax

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
agreed op, agreed

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

This thread can be a rust-belt / similarly middle-america hellworld megathread

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Edit: nm

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 18, 2022

naem
May 29, 2011

I once emailed david thorpe the word croisscroyessin (from one of his articles) and he emailed me back “thanks!”

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

drat the front page hasn't been updated for almost two years

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
attn: furby, we were wrong

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party
op please log off and take your pills

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I've decided that I support the op

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The gently caress are you talking about and no I'm not clicking a link or reading anything you post

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Idgi but if the OP is from humbolt they are probably on a lot of drugs so i guess it makes sense

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

isn't that a kind of apple?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lucky Guy posted:

Yes, but you use it to smoke weed

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Not sure what point OP here wants to get across, but what I do know is that the front page needs some new content.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

fish and chips and dip posted:

Not sure what point OP here wants to get across, but what I do know is that the front page needs some new content.

Updating the frontpage will cause the entire forums to implode apparently

Jeff could solve all the issues with migrating to xenforo with a wordpress front page, but instead he is spending all on bath salts or something :rolleyes:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Nooner posted:

Idgi but if the OP is from humbolt they are probably on a lot of drugs so i guess it makes sense

i wish i was from humboldt :(

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I love how people put out 2.0s when they never made a stable 1.0. Humboldt is like a decent .98 but like just making it work isn’t a 2.0. :shrug:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Nooner posted:

Updating the frontpage will cause the entire forums to implode apparently

Jeff could solve all the issues with migrating to xenforo with a wordpress front page, but instead he is spending all on bath salts or something :rolleyes:

what and you wouldn't?

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Yes, but you use it to smoke weed

that's a high quality apple

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Perhaps he should dine on humboldt pie

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i was hoping that this thread would be about a new variety of squid

perhaps a promotional tie in to the upcoming release of splatoon 3, enter the splatlands
https://splatoon.nintendo.com/news-video/splatoon-3-release-date/

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I remember humboldt is mad about legal weed lmao

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Lucky Guy posted:

I thought it was a big dangerous squid.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
sit down

be humboldt

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Humboldt to the polls

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I've been there

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Nooner posted:

this guy gets it

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

I remember humboldt is mad about legal weed lmao

yeah, the hippie "businessmen" here can't compete with agribusiness and LA warehouse growers

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

Lucky Guy posted:

I thought it was a kind of cheese. Cheese and apples are pretty good together

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

one day Imma move to eureka and just own all of you. I'm getting closer with every move

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Is this a squid thread?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Big Beef City posted:

The gently caress are you talking about and no I'm not clicking a link or reading anything you post

This but with less cursing and in a said in a more jovial manner but you know, in the subtext, I'm just really loving stickin' it to you, OP.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
more like dumbdolt

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Bea Nanner posted:

more like dumbdolt

god drat it, walked right into that one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Literally A Person posted:

This but with less cursing and in a said in a more jovial manner but you know, in the subtext, I'm just really loving stickin' it to you, OP.

The link is alright. IMO, the joke aged pretty well. Different people will take away different things, but read now, it comes off like the article satirizes the passive acceptance of absolutely terrible poo poo as just a part of life, and that still resonates. So does the wistful, backward-glancing nostalgia for the past, "when things were better" (even when they were very much worse). Isn't it sad how things are changing?

The "creature" design is kind of cool, too. Very simple but effective.

I still don't understand what it has to do with any of the words OP keeps posting. I hope OP gets the help they clearly need.