Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Craptacular! posted:

The guy who made those went on Reddit once. Some of the sentai footage already had that stuff, like the bolts of lightning when Megazord is upright or Rita throwing her staff into the Earth. Sometimes they added to Sentai footage to make it seem a little more over the top, and of course Zedd was like a tesla coil.

It was all rotoscoped, so it didn't look as obviously artificial as CGI effects now.
Yeah, I've been playing "Spot the Toku FX" while watching S1 MMPR with my kids. Stuff like the power blaster has some effects already, but in the build up you can see some *very* 90s Amiga flashes of color blobs (Trini's daggers especially) that I have to assume are added in by Saban.

Same with some of the tippy warp/color rainbow ingredients effects when they get blasted or disoriented. It's fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

Yeah, though it's transparently a way to get the fixed version of the Red Ranger helmet out to collectors

You can tell because it's not been changed at all size wise, so it looks comically large for her body type

It's probably already sold out anyway being an exclusive. I was still a little tempted.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Been catching up on Dino Fury. I'm happy that the tension between Garcia and Javi WASN'T resolved because Javi decided to make a career of it. I mean, yes, he still immediately said he was gonna try and make a career out of it, but it was still Garcia who approached him first, after finally realizing how happy music made Javi.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
So, there are some seasons, like the OG MMPR, that have the characters be friends before they acquire the spandex.

Other seasons, like Beast Morphers, or Operation Overdrive have the characters be complete strangers to each other.

Then there's the middle ground where there are a few pre-existing relationships (Jack and Z's friendship, Izzy and Javi being step-siblings, Madison and Vida being sisters, etc) but most of the group is strangers to each other.

6th Rangers also throw a unique wrench into things. Sometimes, they're a completely new character hopping in, like Sam in SPD, or Tyzon in Overdrive, sometimes they're a character who's been recurring up to that point, like Cam in Ninja Storm or Nate in Beast Morphers, sometimes they are new to the situation but have an existing connection with one of the Rangers like Aiyon in Dino Fury or Ryan in Lightspeed Rescue.

What would you say has the best writing/dramatic potential? What balance would you strike?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I really liked how Dino Thunder brought kids from different cliques together and the 2017 film followed through on that more seriously.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The rangers should know each other and just have arranged an orgy and about to get to it, when they are teleported and conscripted into being rangers. They continue to attempt orgies but always have to stop a monster right before the first article of clothing can come off. So, Lost Galaxy.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
I actually like seasons where you kinda join in media res and then throughout the season you have flashbacks from before. Like Wild Force. And RPM (sorta). All the Ranger Red, Blue, Green, Yellow episodes were excellent.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Out of curiosity did RPM used to be disliked when it came out? It might might be my favorite season personally.

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Definitely not it was an instant classic right as it was airing. For context the fandom had fallen into a state of apathy under Bruce Kalish, especially with the decreasing episode count and amount of effort going down each season and PR seemingly on the verge of being canceled. Then some 4 minute trailer leaks that gets everyone interested just because it's so different from Go-onger. Then Eddie Guzelian and Dan Ewing give fan interviews before the season even starts where we learn about Eddie getting canned 18 episodes into the season. All that led to great intrigue and once you see the first few episodes for the most part you are hooked (I acknowledge that there is a contingent of RPM critics who say that it's not real PR)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

RPM is really just the absolute best. They cribbed all the best parts of every other season, put them together, and it turned out incredible.

Characters have character
They have backgrounds
It gets serious when it needs to, but also has some of the best comedy bits in the entire series
Familial drama ala Andros
Cool robot poo poo
Eka Darville
Cool cars
Go-Onger suits are very good
Solid villain whose motivations are consistent
the zords are goofy as gently caress but they worked in plot reasons for it to be like that

:kiss:

what is the orchestral music from the end of that trailer? I feel like it's from a JRPG?
e: gently caress, it's metal gear solid lmao

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Mar 29, 2022

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

JesusSinfulHands posted:

