Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

MiniFoo posted:

When driver installed, this message will vanish out of sight

Don't worry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

I don't bother trying to connect a smartcard to a linux computer unless it's an explicit use case that supports it.

The usb reader might work, ok, but you still need drivers to communicate with the firmware on the card, and I'm not going to risk bricking a smartcard today if I need to use it to auth tomorrow.

The vendor that sold me my smartcard also sold me the reader and also provides the software to put it all together. It's janky as all hell (and previously required MSIE to work at all) but it's what the job wants and is definitely not some sketch "dod military usb amazon sponsored" gadget.

that's true of every os, not just linux. if you're using a card that implements an interface other than those already implemented in opensc (mac or linux) or windows, opensc will have no clue what to do.

fortunately it seems like most cards that actually get used for authentication implement piv or openpgp interfaces and Just Work.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

MiniFoo posted:

When driver installed, this message will vanish out of sight

secfuck megathread 18.14: When driver installed, this message will vanish out of sight

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

that's true of every os, not just linux. if you're using a card that implements an interface other than those already implemented in opensc (mac or linux) or windows, opensc will have no clue what to do.

fortunately it seems like most cards that actually get used for authentication implement piv or openpgp interfaces and Just Work.

well, yeah, but what kind of vendor sells user-facing authentication solutions that don't work in windows? Or actually supply a linux driver?

I'm just pointing out that this sort of use case instills a bit of artificial requirement for Windows (maybe Mac). Sure, future versions of the authentication solution might work under linux and I look forward to it.
For now, I have to keep a windows laptop patched and raring to go in case I have to use this smartcard.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

sb hermit posted:

well, yeah, but what kind of vendor sells user-facing authentication solutions that don't work in windows? Or actually supply a linux driver?

I'm just pointing out that this sort of use case instills a bit of artificial requirement for Windows (maybe Mac). Sure, future versions of the authentication solution might work under linux and I look forward to it.
For now, I have to keep a windows laptop patched and raring to go in case I have to use this smartcard.

tbf not including a linux driver is pretty much still par for the course unfortunately

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
for more secfuck content, lol my brother couldn't get his paycheck because python:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The gently caress is…

PeopleCode is a proprietary object-oriented programming language used to express business logic for PeopleSoft applications

Developer Oracle Corporation

ewwwwww

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
PeopleCode sound like something Veridian Dynamics would create.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

the code is made out of people!!

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

lmao i didn't know it was some oracle horseshit, i thought it was python because it threw a py error.

should've known better because "examine the PeopleCode" has a fantastically oracle dystopian vibe to it

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
peoplesoft was an acquisition and most of the insane poo poo predates oracle's ownership

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
oracle owns peoplesoft now?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
acquisition went through 2004...

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

graph posted:

oracle owns people?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Plorkyeran posted:

peoplesoft was an acquisition and most of the insane poo poo predates oracle's ownership

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lmao

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i dont touch any of that poo poo lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
me neither but its still been 20 years

you can make, like, a vaguely adultish human being in 20 years

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
pooplesoft

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

haveblue posted:

pooplesoft

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

pooplesoft

peopleware

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

required reading for my degree. i can’t remember anything about it

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

are pictures of trees better or worse than pictures of animals on o'reilly books (or pictures of overly enthusiastic millennials on their head start series)

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

maybe if they had pictures of trees then I would finally remember the difference between a eucalyptus tree and an oak tree

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

sb hermit posted:

maybe if they had pictures of trees then I would finally remember the difference between a eucalyptus tree and an oak tree

oak: acorns
eucalyptus: gumnuts

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
you can tie your yellow belt around the old oak tree

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

peopleware was an alright book, even back then it already complained of open offices and argued for giving engineers the tools they need.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Crime on a Dime posted:

oak: acorns
eucalyptus: gumnuts

trap sprung

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

sb hermit posted:

trap sprung

wow. alley oop to air ball

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol we got a new email filter thing at work to identify and handle phishing attacks cuz we've been targeted pretty heavily by them lately (nobody's fallen for any though which is nice :unsmith:) and one of its incredibly helpful features is it also intercepts all the innocuous marketing mail the existing filters would have automatically filtered to the spam folder, puts it in its own little quarantine box and emails me saying "hey i quarantined this marketing spam for you do you want to look at it??"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
is it proofpoint? we used it at last job and they're about to roll it out here

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

lol we got a new email filter thing at work to identify and handle phishing attacks cuz we've been targeted pretty heavily by them lately (nobody's fallen for any though which is nice :unsmith:) and one of its incredibly helpful features is it also intercepts all the innocuous marketing mail the existing filters would have automatically filtered to the spam folder, puts it in its own little quarantine box and emails me saying "hey i quarantined this marketing spam for you do you want to look at it??"

i spent like two hours on the line with capsule pharmacy's IT team yesterday explaining to them my dns blocks email referral chains like the ones they send with password reset emails for this very reason. at the end of the day the emails just linked to capsule.com.

hated janitoring someone else's poo poo but at least they took my recommendations

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

haveblue posted:

goondolences

i have on multiple occasions had some dipshit CISSP-in-signature IT guy complain that our product's transactional emails have bad dkim sigs, only for it to transpire they're just fine, and it's their proofpoint appliance loving it all up

the last one preemptively gave me his home address, where he expected me to send him "swag and stickers" for "helping fix a security issue". absolute moron

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

haveblue posted:

i think so, it's not anything to do with me really so it doesn't get any resident space in my brain except when it's being annoying

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rufus Ping posted:

the last one preemptively gave me his home address, where he expected me to send him "swag and stickers" for "helping fix a security issue". absolute moron

:chloe:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i literally cannot imagine what it must be like to be That Guy, how does That Guy even exist

yes please send me some cheap lovely pens with your company logo on them that you have left over from a business convention. in fact, send them to my home, just to make sure nobody else at the office swipes my precious

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

print out goatse from the office inkjet and send it to him

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shame Boy posted:

i literally cannot imagine what it must be like to be That Guy, how does That Guy even exist

yes please send me some cheap lovely pens with your company logo on them that you have left over from a business convention. in fact, send them to my home, just to make sure nobody else at the office swipes my precious

we'd throw somebody a couple fsly t-shirts for a vuln report if it was at all legit and you would not believe how pissy they got when it took a week for us to mail them out

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

our sales guys probably already gave them a load of swag but i guess mr. cissp didn't get his hands on any. Sad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiuUtE5vcEg

So I got like 2 hours of this footage and I'm struggling to come up with what youtube music genre I should attach this to.

TRAPPIN IN US-EAST 2
Aesthetic song ~ Attack Map vibe ~ Lo-fi for Witches (Only) [ssh / ftp / portscan beats]~
Lofi FutureTronic Phonk to abjurer attacks to
4HR Ghibli Piano (no ads) sleep mix