Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Swansong apparently drops this week, but it's an Epic exclusive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Swansong apparently drops this week, but it's an Epic exclusive.

Get a console. I'll be playing it on Thursday, already pre-installed on my Xbox :getin:

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Dawgstar posted:

but it's an Epic exclusive.

The horror.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
don't care, bought it

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
The premium version comes with a free pdf of the Boston by Night sourcebook which is like 100+ pages of game adjacent tabletop stuff.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Timed exclusive or exclusive-exclusive?

midwifecrisis
Jul 5, 2005

oh, have I got some GREAT news for you!

There’s a Boston by Night? When did that come out? I remember Giovanni Chronicle IV had a city rundown.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

midwifecrisis posted:

There’s a Boston by Night? When did that come out? I remember Giovanni Chronicle IV had a city rundown.

It's an exclusive with the game for now, but apparently Renegade will be releasing it sooner or later.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Mr Scumbag posted:

That Vampire game that was mentioned in this thread a while back just released in Early Access: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604030/V_Rising/

It's the one that's like an isometric ARPG where you craft and build your own castle. No idea if it's any good. Waiting for reviews or word from people here before I spring for it.

Very early impressions are that it’s a bit janky, performance is loving dreadful, and it doesn’t do a great job of explaining much at all.

Yes I know it’s early access but I’ve been spoiled by the likes of Satisfactory.

Edit: It's also rubbing me the wrong way that there's £30 worth of DLC for an Early Access game that only launched today.

Piss Witch fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 17, 2022

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I'm old enough to remember when everyone spoke of :steam: the way everyone speaks of Epic now.

Free games are free games. :shrug:

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I'm old enough to remember when everyone spoke of :steam: the way everyone speaks of Epic now.

I don't think anyone minds the free games (though I'm surprised game devs aren't screaming about it devaluing games like the old school steam sales did), just the exclusives. But if the incentive money makes it easier for games to get made, oh well, I can wait a year.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

But they didn't. The arguments against steam back in the day was "Physical media is better because i'll still have the game when steam dies in 6 months"

The arguments against Epic are "The storefront is garbage and is doing weird data things and exclusives suck"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Exclusives do suck but I bought Evil Dead and have had nothing but a good time.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

joylessdivision posted:

Get a console. I'll be playing it on Thursday, already pre-installed on my Xbox :getin:

As God intended.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CainFortea posted:

But they didn't. The arguments against steam back in the day was "Physical media is better because i'll still have the game when steam dies in 6 months"

The arguments against Epic are "The storefront is garbage and is doing weird data things and exclusives suck"

Eh. The store front doesn't matter when you're playing the free game, the data thing was resolved in 2019 afaict and exclusives mean devs get money

E: https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/5/18295833/epic-games-store-controversy-explained this is a better article.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Scumbag posted:

The horror.

I mentioned that because people are often like me where they will look on Steam and go 'where is it.' I use Epic. It's how I played very cool and good games like Alien Isolation by spending no units of legal tender.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah it can't be overstated how healthy a library you can get on EGS by spending zero monies.

I've gotten literally every free game they've offered and there's no loving way I will be able to chew through all of it.

Christ, Prey alone is like 60 hours.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Eh. The store front doesn't matter when you're playing the free game, the data thing was resolved in 2019 afaict and exclusives mean devs get money

E: https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/5/18295833/epic-games-store-controversy-explained this is a better article.

I'm sorry but "We investigated ourselves and see nothing wrong" doesn't really hold a lot of weight for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ok

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah it can't be overstated how healthy a library you can get on EGS by spending zero monies.

I've gotten literally every free game they've offered and there's no loving way I will be able to chew through all of it.

Christ, Prey alone is like 60 hours.

Yeah, Prey's another big game I got for, again, no financial investment. I've bought a game on there maybe twice and it at this point just seemed like the merest courtesy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So V Rising is pretty good. Some neat details there too.

