Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Internet Explorer posted:

Hey all. I am just now waking up and seeing this. Hitting the ground running in the real world, so please give me a bit to catch up. Were these transactions had through S-Mart, or just through this thread/Discord?

It was just through this thread. I believe five people (myself one of them) paid in advance for the custom boards, and I think a couple of us got them before he vanished?

Opioid posted:

He had photos of a finished board. I wonder if just doing all of them and the shipping burned him out. Hoping he comes back to it eventually but after being in this hobby for a while its definitely not my first time being burned or a KB taking longer than expected

Yeah. I'm not approaching this from, like, being worried he just grabbed my money and ran. I'm worried first of all about his health/safety, but beyond that.... well, it's possible he started building them but then something happened, lost access to the needed equipment or something along those lines, so he can't finish. Or he's totally burned out on making keyboards, it was fun just doing a couple builds for friends, but making five of the same drat megabuild just turns out to suck rear end and he can't bring himself to do it. But he already spent the money and can't afford to give refunds, and is too embarrassed to admit it so has just ghosted SA instead. A long time ago I found myself in a similar bind (totally different context though) so if it's something like that I totally could sympathize with what it feels like.

Exit, if you happen to be reading this and it's something along those lines... it's okay. We'll work something out. I just want to know you're OK and still alive and stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

I've been seeing it like Eric - primarily been worried for him, considering some earlier updates.

From what I could tell by the updates, he had finished at least a few boards - he posted completion shots of 2? 3? From what I could tell all that was left was collecting shipping information and payment from people. :shrug:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Same as the above posters. I'm mostly worried that he's okay, which is weakly confirmed by his Discord posting about another custom keyboard he's working on. If something catastrophic happened and the Sweet Business boards aren't going to happen that sucks but I get it, I crowdfund things and it happens (hello Barkley 2). I don't think for a second that he came into this to scam but if it's dead or just on hiatus an explanation would be good to hear. I don't think any of them shipped but he did post pics of some mostly completed boards a few months ago.

To your questions IE: this happened in this thread and in PMs, Discord, and PayPal, it wasn't in SA Mart so we don't get those protections.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm trying to get some advice on how to handle this. I did PM Exit Strategy to see if they're okay. If one of you is in contact with him through any sort of normal channels you'd use (for example, not calling his phone number you found or some other craziness), please do ask them to get in touch with me. Just want to make sure they are okay. I appreciate your all's approach to the issue. Thanks for being good goons.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm trying to get some advice on how to handle this. I did PM Exit Strategy to see if they're okay. If one of you is in contact with him through any sort of normal channels you'd use (for example, not calling his phone number you found or some other craziness), please do ask them to get in touch with me. Just want to make sure they are okay. I appreciate your all's approach to the issue. Thanks for being good goons.

I sent him a general "looking forward to the keyboard, any updates" email a couple of days ago to the address in his PayPal and no response yet.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Can anyone suggest a keyboard that is most like a Thinkpad keyboard? I've tried the following:

Logitech MX Keys - way too mushy. Concave keycaps were weird
Logitech K750 - Solar was weird and annoying for my setup. Action was a little stiffer than I wanted, but the best of the bunch
Cherry Stream - a little too mushy, wired.
Logitech G413 - wanted to see what the mechanical fuss was about. No thanks.

I might just get another K750. Any thoughts?

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Happiness Commando posted:

Can anyone suggest a keyboard that is most like a Thinkpad keyboard? I've tried the following:

Logitech K750 - Solar was weird and annoying for my setup. Action was a little stiffer than I wanted, but the best of the bunch

You can literally just buy an external Thinkpad keyboard. I can't link it right now because I'm on mobile, but it's in my posting history.

