Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Klyith posted:

I think that trying to judge whether LTT is a fun or lovely (or both!) place to work based on the youtube videos is like trying to judge whether a movie set was a fun or lovely environment based on watching the movie.

I said the same earlier itt and someone replied that they also have an external HR firm, which might be the place an employee with a HR problem would go.

Employees with HR problems never get a good outcome even in large companies so I doubt it actually makes much of a difference. HR exists to protect the employer not the employee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

The Grumbles posted:

How do you know this? have ex staffers gone on twitter rants or something?

i'm acquaintances with a number of current and former ltt employees

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
that video with the color wheel that was on techquicky had a really weird vibe for some reason, idk. they were sooooo familiar with each other? it didn't feel like boss behaviour

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

CoolCab posted:

they were sooooo familiar with each other? it didn't feel like boss behaviour

Every time Jake is at Linus' house.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I hope Linus is reporting all this LTT supplied labour in his home as personal income...

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

power crystals posted:

Every time Jake is at Linus' house.

He seems so familiar there I wonder if Jake is actually moving in there too. I know in the videos he's there to help set up but there's a ton of "we" and "our room" talk that makes it sound like he's going to live there too. I could just be seeing stuff that's not there too, who knows.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

GutBomb posted:

He seems so familiar there I wonder if Jake is actually moving in there too. I know in the videos he's there to help set up but there's a ton of "we" and "our room" talk that makes it sound like he's going to live there too. I could just be seeing stuff that's not there too, who knows.

i think he's just real good buds with linus and expects to be allowed to hang out there often.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t think Jake is going to live there. He may have a set of keys.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Inept posted:

overclocking things until they start on fire, sure. attempting to make a raid setup with no fail protection, why not? having your staff move you isn't interesting, it's lovely.

People watch it, it's why they milked the last moving vlog :shrug:

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Klyith posted:

I think that trying to judge whether LTT is a fun or lovely (or both!) place to work based on the youtube videos is like trying to judge whether a movie set was a fun or lovely environment based on watching the movie.

I look forward to seeing Rust as well.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

GutBomb posted:

Agreeing that it's probably just he expects to hang out there a lot, but honestly if somebody's first exposure to LTT was one of those videos and they concluded Jake was in a poly triad with Linus and his wife I'd have a hard time saying they're wrong.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I mean the guy built a lan gaming center in his house what do you think

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Every rear end in a top hat techtuber has to have at least 5 Neon led lights in frame at all times.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on
I'm pretty sure, during one of the new home videos, they mentioned that Jake lived with Linus and family for a while.

It looks to me like it's just a good friendship honestly.

As to using staff to move equipment. Linus does seem to be stuck in the mindset of "I'm not rich, I have to save every penny I can because I'm so poor." Given what I remember of how he grew up (split family, never had a lot of money), that can be a real hard mindset to get out of. He's said a few times that he is a literal millionaire now, so the optics do come across pretty bad, especially when you add on his blindness to "I'm the best boss, union isn't needed" he's said in the past.

That said, what with fuel prices atm, even if he paid the staff that was there overtime, it probably came out well cheaper than a moving company. Also a moving company could be a real gamble with some of the equipment and furniture he has in that place. A lot of times, they (the movers) don't give a crap about it. As long as it gets from point A to point B in a mostly complete fashion, their job is done. I've seen a very few companies actually care about your stuff, but most of the time they can be worse than UPS and FedEx combined as to how the condition of your things fare during the move.

FistLips
Dec 14, 2004

Must I dream and always see your face?
They postes this to their youtube/twitter a couple weeks ago:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Linus has ripped up the check from Intel for the controversial Israel video
Free Palestine?!.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBYHwRXmEhY

(don't think the check is real)
(bet it's a bank transfer)
lol

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 19, 2022

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

power crystals posted:

but honestly if somebody's first exposure to LTT was one of those videos and they concluded Jake was in a poly triad with Linus and his wife I'd have a hard time saying they're wrong.

I’ve watched LTT for a while but this is still extremely the vibe I got watching that video

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Adolf Glitter posted:

Linus has ripped up the check from Intel for the controversial Israel video
Free Palestine?!.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBYHwRXmEhY

(don't think the check is real)
(bet it's a bank transfer)
lol

Linus Tankie Tips

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Soul Glo posted:

I’ve watched LTT for a while but this is still extremely the vibe I got watching that video

Never have my thoughts been so encapsulated by some other person's post.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I see it as married couple with a rambunctious live-in nephew or stepson but ay

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
the family matters of Mr Techtips or his large adult son are of any concern to this thread, please respect their privacy

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Every time Linus is on camera I’m really struck by how absolutely microscopic his hands are.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Every time Linus is on camera I’m really struck by how absolutely microscopic his hands are.

the mystery of why he drops things is solved

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiUFAXU8_lM

A particularly :psyduck: prebuilt gaming PC.

