Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Good reckons, definitely looking forward to your thoughts as you move through the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

holefoods posted:

Oh man, this is the thread for me. I'm in my first watch through and finished 3x02 last night. G'Kar laughing at Londo in the elevator was great. They have a fun frenemies type of relationship up to this point that I wonder how much was intended in the script and how much was actor chemistry.

that is still one of my favourite scenes. along with the scene much later between Gkar and aaaaaaa Vir aaaaaaaa in the elevator doorway. G'kar's actor is so so loving good at doing these... emotive scenes while still showing us levity at other points

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
It's vitally important that you know the guy who played the serial killer was Drake from Aliens.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

ultrafilter posted:

You should watch the episodes you skipped at some point, and probably soon.

This ominous post has inspired me to go back and watch the two left over, starting with S1E4 "Infection"

• doctor's Dramatic Voice friend shows up with a vague mission
  • guy dressed like a 1990s computer programmer works customs completely alone, turns his back on a guy while loudly and slowly saying how it looks like he might have smuggled something in, and shock-horror gets murdered
  • doctor's friend is an archaeologist who has found machines made of organic matter, seems very excited about the "turn these into weapons" angle
  • i see they do the same "real historical figure, real historical figure, fictional future guy" thing on this show too
  • archaeologist's muscle henchman decides to casually open the ancient artefact box, what could go wrong
  • ALIEN HYBRID ARM GUN MAN, ATTACK
  • archaeologist guy claims to have no idea and needs to study the artefacts more. i am doubtful
  • none of the three assistants in the command center can act worth a drat
  • they don't seem to have figured out what to do with this journalist character other than have her show up at command and get yelled at to leave
  • dude's turned into a clanking robot
  • the doctor tries to be all subtext about how the aliens are racial supremacists and then sinclair just comes right out and says "like the Nazis", but then does subtlety really pay when you're talking about fascism
  • the ultimate weapon that wiped out the entire race... let's try, uh, shooting at it a whole bunch, that'll do it
  • oh hey i was right about the weapons thing
  • and earth army is very interested! i'm sure nothing bad will come of this

bit plodding in the middle and a bit cheesy overall but not awful

grassy gnoll posted:

It's vitally important that you know the guy who played the serial killer was Drake from Aliens.

would you believe I have not got around to watching Aliens either. is he good in that

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Sci-Fi Wifi > Babylon 5 blind watch thread: does subtlety really pay when you're talking about fascism?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Chevy Slyme posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The Sci-Fi Wifi > Babylon 5 blind watch thread: does subtlety really pay when you're talking about fascism?

That bit is one of the reasons why I like that episode, and I was surprised it was listed as a "skippable" one.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Angepain posted:

would you believe I have not got around to watching Aliens either. is he good in that

He's decent enough, but he's up against a bunch of stand-out character actors and Sigourney Weaver. Just instead of a menacing serial killer, he's playing a total fuckin' meathead.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

grassy gnoll posted:

He's decent enough, but he's up against a bunch of stand-out character actors and Sigourney Weaver. Just instead of a menacing serial killer, he's playing a total fuckin' meathead.

The marines in Aliens are a beautifully realised variety of meatheads, and I mean that in the best possible way

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The marines in Aliens are a beautifully realised variety of meatheads, and I mean that in the best possible way

The only unbelievable thing about those marines is that there wasn't nearly enough homoerotic dick jokes. Everything else is spot on.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CainFortea posted:

The only unbelievable thing about those marines is that there wasn't nearly enough homoerotic dick jokes.

It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Alhazred posted:

It doesn't matter when it's Arcturian, baby!

Hey Alhazred, have you ever been mistaken for a not poo poo poster?

(Yes, I know what the comeback is, and it's kinda the point.)