If that's not enough, Boba U4s are the closest I've gotten to "Thinkpad, but with more travel distance." You won't find them in many premade keyboards, though. =(

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Happiness Commando posted:

Wireless keyboard.

https://www.lenovo.com/ca/en/p/4y40x49498

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

There's also a cheaper wired version, if you care about latency

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/accessories-and-software/keyboards-and-mice/keyboards/0b47190

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 14, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Midjack posted:

Same as the above posters. I'm mostly worried that he's okay, which is weakly confirmed by his Discord posting about another custom keyboard he's working on. If something catastrophic happened and the Sweet Business boards aren't going to happen that sucks but I get it, I crowdfund things and it happens (hello Barkley 2). I don't think for a second that he came into this to scam but if it's dead or just on hiatus an explanation would be good to hear. I don't think any of them shipped but he did post pics of some mostly completed boards a few months ago.

To your questions IE: this happened in this thread and in PMs, Discord, and PayPal, it wasn't in SA Mart so we don't get those protections.

Yeah. I mean yes at some point I would like to either get the keyboard I paid for or my money back, but I'm not in a huge rush about it and I know poo poo happens. I just hope he doesn't feel like he has to avoid SA because we're gonna go harassing him over it. I think we're unanimous in just wanting to know what's up and if he's all right.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Person health is important for sure, and it felt like the project was going well! I had hoped for it to ship in time for my boyfriends birthday but not sure it will now :smith:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Hey all. I've asked around and I've got some unconfirmed information that Exit Strategy might have some heavy stuff going on in real life. Our only real power here is to ban/permaban someone, which at least from my perspective isn't a great resolution for everyone. If it's okay with you all, I'd like to hold off for about a month to see if they pop back in and give updates. I will also keep an eye out for any recent visits to the forum or new posts from them.

A couple of notes. Going forward, please make sure you're using S-Mart to buy/sell stuff. It's fine to discuss in this thread, but do your "purchase agreements" in S-Mart. Also anyone who sent money to Exit Strategy to buy a keyboard, please send me a PM with the dollar amount and any sort of back and forth you had about it so I can start getting a handle on that side of things. If you can't PM me, I guess post here and I will try to catch it, but do send a PM if you can.

Midjack posted:

I sent him a general "looking forward to the keyboard, any updates" email a couple of days ago to the address in his PayPal and no response yet.

Thanks for the update.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah. I mean yes at some point I would like to either get the keyboard I paid for or my money back, but I'm not in a huge rush about it and I know poo poo happens. I just hope he doesn't feel like he has to avoid SA because we're gonna go harassing him over it. I think we're unanimous in just wanting to know what's up and if he's all right.

Yeah, this is my attitude as well. I don't want it to be putting someone in a situation where they're just avoiding SA completely over not wanting to disappoint people and just say "it's taking longer" or "here's a refund." I really do appreciate everyone's empathy on this. SH/SC is such a great place and you all make me proud. :)

ijyt posted:

Person health is important for sure, and it felt like the project was going well! I had hoped for it to ship in time for my boyfriends birthday but not sure it will now :smith:

That's a bummer, I'm sorry. :(

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 16, 2022

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Banning him over this would be pointless at best (he quit posting here months ago anyway) and probably counterproductive, yeah. I'm super sad to hear things aren't going well for him. :(

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ah drat, he said he'd had a rough winter and I was hoping his luck had changed.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Banning him over this would be pointless at best (he quit posting here months ago anyway) and probably counterproductive, yeah. I'm super sad to hear things aren't going well for him. :(

Not entirely pointless; that goon2great guy that ran a modestly successful personal fitness via the internet business here years ago ended by ripping off a bunch of people and was instabanned when he re-emerged a few months ago. So for a known scammer it's a useful record if they have faded into obscurity in the interim. In this case though, probably not warranted. :smith:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Midjack posted:

Ah drat, he said he'd had a rough winter and I was hoping his luck had changed.

