Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I couldn't even get through the boring as poo poo history book this show is based on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I thought this got cancelled. Guess I’ll watch it :shrug:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

kloa posted:

The first attempt got canceled

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

kloa posted:

The one with Naomi Watts set several thousand years before never got picked up. I'd rather have seen that one.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
id rather see a sequel 😩

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Man I used to have an encyclopedic knowledge of this universe and the combination of GRRM not writing and the series turning into crap killed off any interest.

That said, the book this is based on is a super condensed version of the series and I actually enjoyed it, so I guess I’ll wait and see.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

there should be a mouse who is friends with the dragon and they go on adventures and get married and its called mouse of the dragon :)

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This also has the advantage of having a clear ending point and events, they just have to pick where they will end.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Doing Dunk & Egg woulda been the better move imo

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

bobjr posted:

This also has the advantage of having a clear ending point and events, they just have to pick where they will end.

probably after the wedding where all the mouse and dragon families are there. and the twist this time around will be that it will all end happily ever after!!!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Doing Dunk & Egg woulda been the better move imo

True, but HBO wants another long running megabucks series. The existing Dunk and Egg stories would probably cover a miniseries at most, and would need to be changed quite a bit to have any staying power beyond that.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Professor Shark posted:

Man I used to have an encyclopedic knowledge of this universe and the combination of GRRM not writing and the series turning into crap killed off any interest.

That said, the book this is based on is a super condensed version of the series and I actually enjoyed it, so I guess I’ll wait and see.

Man, I used to watch those YouTube videos by the obsessive guy who has elaborate theories about the conspiracies of families who are mentioned twice, and sometimes I could follow them.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dunk and Egg is going to be an animated show

Agreed that they seem like a good idea. Each story can be a season and GRRM may or may not have some of the remaining stories planned out

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The dunk and egg books aren’t finished yet either.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

stev posted:

True, but HBO wants another long running megabucks series. The existing Dunk and Egg stories would probably cover a miniseries at most, and would need to be changed quite a bit to have any staying power beyond that.
I feel like the smartest move would be to have it be a miniseries, like 3 or 4 eps per story, but the shareholders aren't going to buy that :sigh:

battlepigeon
Aug 3, 2008

Will there be any bad pussy in this prequel?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

You want the bad pussy but you need a good show.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I need to know who wrote that line so I can give my due diligence and mock them appropriately

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GRRM isn't Shakespeare or anything but he is a much better writer than that. The GoT team became magicians who believed in their own magic and it was a complete disaster on every level. The actors did their best, but jfk that show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That DICK! posted:

probably after the wedding where all the mouse and dragon families are there. and the twist this time around will be that it will all end happily ever after!!!

The Rad Wedding.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

GRRM isn't Shakespeare or anything but he is a much better writer than that. The GoT team became magicians who believed in their own magic and it was a complete disaster on every level. The actors did their best, but jfk that show.

Yeah, I genuinely feel bad for the actress that had to say that. How embarrassing.

I feel bad for all the Sand Snakes, honestly. They were done pretty dirty and you could tell the show was just trying to get rid of them.

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I can't believe HBO picked this over the prequel set 10000 years in the past. That pilot must've been an absolute stinker if they passed on it. I want to see it more than I want to see this show.

iirc from the Eurocon 2019 panel, Linda & Elio were involved on that, so HBO probably passed due to Linda's racism making everything shittier than needed to be. Also the Dance of the Dragons has a definite ending that's already written, that might have been a consideration too after s8

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Grillfiend posted:

iirc from the Eurocon 2019 panel, Linda & Elio were involved on that, so HBO probably passed due to Linda's racism making everything shittier than needed to be. Also the Dance of the Dragons has a definite ending that's already written, that might have been a consideration too after s8

Rhaenys kind of forgot about Vhagar

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

At the height of Game of Thrones Mania, I bought the World of Ice & Fire in-universe encyclopedia guidebook and really enjoyed reading it, to the point that I think I even edited a few entries on the Song of Ice & Fire Wiki.

Flash forward eight years from then and I'm at the stage where I figure, I might as well watch at least the pilot episode of this.

