Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Isn't that basically them jamming around with the ending of Talk Show Host? Very cool indeed, wouldn't be surprised if stays as more of a Radiohead thing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hughesta posted:

Was pretty disappointed on first listen how much it just felt like AMSP 2 - little more rock to it but overall felt very slow.

I'm still in this phase. I do love "You Will Never Work in Television Again" though.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
It doesn't feel much like AMSP to me at all. If anything it reminds me of Anima in places. I really like it a lot. The Same in particular feels like it could fit in on Anima.

edit: Come to think of it, Open The Floodgates does feel like a cousin of Daydreaming

Volte fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 15, 2022

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan

Volte posted:

It doesn't feel much like AMSP to me at all. If anything it reminds me of Anima in places. I really like it a lot. The Same in particular feels like it could fit in on Anima.

edit: Come to think of it, Open The Floodgates does feel like a cousin of Daydreaming

Don't know track names but there are tracks very reminiscent of Identikit and Tinker Tailor (separately).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
It's not really AMSP 2, the mood is completely different.

I feel elements of Kid A, Amnesiac, and King of Limbs in here quite a bit too.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Framboise posted:

Agreed with you 100%.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
A Hairdryer feels like something that could have been on King of Limbs and Amnesiac simultaneously

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
in rainbows disc 3

Bolt Yaride
Oct 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Lovely new radiohead album

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Album's definitely scratching the itch. I like it a lot.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

It's a very good album that probably won't win many awards but that's okay.

I initially regarded AMSP really well but it fell off for me over the last few years since its release. It's a great album but it's something you have to be in a mood for with how slow it generally is. I wouldn't say this album is AMSP 2 either but there are elements that feel more in line with it than anything else. Fortunately it's slightly more upbeat in places to keep it from dragging too much.

Martman posted:

edit: oh yeah not just AMSP, A Hairdryer sounds very much like a re-imagining of Morning Mr Magpie. Still loving it overall

I'm playing it again right now and I can see it. It's probably the backing guitar line doing it.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
It’s good but it’s also one of those annoying side releases where for the most part it’s just a weaker iteration of what the full band does. Even if it’s means it’s a B compared to an A-.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

triple sulk posted:

I initially regarded AMSP really well but it fell off for me over the last few years since its release. It's a great album but it's something you have to be in a mood for with how slow it generally is. I wouldn't say this album is AMSP 2 either but there are elements that feel more in line with it than anything else. Fortunately it's slightly more upbeat in places to keep it from dragging too much.

The overwhelming mood of AMSP - at least as far as it seems to me is - is grief. And that's definitely not something most of us are feeling/wanting to feel, most of the time

EDIT

But I do get the comparisons. This album has a few more upbeat tracks, but so much of it similarly seems to be about dying/transcending/reincarnation/the general end of the world we're all living through

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Both are good

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I like both too, but still, lmao

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Framboise posted:

Definitely agreed on the Kid A & Amnesiac vibes, they seem to be scattered throughout the whole album to the point where some sounds are so similar it feels like this is almost a part 3 that has just been released much later rather than following the close releases of Kid A & Amnesiac when they came out.

Obviously the record stands on its own but there's multiple occasions where songs sound like they would fit and flow perfectly on either of those albums and therefore not at all be out of place having released back in 2002 as a follow-up to Amnesiac and that yearly release cycle they had.

Also maybe in the minority here but it's hard to not think of this as a new Radiohead album. I know it's a side project and I'm sure some songs would have turned out differently with the other members involved but it still sounds like the full band together, it's difficult to think of as a standalone side project compared to Atoms For Peace which did sound very distinct but this has so many elements of different Radiohead works scattered throughout that it does feel like a new record from them.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

SUNKOS posted:

Also maybe in the minority here but it's hard to not think of this as a new Radiohead album. I know it's a side project and I'm sure some songs would have turned out differently with the other members involved but it still sounds like the full band together, it's difficult to think of as a standalone side project compared to Atoms For Peace which did sound very distinct but this has so many elements of different Radiohead works scattered throughout that it does feel like a new record from them.

I'm really interested in this dynamic too. Has much been confirmed about how this came about? It's a very weird situation, with both primary songwriters involved in a side project, it feels a lot more 'Radiohead without some original members' than any other solo record, or any examples I can think of from other bands, for that matter. I wonder how the rest of the band feel about it...

I think I may have read somewhere that it's a bit of a Jonny solo project that got out of hand - is that accurate? I can see how that's the case, and how this band could form organically without the rest of Radiohead being marginalised –if you need some vocals for something and have Thom Yorke on speed dial, you're probably gonna make use of it...

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Answers Me posted:

I think I may have read somewhere that it's a bit of a Jonny solo project that got out of hand - is that accurate? I can see how that's the case, and how this band could form organically without the rest of Radiohead being marginalised –if you need some vocals for something and have Thom Yorke on speed dial, you're probably gonna make use of it...

I guess the counter to that is that songs like Free In The Knowledge and Skrting On the Surface are clearly Thom solo songs that have been floating around for awhile.