Not entirely pointless; that goon2great guy that ran a modestly successful personal fitness via the internet business here years ago ended by ripping off a bunch of people and was instabanned when he re-emerged a few months ago. So for a known scammer it's a useful record if they have faded into obscurity in the interim. In this case though, probably not warranted. :smith:

Which goon was this? I remember pming NYC tattoo like eight years ago about one of the goon fitness things triggering my scam radar lmao

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ugh. Just waited a month for a kit to clear customs, they sent the wrong boards :suicide:

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Mr. Mercury posted:

Ugh. Just waited a month for a kit to clear customs, they sent the wrong boards :suicide:

Sheesh. When I ordered from idobao they sent it to me via air and it arrived 3 days after ordering.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Canada, thou art a fickle mistress

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Which goon was this? I remember pming NYC tattoo like eight years ago about one of the goon fitness things triggering my scam radar lmao

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991852&perpage=40&noseen=1

init
Jun 20, 2021

hello, just wanted to post a pic of a keyboard i recently put together that i quite like

it has lubed tealios and DSA milkshake keycaps

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I looked back at my pms! I pmed NYC tattoo concerned that I kill hostages was scamming people because he doubled his prices overnight and also changed all his website to be cult like poo poo! NYC was very condescending because "its 7 years of successful SAMART reviews vs your scam radar going off" lmao. Knew it.

Thanks for the link

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Unsinkabear posted:

If that's not enough, Boba U4s are the closest I've gotten to "Thinkpad, but with more travel distance." You won't find them in many premade keyboards, though. =(

like on the x220? that was the best keyboard I’ve ever used, desktop or otherwise. how do they manage that? completely different mechanism, no?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

init posted:

hello, just wanted to post a pic of a keyboard i recently put together that i quite like

Looks great, super clean. Ortho seems nice if you can get used to it. I was asking about tealios a little upthread, how do you like them?

I just ordered Durock POMs and Tecsee Ice Mint switches, hoping for that next level linear. I have a feeling I’ll end up using the POMs, I got the Mints mainly for the color to match my current board’s scheme :sweatdrop:

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

init posted:

That is an uncommon layout, to say the least. Are your N and M swapped intentionally?

init
Jun 20, 2021

Ben Nerevarine posted:

I was asking about tealios a little upthread, how do you like them?

I like them quite a lot, but I’ve only really used these after lubing them. Wasn’t very careful when applying lube so they feel super smooth now, but a little mushy. lighter lube or the stock tealios are probably better.

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

That is an uncommon layout, to say the least. Are your N and M swapped intentionally?

Its got a fairly standard 40% layout. I just thought I’d move the keycaps around to confuse my coworkers.

The N and M swap was a mistake though, I should fix that :)

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

The Grumbles posted:

Now I'm going into the office a lil more - and would like something I can use between my PC and my iPad - I'm looking at the Keychron K7. Anyone got any experience with it? Those mint/banana switches seem fun. What's it like sizewise compared to your average Akko/Ducky 65%?

If you don't get a lemon, it's a nice portable keyboard, but if you do... well, this thread and the Internet at large are full of horror stories about Keychron's infamously bad customer service. The standard recommendation seems to be to buy from Amazon so that you have some protection if you get a dud.

Size-wise, it's got the same footprint as any other 65% with a minimal bezel, but it is very thin--a little bit thicker than your average tablet with case, and almost exactly as thick as most laptops these days. I carry a tablet and the K7 together in an A4 folio pouch and it doesn't feel bulky at all. As far as switches go, I got one with the banana switches and an extra set of the mint ones 'cause I couldn't decide between the two. I'd suggest going with the banana switches unless you like tactiles that are *really* loud and heavy.

Your other option with the same approximate feature set is the Nuphy Air60, but it *just* came out this week, so reviews are spotty, and it has a more... distinctive aesthetic sense.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

like on the x220? that was the best keyboard I’ve ever used, desktop or otherwise. how do they manage that? completely different mechanism, no?

Yeah, a lot like that. I built my U4s with 55g springs instead of the usual 62/67s, which may be a factor in them feeling "right" to my Thinkpad Brain. Forgot to mention that initially.

It is a different mechanism so the feeling is not identical, you're right. A similar weight Topre would probably be the most physically similar to the old T and X series keyboards, but a U4 gets 90% of the way there for like half the price. For some reason even though it's rationally not the same, the full vibe of the final keyboard (sensation, sound, etc) still feels very similar to me, if that makes any sense.

