Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cjs: love too have an hour long meeting over something that could be done by a single sentence comment added to a jira ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

we need to study these people that love to have meetings and see what is going on with their brains.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

sometimes i think i'm going to do this but looking at a 6 hour drive turning into 10 usually restores my senses

My dad and I once took a trip from DFW to Boston via Ashland and Buffalo and managed to avoid interstates for most of the second day, it was super nice.

Main two things I've got going are that these are places and things I either haven't seen in years or at all so the journey itself will be nice, *and* I'm not sure my car can even reach the prevailing speeds on the interstate.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

post hole digger posted:

we need to study these people that love to have meetings and see what is going on with their brains.

they drain the brains of other people via psychic shock and turn them into meeting lovers as well

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shaggar posted:

if its nice out people are at the beach even if they arent swimming.

yeah, no-one really swims in the ocean here without a wet suite, but even the rocky beaches are full on nice days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

dioxazine posted:

they drain the brains of other people via psychic shock and turn them into meeting lovers as well

yep theyre all colin from wwdits

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

road-tripping to camp at a sandy beach next weekend

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

road-tripping to camp at a sandy beach next weekend

oh do i have a tweet for you

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i would really like to take a train trip out to chicago or the northwest sometime just for the ride

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

We now have an extra Monthly Team Meeting because the gooberiest teammate demanded it but it just happened yesterday and she didn't show up until it was almost over lol. Said she didn't get an alert but that's a crock of poo poo she just wasn't paying attention.

We told her we'd already wrapped up so she wanted us to go over everything again but I left the meeting I don't have time for that loving crap

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Roosevelt posted:

i would really like to take a train trip out to chicago or the northwest sometime just for the ride

Chicago is cool for trains. There's a suuuper long Amtrak line that goes from Chicago to DC via West Virginia and it goes along the New River Gorge it's awesome if you've got the endurance for it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Roosevelt posted:

i always yay when i walk through union station in downtown denver and the big rear end California Zephyr amtrak is there. it's so big! i'd like to take a trip on it some day.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it's been years since i fell asleep on a train

there's a NTC loop that takes about two hours to get around the entire city and i do miss it now that people bring up transit

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I've yet to take the Empire Builder train from here to Chicago but it's on the list, supposed to be the most comfortable long-haul line that Amtrak has. Got double-decker cars with viewing windows for when you go through the rockies and skirt along Glacier National Park

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

i always yay when i walk through union station in downtown denver and the big rear end California Zephyr amtrak is there. it's so big! i'd like to take a trip on it some day.

I used to live right by the steel bridge where the train line goes over the Willamette, it was fun to see the Coast Starlight come in from SF. It's always several hours late because of BNSF and you can tell everyone looking out the window is exhausted and *done* lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

post hole digger posted:

something is wrong with them

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Fortaleza posted:

We now have an extra Monthly Team Meeting because the gooberiest teammate demanded it but it just happened yesterday and she didn't show up until it was almost over lol. Said she didn't get an alert but that's a crock of poo poo she just wasn't paying attention.

We told her we'd already wrapped up so she wanted us to go over everything again but I left the meeting I don't have time for that loving crap

skip the next one entirely. if they can't show up to their own waste of time why do you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i trained from NOLA to Champaign IL and it was a long interesting journey. me and my buddies drank all the beer on the train and talked to a guy who ate a bag of mushrooms and brought his own cooler of beer on the train, which he drank all of.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

i trained from NOLA to Champaign IL and it was a long interesting journey. me and my buddies drank all the beer on the train and talked to a guy who ate a bag of mushrooms and brought his own cooler of beer on the train, which he drank all of.

this is a good life

just looked up zephyr trips, looks like i can get out and back for about 1500 bucks with my own room. 36h each way. Thinkin pretty hard about it.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we didn't have a room, i passed out on a table in the cafe car lol

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

looking at pictures of trains rn

i took the shinkansen from kyoto to tokyo one morning with a commuter salaryman who shared his breakfast beers with me. that was great

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

oh do i have a tweet for you

bated breath

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

oh and make sure your train has loving wifi or you have a good data plan

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

breakfast beers

back when i rode the bus (lol) sometimes there'd be a guy doing this. makes u htink

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

if i ever end up traveling again, i'll have to change my data plan to compensate

right now my plan is dirt cheap, but i'm on wifi 95% of the time

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

bated breath

im not only spoilering this link but also breaking it in not one but two spots. if i get banned still, i'll take my whuppins and leave

:nms: :nws: https://twitter.com/constrpt/status/15066 60529 611620355 :nms: :nws:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 19, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
q!=e

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i know what that is

I’m not going to smack you for it given your precautions but i don’t recommend anyone looks at it, ever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

lol i looked with zero context because i hadn't scrolled up to read what they were talking about. that was definitely something.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

lol i looked with zero context because i hadn't scrolled up to read what they were talking about. that was definitely something.

for some reason it’s not letting me scroll, but based on this I’m probably better off being ignorant and thinking they’re flying cool buzz light year kites

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Sleeper car on Amtrak is great because the meals are included and you can byob

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahIxbyvuKQs

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

for some reason it’s not letting me scroll, but based on this I’m probably better off being ignorant and thinking they’re flying cool buzz light year kites

its a lot of sand in a place it shouldn't be.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i got a last minute sleeper car from vienna to geneva once and it was the least comfortable sleep i've ever had. it was a six-bunk car and the bunk was so small i had to bend my knees and lay on my side. i literally did not fit in it laying on my back, and i'm a little taller than average but not unusual. also it was the top bunk and poorly ventilated so it was hot as hell. so, don't get the cheap sleeper car in austria i guess.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm average height for my region, so i fit in everything. even a suitcase

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Once took the old Orient Express line from Istanbul back to Munich and at that point (2007, it only lasted a few years more iirc) it was just a single sleeper car that made the whole journey. Old stock from East Germany, real rickety but was a nice trip anyway.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
CLS: I'm debt free!

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

FlapYoJacks posted:

CLS: I'm debt free!

congratulations! :toot:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs life is too short for meetings

I’ve lost 2.5 hours to them today and I’m not gonna be able to really knuckle down and work on anything until motherfucking 3 pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

how in the gently caress is it 3p already