Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Gentle Autist posted:

it’s fine actually. all windows is like that

nah, windows 11 is one of those pieces of software which in principle is *fine*, can be worked with without much trouble, but which is pointlessly and stupidly worse than its predecessor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

windows 98se/2000/7 supremacy

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Sapozhnik posted:

"just do a bunch of what used to be Linux User poo poo to make your computer usable, nbd"

is there like an arch wiki equivalent for windows these days?

tbf i do that with windows 10 as well, mostly to add missing unix-like tools like sudo and macos like features like quicklook

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sapozhnik posted:

is there like an arch wiki equivalent for windows these days?

some guys made a crazy distro of win10 that has no metro apps, store or updater

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Private Speech posted:

use explorer patcher if you want to make it look like windows 10 in whatever ways, preferably the dev version it has more fixes

after using that it's fine

e: except for the missing tablet tiles mode and worse screen/hdr stability, that sucks especially for tablets and 2-in-1s, but I've made my peace with it

e2: also VR is a bit spotty on 11 too

yeah, I'm going to install a bunch of poo poo that will probably make things really unstable and brick the system next update. good idea

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Private Speech posted:

use explorer patcher if you want to make it look like windows 10 in whatever ways, preferably the dev version it has more fixes

after using that it's fine

e: except for the missing tablet tiles mode and worse screen/hdr stability, that sucks especially for tablets and 2-in-1s, but I've made my peace with it

e2: also VR is a bit spotty on 11 too

where is this explorer patcher you speak of? it intrigues me

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

The file that you download may trigger a false positive alert in your antivirus program. This is fairly normal, a sign that the product you are using is decently capable, since it features detection methods a bit more advanced than what was state of the art in 1999. The program being flagged is usually done through heuristic analysis, not via a database of know viruses. That means that the antivirus program thinks that due to the nature of the code in this application, it likely may be a virus, a program that the user does not really mean to run. Injecting code into other executable programs is rarely done by legitimate programs. One such kind of legitimate programs is this patcher, that you deliberately choose to run and let it alter Explorer's code and memory in a controlled manner so that you achieve a certain effect. Thus, this patcher falls in the category of false positives: your antivirus thought such a program was not something you meant to run, but that's not the case this time.

"It's fine, trust us!"

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

akadajet posted:

"It's fine, trust us!"

tbf microsoft defender also flags the patcher that allows multiple RDP sessions on non-server editions

if you look at the code itself, it's nothing nefarious

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

tbf microsoft defender also flags the patcher that allows multiple RDP sessions on non-server editions

if you look at the code itself, it's nothing nefarious

not nefarious, but I'm not trusting random c code being injected into the windows shell as secure

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

akadajet posted:

yeah, I'm going to install a bunch of poo poo that will probably make things really unstable and brick the system next update. good idea

you don't have to you know, but it didn't break anything for me for half a year or whatever now

Beeftweeter posted:

where is this explorer patcher you speak of? it intrigues me

use google it's on github

also it's opensource you can just read the code/compile it yourself

doesn't mean it's secure but at least not actively malicious

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

it's a pretty linux thing though, I admit it's probably mostly me being used to compiling and using random poo poo for linux all the time

e: makes me think of the time I recommended some goon the k-lite codec pack and they went and installed the bundled-in AVG browser toolbar or whatever it was lmbo

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 18, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Private Speech posted:

it's a pretty linux thing though, I admit it's probably mostly me being used to compiling and using random poo poo for linux all the time

yeah true, but when i'm using windows i find myself doing the same regardless because WSL is unironically pretty great and it makes it easy to just use mingw or whatever

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

somewhat related: are they still actively working on WSL1? don't get me wrong, WSL2 is great and all, but i always thought WSL1's architecture was very interesting

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

Microsoft has a incredible ability to make things they have complete control over not work. reminds me of an error I encountered where for months I could not install windows 10 updates (tried all the troubleshooting steps multiple times) until I find a random reddit post saying to disable a certain windows mixed reality service and it actually worked

I had the same issue with my updates except I got an error. I googled their webpage and it told me it was just a generic error message.