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

S1E10, Believers

• "i am never wrong" dr franklin being a bit rude about these people's religious beliefs
  • oh but they also don't like the concept of surgery
  • a combat situation requires a command officer, so that the main cast is involved for important reasons
  • ivanova having a fun little huff about not getting to go shoot at things
  • "you're just going to let him die? what kind of a god do you worship?" medical staff here not trained in diplomacy
  • ok the doctor rightfully chews her out for this we're not going full-on r/atheism here
  • in the cruellest decision yet, the parents don't let him watch television. "he can study the scrolls if he gets bored"
  • A Gloppit Egg, from the Planet Placebo. kind of a dick move for him to keep the parents in the dark about that
  • Finkle eggs, gloppit eggs, egg-sucking mammals, egg-worshippers, lot of eggs in this episode. was the scriptwriter hungry
  • after telling his coworker to be respectful he just shouts at them to stop deluding themselves. not sure this will go down well
  • the various ambassadors tell the parents to gently caress off with varying levels of kindness. love the Vorlon just calling them tiny pebbles, like yeah what other answer were you expecting
  • repeated 20 second clips of Ivanova's away mission that almost make it seem as if anything at all is going to happen in that plotline and then cut back to the A plot
  • kid tells Sinclair he wants to die, Sinclair decides to respect the family's religious beliefs
  • Doctor decides to do it anyway
  • Something interesting starts to happen in the B plot, we of course cut right back to the doctor
  • the parents are, shockingly, not happy
  • they suddenly turn gentler and take the kid with them. they're going to kill him aren't they
  • yes indeed they are. that was dark
  • and Ivanova's space battle was resolved entirely off-screen, great. did they have an extra 2 minutes to fill and just decided to do it in the most expensive way possible

i think i can see why that random guy on the internet said to skip this one. though for all I know maybe the Gloppit Egg becomes the main villain of Season 4, no spoilers

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Believers is mainly interesting in that it is an extremely obvious and over the top “gently caress you” to the way Star Trek would have handled the same exact plot line.

The result isn’t necessarily good, but it’s a flag in the ground about how B5 is going to be different.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Angepain posted:

and Ivanova's space battle was resolved entirely off-screen, great. did they have an extra 2 minutes to fill and just decided to do it in the most expensive way possible

I wondered the same thing. And we were both right, that's exactly what happened behind the scenes.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Chevy Slyme posted:

Believers is mainly interesting in that it is an extremely obvious and over the top “gently caress you” to the way Star Trek would have handled the same exact plot line.

I was partially expecting the other doctor to successfully find a way of treating it without breaking the skin, probably because I've seen so much Star Trek and that's very likely how a Star Trek episode would have ended it, with the help of some mumbojumbo tech nonsense from the B plot or something

Powered Descent posted:

I wondered the same thing. And we were both right, that's exactly what happened behind the scenes.

very sad to hover over the quote and see this post wasn't confirming my Gloppit Egg theory

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Angepain posted:

very sad to hover over the quote and see this post wasn't confirming my Gloppit Egg theory
We can neither confirm nor deny your theory

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Angepain posted:

[*]the various ambassadors tell the parents to gently caress off with varying levels of kindness. love the Vorlon just calling them tiny pebbles, like yeah what other answer were you expecting

I think this goes back to the pilot. The parents ask Kosh how he would feel if a human doctor operated on him without his consent, which is exactly what happened in the pilot of B5. So his comment of "the avalanche has already started, it's too late for the pebbles to vote" might be an allusion that he already was operated on without his consent. At least that's my interpretation.

It occurs to me now that he might also be speaking about the doctor operating on the kid in this exact moment. It's been a while since I saw Believers, would the timing work for this interpretation?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Angepain posted:

i think i can see why that random guy on the internet said to skip this one.

Never, ever listen to random idiots on the internet who tell you to skip whatever arbitrary episodes they personally don't like.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Sweevo posted:

Never, ever listen to random idiots on the internet who tell you to skip whatever arbitrary episodes they personally don't like.

Except TKO….

