Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
I've been a lifetime nailbiter, I chewed them down until they hurt and then I would start to work on the skin around the nails. They looked pretty gross, but I never really cared enough to make it past a couple days of trying to quit. The GF likes nice hands though and nails are a part of that, so I figured Id give it another shot. Now I'm on a 2 week kick of not biting my nails and they are the healthiest they've ever been.

My method right now is to obsessively care for my nails constantly to stave off the biting compulsion. Once I had a little growth I constantly cleaned under my nails, and that kinda scratches the itch I get to pick at them. I also oil them up with jojoba oil which has helped my cuticles not look like poo poo, but more than that its just a little ritual that reinforces my mindset of taking care of them. I could definitely gently caress up at any point, I still put them in my mouth as a nervous habit but I havent bitten them yet.

Any fellow nail biters or former nail biter out there looking to try and knock a bad habit with me or share some tips, products, pictures etc.?

Before(not a great pic dont have many old hand pics)/Current

Its not much, but I am super proud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I've never been a nail biter. But good on ya op for taking charge.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Thank you! It feels weird on my hands, but I can pick the stickers off of apples really easily now so I feel pretty powerful

Uriah Heep fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 18, 2022

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
what I did is start putting nail polish on them because it tasted bad. then eventually I didn't want to chew them also because I didn't want to mess up my nice nail polish job

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Congrats op! It’s hard has hell to stop, especially since you can do it anywhere. I’ve caught myself doing it when I’m half asleep.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Farg posted:

what I did is start putting nail polish on them because it tasted bad. then eventually I didn't want to chew them also because I didn't want to mess up my nice nail polish job

Niiice, I was thinking of picking up some of that stuff that tastes bad for nails so I stop resting my nails on my teeth

Nuts and Gum posted:

Congrats op! It’s hard has hell to stop, especially since you can do it anywhere. I’ve caught myself doing it when I’m half asleep.

Thanks, still got a ways to go before I can really confidently say Im done with it. I keep a nail file on me if I get any urges

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i haven't bit my nails in ten years. put small nailclippers on your keychain and keep them clipped short all the time.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Its never "Not much" to fight against a habit thats really ingrained, and breaking/leessening that habit is great, sometimes we can take that energy and apply it to other bits of our life we want to change as well, so awesome! carry on!

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Hell Yeah posted:

i haven't bit my nails in ten years. put small nailclippers on your keychain and keep them clipped short all the time.

Gonna be me in ten years. Right now Im not clipping, just filing a bit until they are nearly flush with my finger tips. I want to give the nailbed a chance to heal a bit

staberind posted:

Its never "Not much" to fight against a habit thats really ingrained, and breaking/leessening that habit is great, sometimes we can take that energy and apply it to other bits of our life we want to change as well, so awesome! carry on!

:hai:

Thank you, I will stay strong

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I chew on my foreskin.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Flowers for QAnon posted:

I chew on my foreskin.

Try a foreskin clipper if you find its getting too long.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Better than chewing on someone else's foreskin I suppose

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I chew on my foreskin.

The flexibility is impressing, unless you've got a really long foreskin. Then I am less impressed.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

As a former foreskin chewer this stuff is all you need to stave the cravings

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Linux Pirate posted:

The flexibility is impressing, unless you've got a really long foreskin. Then I am less impressed.

I’m circumcised. It’s reusable, you know

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I used to chew my nails pretty obsessively as a kid. I never made a conscious effort to quit, just sometime in my teens I lost the desire and now it seems gross. having nails rules. you can pick poo poo, scrape poo poo, scratch poo poo. the possibilities are endless

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I dont bite my nails

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Farg posted:

I eat nailbpolish

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I won't stop, OP

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
i have quit smoking a pack a day and it was miserable, just a volatile rear end in a top hat for like 3 months, but I quit biting my nails for a week once and the urge to bite them was incredible. I felt like I was going crazy. It was some Cronenberg poo poo.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Elentor posted:

I won't stop, OP

Lemme bite yours then

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

i have quit smoking a pack a day and it was miserable, just a volatile rear end in a top hat for like 3 months, but I quit biting my nails for a week once and the urge to bite them was incredible. I felt like I was going crazy. It was some Cronenberg poo poo.

I still cant kick the nicotine :/

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uriah Heep posted:

Lemme bite yours then

That's the worst of both worlds

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Elentor posted:

Bite someone's corns off

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Elentor posted:

c'mon just a nibble maaan that's it

I gotta clean mouth bro I promise

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I bite my nails too OP. I'm always trying to stop, but I don't realise I'm doing it 99% of the time. I've had luck with the polish you put on that makes them taste like a nintendo switch cartridge but sadly as soon as I stop using it, I go back to biting them without fail.

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

Beartaco posted:

I bite my nails too OP. I'm always trying to stop, but I don't realise I'm doing it 99% of the time. I've had luck with the polish you put on that makes them taste like a nintendo switch cartridge but sadly as soon as I stop using it, I go back to biting them without fail.

Yea it becomes such automatic thing that its really hard to catch yourself doing it and stop. I've found that doing the ~overly caring and grooming them~ thing when I want to bite them is helping switch the unconscious nail-biting to a more positive habit. Also I put enough time into taking care of them that I feel like more is lost than if I was just passively growing them out.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hell Yeah posted:

This was along the lines of how I did it, I just made sure to keep some way of keeping them trim around at all times and haven't done it in about seven years

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

I’m circumcised. It’s reusable, you know

That is some dedication. You have my respect.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I stopped biting my nails when I got my wisdom teeth removed and my jaws realigned in a weird way that make it hard to do. Maybe try that.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

staberind posted:

Hell yeah.

I attribute a lot of the confidence I have in my day to day life came from learning how to have control over my own behaviour. Having the power to change something in your life for the better can just really make it so much easier to continue doing more things that make your life better!!

Also, with an addiction every time you try to quit you increase the chances that the next time you try, YOU WILL!!! So even if you don't make it this time, just trying is enough to get your brain working toward the goal of stopping that behaviour!!

So yeah, OP. :stoked:

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
No.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
get a cone collar so you can't fit your hands to your mouth

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
start playing guitar so you have to trim them down to nubs every 2 days

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i quit smoking but i cant stop biting my nails

its_my_birthday
Sep 18, 2020
i pick and peel my nails and then if i get a good sturdy one i use it to clean underneath the other nails. i dont think it's noticeable from looking at my hands tho

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

I was a nibble-on-them-until-it-bleeds nail biter as a kid. Then at 13 I used that foul-tasting nail polish stuff for a month or two, and it worked!

Decades later, haven't bitten them since. I do have a nasty habit of picking at my cuticles though.

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Come visit the YLLS nail thread and develop a new addiction to mattes, holographic top coats and multichromes.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I used to bite my nails, but never really out of anxiety, I think, but eventually I stopped? It was more just a lazy way of grooming than something I did to the point where I couldn't pick up coins. I still bite at hangnails and cuticles occasionally.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I quit biting my nails after having a chipped tooth repaired and being worried I'd wreck the dental work if I kept biting my nails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013