Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Achmed Jones posted:

yup. computer programmers are in a similar boat as uber drivers. definitely a very reasonable comparison to make. sucks that computer programming is where people turn when they need to moonlight to make rent, but that's the world we live in

Lmao making this post in the context of the video games industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

gave me a good laugh
https://twitter.com/beesmygod_/status/1526481017154027520

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mr. Crow posted:

Lmao making this post in the context of the video games industry

you think square-enix is signing a multimillion dollar deal because they're hard-up for rent?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

yup. computer programmers are in a similar boat as uber drivers. definitely a very reasonable comparison to make. sucks that computer programming is where people turn when they need to moonlight to make rent, but that's the world we live in

I’m pretty sure an Uber driver makes more money than a video games developer

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

what game is that from? I thought it was that Mars colony builder game but maybe not

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
dyson sphere program i think

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
It's Stanley parable ultra deluxe any good?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Jabor posted:

you think square-enix is signing a multimillion dollar deal because they're hard-up for rent?

they took a huge dive on those apes man

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Kazinsal posted:

they took a huge dive on those apes man

:lol:

Anyone like dyson sphere program its looked interesting but I kinda feel like factorio covered my OCD builder fix, is it more of the same or does do anything new?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i tried it and meh'ed out pretty quick. if factorio and satisfactory didnt exist i'd probably be into it

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

there's a lot of insanity wrapped up in this conversation

are game devs insanely underpayed and have hilariously terrible hours? yes
do companies exploit the aspirational value of being a game dev for profit? very much yes
do game devs have alternatives to working in games? also yes
do the sales of a game when working for a large studio affect their salaries? absolutely in no way

what's better, getting $30 profit from 200k users, or $2 from 25 million game pass subscribers? uh the second one.
what's better for large companies, taking a massive gamble on a boom-or-bust retail release, or knowing for certain, ahead of time, how much money you're going to make baked right into the contract? again, the second one

finally, what's better for game devs, bosses have an easy week without having to negotiate with microsoft, or more people see the work that they've sacrificed salary and sanity for? obviously the second one

game pass is obviously better for users, developers, studios and platforms in almost every way and creates a space that can support riskier and more interesting B-games that the AAAA or indie dichotomy over the last decade or so suffocated

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Mr. Crow posted:

Anyone like dyson sphere program its looked interesting but I kinda feel like factorio covered my OCD builder fix, is it more of the same or does do anything new?

DSP is pretty amazing. what if combat-free factorio but on dozens of tiny little planets to explore and exploit so you can look up at the sky and see a massive sphere you designed? i spent a looot of time with that mother fucker.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the only devs i've seen bitching about game pass are the ones who cant get into the program.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mr. Crow posted:

It's a good game with a good pace. As a factorio-like it's like medium difficulty optimization puzzles streched to a stellar scale that all culminates into you CAGING THE SUN.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah the big important thing about DSP is that it's an eleven out of ten game for parking somewhere with a view and Beholding What You Have Wrought

every single one of those lights in the sky is a solar panel launched from one of the planets to a dyson swarm orbit of your choice, any angle & altitude; you can have multiple dyson swarms in different orbits, and you choose how the framing for the final sphere is laid out (so, yes, you can draw a series of giant space dongs framing the sun - or so I understand it, I haven't played in a long time so maybe there're limits I'm not aware of). you can take off & fly alongside the trail of solar panels being launched from your coilgun platforms and watch them take station around the sun, the trails get brighter & more dense as you build more launchers and supply more panels...

it's all very viscerally satisfying in a way satisfactory (ha) and factorio could never match, IMO. seeing the night sky brighten as a result of your efforts beats the hell out of pure number-go-up

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 19, 2022

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also, just saw this again in my images folder & had a chuckle

https://i.imgur.com/wL0jGlz.mp4

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

jurassic world evolution 2 hit game pass

and while I'm not sure if it's actually good or bot yet, I did just tranq a dinosaur from a helicopter

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that sounds fun, i hope psnow gets it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Ciaphas posted:

also, just saw this again in my images folder & had a chuckle

https://i.imgur.com/wL0jGlz.mp4

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

chaosbreather posted:

are game devs insanely underpayed and have hilariously terrible hours? yes

That's not universally true. I am paid well and do completely normal hours (can't even remember the last time I did overtime) and I would absolutely never compare my cushy, lucky work situation at a big game company with that of an Uber driver.