Also, to anyone whose thoughts are "I'm going to wait until Martin finishes the books to watch this/finish the series/watch the original GOT," just stop deluding yourself.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Chairman Capone posted:

At the height of Game of Thrones Mania, I bought the World of Ice & Fire in-universe encyclopedia guidebook and really enjoyed reading it

Same. Shortly after I got that book I took it with me on a solo camping trip, and there was one particular morning where it just rained nonstop. So I holed up in my tent and just read about the history of the kings of Westeros by lantern for the better part of the day, and I was enthralled. So many of the stories implied within the history of Westeros are such fun mirrors of real history, like Baelor's Christ-like barefoot pilgrimage to Dorne, that one young king who thought he was hot poo poo and got himself killed in a pointless war, the king that gave no fucks whatsoever and was just a horrible fat bastard to everyone, the wise king who only sat the throne for like a year but pretty much ran things for several decades prior as Hand....the list goes on.

And as I mentioned in the OP, I think this particular moment in time should feature a lot of those fun stories and characters within. And as another goon mentioned, this story has a clear ending already written which should hopefully, hopefully make a difference when it's time to wrap the series up.

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Hughmoris posted:

Bring it on. I enjoyed GoT for the most part but didn't care enough to commit sudoku over the ending like some people.

A good story is a good story so I'll give it a chance.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

timp posted:

Same. Shortly after I got that book I took it with me on a solo camping trip, and there was one particular morning where it just rained nonstop. So I holed up in my tent and just read about the history of the kings of Westeros by lantern for the better part of the day, and I was enthralled.

This sounds absolutely delightful :swoon:

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I guess I'll just be happy to have dialogue not written by Dave and Dan. That "Fookin' Cocks and c***s" banter from characters like Bronn was the worst.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
initially they imagined Bronn as a warrior troubadour who would sing merry tunes as he went along. didn't test well so they scrapped it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_Qon-Udlhw

Abner Assington
Mar 13, 2005

For I am a sinner in the hands of an angry god. Bloody Mary, full of vodka, blessed are you among cocktails. Pray for me now, at the hour of my death, which I hope is soon.

Amen.
Knew what that was before clicking.

You son of a bitch.

… Anyway, yeah, I think I'm with the bulk of posters that are barely interested—while this is so much further in the past that it's not connected to GoT, knowing that the overall end result is whatever that poo poo+piss show we got in S8 is kind of enough to sour it for me. But Matt Smith, Graham McTavish, and Paddy Considine are in it, so I'll give it a whirl, I guess.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

I'll be saving that for future use!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

What's the point of finishing the books when he already took part in saving video games with Elden Ring. Martin wept for there were no more nerds to conquer.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I guess I'll just be happy to have dialogue not written by Dave and Dan. That "Fookin' Cocks and c***s" banter from characters like Bronn was the worst.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I always liked that picture of a horse that becomes more realistic until Season x and becomes a child’s depiction by Season 8

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

jng2058 posted:

I gotta say, I'm almost entirely indifferent to this show. If people I trust tell me that it's worth watching, I'll probably give it a look. If they say it sucks or is even just blah, then forget it. Unlike when GoT itself debuted, there's a lot of fantasy TV out there. Wheel of Time, Witcher, Rings of Power, probably more coming down the line that I haven't even heard of yet. House of the Dragon ain't Game of Thrones. It ain't the only choice for high production value fantasy TV. So it can be judged on it's own merits instead of as a rare thing we've all been waiting for.

Wheel of Time is absolute trash, and The Witcher is only marginally better. Based on the trailer and how poorly Wheel of Time turned out, I would not have high hopes for Rings of Power.

The bar for fantasy on TV right now is extremely low. House of the Dragon could be slightly better than GoT season 8 and it would still be light years ahead of the next best show. On production value alone, the trailer already looks light years better than the other shows. Wheel of Time in particular looks like a late season CW show when everyone is phoning it in because they are bored, jaded, but willing to collect that network TV money.

someusername
Jan 26, 2015
Brittania is worth a watch IMHO. It has a plot with a sense of urgency (at least in s1-s2), and really hits a tone of not taking itself too seriously while not being irreverant.
And Morrissey is out of his mind.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

someusername posted:

Brittania is worth a watch IMHO. It has a plot with a sense of urgency (at least in s1-s2), and really hits a tone of not taking itself too seriously while not being irreverant.
And Morrissey is out of his mind.

The third season is fun, and they add Sophie Okonedo as a regular in a loving awesome role.

However it ends on a cliffhanger and hasn't yet been renewed for a fourth season (and it all aired last year) so I dunno if there'll be more.

There's some cool stuff though.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah I tried watching The Witcher's first season and that was a mess. I can follow complex plots but I genuinely never really understood what was a flashback and what was supposed to be a modern day scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth