Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I like the manga with a similar premise, I bet this will be fine too

One thing I find interesting about the manga is how the protagonists all like characters and shows that aren't unpopular, but that are frequently mocked. The two leads are Shinn fans, while the newbie is an IBO enthusiast genuinely moved by Orga's death despite having seen it memed long before she watched the show.

It's a logical extension of the whole theme of difficulty embracing a hobby that the people around you don't respect, which is kind of clever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

If you like that, there's a Thai person who did a really elaborate Delftware Zaku not that long ago. Unfortunately I can't grab all the images in that set because Google is trash and keeps redirecting me to some dipshit science fiction writer who credited someone entirely unrelated to the thing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

One thing I find interesting about the manga is how the protagonists all like characters and shows that aren't unpopular, but that are frequently mocked. The two leads are Shinn fans, while the newbie is an IBO enthusiast genuinely moved by Orga's death despite having seen it memed long before she watched the show.

It's a logical extension of the whole theme of difficulty embracing a hobby that the people around you don't respect, which is kind of clever.

Are Seed Destiny and IBO frequently mocked outside or the online western Gundam fan community?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Gripweed posted:

Are Seed Destiny and IBO frequently mocked outside or the online western Gundam fan community?

Not the shows so much, but those specific things are.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Snowy posted:

Which waterslide set should I get for the hi nu? It’ll be my first rg and my first waterslides since maybe the 80s.

I was looking at these from simp but figured I should double-check first https://www.ebay.com/itm/2844694162...emis&media=COPY

It might be cheaper to buy direct from them, depending on your shipping situation. Other than that, I've simped for SIMP before. They're good.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Got a quick build of the Regult from Hasegawa done!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, looks like Cross Silhouette is dead and buried at this point, at least in regards to new kits. Witch of Mercury is going to have SD-EX. (Japanese fans don't seem to like the EX line any better than Americans do.)

Studying the details, I think there's at least an explanation for things, little as I might like the decision. Bandai's SD kit manufacturing has been moved to China, both for the EX line and the SD Gundam shows, unlike the CS line. Bandai not doing the kits in-house probably means they can't rely on the same tolerances and the same QC... but it also means they can meet the demand for SDs without having to impede the production for standard Gunpla.

SDCS was premium SD kits, charging double the price for a design with better articulation, details, and color separation, and that probably didn't do as well for SD's traditional niche as pocket change models, while also not working for subcontractors. Thus, the line isn't expanding any more, and Bandai went back to the worst SD line they've done for future kits because that way they can pump them out for alternate markets without cutting into production for their main Gunpla lines, which are overtaxed already.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Queadlunn posted:

Nice ! But now they have to do new versions of the destroids (and Monster).

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

mllaneza posted:

Nice ! But now they have to do new versions of the destroids (and Monster).

If Hasegawa does Destroids and more Zentreadi stuff I'll definitely get them.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

So, looks like Cross Silhouette is dead and buried at this point, at least in regards to new kits. Witch of Mercury is going to have SD-EX. (Japanese fans don't seem to like the EX line any better than Americans do.)

Studying the details, I think there's at least an explanation for things, little as I might like the decision. Bandai's SD kit manufacturing has been moved to China, both for the EX line and the SD Gundam shows, unlike the CS line. Bandai not doing the kits in-house probably means they can't rely on the same tolerances and the same QC... but it also means they can meet the demand for SDs without having to impede the production for standard Gunpla.

SDCS was premium SD kits, charging double the price for a design with better articulation, details, and color separation, and that probably didn't do as well for SD's traditional niche as pocket change models, while also not working for subcontractors. Thus, the line isn't expanding any more, and Bandai went back to the worst SD line they've done for future kits because that way they can pump them out for alternate markets without cutting into production for their main Gunpla lines, which are overtaxed already.

As much as I love the SDCS line it was kind of a nightmare and I understand why they gave up on it. Personally I was only interested in the CS look so buying an SDCS kit meant buying the kit itself then trying to find somewhere with the right color CS frame in stock. Of course they never were in stock because producing an extra frame in 2 different colors for an unknown number of consumers and communicating that need to stock buyers is logistics hell. I would have liked it if they didn't include the SD frame in the box at all, but that's an extra level of logistics hell laid precariously on top of a landmine filled with consumer backlash so I entirely understand why they never tried that.

Queadlunn posted:

I got that one too! It feels like Hasegawa still has a looong way to go in the field of snap kits but it sure does look nice.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

As much as I love the SDCS line it was kind of a nightmare and I understand why they gave up on it. Personally I was only interested in the CS look so buying an SDCS kit meant buying the kit itself then trying to find somewhere with the right color CS frame in stock. Of course they never were in stock because producing an extra frame in 2 different colors for an unknown number of consumers and communicating that need to stock buyers is logistics hell. I would have liked it if they didn't include the SD frame in the box at all, but that's an extra level of logistics hell laid precariously on top of a landmine filled with consumer backlash so I entirely understand why they never tried that.