Definitely not it was an instant classic right as it was airing. For context the fandom had fallen into a state of apathy under Bruce Kalish, especially with the decreasing episode count and amount of effort going down each season and PR seemingly on the verge of being canceled. Then some 4 minute trailer leaks that gets everyone interested just because it's so different from Go-onger. Then Eddie Guzelian and Dan Ewing give fan interviews before the season even starts where we learn about Eddie getting canned 18 episodes into the season. All that led to great intrigue and once you see the first few episodes for the most part you are hooked (I acknowledge that there is a contingent of RPM critics who say that it's not real PR)

That's funny, I would've expected it to be more like wine where the appreciation increases over time.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Okay so some recent stuff. Rumors are swirling that David Yost is returning next year, but the sources all circle back to the clogged drain that is the Illuminerdi. This doesn't mean it won't happen, but it does mean one of two things is going on

Either they have a legit inside source who gave them the heads up, which isn't impossible! The Illuminerdi exist by taking scraps of the truth and coating them in thick layers of bullshit and lies to drive readership and engagement.

OR

They looked at his loving twitter and saw what he's been on about in the last while

https://twitter.com/David_Yost/status/1512901389076164610

Long and short here- David Yost wants to do an MMPR reunion special, 8 episode mini series that he is writing. And he's pretty serious about this. Now, I'm not sure how good it'd be, we've only seen literal fragments of dialogue from his scripts, but I will say this. Of anyone from the original show, he deserves to have this kind of thing done the most. Would it be good? Maybe not! But he definitely should get it.

Anyways if he IS coming back next year, I bet it'd be in service to this project of his. A kind of I do this, you think about picking this project up kind of deal. But regardless, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to glance at his twitter and realize, oh, he'd be open to coming back, let's do a headline!

Either way they're hacks.

Theyr'e also reporting that the next season is probably going to be Zenkaiger which is deeply funny given their last round of bullshit was how Hasbro CUT TIES with Toei and NOTHING PAST RYUSOULGER would get adapted! Which they themselves stumbled over-

quote:

While we do not know the full extent of the status of Sentai footage or no Sentai footage for the 30th season, we have heard rumors that Zenkaiger could be an option. This would contradict a previous report in which we reported that Ryusoulger would be the cutoff point for Sentai adaptations. However, the season is expected to feature primarily American footage, which does align with that report. The reboot is also still in development, with Season 30 likely being a project to hold Hasbro over, probably due to COVID-related delays.

Pretty much giving the game away that they're bullshit artists, huh?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, Hasbro hasn’t announced anything regarding what their next project after Dino Fury is yet right (or when the second half of Season 2 will drop on Netflix for that matter)?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, Hasbro hasn’t announced anything regarding what their next project after Dino Fury is yet right (or when the second half of Season 2 will drop on Netflix for that matter)?

Yeah

We know what we've known for a while but nothing official has been announced

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s possible we might finish Dino Fury by this summer at the earliest but who knows.

Also even though Power Rangers is officially Netflix exclusive from here on out I’d likely expect the two season structure to stick around since that’s typically how Netflix does things (but then again I don’t think there’s a particular limit to how long a season can be there so we’ll see I guess)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Burkion posted:

Long and short here- David Yost wants to do an MMPR reunion special, 8 episode mini series that he is writing. And he's pretty serious about this. Now, I'm not sure how good it'd be, we've only seen literal fragments of dialogue from his scripts, but I will say this. Of anyone from the original show, he deserves to have this kind of thing done the most. Would it be good? Maybe not! But he definitely should get it.

He's given some talks about his ideas, and from the bits of script he's shown off it seems like a fairly competent take, especially if Yost is the one pushing for it in spite of all the baggage he has a result of the original run

Also placing a bet on Trini being the dead sheriff (Yost confirmed there was something for Trini in his draft)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
A reunion show? I'd be down for that.

