Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Is the nightwisher server still active? It's asking me for a password but I don't see one mentioned anywhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So while I was on a hiatus, the cluster I play on changed the naming rules for dinos. Now all of mine are getting random names, and this gem came out of it:

:dong:

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
After pretty much doing everything that is in the game in valheim, a friend wants to try our ark. What is the best way to host a game that she and i can play together, not always at the same time? We want a game that is either just us 2, or us 2 plus a couple of friends. We don't always have the same schedule, so ideally it would be something that we can do independently. So should we rent a low slot count server? Host a dedicated server on my computer (that I also use for a bunch of other stuff, so it would have to be relatively low loads)?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

joepinetree posted:

After pretty much doing everything that is in the game in valheim, a friend wants to try our ark. What is the best way to host a game that she and i can play together, not always at the same time? We want a game that is either just us 2, or us 2 plus a couple of friends. We don't always have the same schedule, so ideally it would be something that we can do independently. So should we rent a low slot count server? Host a dedicated server on my computer (that I also use for a bunch of other stuff, so it would have to be relatively low loads)?

If it's just you and maybe a handful if others, depending on how beefy your computer is, you could likely host a dedicated at the same time as you play. I suggest using ASM since it simplifies everything all into a nice and simple program and you can switch it on or off as needed in top of editing every aspect of the game right there.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

If it's just you and maybe a handful if others, depending on how beefy your computer is, you could likely host a dedicated at the same time as you play. I suggest using ASM since it simplifies everything all into a nice and simple program and you can switch it on or off as needed in top of editing every aspect of the game right there.

I have a desktop with an i-7700k, 16gb, and the game installed on an m.2 ssd. How resource intensive would the dedicated server be with 2 or 3 people playing together at most?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ark sucks rear end absolutely rent a dedicated server, they're pretty cheap.

You will almost certainly want to mod it, but I recommend trying to strike a real balance where you don't make certain parts of the game incredibly trivial.

It's a hostile environment with some very janky things but it's also responsible for some really, really cool moments, especially before you start wiki everything and just go at it.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

joepinetree posted:

I have a desktop with an i-7700k, 16gb, and the game installed on an m.2 ssd. How resource intensive would the dedicated server be with 2 or 3 people playing together at most?

Jesus that's MORE than enough power to run it off the same rig while playing it for at least a good dozen people. Yeah you'll be fine. You can likely also make a cluster, but that's probably pushing it a bit.

And yeah ARK is janky as all gently caress, but god drat is fun when all of the stars line up just right. You'll definetly want to mod it though for real.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

my rec for a server is that hosting an ark server for my friends turned into a small side project because things are constantly janky & paying someone to do some of it is useful and wasnt that much $$

like some up front jank: not all servers make the server browser, you will likely need to make a steam or desktop shortcut just to launch the game. the first time we rented one ours showed up, so the next day when it was gone, i spent hours t/s it before finding out that ark just sucks.

Almost none of the values that you can edit make any sense as a server owner. You'll increase something from 1-2 and it will not have the intended impact on the world. Lots of trial and error, I think we spent like a week using the server before wiping it and saying it was ready for release.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I like survival servers...they are cheap and have fast QA responses.

The website will adjust all of those ini settings and convoluted server nonsense, making it much easier to set things the way you want.

The only real advice I have is that if you want your gathering multiplier to be >5, you'll want to leave the global value at default and individually adjust each item's multiplier to the desired level. If you set the global value, you will get tons of server lag.

You can also just play on the Chill Server, which has been empty since the last reset! Celebrate the One Year Anniversary of the COVID Chill Server!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916694

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Im starting to bounce off Valheim and maybe want to play Ark a little more as intended so may check that out again :wooper:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

quote:

Apparently survivor bee four two four six six zero fancied dodos -- and she wasn’t the full quid.
At first she just tamed them.
But then she’d tell other survivors that the dodos were talking to her. Then it got really weird.
She started going on about how she knew “revealed dodo wisdom”
and other survivors could become “Disciples of the Dodo.”
When she finally carked it -- a Rex ate her --
hundreds of dodos gathered ‘round, and it threw up the glitch I just fixed.