Later designs started moving towards having everything you needed right in the box. Barbatos and the non-Gundam series kits could switch right out of the box, and the Char Vs. Amuro doublepack had no SD frame included, only going with the full sized CS frame.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Electrophotonic posted:

I’ve been experimenting with using melamine/Mr Clean sponges to buff unpainted Gunpla, and I’m really happy with the results! On the Zaku I tested it on the arm and shield, then went and built a GM to test it on a whole model. I left the right calf unbuffed for comparison.

You get a nice finish pretty much straight away and don’t need to spend ages sanding away. Just make sure to use a damp sponge or you’ll have a bad time with all the plastic dust.

I don’t like top coat, got too many bad experiences with it from my Warhammer days plus its hard to use during the colder parts of the year here in the nordics.

i've never heard of this but it's a cool idea, I'll give it a try on some things I don't have time to paint

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So a couple of my metallic stickers are really not sitting down on one edge. What kind of glue can I use to reinforce them? I don't want to use superglue or something, could I use white glue/Elmer's? What kind of glue is actually on these things?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

picked up the RG exia repair II on my last p bandai outing and holy poo poo. this is maybe the most complex RG i've ever built. there is so much to panel line. one leg took me like an hour. loving it so far but this is going to take forever

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I have never heard a single good experience about the building process for the RG Exia

The most common complaint I have heard is loving up those shoulder ribbons (if you aren't there yet, you'll know it when you get there, and hopefully you do better than the 4 people i personally know that managed to damage it, let alone all the randos I saw on reddit and such doing the same)

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
If I ever want to pick up an Exia, would the original HG or the Repair II HG be the way to go then? I don't think I'll get it soon since I prefer to get kits for show's I've seen but I also just like swords and the Exia's a great design.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Speaking of irritating design, did they every update the Zaku to not have to do each little loving pipe piece individually for the tubes?

I ask cuz my zaku 2 mg fell on concrete and exploded in quite a spectacular fashion.

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

wdarkk posted:

So a couple of my metallic stickers are really not sitting down on one edge. What kind of glue can I use to reinforce them? I don't want to use superglue or something, could I use white glue/Elmer's? What kind of glue is actually on these things?

Not sure about the adhesive used on stickers but just about any glue has worked for me sticker wise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Two more MODEROID's are up for preorder; Xabungle and Shin Getter 1

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

hostess with the Moltres posted:

If I ever want to pick up an Exia, would the original HG or the Repair II HG be the way to go then? I don't think I'll get it soon since I prefer to get kits for show's I've seen but I also just like swords and the Exia's a great design.

I think I have the Repair II HG, it doesn't have any of the holographic bits. I dunno, it's probably the least exciting kit in my entire collection. Like it was one of my first kits after the Origin Zaku and I thought it was a huge step down in both build experience and final product (which might be an unfair comparison since I think it's a much older kit and cost about half as much). OTOH years afterward I got the Astraea Type F, which comes with an asston of spare parts compatible with the HG Exia, so I swapped out as much as I could and called it the Exia Red Skull, and I actually quite like it now. Thanks for listening to my story; don't forget to smash that like button.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Speaking of irritating design, did they every update the Zaku to not have to do each little loving pipe piece individually for the tubes?

I ask cuz my zaku 2 mg fell on concrete and exploded in quite a spectacular fashion.

Yes, but only on the Seed Zakus.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

MechaX posted:

I have never heard a single good experience about the building process for the RG Exia

The most common complaint I have heard is loving up those shoulder ribbons (if you aren't there yet, you'll know it when you get there, and hopefully you do better than the 4 people i personally know that managed to damage it, let alone all the randos I saw on reddit and such doing the same)

I think I lucked out by picking up the P-Bandai Astrea add-ins for the RG Exia. Fewer holographic bollocks, just as many stabby things, and looks just as cool if not a bit more.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Electrophotonic posted:

I’ve been experimenting with using melamine/Mr Clean sponges to buff unpainted Gunpla, and I’m really happy with the results! On the Zaku I tested it on the arm and shield, then went and built a GM to test it on a whole model. I left the right calf unbuffed for comparison.

You get a nice finish pretty much straight away and don’t need to spend ages sanding away. Just make sure to use a damp sponge or you’ll have a bad time with all the plastic dust.

I don’t like top coat, got too many bad experiences with it from my Warhammer days plus its hard to use during the colder parts of the year here in the nordics.

Thinking about doing this for my Bael's body pieces, so you just take the part and rub it with the wet sponge? There shouldn't be any issues if I line it after it dries, yes?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

RillAkBea posted:

Yes, but only on the Seed Zakus.