And no, I have no idea how they make it feel that way and be that quiet while still being a pretty standard MX-style mechanical switch. Gazzew is a magician

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.
I think this thread really oversells the "keychron customer service is bad" angle. I'm sure there are people here that have had lovely experiences, but I never see it mentioned in any other keyboard groups I'm in. YMMV, but if you went solely off the opinions in this thread you'd think Keychron were complete hucksters, but I get that if you've been burned once it's hard to recommend them again.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Screama posted:

I think this thread really oversells the "keychron customer service is bad" angle. I'm sure there are people here that have had lovely experiences, but I never see it mentioned in any other keyboard groups I'm in. YMMV, but if you went solely off the opinions in this thread you'd think Keychron were complete hucksters, but I get that if you've been burned once it's hard to recommend them again.

People usually can’t report their poor experiences because their keychron keyboards don’t work and thus they can’t type. Duh.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Screama posted:

Well, my opinion might have been different had they acted differently. But I can only report what happened to me.

Maybe they're better with other people? :shrug:

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 18, 2022

Screama
Nov 25, 2007
Yes, I am very cereal.

pseudanonymous posted:

People usually can’t report their poor experiences because their keychron keyboards don’t work and thus they can’t type. Duh.

:aaaaa: it all makes sense now

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Screama posted:

Keychron Employee Detected.

But seriously, all you have to do is Google 'Keychron customer service" to find out that these experiences and opinions are not even remotely limited to Something Awful. Reddit is littered with similar reports and complaints. The reviews on their Trustpilot page paint a very clear picture of people with no keyboard problems being happy, but anyone who has to contact support for any reason being very unhappy. It's literally everywhere, and it beggars belief that you could have missed seeing it anywhere else unless you for some reason are invested in not seeing it.

E: I guess it's possible that your other keyboard groups just happen to be collectively on the more fanboy side? Idk

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 18, 2022

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Unsinkabear posted:

Keychron Employee Detected.

But seriously, all you have to do is Google 'Keychron customer service" to find out that these experiences and opinions are not even remotely limited to Something Awful. Reddit is littered with similar reports and complaints. The reviews on their Trustpilot page paint a very clear picture of people with no keyboard problems being happy, but anyone who has to contact support for any reason being very unhappy. It's literally everywhere, and it beggars belief that you could have missed seeing it anywhere else unless you for some reason are invested in not seeing it.

E: I guess it's possible that your other keyboard groups just happen to be collectively on the more fanboy side? Idk

Yeah. I had a terrible experience with them, and didn't buy a board from them for two years. That being said, I'm sitting next to a Keychron Q2 barebones I'm waiting on switches to build, because I figured the barebones is harder for them to gently caress up, and it was the best 65% board with knob for the cost that I could find at the time. We'll see once I build it.

clockwork automaton
May 2, 2007

You've probably never heard of them.

Fun Shoe

Put this together today.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I think I've seen some quality complaints in the Keychron Official Facebook group too.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Chiming in on the Keychron chat. I bought 2 keyboards from them. The first one had problems and they were less than useless with warrantying it and I wound up just fixing it myself. The second one they doxxed me and like half of the other buyers, posting emails and full addresses publicly and I yeeted that poo poo as soon as I got it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
My keychron k7 is pretty solid. No bad experiences here.

Check this thing out

https://kwumsy.com/products/kwumsy-usb-mechanical-keyboard

I had a bad first impression of this board but the more I think about it the more I like it for a Linux terminal.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

My keychron k7 is pretty solid. No bad experiences here.

Check this thing out

https://kwumsy.com/products/kwumsy-usb-mechanical-keyboard

I had a bad first impression of this board but the more I think about it the more I like it for a Linux terminal.

Aside from the name being a big clumsy, it's got a Lndicator Light! How can you say "no" to that?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I guess 400 bucks isn't bad for them cramming one of these 12.6" touch panels and a keyboard into the same case. Most of the additional cost is making it work over the one USB-C cable and packaging it up, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I thought I had finally broken keyboard-acquisition-syndrome but ... these caps got me

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cerakey/cerakey-the-first-keyboard-that-made-of-ceramic