Sunlight is deadly. You have to use cover to run from shadow to shadow to avoid a rather frightening looking debuff where the sun literally incinerates you for massive DOT damage during the day. Since the first zone is in a forest this is obviously a lot easier to do than you'd think...Up until lots of players move in and start deforesting sections of it, leading to a situation where the more players there are exploiting resources in an area of the zone the more likely the area is to become deadly to traverse during the day as shadows diminish.

Mobs seem to patrol the zone and attack each other. Undead hate humans. Humans hate animals. Bandits kidnap villagers, militia attack bandits, etc, etc.

Did my first mini boss earlier. The archer that has a frost attack. Second boss you can do in fact. She has a triple shot bow and goes into phase two to do a PBAOE of rain of frost arrows. Pretty good for an intro boss. Though people that are familiar with ARPG's probably won't get tripped up on it.

Notably the details are really absurdly in depth. I picked up some silver coins that could be used to buy stuff from a merchant, only to get hit with a freaky screen overlay as I was handling silver, a mythical bane to vampires. Said silver was straight up charring my vamp's hands or something, doing periodic damage that made it impossible to use my travel form (which I got from hunting down an alpha wolf and eating it for transformation powers), heal, and generally just unnerved the heck out of me at first.

I can't see any complaints so far. Worth a try if you can handle EA jank. Kind of concerned if there's a PVE end game but we'll see I guess.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 18, 2022

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
yeah been playing pve coop on a private server with my brother and its a really fun game so far. dig the artstyle and atmosphere. building your own vampire castle is cool :)

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

All I can say is that it leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth that Vrising released in early access with a DLC and a "Founders Pack" and the Founders Pack doesn't even contain the DLC.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Mr Scumbag posted:

All I can say is that it leaves a particularly bad taste in my mouth that Vrising released in early access with a DLC and a "Founders Pack" and the Founders Pack doesn't even contain the DLC.

They're both cosmetic packs though? Like, one is a supporter's pack if you want to help fund development and the other is literally a "Hey, here's some cool cosmetics if you really want them." sort of deal. There's no real expansion content there.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Swansong's review embargo ends today.

:getin:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So V Rising is legit as heck. It has an extremely slow start but once you're past the early copper materials stage and firmly into copper it opens up and becomes incredibly fun while steadily introducing all sorts of new features.

Some neat stuff i've discovered in the past few hours alone:

The game lets you spawn creeps via buildings. The earliest attack capable creep comes from graves and mausoleums and spawns skeletons and ghouls who will roam about and attack other entities. Want to literally be a plague on the world? It's possible with this and a bit of coordination with other players.

The human form completely changes the game up. Suddenly you can enter settlements without being attacked. It's straight up something ripped right out of the first Legacy of Kain game, where you can interact with traders to buy stuff, do stuff in the settlements that are human aligned, etc, etc. Heck, depending on where you build at you should be able to lay siege to the larger settlements with hordes of the undead. :zombie:

I've yet to unlock the other creep structures (You have to go out and hunt down specific bosses, defeat them in combat, then eat them alive.) but there's almost certainly more as the one creep structure you get before that lets you spawn rats to eat.

Dominate form is a thing that lets you go out into the world and mind control human NPC's into doing your bidding. This is exactly as hilariously hosed up as it sounds, as with the right setup by early-mid game you can effectively sneak into a settlement, brainwash some knight or noble, and then waltz out while everyone desperately tries to stop you from kidnapping the villager like some two bit Dracula.

Shape shifting's mechanics are straight up ripped out of the Blood Omen/Legacy of Kain series. Becoming a wolf gives you a ground based movement speed boost. Becoming a townsman lets you infiltrate human settlements. Becoming a bandit lets you do that too, I suspect (they don't get along with the nation/town based forces that send out patrols to hit each other's camps). Becoming a cute cartoonish looking granny appears from what i've seen to make everyone hostile to you, since everyone in this setting is not nearly gullible enough to fall for that trick. :v:

Weapons past the bone tier have special attacks you can activate with Q. Nowhere is this mentioned, though it does show up on the UI when you equip them. Combine this with the post tutorial abilities you can get from bosses and combat becomes much quicker and fun. In fact, once you have Aftershock and the Frost Archer ability you shouldn't even be using the two starter abilities.