I would just guess that Radiohead are still pretty deep in the fallow period and everyone's doing their own thing. Ed did his album and had Phil on for a couple of songs, Phil had his own solo album, Thom and Jonny (who I always got the impression are particularly close) are doing their own thing...

Where's all the Colin action, though???

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

Barry Foster posted:

Where's all the Colin action, though???

He's been here for 6 years

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/14462209.radiohead-bassist-colin-greenwood-pulls-first-pint-oxford-pubs-new-courtyard/

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

:unsmith:

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The thing that tells me that this isn't just Thom and Jonny's post-Radiohead period is that they didn't put a single Radiohead song into the setlist (unless you dubiously count the few songs that Radiohead soundchecked or performed once). Contrast that with Thom's solo gig he did last month where he did a ton of Radiohead stuff, mixed with some Smile and solo tracks. If this was a "Radiohead is dead and this is what comes next" type of project, I don't think he would treat them as such clearly distinct entities. I can't say for sure that we'll see more Radiohead activity, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i think this was just their covid project

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Barry Foster posted:

I guess the counter to that is that songs like Free In The Knowledge and Skrting On the Surface are clearly Thom solo songs that have been floating around for awhile.

There's a Smile song which is absent from the album which a lot of people seem to be disappointed about, but I saw someone post a video of Radiohead jamming it live during their last tour (I think?) and it sounded a lot better with the whole band together performing it. Makes me wonder how much material actually started as Radiohead tunes. I think some old songs have finally seen release on Thom solo projects as well, haven't they? They must have a huge vault of material, especially when it can take such a long time for songs performed live to make it onto an album after it's been floating around for a decade or longer.

I vaguely recall an interview with Jonny where he talked about trying to finalize the track listing for the Smile record as well and I think he mentioned them having a lot of songs to try to cut down from. I might be remembering wrong but I think he implied they had recorded enough material to easily release two albums if they wanted.

Kinda surprised 'Cut a Hole' didn't make it onto the album but the Radiohead version is utterly perfect and I hope we get a studio version of it as-is one day.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

There's a Smile song which is absent from the album which a lot of people seem to be disappointed about, but I saw someone post a video of Radiohead jamming it live during their last tour (I think?) and it sounded a lot better with the whole band together performing it. Makes me wonder how much material actually started as Radiohead tunes. I think some old songs have finally seen release on Thom solo projects as well, haven't they? They must have a huge vault of material, especially when it can take such a long time for songs performed live to make it onto an album after it's been floating around for a decade or longer.
The song in question is Just Eyes And Mouth and it evolved from the extended Talk Show Host ending jam that they introduced on the 2016 tour. It's not really the same song though, since the Radiohead "version" is really just Talk Show Host with the original baseline and drum groove, where as The Smile's song is a totally new song born from that one guitar riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SfLBElBXq8&t=255s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3mYfI6lJAA&t=30s

SUNKOS posted:

I vaguely recall an interview with Jonny where he talked about trying to finalize the track listing for the Smile record as well and I think he mentioned them having a lot of songs to try to cut down from. I might be remembering wrong but I think he implied they had recorded enough material to easily release two albums if they wanted.
I think you're misremembering there, I don't recall them ever mentioning having more material than they've shown. They mentioned a huge number of possible song orders:

The number in question is 13 factorial (i.e. the number of possible permutations of 13 songs, which is the number of tracks on the released album). As far as I know they've played all the songs they have live, including at their recent live shows when they introduced a new song. I wouldn't be surprised to see new songs introduced as the tour progresses though. Being a three-piece should make it a lot easier to introduce new stuff on the fly.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That's definitely the video I saw, thanks for linking it. Had no idea it was a jam at the end of Talk Show Host, that's cool. It's neat to see how they can just jam out like that and Thom's little nod to Phil to end the song and everyone's on the same page, not just playing but paying attention to each other and clearly enjoying themselves too :3: Reminds me of the original version of Ful Stop and Colin walking over to Thom at one point with a bit of a confused look and Thom just raises his knee and apparently that answered whatever query Colin had because he then walked back to his usual spot. When I saw the song live Ed didn't even do anything, he just put his guitar down and danced on his side of the stage :3:

As for how much material they have I could be misremembering yeah, but I'm definitely not thinking of the Tweet you linked. My recollection is Jonny specifically mentioning which songs to include on the album and saying they recorded a lot but yeah, I'm not 100% at all on if I'm remembering right or maybe even mixing it up for something else. I think it was Jonny however and that he might have joked they had enough for a second album but I can't remember where I read the interview now :bang:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

To be fair during the London live shows Thom did specifically say they played every song they'd written. Whether you believe him or not is another matter but the only other track they've played since is that one from last week that they literally wrote earlier that day.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rammstein! I was thinking of Rammstein. Must have read articles/interviews about both bands the same day and got jumbled. My bad and Stev's confirmed what Thom said so yeah, that's me getting mixed up.