Noooooo

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

MechaX posted:

Yeah somebody posted in here that they fixed the ribbons on the repair, I think? We'll see.

DigitalRaven posted:

I think I lucked out by picking up the P-Bandai Astrea add-ins for the RG Exia. Fewer holographic bollocks, just as many stabby things, and looks just as cool if not a bit more.

I grabbed the Astrea as well afterwards and I'm more excited for that one.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

What site do people like for ordering Premium Bandai stuff? It seems their US site has some stuff but not most, and I'd like to order those HG origin kits

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Yeah somebody posted in here that they fixed the ribbons on the repair, I think? We'll see.

Oh, Exia Repair fixed Ribbons, alright

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Booyah- posted:

What site do people like for ordering Premium Bandai stuff? It seems their US site has some stuff but not most, and I'd like to order those HG origin kits

I think the US site gets everything eventually though their order windows are typically later. I've had good luck with Kurama Toys in the past.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

After a few hours, it's coming together!

E: Main body done. Fingers too numb to do the back boosters/weapons, will do those some other time.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 15, 2022

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Booyah- posted:

The new Doan's island kits? I've noticed that the P-Bandai sites servicing Asia usually get stuff earlier, but they do eventually become available on the US site most of the time. If you don't want to wait or gamble on them coming the the US, Side Seven is probably the way to go.
https://sidesevenexports.com/collections/premium-bandai/products/hguc-1-144-doans-zaku-august-september-ship-date

Electrophotonic
Mar 14, 2010

They're gonna stop
Saturday night
So you better have fun now
I PREDICT

MJP posted:

Do the sponges smooth over cement welds? Or do they just make the bare plastic shiny?

I don’t think they’re abrasive enough to do much to cement welds, I use a nano glass file for that kind of work.

And yeah, just rub with the wet sponge, doesn’t take long at all. Though you might get a flour-like dusting left with the water if you don’t change water and try rinse out the sponge regularly.

The difference in the surface doesn’t seem to affect panel lining, but if you happen to fill out panel lines with plastic dust it might have an adverse effect. But keeping the sponge moist helps with that plus you’re not scrubbing for very long anyway.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I didn't notice too much when I did it, but I might not have just been doing it very hard.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
More MODEROID's up for preorder; Hime Brain and Yu Brain from Brain Powerd.

I just wish they'd get to the ones I actually want already. :shepspends:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I just wish they'd get to the ones I actually want already. :shepspends:

Same, I keep doing a search for any dates or further info on that Valimar...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

secretly best girl posted:

Same, I keep doing a search for any dates or further info on that Valimar...

Oh, I'll share if/when I see it go up.

After I've locked in mine, of course :v:.

I also want Big O, the Aestivalis, I already secured a Aliens Power Lifter preorder, and I want Dann of Thursday. (And hoping maybe an El Dora V to follow one day :pray:)

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
White Lily and Viola Katze waiting room.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
For anyone not in the discord, Hobby Lobby already doing their 40% off on models again

Their online stock is a little bare but they have more models in the brick and mortar.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

update on the RG Exia Repair II

ok, I get why the ribbons aren't an issue with this release. I never actually watched 00, just like some of the designs, so I didn't realize the Repair II gets rid of the exposed ribbons entirely. so no problem there. but for a design that is pretty explicitly melee focused, the articulation on this thing is kind of awful. for having probably the lowest profile front skirts of any gundam ever it has surprisingly little range of motion and the legs fall off constantly at the hips if i try to go any more dynamic than the pose pictured here. pretty disappointing. i do think it looks great though, this is just snap built with panel lines and the stickers it came with.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

JoeGlassJAw posted:

update on the RG Exia Repair II

ok, I get why the ribbons aren't an issue with this release. I never actually watched 00, just like some of the designs, so I didn't realize the Repair II gets rid of the exposed ribbons entirely. so no problem there. but for a design that is pretty explicitly melee focused, the articulation on this thing is kind of awful. for having probably the lowest profile front skirts of any gundam ever it has surprisingly little range of motion and the legs fall off constantly at the hips if i try to go any more dynamic than the pose pictured here. pretty disappointing. i do think it looks great though, this is just snap built with panel lines and the stickers it came with.

Yeah, the instant I finished assembling the skirts I realized why they swapped over to a different design for 00/Qan[t].

Also, did you have trouble getting the sword hinge to stay locked in that pose? Mine sometimes flops a bit depending on the phase of the moon or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

wdarkk posted:

Yeah, the instant I finished assembling the skirts I realized why they swapped over to a different design for 00/Qan[t].

Also, did you have trouble getting the sword hinge to stay locked in that pose? Mine sometimes flops a bit depending on the phase of the moon or something.

That part's actually pretty stable, but it's only been assembled for a day or two so who knows how prone it will be to exploding as time passes. putting it on the shelf and never touching it again