Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Herstory Begins Now posted:

You're conflating best known with bench mark.

which arpg games have made diablo 3 look tired? isn't it basically a solved genre at this point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

ARPGs like Path of Exile have proven to be better at maintaining a userbase and income stream, but they don't have as much mass market appeal, so...

I guess Destiny and all the other looter shooters are trying to do the same, with varying degrees of success.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sebmojo posted:

which arpg games have made diablo 3 look tired? isn't it basically a solved genre at this point?

I think folks are conflating 'what is the best selling/best known ARPG' with 'what is the best selling/best known ARPG with ARPG fans.'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sebmojo posted:

What do you mean by solved?

As to tired, well Diablo 2 still makes d3 look tired and its seasons have remained active longer than the typical few days that a new d3 season lasts. Wyatt cheng did an impressive job at pulling d3 together into something that fixed a bunch of the crippling flaws it had on launch, but the core gameplay loop is just the campaign (which is skippable now) and then rifts + greater rifts (both proc gen infinitely scaling and using the same tilesets) + bounties (go kill campaign bosses) for materials to fish for slightly better rolled versions of the same items you already have. Each of these feels extremely repetitive after a couple of hours, to say nothing of doing them for dozens of hours and it's why people stick around for d3 seasons for only a few days and most of the ladder is bots after a week. Last time I played it the leaderboards were mostly accounts that were playing 20+ hours a day for weeks straight. The biggest issue with D3s item system is that because the only items anyone uses are unique and set items, there's zero meaningful decisions to be made about what to use. Because the item stuff is so shallow it fails to obfuscate that you're just on the 'get slightly better numbers' treadmill to a really poor extent. Basically even if people wanted to do the gear treadmill in D3 longer, there simply isn't the content there to keep going.

The big question to solve in arpgs is how to actually monetize them and how to sustain interest. The latter being considerably harder than the former. As far as creating item/loot systems (which are different things but also inseparably linked) that people want to dump tons of time into interacting with most of the best and innovative work there is being done in looter shooters. Every major modern arpg or looter shooter blows away where the genre was a decade ago, it's not even close. Lately, even tiny games are showing up with significant depth to item/crafting systems (eg Last Epoch, Slormancer, Chronicon).

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also, like, Diablo 3 and Destiny 2 and Path of Exile and Borderlands and Outriders are all completely different games and different genres thematically and have widely different game mechanics and user interfaces, trying to draw a through line or maintain that they are all simply “loot-based ARPGs” is a foolish endeavor from the ground up, they’re all in the same conversation because the conversation is about loot and loot distribution, not really about whether or not the games are good (they are!)

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

sebmojo posted:

The genre is solved for people who hate arpgs, yeah.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
If Roblox wasn't bad enough in exploiting child labour and promoting gambling to minors they're not also inspiring terrorists

https://twitter.com/BenjaminGoggin/status/1526966284294012929/photo/2

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not the kind of Blizzard lawsuit I was expecting.

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/an-arizona-dad-is-suing-blizzard-over-his-kids-dollar300-hearthstone-bill/

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

If Roblox wasn't bad enough in exploiting child labour and promoting gambling to minors they're not also inspiring terrorists

That really reads like someone trying to pawn off blame. Not that roblox isn't bad and that sort of content isn't not appropriate, but that really reads like "It's the video games' fault!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Potsticker posted:

That really reads like someone trying to pawn off blame. Not that roblox isn't bad and that sort of content isn't not appropriate, but that really reads like "It's the video games' fault!"

Yeah, like, what if, we blamed the parents who allowed him to buy a gun and go kill animals with it as a hobby. That seems like a much better place to start examining where things all fell apart, IMO!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

quote:

Harris' suit alleges that his daughter used his credit and debit cards to spend over $300 on card packs between 2019 and 2021.

Blizzard bad aside, how do you as a parent let this happen? It's not like she spent $300 in one go right under your nose, she did so over the course of three years. Like I get it, lootboxes, etc, but also... just don't give your child your credit card or at least pay attention to the stuff being charged on your account?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Potsticker posted:

I think they're less talking about Roblox as a whole and more the weird fashy 'experiences' they allow to run on their servers unmoderated

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Macaluso posted:

Blizzard bad aside, how do you as a parent let this happen? It's not like she spent $300 in one go right under your nose, she did so over the course of three years. Like I get it, lootboxes, etc, but also... just don't give your child your credit card or at least pay attention to the stuff being charged on your account?