GEEKABALL
May 30, 2011

Throw out your hands!!
Stick out your tush!!
Hands on your hips
Give them a push!!
Fun Shoe

Framboise posted:

Exactly my thoughts.
Caught myself humming The Smoke many times lately, it' pretty drat good.
Very excited, going to see them this July.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Volte posted:

The thing that tells me that this isn't just Thom and Jonny's post-Radiohead period is that they didn't put a single Radiohead song into the setlist (unless you dubiously count the few songs that Radiohead soundchecked or performed once). Contrast that with Thom's solo gig he did last month where he did a ton of Radiohead stuff, mixed with some Smile and solo tracks. If this was a "Radiohead is dead and this is what comes next" type of project, I don't think he would treat them as such clearly distinct entities. I can't say for sure that we'll see more Radiohead activity, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Individual band members have said here and there in the past few years, as recently as a few months ago, that they don’t consider Radiohead to be over, they just don’t have anything good for it right now. I’m not worried about the prospect of never getting another Radiohead album, it’s just probably gonna take a long-rear end time - nobody in the band is under any pressure to make music for any reason other than they want to, which also tends to lead to better music, so hey.

That being said if their next album is the last one that wouldn’t surprise me at all, either thematically or just because they’re all in their 50s and are spending 5+ years between albums meaning they’ll logically be retirement age for LP11

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGx1t3ZUvtU

They've introduced another new song called "Bodies Laughing", introduced as brand new but also notably present on the Radiohead studio blackboards from 2005 and 2006, so who knows if it's just a re-used title or actually that original song. It reminds me of Knives Out and Blow Out.

Volte fucked around with this message at 15:26 on May 24, 2022

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I really like Thom's guitar playing on that song, I hope we get a studio recording of it sometime. They were very eager to release singles so I guess it's too late to turn up as a b-side for one?

Those studio blackboard pictures are fascinating as well, there must be a huge amount of tracks in various stages of completion. I'm particularly curious about Morning Mi Lord just because of the funny name but it could have become Morning Mr Magpie for all we know.

Edit: Saw this was uploaded after watching the video linked above and thought it might be interesting for anyone curious, especially since someone mentioned earlier about The Smile being its own thing with no other material from elsewhere played but that seems to have changed now. I still can't get used to seeing Jonny playing a guitar that isn't a Telecaster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLCe_kBLkZY

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2022

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
I remember listening to a fan interview(?) once where they basically just sat down with Ed and rattled through those blackboard lists to find out what those songs were, which was kinda fascinating (if a little awkward, as Ed was clearly blindsided by the line of questioning and grew weary of it towards the end, iirc)

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!

SUNKOS posted:

I'm particularly curious about Morning Mi Lord just because of the funny name but it could have become Morning Mr Magpie for all we know.

Definitely, Thom introduced it as both when they first played it in a 2002 webcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFjNNMJT-NU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Answers Me posted:

I remember listening to a fan interview(?) once where they basically just sat down with Ed and rattled through those blackboard lists to find out what those songs were, which was kinda fascinating (if a little awkward, as Ed was clearly blindsided by the line of questioning and grew weary of it towards the end, iirc)

Oh god that Citizen Insane interview was simultaneously super fascinating and very, very cringe. Ed did his best to indulge a goony super-fan, but even he got a little catty as the site owner asked about dates of rehearsals that happened in 1995, or the speed of the tape loops on Bangers and Mash or whatever.

e: (apparently, minus the main vocals, B+M was constructed entirely out of 1.5 second tape loops and was one of the first things they worked on for what would be the IR sessions in 2004. Unironic thanks Citizen Insane for embarrassing yourself in front of Ed O’Brien to get this info.)

HD DAD fucked around with this message at 16:59 on May 24, 2022

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

SUNKOS posted:

Edit: Saw this was uploaded after watching the video linked above and thought it might be interesting for anyone curious, especially since someone mentioned earlier about The Smile being its own thing with no other material from elsewhere played but that seems to have changed now. I still can't get used to seeing Jonny playing a guitar that isn't a Telecaster.
Feeling Pulled Apart By Horses was released as a Thom solo track, but Thom and Jonny both performed on it and are credited with writing it, so I guess you could consider it "proto-Smile" material.

(There was an early Radiohead version though.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_j6c21spck

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

That Radiohead version is still my favorite, and I love all the noise added to the track as it progresses. The only part I'm not fond of is the "Reckoner!" section which is absent from Thom's version but aside from the interesting and familiar start it quickly becomes boring and fizzles out compared to the Radiohead version which is exciting and I'd argue didn't need much more work to have been album-ready. Then again people have expressed that they feel Hail to the Thief is too long already but drat would that version of FPABH fit well on that album nicely slotted between Punchup & Myxomatosis. Would have sat well alongside Bodysnatchers on In Rainbows as well imo but :shrug:

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Man, when I first listened to In Rainbows and Reckoner came on, and I was expecting that song instead of one of the greatest Radiohead songs ever.

I’d say “That song is good, don’t get it twisted” but eh, I find a lot of the material they were drafting during that period after HTTT and before they went back into the Studio to do In Rainbows to be very corny.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 28, 2022

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
In Rainbows is the best one. It has like…one song that’s just kind of ok and the rest of it is perfecto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

In Rainbows is the best one. It has like…one song that’s just kind of ok and the rest of it is perfecto

What’s the one song

Bodysnatchers?