Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Qwertycoatl posted:

bad news for ape holders hoping to get a date

https://twitter.com/y4kxyz/status/1524893128444067841

looks like no one will be using slurp juice on any apes after all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Qwertycoatl posted:

bad news for ape holders hoping to get a date

https://twitter.com/y4kxyz/status/1524893128444067841

I mean Grindr has a vastly uneven ratio of men to women, and they've done pretty well. Sounds like somebody just isn't thinking like a disruptor.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

tak posted:

What was the story there again? It was "fixed" by a hard-fork early on right?
yeah, basically a new rev was released that fixed the overflow bug that produced the 184 billion butts and also rolled the blockchain back to the block before the exploit, undoing ~6 hours of "legit" mining in addition to the bug

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Join our vibrant community of piss stain shitheads!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Paladinus posted:

Join our vibrant community of piss
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tYvGfF1Gkg

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER

infernal machines posted:

oh man. i forgot about bitcointalk's reputation system that put flair under your username

it's how you get the excellent HERO MEMBER/SCAMMER combo

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

killhamster posted:

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

i could post a ton of Old Money designs that are rad if people want me to i guess but we're now in derail territory

Sharing intricate examples of good money tech as a palette cleanser between discussing the bad money tech seems like a great addition to the thread, to me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

hmm, never heard of that.
this was almost 20 years ago so I'd hope the technology had improved in the meantime, also the constellation is extremely widespread

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

gschmidl posted:

incels interlinked

do they keep you in a little block

incels

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

killhamster posted:

always a class act

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Alan Smithee posted:

do they keep you in a little block

incels

When they arrest you for a crypto ponzi scheme will they keep you in cells

Incels

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

had the misfortune to get into it with some little crypto freak and he came so close to having a realization. he perfectly describes git without knowing it.

quote:

Imagine if you had a Git repo that everyone could access and everyone could push commits to and hundreds of thousands of systems around the world all independently validated that every single commit was legit and that the chain as a whole was valid and that the whole timeline going back to inception was replayable commit to commit all the way till now. Now add in that it is redundantly stored in tens of thousands of places and would take shutting down all of them to disable it. That’s an immutable blockchain.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Beeftweeter posted:

old USD used to be legit pretty cool looking and indeed had a lot of tits on it. i used (and cleaned up) a bunch of really old designs to test out my new laser printer. ex:

how come this note can't be used for duties on imports and interest on the public debt?

Beeftweeter posted:

they used to put all sorts of people on money, not just presidents. i gave up on completely fixing this because the original is an absolute mess and i was just using them as printer tests, but william l. marcy (secretary of state, secretary of war, ny gov. etc) pops up a lot:

i could post a ton of Old Money designs that are rad if people want me to i guess but we're now in derail territory

e: also everything i've posted has been 50% sized, so you can see why they'd be useful for testing print resolution

but then this one can?

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Baxate posted:

had the misfortune to get into it with some little crypto freak and he came so close to having a realization. he perfectly describes git without knowing it.

Holy poo poo. LMFAO.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

how come this note can't be used for duties on imports and interest on the public debt?

but then this one can?

because it says so, duh :colbert:

Real talk, the first looks to be a United States Note, which was a form of fiat currency during the gold standard era. The second is effectively a silver deposit certificate.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Blotto_Otter posted:

yeah, it's been theorized before that one way Tether issues USDT is by printing up a bunch of unbacked USDT and lending it to an affiliate or a crypto exchange (and then recording that loan balance as one of their reserve assets). if that theory was correct, then it's possible that what we're seeing here is borrowers returning their borrowed USDT to Tether in satisfaction of their loans, rather than Tether actually redeeming USDTs for cash.

you mean "Tether literally did precisely that thing and it's one of the things the CFTC busted them for"

The CFTC settlement with Tether posted:

At various times during the Relevant Period, Respondents also considered anticipated receivables and anticipated wire transfers as assets for purposes of calculating the Tether Reserves.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

speaking of circlejerks

https://twitter.com/FatManTerra/status/1527153694218797058

https://twitter.com/FatManTerra/status/1527153698706755584?s=20&t=EHUZt_GkPE3A373G1EmRuA

they managed to lose 4,000 customers’ savings through stablecoins baby

and bonus: they won’t let you withdraw what you have left without signing a paper saying you won’t sue them for financial criming

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 10:03 on May 19, 2022

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Stablecoins?
No, high-risk investments!