Also, anyway, for a company like Ubisoft offering games as part of that Sony thing is good because some people will still purchase dlc content in these older games, so the more people playing them the better. In that case at least no one is getting hosed over by the ps+ deal, but I don't know how this kind of deal works out for smaller indie devs though, it dors have a "for exposure" energy to it.

quote:

do the sales of a game when working for a large studio affect their salaries? absolutely in no way

Not universally true either. Where I work we do get salary raises company wide every year based on an enveloppe that gets bigger if our game is successful. It does help that our game is still performing well and earning a very decent amount of money years after its release.

But I think there's been a realization these past few years in some of the big video game companies that to churn out all these AAAA games you don't only need money, you need people and so you have to keep them, which requires among other things to pay them fair salaries.
Experienced devs (which they absolutely need) also tend to be older and to have families to take care of, so they need both a decent salary and a good work/life balance.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

either way it is very funny that someone made the claim that "using uber" is morally equivalent to "not paying full price for square-enix games".

not even right or wrong, just funny.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i use uber to get to the store and buy square-enix games at full price

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i used to buy games used. now i buy them digitally, but on sale :evilbuddy:

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
I just got my PS5. I normally buy used games (I didn't have a PS4 and the back catalog is pretty juicy), but it seems like PS Plus Extra is just a better deal than even buying used off the internet, am I reading this correctly? Other than resale value and the occasional obscure game, is there any reason to keep buying used?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Chewbaccanator posted:

I just got my PS5. I normally buy used games (I didn't have a PS4 and the back catalog is pretty juicy), but it seems like PS Plus Extra is just a better deal than even buying used off the internet, am I reading this correctly? Other than resale value and the occasional obscure game, is there any reason to keep buying used?

you can’t play them if you stop your subscription, is the only thing

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I mean the only two reasons to ever buy used were a) catching it on sale which is easier these days but not guaranteed and b) reselling it.

I don't bother anymore because its a pain in the rear end to sell games anymore, GameStop either gives you pennies or nobody responds on your Craigslist ad, can't even get a couple bucks for some of these last physical games I'm trying to get rid of.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
last thing i want to do is to have to open a case and put a game in the slot.

seems like caveman poo poo.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Ya also this, imagine getting off the couch in 2022 :lmao:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Achmed Jones posted:

i used to buy games used. now i buy them digitally, but on sale :evilbuddy:

i do not buy video games at all because they're for children

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you only buy the ones marked "adults only"?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i use uber to get to the store and buy square-enix games at full price

Fuckin moneybags out here flaunting his jewel encrusted pre-order statue.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Jabor posted:

adults need to play games, too

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat

Jabor posted:

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

Hell of a way to come out to your video game friends

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The power move is to go invisible after booting up the game, so they see the notification popup but can't screenshot the social panel.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

The only games I buy physical copies of anymore are switch games. Mostly because I can trade them with my siblings if I go home for the holidays.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I have ps+ and ps now. ps+ goes to June 2023, my ps now sub happens to be running out June 2022. just before it would make it that I get the upgrade to the highest tier service for the longer of the two subs.

adding a year to ps now would be $80, to give me a $140 value (when I get upgraded), minus the $60 already sunk into ps+... doesn't really make sense to do it just for uhhh returnal and death stranding

I would be a little more upset if it weren't the case that ps now rotates games out too fast, and I expect the same will be true for the new service

for ps+ at least you get the games to play until the sub ends, and you can always re-sub later to play them again. I expect this will be true for the new service too. I still have ps3 games via ps+ that I was able to re-download recently

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Surviving Mars is not a game that I recommend, but it is a game that I love. Years after the supposed last patch they pump out a slate of dlc, each solving a dumb problem in this glacially paced game. The first was Chogi getting hired and made models for one hex security posts and clinics for $5.

Last month they sold me the ability to make a train between two habitation domes, solving the mid game pre-jet isolation friction in a costly and satisfying way. This is what pay2win looks like in a city builder game and I love it, but it is bad and should be hated.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

I broke 1000 hours played in dsp over the weekend. I like the game quite a bit. but like ciaphias says it’s a lot of looking at your creations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I played a bunch of surviving mars, it's ok I guess if you're into that sort of thing