Bust Rodd posted:

Yeah, like, what if, we blamed the parents who allowed him to buy a gun and go kill animals with it as a hobby. her to use their card and buy the card packs. That seems like a much better place to start examining where things all fell apart, IMO!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Yes I saw Bust Rodd's post. I'm not saying it's the parent's fault and not Blizzard's fault but also it is a little bit of the parent's fault.

edit: And I'm talking about the Heartstone thing specifically, Roblox is a whole other mess

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Problem with Roblox is it's lightly moderated and mostly aimed at kids (who don't understand moderation), so all sorts of stuff slips through. I don't know if it made the kid racist but "guns as a problem solver" is a problem across all gaming.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Treating racism like a mental health mind virus that you download from the internet on to your brain like in Snowcrash is really poisoning the discourse, the parents are the problem full stop. If your child spends all day online in fascist Roblox chat rooms and buying the guns from The Turner Diaries then you have have completely failed as their guardian or caregiver. This isn’t a nice, normal, non-racist kid who just became a hateful and violent bigot, he was completely subsumed in digital bigotry for years, uninterrupted.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Rarity posted:

I think they're less talking about Roblox as a whole and more the weird fashy 'experiences' they allow to run on their servers unmoderated

I mean, the kid is directly saying that his actions were due to roblox. And I agree, moderating the content is good and also that parents vetting their kids' experiences with video games and online.

Macaluso posted:

Yes I saw Bust Rodd's post. I'm not saying it's the parent's fault and not Blizzard's fault but also it is a little bit of the parent's fault.

edit: And I'm talking about the Heartstone thing specifically, Roblox is a whole other mess

Yeah, my main point I guess is that there's a lot of blame to go around. The parents are at fault but they have Blizzard/Roblox/Government failing to regulate things/whatever their boogyeman is to avoid blame and Blizzard is at vault, but they're blaming The Parents/Laws/Whatever and so on and so on. There's plenty of places for all the different fingers to point.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

kirbysuperstar posted:

Didn't that come from the first Fate game?

Come to think of it I'm fairly sure both Lost Ark and TOR let you do that too.

In Fate at least you put things in your pet's inventory and sent them back to town for you. So you lost their support while they were gone but could keep dungeoning.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Roblox-involved shooting

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Treating racism like a mental health mind virus that you download from the internet on to your brain like in Snowcrash is really poisoning the discourse, the parents are the problem full stop. If your child spends all day online in fascist Roblox chat rooms and buying the guns from The Turner Diaries then you have have completely failed as their guardian or caregiver. This isn’t a nice, normal, non-racist kid who just became a hateful and violent bigot, he was completely subsumed in digital bigotry for years, uninterrupted.

Yep. The issue here is one of education, because most parents think it's a children's game when in reality it is a platform for user generated content with the absolute bare minimum of moderation.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I feel like it’s a lot of the parents fault here. Like someone said this happened over the course of years so how TF do you not pay enough attention to see it?

Also $300 over that long is barely the cost of a monthly MMO subscription.

Maybe Blizzard should have some built in parental controls for hearth stone but I’d love to know what portion of the HS population are even underage.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

MarcusSA posted:

I feel like it’s a lot of the parents fault here. Like someone said this happened over the course of years so how TF do you not pay enough attention to see it?

Maybe Blizzard should have some built in parental controls for hearth stone but I’d love to know what portion of the HS population are even underage.

There are parental controls, in fact you if you put your age as being under 18 you can't fully create a Battle.net account without also setting up a parental control account.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

So, what you're all saying is this dude is gonna get absolutely roasted in court

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

The biggest issue with D3s item system is that because the only items anyone uses are unique and set items, there's zero meaningful decisions to be made about what to use. Because the item stuff is so shallow it fails to obfuscate that you're just on the 'get slightly better numbers' treadmill to a really poor extent. Basically even if people wanted to do the gear treadmill in D3 longer, there simply isn't the content there to keep going.

The shallowness of Diablo 3's build potential cannot be stressed enough; over 50% of the items listed on this page have no use and less than 5% of them are something you can consciously form a build around. Similarly, almost every Non-Class set is also useless save for the Jewelry Sets (because they're secondary and can mostly be used in tandem with Class Sets) and one Crafted Set that's designed to aid farming. On top of all that, which Legendary Gems are the best and what Flawless Gems were the best were mathed out the day they were added.

99% of Diablo 3 is identifying which of the five Class Sets you want to use for your character. This Class Set dictates what skills you have equipped, in many cases what runes you have equipped to those skills, 6 (or more) of your character's 13 inventory slots, what supporting Sets you have equipped (occupying 2 to 4 additional inventory slots, so now we're in the ballpark of "at least 8 and up to 10" out of 13), and harshly narrowing what Legendary Items are worth your time (or have any impact on your build whatsoever). To illustrate the point, here's the basic outline of a Whirlwind Barbarian:

Out of 37 choices, 30 have been made for you. Your remaining choices are:
  • The Wrist Slot
  • The Helmet Socket (a choice between cooldown reduction and cost reduction, entirely to your preference)
  • The Necklace Socket (dependent on if you want to push Greater Rifts or just farm Normal Rifts for materials)
  • Two Bar Skills (movement skill of choice and buff of choice)
  • One Passive Skill
  • The Jewelry Slot in Kanai's Cube
  • If you're going to use the Jewelry Slot in Kanai's Cube on the Ring of Royal Grandeur so you can replace one piece of your Class Set with a Legendary Item (which will likely result in equipping the Hexing Pants of Mr. Yan since they're the only Legendary Item that will do anything for the build)

As for the remaining 1%, there's the Legacy of Nightmares: a set of two Rings that give you massive bonuses as long as you're not using any other Set effects. LoN allows you to pick and choose whatever build and equipment you want for Real Endgame poo poo, and gets progressively more powerful the rarer and more optimized your Legendary drops get. However, LoN builds are almost universally less effective than Class Set builds because they don't come with the deliberate ability synergies that the Class Sets do and take way, way, WAY more time to get up to speed because the grind is much longer and much more specific in what parts it needs to work.