I had to manually install a service pack.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

akadajet posted:

"It's fine, trust us!"

there are other programs that do stuff like this for games and don't get flagged like this one
https://github.com/bakkesmodorg/BakkesModInjectorCpp

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sometimes when i reboot after installing a microsoft update (windows cumulative or even .net framework cumulative) the audio output devices for my graphics card disappear (HDMI/DP audio out). rebooting again brings em back, truly bizarre. also i've noticed it often likes to reset whatever output format i select for an audio device, keep having to switch it from 16bit/24khz to 24bit/48khz (or 24bit/192khz for my headphones connected via S/PDIF)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

my htpc likes to reset itself to stereo output whenever it wakes from sleep but if I just adjust the windows volume so it makes that sound it remembers it’s supposed to be 5.1. truly baffling behavior and running a program that produces sound doesn’t fix it like adjusting the volume specifically from the notification area does

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

gotta stop you right there

what loving year is it and/or am i having a stroke?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

How are you going to watch divx files on your plasma tv if you don't have an htpc?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Cold on a Cob posted:

I dunno it's my living room pc. use it for couch gaming, vr, streaming video/music, extra render node when I'm doing a big blender project

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Pile Of Garbage posted:

sometimes when i reboot after installing a microsoft update (windows cumulative or even .net framework cumulative) the audio output devices for my graphics card disappear (HDMI/DP audio out). rebooting again brings em back, truly bizarre. also i've noticed it often likes to reset whatever output format i select for an audio device, keep having to switch it from 16bit/24khz to 24bit/48khz (or 24bit/192khz for my headphones connected via S/PDIF)

i think that is your a driver being a pos, failing to consistently/stably enumerate the device on update.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

mystes posted:

How are you going to watch divx files on your plasma tv if you don't have an htpc?

you mean DivX;-)

not to be confused with DIVX, the dead pay-per-play dvd competitor

also i just learned that DivX LLC, founded by the guy who made the DivX;-) codec 20+ years ago, still exists and still makes DivX software for... someone apparently

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

mystes posted:

hey! I resemble that remark

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

a little bridge turned up this morning :blush:

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
it's rly funny how windows 11 still has the win7 media player because they forgot to add support for .midi files within their UWP app

legitimately unsure if it's some kind of technical limitation preventing them from implementing it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

euroshopper posted:

it's rly funny how windows 11 still has the win7 media player because they forgot to add support for .midi files within their UWP app

legitimately unsure if it's some kind of technical limitation preventing them from implementing it

technical limitation, the UWP audio graph API doesn't support MIDI files because the MIDI stack is a whole nightmare factory on account of being a MIDI stack

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

this standard that the commodore 64 supported is too difficult for microsoft to implement

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe

euroshopper posted:

i suspect the 'cast to device' feature is also built on top of the win7 media player

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

this standard that the commodore 64 supported is too difficult for microsoft to implement

very much this, just casually making computers do less because they just had to go mess with functioning things.

not like the old media player was good, but the uwp ones barely make it to the level of being a decent sdk demo.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

qirex posted:

Commodore 64 had general MIDI?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

very much this, just casually making computers do less because they just had to go mess with functioning things.

not like the old media player was good, but the uwp ones barely make it to the level of being a decent sdk demo.

i was complaining about this in the apple thread

i get why they had to discontinue quicktime usage, but man was it useful

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
old crufty formats are also good sources of security vulnerabilities, like jbig2 and tiff, i have a lot of sympathy for wanting to drop support for that kind of stuff

though in my line of work my team now deals with tiff images on a daily basis, that format is never going away even after ome-ngff is standardized

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Lysidas posted:

old crufty formats are also good sources of security vulnerabilities, like jbig2 and tiff, i have a lot of sympathy for wanting to drop support for that kind of stuff

though in my line of work my team now deals with tiff images on a daily basis, that format is never going away even after ome-ngff is standardized

the weird thing is though a lot of them continue to be supported anyway (see av re: cinepak), you just can't encode to them any more and if it's not supported in a quartzcontext then you can't save it, either. then there's also poo poo like libavcodec, which to add ms content they're at least using in edge (but that's more the chrome lineage)

i'm firmly convinced tiff will never truly die, kinda like postscript. it's been entrenched for what, 35 years? despite how many better options? lol

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

tiff is what happens when you let a committee of graphic designers create a file format.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sweevo posted:

tiff is what happens when you let a committee of graphic designers create a file format.
A tiff, you mean

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving edge. alt-tab switches between tabs. what the gently caress. oh, and you can change it in some obscure setting that can be locked out by gpo, so I'm stuck with this bullshit. jfc Microsoft WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

tab hoarders should be thwarted at every opportunity

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

after you hit 10 tabs, ctrl-t should just open a new window

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006