There's also a survivor who keeps making pillars everywhere.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
So I set up a dedicated server. But one of my friends has the game through epic, and at least every online discussion I've seen on the issue is that people with the game through epic cannot join dedicated servers that are password protected. Not wanting to remove the password from what is primarily a fun, chill pve sever, I seem unable to find any alternatives. Reddit and official forums seem to just confirm that through epic you cannot join a password protected server. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here know of a work around?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

joepinetree posted:

So I set up a dedicated server. But one of my friends has the game through epic, and at least every online discussion I've seen on the issue is that people with the game through epic cannot join dedicated servers that are password protected. Not wanting to remove the password from what is primarily a fun, chill pve sever, I seem unable to find any alternatives. Reddit and official forums seem to just confirm that through epic you cannot join a password protected server. I know this is a long shot, but does anyone here know of a work around?

Truth be known, I was still under the impression that you couldn't even join those servers from Epic. Sadly, I dunno. I'd say check Reddit and/or Discord.

Ederick
Jan 2, 2013
One of my friends is using the Steam version of the Ark server, password protected it, and four of us are all playing on the Epic store version we got for free. Sounded like it worked right out of the box.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ederick posted:

One of my friends is using the Steam version of the Ark server, password protected it, and four of us are all playing on the Epic store version we got for free. Sounded like it worked right out of the box.

How are you joining the server?

Because my understanding is that to join a dedicated server by IP they need to open a single player game, use console to join a game by IP, and password doesnt work then.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

joepinetree posted:

Are you sure you have crossplay on? This was patched in 2020 allegedly

quote:

v311.79 - 06/11/2020

Fixed Linux servers not starting up
Fixed EGS clients not being able to connect to password protected servers

edit: Your other option is just to whitelist them and remove the password if you can't get it working.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bus hustler posted:

Are you sure you have crossplay on? This was patched in 2020 allegedly

edit: Your other option is just to whitelist them and remove the password if you can't get it working.

Is crossplay something my friend world have to turn on? Or is it a server setting? I don't have epic games, all i know is what they told me about the message regarding the password.

Edit: found the setting, but apparently -crossplay is already in the default command line arguments for my server.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 26, 2021

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009
I only play with steam but there is a way to whitelist accounts and not have passwords. I do it on my cluster. Not sure if that works because it has steam id's in it for mine. May be worth looking into.

Edit: The term you are looking for is called exclusive join. The command line for the server to enable it is: "-exclusivejoin". There is a config file you add steam id's but a quick google did show results for people setting it up for epic players as well. Sorry I can't provide more information. I use ark server manager to manage my servers so I don't have to dive into all the command line or find the files. The list is in the ui.

Nosthula fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 26, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Also, there's a creepy island thing on Rag near this area.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 9, 2021

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm vaguely interested in playing a PVE server on PC with someone or three who are as new to the game as I am.

bus hustler posted:

my rec for a server is that hosting an ark server for my friends turned into a small side project because things are constantly janky & paying someone to do some of it is useful and wasnt that much $$

like some up front jank: not all servers make the server browser, you will likely need to make a steam or desktop shortcut just to launch the game. the first time we rented one ours showed up, so the next day when it was gone, i spent hours t/s it before finding out that ark just sucks.

Almost none of the values that you can edit make any sense as a server owner. You'll increase something from 1-2 and it will not have the intended impact on the world. Lots of trial and error, I think we spent like a week using the server before wiping it and saying it was ready for release.

Eh maybe not.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 9, 2021

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
You guys have to give Animals of Atlas a try. It's an awesome little mod by Kraken of Better Dino's fame similar to the Additions one where it adds the Atlas animals, but with modified stats and abilities.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Zesty posted:

I'm vaguely interested in playing a PVE server on PC with someone or three who are as new to the game as I am.

Eh maybe not.

I ended up renting a server for like 12 bucks a month and most things have been pretty easy to set up that way. Only annoying part was getting people with the epic games version to be able to log in, but even that was worked out.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Zesty posted:

Eh maybe not.

I have some servers already setup and am looking for tribe mates. PM me for the details.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

joepinetree posted:

I ended up renting a server for like 12 bucks a month and most things have been pretty easy to set up that way. Only annoying part was getting people with the epic games version to be able to log in, but even that was worked out.

Can I not just host a server on my machine for playing with a couple of folks?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Zesty posted:

Can I not just host a server on my machine for playing with a couple of folks?