The worst part about all this is that Diablo 3's build system was nothing short of revolutionary: the Skill Bar and Rune System made buildcrafting significantly more freeform and opened up tons of potential for players being able to tune their gameplay into exactly what they wanted. There was no respec cost and players didn't even have to return to town to fiddle with their options - if they tried a skill and didn't like it, they could swap it out in the middle of a bossfight if they so chose.

And then Class Sets were introduced to flatten everything as much as possible and ruin the system's potential. Genius-tier stuff. :discourse:

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I just made a laser mage and didn't worry about endgame past like t6 :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

MarcusSA posted:

Kids absolutely used to save allowances and part time job money and spend more than a hundred bucks a year on Magic, Pokemon and Yugioh. You can debate the ethics of TCGs marketing to kids all you want but you're gonna have a real hard time convincing anyone that this is out of the norm for spending.

My daughter bought two Boba Teas worth of video game cards a month and I'm hoppin' mad about it!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
People just letting their kids have access to their bank cards/credit cards unsupervised is some absolutely insane suburban middle class insanity the likes of which I cannot comprehend. My mother needed me to make a protracted federal case on behalf of one single minute using it to call in to the Nintendo Power hotline. The idea that you’d just leave your 7 year old with your bank credentials live on Fortnite and they would be free to cosmetics and booster packs or loot boxes to their hearts content just seems absolutely alien to me and my childhood experience and the solution seems INSANELY obvious to me.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For sure, as it stands right now to me, this is entirely in "bad/absent parenting" territory.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Bentai posted:

For sure, as it stands right now to me, this is entirely in "bad/absent parenting" territory.

Well at least they will have it in writing that they are a bad parent lol

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Honestly that kid should be commended for having so much restraint that they only blew $300 over several years despite the parent having apparently absolutely no oversight for the entire time.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I am a parent and a game developer and that kind of situation is absolutely within the parents' power to avoid.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeah that case should absolutely be laughed out of court.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't even see why it's a problem if your kid spent $8.50/mo on a video game. I don't even think it's bad parenting, that's a completely appropriate amount of money to spend. In fact, it really seems like everyone was happy until the lawsuit got filed. The kid got a hobby that lasted 3 years. The dad got away with spending less than $10 a month entertaining a kid. Blizzard got $300.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Bust Rodd posted:

People just letting their kids have access to their bank cards/credit cards unsupervised is some absolutely insane suburban middle class insanity the likes of which I cannot comprehend. My mother needed me to make a protracted federal case on behalf of one single minute using it to call in to the Nintendo Power hotline. The idea that you’d just leave your 7 year old with your bank credentials live on Fortnite and they would be free to cosmetics and booster packs or loot boxes to their hearts content just seems absolutely alien to me and my childhood experience and the solution seems INSANELY obvious to me.

Yea in general I agree, it's an absolutely insane thing for a parent to do.

THAT BEING SAID!

There were two times I got burned by my kids because I was a dumb dumb. My daughter, when she was like...4 or something, was watching Adventure Time on a Kindle Tablet. When she was done with it I grabbed it to put it away and noticed that she bought like 4 seasons of Adventure Time. It was kind of whatever because they were 20 bucks each or whatever and Adventure Time is a pretty great show, but I immediately put parental locks on the Amazon account and Kindle in general.

When my son was...I don't know maybe 6 was getting upset because we were on a pretty long drive to go camping, so I put on a Sonic endless runner and gave it to him. I then started to get a ton of email notifications on my watch and he had somehow spent $600(!!!) dollars on loving Sonic the Hedgehog rings! I immediately grabbed the phone and put parental payment options on. I had to eventually do a chargeback because Sega and Google didn't give a poo poo. When I did the chargeback Google sent me an email saying if I ever did another chargeback again my entire Google account would be deleted, so that was fun.

So yea, in a moment of absent mindedness it can happen but complaining about $300 dollars over a few years is kind of silly, like I spent more on Magic The Gathering in one year when I was a kid.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

$300 over 3 years is slightly more than $0.27 a day.

Honestly I hope Arizona Dad gets told to go gently caress himself

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos
If anybody's been following the Raven QA unionization efforts, we'll be livestreaming our vote count Monday.

https://twitter.com/WeAreGWA/status/1527403982494134272

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Those viral "my kid spent a bunch of money in a video game" stories happen literally all the time. Are you people really so sheltered that you haven't seen it ten times over?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

No one here is surprised.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am a little surprised that the guy is going to court over $300 spent over multiple years tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I'm surprised the sum is only $300 over a few years and the guy got mad enough to sue. Kid actually showed some restraint imo.