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Except TKO….

Great B-plot in TKO, one that’s highly unusual even in serialized sci-fi today. There’s usually something redeeming in every B5 episode.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
TKO’s B plot is one of the most important character moments in the whole series.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

TK-42-1 posted:

Except TKO….

It's OK to skip it on a rewatch if you really can't stand it, but hell no you shouldn't skip it on your first watchthrough.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Even that S3 episode has a strong B plot. (If you know, you know; if you don't, you don't need to know.)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like with a lot of shows you might be better off skipping episodes here and there, especially if you're not all the way into the show, it cuts down on getting tired of the show, especially with the rougher, earlier bits.

The problem with doing that for Babylon 5 though is that there's an overarching narrative that builds throughout the show, and it's hard to even sort out which episodes don't have much of that because there's a lot of little crumbs that it's easy to forget about, so even tips from people who know the show are unreliable. If you want the whole thing, you gotta deal with its bizarre flaws.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you want the whole thing, you gotta deal with its bizarre flaws.

Told my wife this and she married me anyway

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

3x03 Sheridan wishing for death instead of having to go back to that stupid meeting is incredibly relatable.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

holefoods posted:

3x03 Sheridan wishing for death instead of having to go back to that stupid meeting is incredibly relatable.

I've used the "A glass of whiskey, a gun, and two bullets" line more than once

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

S1E22, "Chrysalis"

season finale so i assume something dramatic is going to happen
  • some guy called Petrov says something ominous, snuffs it
  • Sinclair's girlfriend is back
  • oh, his fiancee. i mean i've seen them together for all of one episode on-screen so i can't say i'm particularly invested in this couple yet
  • Narn and Centauri are feuding again. The Centauri do not know what a duck is, unlike on star trek where every animal in the universe is an earth animal with a planet name before it
  • creepy guy from a few episodes back is back and is being ominous again
  • babylon 5 has a giant hedge maze, because of course it does. no room for adequate housing for the Down Belowers though that would be silly
  • ominous guy Morden promises to solve all Mollari's problems in exchange for an unspecified favour in the future. To be fair it looks like Mollari knows this is a terrible deal but I assume he's desperate enough to take it
  • the oh what was her name bald lady has some vague conversations about questions and promises
  • Garibaldi finds some crime guys who say some vague ominous things. The levels of Vague Ominousness on this station are rising to dangerous levels
  • G'Kar is fatigued from his heavy schedule of boning the ladies. Sinclair tries to talk some peace into him. Do Narn get post-nut clarity
  • A giant Spooky Space Spider comes in and obliterates the Narn base causing the problem
  • i know full well that vice presidential viral infection on io is going to be a vital plot point due to how offhandedly it was mentioned
  • i wasn't sure if Garibaldi's assistant was suspicious or just badly acted. turns out suspicious
  • Garibaldi seems dead
  • no, he's still crawling. sloppy job, evil guys
  • G'Kar works out pretty quick it can't be any race he knows about, while bald lady continues vague ominousness
  • Garibaldi tells Sinclair something's afoot but not in time to save the president of Earth
  • New president sounds slightly more racist
  • Delenn! That's her name. She's... uh, a chrysalis now? sure why not
Things are now slightly less vague, and a lot more ominous. I was expecting perhaps a few more answers but I guess we've got four more seasons for that.

I don't have any particular end-of-season thoughts beyond what I put in my first couple posts here. I guess generally it seems like there's been a lot more setup than payoff, which I guess tracks with what I've heard all the nerds on the internet say about having to get through the first season. It hasn't had a stand-out holy-poo poo great episode yet, but it's been a decent time so far and there have been some good moments that show some promise. Still on board to keep watching. Particularly looking forward for the Gloppit Egg to become a fully developed character at the centre of the plot.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The first season finale was really strange, it seemed like there should have been some big reveal or final event but it just sort of ends relatively flatly like “see you next season!”