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqPyokUFNpY

"Move all my poo poo in my house as I cant be assed to pay for movers!"

mewse
May 2, 2006

"We don't want to pay for a u-haul for more than one day" said the millionaire, getting his staff to move his house that he didn't clean

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I like that he has the goal of every staff member being able to buy a house and Jake choosing to live at home and drive an M5.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
He has fancy BMW gloves and drives an automatic 🤮

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://youtu.be/ZtnBr-v2ufs

It looks like most of the thermal issues were due to using a 140mm AIO when the front had ready to use 240mm holes. If dell had used a less shite/cheap asetek it would run up to spec or better.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

I mean, the money seems good and he seems to want his employees to be as well paid as possible. He's said his aim for the company is for everyone who works for him to be able to afford a house.

That said, yeah dude even (especially!) if you think you're a great boss and "more a friend than a boss" just pay for an external HR and encourage your staff to unionise because it's good governance.
It's insanely telling when Linus is proud that Yvonne is a tough negotiator, because it implies that he values her negotiations on his behalf.
A good HR person will carefully balance both workers and the employers, and good employers will value them for this.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

A good HR person will carefully balance both workers and the employers, and good employers will value them for this.

as someone who has sat a lot of meetings as a trade union rep and is studying human resource management, completely, comically incorrect. it is a story hr professionals occasionally like to tell themselves and as such can be exploited, but if they can fire you they're your boss. a HR manager literally in bed with the ownership of the business is not outside my experience or expectation.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

CoolCab posted:

as someone who has sat a lot of meetings as a trade union rep and is studying human resource management, completely, comically incorrect. it is a story hr professionals occasionally like to tell themselves and as such can be exploited, but if they can fire you they're your boss. a HR manager literally in bed with the ownership of the business is not outside my experience or expectation.
Oh, I know it's absolutely common-place, but I was talking about ideals and how it happens to have been been in most places I've worked here in Denmark.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Oh, I know it's absolutely common-place, but I was talking about ideals and how it happens to have been been in most places I've worked here in Denmark.

Well there's your problem: you live in at least a semi-civilized country.

Sometimes I like to take a break from the hot breaking news cycle of tech idiots and relax with some LGR, and I found an older one that is going to haunt my nightmares. No hard drive should ever sound like that. :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tYEbv26AFc

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Warmachine posted:

Well there's your problem: you live in at least a semi-civilized country.

Sometimes I like to take a break from the hot breaking news cycle of tech idiots and relax with some LGR, and I found an older one that is going to haunt my nightmares. No hard drive should ever sound like that. :gonk:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tYEbv26AFc

A colleague purchased one of them new and the disk/fan made horrible noises fresh out of the box since the whole frame/chassis is stupid brittle/fragile. Give it a couple of solid hit unwillingly and it will start screaming like a howling banshee.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
more of a general knowledge question: is USB-C as a connector more expensive than micro-USB, at scale, such that we're still going to be seeing a divide between them in cheap vs. premium parts/components moving forward, or can we expect universal adoption of USB-C, if it hasn't happened already?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Shouldn't usb-c naturally take over due to the higher power delivery available?

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

gradenko_2000 posted:

more of a general knowledge question: is USB-C as a connector more expensive than micro-USB, at scale, such that we're still going to be seeing a divide between them in cheap vs. premium parts/components moving forward, or can we expect universal adoption of USB-C, if it hasn't happened already?

Because it can be plugged in either way, it does take more connections (each side) than previous USB plugs. But at scale, the costs is maybe in the cent or two per for basic cables.

Once it gets into power delivery, especially to meet the new max (which I don't think any cable's exist yet for), that does take more money and quality, but that hasn't ever stopped places from making very cheap cables before, so.

I think we will get to USB-C as a universal connection once Apple switches. Europe slapped them pretty hard over it, and rumor is the next model of phone will be USB-C instead of Lightning.

Cheap and/or knockoff stuff (so anything that has a USB connection for power) I suspect will stay Micro-USB for a while yet, as the stockpile of Micro cables that are laying around has to be substantial. Eventually though I think everything will just be C, unless D, E, F, or whatever they decided to make that is "better" shows up.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Given that Europe mandated usb-c on pretty much every phone produced after 2023, microusb will slowly evaporate from anything but dollar store products as economies of scale will make female C connectors as cheap if not more than micro-usb.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the great answers - love y'all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

SlowBloke posted:

Given that Europe mandated usb-c on pretty much every phone produced after 2023, microusb will slowly evaporate from anything but dollar store products as economies of scale will make female C connectors as cheap if not more than micro-usb.
Are ther any new phones with micro-usb sold now? My Note9 was USB-C, but so was my mom's Redmi 7 or whatever which was anything but high-end a few years back when we got it.

As for the connectors, at a quick glance they seem to cost twice as much as micro. E.g.

25c for Micro B
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/amphenol-cs-fci/10118193-0001LF/2785388

43c for Type-C
https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/gct/USB4105-GF-A/11198441

obviously ymmv with suppliers and quantities but this seems fairly representative. I know companies are cheap bastards but this seems like a no-brainer for anything but disposable knick-knacks.