The Armorsmith in the bandit armory gives you an incredible damage shield that shields you from 200% damage and KB's any nearby enemies, so long as you're willing to trade out an attack ability for it. Note that this isn't nearly as bad as it might seem to newer players since by that point you should have your first weapon ability unlocked.

Insofar as survival games go I don't think there's any open world survival game that's gone this deep into trying to be an immersive sim as well. Never mind all the stuff like being able to spawn your own enemies to farm or harass people and NPC's with by adding new spawners to the world.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 18, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Swanson reviews are starting to trickle in and charitably it's mixed. On the high end I've seen an 8.5 but everybody else is getting it like a 5 or so. Common complaints seem to be the dialogue and that you don't really care about the characters until nearly the end, and it's like $50 USD for 20 hours.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
twenty hours is fine if it has the replayability of something like Alpha Protocol.

So far my only complaint about v rising is that there's no native controller support. The one i imported on steam was terrible, but there are a few other layouts to try.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Soonmot posted:

twenty hours is fine if it has the replayability of something like Alpha Protocol.

So far my only complaint about v rising is that there's no native controller support. The one i imported on steam was terrible, but there are a few other layouts to try.

Nothing has the replayability of AP.

That game was once-in-a-lifetime.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Dawgstar posted:

Swanson reviews are starting to trickle in and charitably it's mixed. On the high end I've seen an 8.5 but everybody else is getting it like a 5 or so. Common complaints seem to be the dialogue and that you don't really care about the characters until nearly the end, and it's like $50 USD for 20 hours.

Extremely mixed. 5-9 averaging around a 7.

https://opencritic.com/game/12936/vampire-the-masquerade-swansong/reviews

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Ign, complaining about story in this game, gave the extremely bad pokemon sword a 9.3 for its garbage town story. You can ignore ign forever.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Dpulex posted:

Ign, complaining about story in this game, gave the extremely bad pokemon sword a 9.3 for its garbage town story. You can ignore ign forever.

Aside from the fact that review scores are based on more than just the story of a game...

And aside from the fact that the story/writing has FAR more importance in some games than others...

And aside from the fact that multiple different people review games for websites and have varying preferences (and yes, two different people reviewed both Pokemon Sword and Swansong for IGN)...

You haven't actually played the game to comment on how wrong IGN may or may not be.

So all in all, your post is extremely weird and bad. If you have an ax to grind with IGN (and you clearly do), might I suggest going to Reddit? They'll welcome you with open arms.

If what people are saying is true and Swansong is averaging about 7 in scores, it's pretty much exactly what I expected (and I'm sure many others were too), and I still look forward to playing it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I've seen the first hour of the game played, don't care about the bad technical aspects, or the bad visuals, but the dialogue I saw was also extremely mediocre, to be generous.

This message brought to you by Code Red

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Swansong looks like absolute garbage from everything I am seeing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

A major complaint is that if you're not into the IP, there's a lot of jargon and it's confusing, which doesn't apply to anyone posting in this thread so maybe take some of the criticisms with a grain of salt. Bloodlines 1 was panned for its story when it came out for similar reasons, too.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Several reviews say the writing is just boring/flat, even if the ~consequences~ are cool and interesting. I will wait and see on the Vox Populi before potentially sinking my fangs in.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

https://www.polygon.com/reviews/23093993/vampire-the-masquerade-swansong-review-platforms-release-date

"Gleeful RPG Soap Opera"

Nice.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

I switched to the control scheme that currently has 2 votes on steam and it works pretty well on V Rising.

What have folks been doing during the day? I tried resting in my coffin but it doesn't actually show you the advancing time.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

During the day is when I go out and harvest resources. It's not too limiting if you just run from tree to rock to fence. PvP can also be pretty good fun during this time.

And nthing V Rising as good. Definitely far more Legacy of Cain than VtM but it's fun and stylish. Really hits the mark in terms of making vampire weaknesses significant but not too annoying to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
V Rising looks interesting, but what's with the expensive DLCs?