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There is a lot of setup. It all pays off though, don't worry--just remember the show is structured from the jump for five complete seasons and there's stuff in the first season that won't resolve until the fourth or fifth.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Although unlike certain storytelling styles, it isn't all setup no payoff for four seasons. Things do get explained/resolved at a reasonable pace.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Angepain posted:

S1E22, "Chrysalis"

[*]creepy guy from a few episodes back is back and is being ominous again

This really doesn't narrow it down.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Angepain posted:

babylon 5 has a giant hedge maze, because of course it does. no room for adequate housing for the Down Belowers though that would be silly

The show makes the effort of saying a few times that the station is largely self-sufficient on air and food, so to that end there's a whole section of the station devoted to agriculture. I don't think it really sells the idea well as an integral part of the station, but they do try.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Season 2, baby!

S2E1
  • From the blurb I see it is in fact the captain getting replaced. I knew someone went after S1 but wasn't entirely sure who
  • Some captain guy who I assume will be the new one is told about some rogue Minbari ship
  • Ivanova has spent the week between seasons being followed around by a dense crowd of ten constantly yelling guys at all times
  • Sinclair is Not Coming Back. He is the new ambassador to Minbar. I wasn't sure if the character was just going to be recast or what was going on, but now we have a new guy reading the opening scrawl (and slightly better CGI in the opening?)
  • opening credits with the cast and big zooming in 5s is cheesy as hell though
  • still at least it'll help me remember everyone's names
  • Minbari lady is still a bunch of weird gunk, some new Minbari guy comes in and speaks ominously and, indeed, vaguely
  • the command gets water showers in their quarters, the rest get "vibe showers". no water, just vibes
  • new guy is the late president's first choice to replace Sinclair "if anything happened", so clearly old president knew something was about to go down
  • New guy gives a motivational speech about his gap year in Tibet, something about known unknowns, and is about to attribute a quote to Abraham Lincoln when something interrupts him
  • B5 staff still very easy to suddenly assault the moment they say they're slightly suspicious of you. the big mean guy doing the assaulting is leader of the rogue Minbari ship
  • the Minbari are pissed with the new captain because he killed a bunch of them in the war. it was a war deal with it m8s
  • I keep wanting to call it Planet Minibar, I assume that joke has been done to death already and then some but I still want to
  • "if you are going to kill me then do so, otherwise I have considerable work to do" i love this guy
  • Finally some actual revelations from the Minbari: they worked out Minbari souls are being reborn as humans so figured maybe a good idea not to murder them
  • Ivanova just openly blabs about the souls thing on the bridge I guess it's ok for all them to know now
  • Rogue Minbari ship comes in guns primed and ready
  • they just want to be shot to be martyrs, so they self destruct instead when that doesn't work
  • Minbari guy still has some more ominous vague exposition left over to say to Delenn at the end
  • THE CHRYSALIS MOVES!! DUN DUN DUNNN
  • New guy gets to finish his speech, in an empty room

Seems like a pretty "functional" episode, we got a bunch of exposition and we know who the new guy is, nothing too exciting

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

I keep wanting to call it Planet Minibar, I assume that joke has been done to death already and then some but I still want to

actually i genuinely don't think i've heard that one before lol

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
I think the Season 3 blooper reel on the DVD has someone screwing up that word!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Angepain posted:

the Minbari are pissed with the new captain because he killed a bunch of them in the war. it was a war deal with it m8s

Preach it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

sebmojo posted:

actually i genuinely don't think i've heard that one before lol

How did you manage that? Jokes about the Minibar War have been going round since the show was originally airing and someone didn't notice their autocorrect had been at work.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

How did you manage that? Jokes about the Minibar War have been going round since the show was originally airing and someone didn't notice their autocorrect had been at work.

Autocorrrct as we know it wasn’t a thing when the show originally aired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Jedit posted:

ikr

SA is the first time i've talked about it online, is probably why