A weekend at Trini's?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Sockser posted:

He's given some talks about his ideas, and from the bits of script he's shown off it seems like a fairly competent take, especially if Yost is the one pushing for it in spite of all the baggage he has a result of the original run

Also placing a bet on Trini being the dead sheriff (Yost confirmed there was something for Trini in his draft)

I think she might have been Mayor and Skull is the current mayor, but either or works. She's definitely the one Skull is talking about.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Someone found print ads for Goranger from the 70s when it got some small broadcast in Hawaii.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/1522731238385192960?t=Qjm3TJY1WHiBPsyNffoVOQ&s=19

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, any word on when the rest of Season 2 is coming to Netflix yet (or what Bandai plans to do next)?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I would guess June like last time. Netflix never announced these things until a little before

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/TokuNation/status/1527458100784967685?s=20&t=8s9JIYQHN4chB4eHVVJUNw

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I can hear JDF doing the evil Green Ranger laugh from this side of the planet

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Apparently it was part of an 18 person plan to defraud a cheque company?

I honestly couldn't care less about a cheque company getting defrauded. If it was regular rear end people getting (frauded?) I'd be a bit madder.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Why is it Reds 80% of the time anything bad happens

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Siegkrow posted:

Apparently it was part of an 18 person plan to defraud a cheque company?

I honestly couldn't care less about a cheque company getting defrauded. If it was regular rear end people getting (frauded?) I'd be a bit madder.

Honestly same

But we're still here

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Sockser posted:

Wire Fraud
Sword murder
Suicide

How else is the red ranger cursed?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Sockser posted:

Time Force Blue sex pest story is just right over there, cap'n. (I actually don't have links because afaik it's entirely happening on Twitter and I don't follow anything PR there.)

EDIT: Here's the thing about Time Force Blue.

Content warning: Sexual abuse of minors

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 08:11 on May 20, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Operation Overdrive Black stole money that were going to kids with cancer.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
[errorpost]

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Junpei posted:

He's claiming that isn't what it seemed like or something

Now

Which is a little late to be trying to clear your name but you know

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Dr Tran posted:

Wire Fraud
Sword murder
Suicide

How else is the red ranger cursed?

Which red ranger suicided?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Darth TNT posted:

Which red ranger suicided?

Ninja Storm became an abusive alcoholic and then took himself out. We didn't get to find out until after he was dead what he was like to his family because he manipulated the people around him and kept court records sealed to protect his career.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

Ninja Storm became an abusive alcoholic and then took himself out. We didn't get to find out until after he was dead what he was like to his family because he manipulated the people around him and kept court records sealed to protect his career.

Wow I hadn't even heard of that one.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Junpei posted:

Craptacular! posted:

Time Force Blue sex pest story is just right over there, cap'n. (I actually don't have links because afaik it's entirely happening on Twitter and I don't follow anything PR there.)

EDIT: Here's the thing about Time Force Blue.

Content warning: Sexual abuse of minors

Alright well these are both news to me

That's still 60% reds as far as what's been posted

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s slightly less bad but, Michael Copon and Karan Ashley apparently swindled people out of fanfilm donations on two separate occasions in addition to the former being a sexpest and JDF and Blake Foster are reportedly huge assholes

From what I hear ASJ’s an antivaxxer as well

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:37 on May 20, 2022

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TJ (Turbo/Space) is still cool right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Zedd posted:

TJ (Turbo/Space) is still cool right?

As far as I’m aware, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I don't know about vaccines, but from his appearance on the Catherine Sutherland/Nakia Burrise podcast, ASJ gave me the feeling of one of those well-intentioned people who start exploring non-science based alternative medicine out of an effort to be open minded, or at least that's my read of it barring him trying to sell some sort of quackery product. I grew up in an Aging Hippie city surrounded by white people who thought any scientifically-unproven thing claiming to hail from Buddhist or Taoist origins was some sort of wisdom of the ancients that doctors and laboratories simply haven't understood, so I tend to cut that sort of thing a lot of slack.

It's just weird to see a former paramedic get into that.

EDIT: I should also note that on that podcast it becomes very evident that his issues with Jason Frank are about the walkout, as originally it was planned to include the entire cast and as much production people as they could convince to take part. JDF apparently saw an opening where the show would be almost all about him and his character if he broke solidarity and stuck with management, and convinced Yost and Johnson to stick around to make it plausibly happen.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 20, 2022