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
sounds good for bitcoin

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010

YC '22, they raised 3M barely a month ago to run a ponzi scheme. Fun times!

https://www.ycombinator.com/companies/stablegains

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

speaking of circlejerks

https://twitter.com/FatManTerra/status/1527153694218797058

https://twitter.com/FatManTerra/status/1527153698706755584?s=20&t=EHUZt_GkPE3A373G1EmRuA

they managed to lose 4,000 customers’ savings through stablecoins baby

and bonus: they won’t let you withdraw what you have left without signing a paper saying you won’t sue them for financial criming

turns out they converted all the customer money into UST, and the part about spreading their holdings across multiple stablecoins was a lie

https://twitter.com/LTTG10/status/1527163329201901568

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://twitter.com/stablegains/status/1523874919913820160
"our users are instructing us to convert their USD/USDC deposits into UST"
lol yeah that's definitely what clients thought they were doing

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
We're getting an enormous amount of emails from our customers who insist we should use their money to move to an island nation without any extradition agreements with the US and live a comfortably luxury until our deaths of old age. It's a strange request, but in this business we always listen to customers first and oblige their every whim.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Main Paineframe posted:

turns out they converted all the customer money into UST, and the part about spreading their holdings across multiple stablecoins was a lie

i don't particularly have anything to add here except: lmao

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Main Paineframe posted:

Its like that scene in Margin Call where the Risk Management VP walks in and tells them that the Analyst got it right and the entire equation was worthless.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Its like that scene in Margin Call where the Risk Management VP walks in and tells them that the Analyst got it right and the entire equation was worthless.
When this is over, I want a shot-for-shot remake of Margin Call but it's about crypto and directed by John Waters.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shumagorath posted:

When this is over, I want a shot-for-shot remake of Margin Call but it's about crypto and directed by John Waters.
who wants to die for apes?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

doingitwrong posted:

Sharing intricate examples of good money tech as a palette cleanser between discussing the bad money tech seems like a great addition to the thread, to me.

i think this one's called "inventing buttcoin"

actual BEP name is "the altar of liberty" for some reason

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gazpacho posted:

who wants to die for apes?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Shumagorath posted:

all my flamingos gone

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

actually here's a pretty neat one:

i converted it to grayscale to save toner, but the only thing that was actually in color anyway was the (brown) treasury seal, iirc

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Shumagorath posted:

Wes Anderson would be a funnier pick because you'd have Bill Murray in there being the guy who told them all so

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Wes Anderson would be a funnier pick because you'd have Bill Murray in there being the guy who told them all so

Wes Anderson's "Planet of the Ugly Apes"

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Beeftweeter posted:

actually here's a pretty neat one:

i converted it to grayscale to save toner, but the only thing that was actually in color anyway was the (brown) treasury seal, iirc

missing the days when science, commerce, and manufacture were hot babes, but at least electricity and steam have grown up strong

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Plank Walker posted:

missing the days when science, commerce, and manufacture were hot babes, but at least electricity and steam have grown up strong

women on money? that's downright unamerican leftist garbage!!!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

CommieGIR posted:

Wes Anderson's "Planet of the Ugly Apes"

THEY MADE IT ALL UP!

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Someone who is good with Photoshop put this on the Lionel Hutz meme:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Theres one thats like education leading the masses that has meme potential but gently caress if i can find it. Wasnt a production run so who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mrmcd posted:

Someone who is good with Photoshop put this on the Lionel Hutz meme:

How is this real

How was Bush's flub last night real

How is monkeypox hitting 25 countries at once real

lmao