You can, but running a server is as/more intensive as running the game. So best-case you have two versions of ARK running simultaneously on your computer.

My Chill server is still up if you all just want to play on there.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
anyone tried the VR in this? is it any good like no man's sky? or a gimmick, like I'd assume?

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
You guys really should look into adding in Animals of Atlas to your servers or game plays just for the Ludodactylus since it's as fast as a pteranodon and can steal eggs without triggering aggro and is beefy enough to tank a hit or two and even give back some.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Winkle-Daddy posted:

anyone tried the VR in this? is it any good like no man's sky? or a gimmick, like I'd assume?

I tried it.

Didn't work, but I tried it. I don't think they actually finished development on it which is a very ARK thing :v:

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
oh well, I'll see if I can make it work this weekend. I don't even know how long it's been there. ark VR life simulator on a chill rear end PvE server with the VR quality of no man's sky would be a dream.

Nosthula
Mar 23, 2009

Winkle-Daddy posted:

oh well, I'll see if I can make it work this weekend. I don't even know how long it's been there. ark VR life simulator on a chill rear end PvE server with the VR quality of no man's sky would be a dream.

Be prepared to :barf:. I tried it when I first got my HTC Vive around two years ago. On an i7 6700k with a GTX 1080 I was not able to keep a good enough frame rate. It was so bad I didn't even try to dial in any settings. I don't know if they put in any VR style locomotion since but the standard movement is going to also make you :barf:. I would only try it if you have very good vr legs.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
I'll let my 7 year old tell me if it works well enough I should don the HMD!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Good News: Beat the Alpha Dragon
Better News: NO CASUALTIES!!!
Bad News: Forgot Dermis Tool.

Also, I finally completed most of my Tek Manufacturing Facilities. Just need the last one on Valguero and I'm set.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Got the Alpha Dragon Dermis. Now I'm just finishing up on notes and dossier in prep for the final boss. With that in mind, does anyone here know how the Tek Cave works? Like, I know there's a timer, but is that a timer for the front door in the volcano or the final door leading to the Overseer? I ask because two minutes to run that gauntlet is rough and I'd rather not have to just wing the fight with a Tek Suit and take my army down there, but two minutes might not be enough time.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
I have ascended to Alpha Bob status.

Now I'm off to the desert. Any tips on a good base location? Server is "technically" pvp, but it's pretty much just me so a good PvE location near resources is good and well.

Edit: Anyone still here? :'(

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 16, 2021

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I mean I play occasionally but only in a 2 player server with my wife and I've never touched scorched earth. Good luck!

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I know I'm late to the ark train but genesis 2 has been a lot of fun, especially if you're bad at the game like me. I really like the gliding nippleduck. I'm going to catch some fish and build a sneaky suit to tame a shadowmane, but taking off the jet pack you start with is scary. I like the reverse progression though, feels like the game is trying to slowly make you cut out your safety nets for stronger rewards - Can only do so much when you're floating around like a coward!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I stopped playing when ARK no longer functioned on my Mac. :(

It's apparently a thing.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
So my son is absolutely obsessed with Ark, and it recently developed this "infinitely attempting to install (already installed) BattlEye" bug that prevents the game from starting. I've already uninstalled/reinstalled to no avail, and Google hasn't provided me with a fix. Any goons experienced/fixed this bug?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I've googled some solutions. It looks like there a bunch of things that can cause the issue.

quote:

Navigate the tree in File Explorer: steamapps\common\ark\binaries\WIN64\BattleEye\
Open BELauncher.ini in notepad.
Change PrivacyBox's value to Zero: PrivacyBox=0

One person said they just needed to uninstall a mod. Another said they needed to reinstall Windows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Started up a server with some friends recently. Currently have Aberration and Lost Island in the cluster and looking forward to this new Fjordur or whatever norse style DLC they're releasing soon

Aberration:
108.4.0.223:27017

LostIsland:
108.4.0.223:27019

Fjordur:
108.4.0.223:27021

Keeping mods minimal because it's only a matter of time until one breaks the save. Only have Structures+ and tbh I may remove it after shoddy update earlier today. (Server lost connection to steam and got out of synch...)

Most settings are default. 2x taming/experience/baby makin' because we have lives and we like goals to be attainable within a reasonable evening window.

seance snacks fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 14, 2022