Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats why we should evacuate the burbs and build 50 story soulless concrete apartments for everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i've posted this before but i lived in the east german equivalent of a soviet bloc apartment for a month and the place was a loving palace compared to any apartment i could ever hope to afford rent on in canada

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Truman Peyote posted:

cities are great. they're where all the people and stuff are.

small towns and the country are great. nice pace of life, closer to nature.

suburbs are in between and i 100% seriously think that they are at the root of a lot of social rot

burb bad

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Truman Peyote posted:

i've posted this before but i lived in the east german equivalent of a soviet bloc apartment for a month and the place was a loving palace compared to any apartment i could ever hope to afford rent on in canada

yeah those little planned neighborhoods in some of the soviet cities look very livable

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

yeah those little planned neighborhoods in some of the soviet cities look very livable

microdistricts are rad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

The Fool posted:

Cities are cool, and actual wild areas are cool.

there is a whole lot of lovely stuff in between

people loooove the stuff in between. hosed up but true.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I can't stand the city, being around that many people stresses me the hell out

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats why we should evacuate the burbs and build 50 story soulless concrete apartments for everyone

i agree but until there's social infrastructure, im gonna have to raise my kid in a place that:

1. wont try to murder him if he's gay, or trans, or whatever
2. will let my wife get medical care she might need
3. i can buy a house in
4. (this is a big one!!) won't burn us all alive
5. preferable but not necessary: has good public schools and stuff

so that means the suburbs of california. i'd rather live in LA but (3) and (5) don't work. i could move to the sticks and would love it, but then (4). i could move to a non-coastal part of CA, OR, or WA but (1).

once the boy is an adult (1) and (5) wont be issues any more, and (2) likely won't be either as ms jones and i age. then i can start lookin at non-california intersections of (3) and (4) maybe

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i love the city because thats where all the cool stuff and good food is. i also hate it because thats where all the people are. i live in the city anyway because my need for stuff to do is more than my annoyance of tourists asking me how to get to the space needle

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

tourists are fine. they're blocking the sidewalk on my way to the office? whatever, not like i want to be there anyway

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

talking to tourists is a coin flip but i've come out ahead on this

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

cls: ms jones just finished* the kitchen. it looks way better than it used to. when we moved in, it was lit by a big fluorescent light behind that frosty-wavy glass. took that out and oh hey cool that's a skylight. that area's finished now, and the cabinets are all resanded and painted white and all have new hardware. got a new oven.

things to do, none of which are urgent:

* new backsplash (ms jones says it's mint green which sounds ugly, but im colorblind and it just looks off-white so lol idk)
* new counters (ms jones just wants them cause butcher block is cool)
* new sink (ours works but the shape is stupid)
* new microwave, ours is aging pretty hard

we will probably revisit the above once the stucco's been fixed, and we've painted, and we have new gutters, and we've had a landscaper come out and give us the once-over. i'm probably gonna just call a handyman to patch the stucco after the leak i mentioned earlier gets fixed, then we can put off painting as long as we want basically

can't wait to get everything checked off. it's happening though, if slowly i haven't smelled gas or been pissed off/terrified by terrible electrical practices in months! hell, this place is starting to border on safe i think (famous last words)

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my favorite tourist interaction was a one of the space needle askers, i was going to work a few years ago and i worked pretty much right next to it. while waiting at an intersection for a light to change, someone poked me on the shoulder and asked if i could help them find the space needle. i just kept my headphones in and pointed straight up where it was clearly visible a block away. they looked extremely embarrassed lol

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: oh someone mentioned me in the client slack channel where they are panicking about forgetting to have a feature implemented? not clicking that

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

we have a fairly complex multi-use trail system that criss-crosses the city, and connects directly to downtown

every summer I run into tourists on the trail that got lost and are 3-4 miles away from where they expected

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One of my fav tourist interaction moments was when I was on vacation in Buenos Aires and a clearly lost couple came up to me and asked me in brazilian portuguese where some museum was. It was fun because apparently I looked the part to them and my language skills had gotten good enough that I understood what they said, but unfortunately for them I had no clue where it was

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i got the swiffer and cleaned the bathroom floor in my home office today

ngl i miss it when work would clean my posting station for me. that was cool. i make it a policy to clean that bathroom on the clock as an impotent attempt to balance the scales after taking a pay cut for the crime of costing less to employ

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i hope you get it dirty on the clock too if you catch my drift

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

That was 12 years ago and now if a Brazilian asked me a simple question I'd struggle, r.i.p. those skills

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im talking about taking a poo poo while being paid if you didn't catch said drift

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

noo my double shitpost ruined

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

PokeJoe posted:

im talking about taking a poo poo while being paid if you didn't catch said drift

i would get paid at work, but i have a bidet at home, truly the dilemma of our times

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

thats where working from home comes into play. just imagine the possibilities

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the euphemism i like for pooping on company time is "cashing a check"

it is an important part of every work day

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddamn i can't wait to get an outlet and bidet installed in here

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

I can't stand the city, being around that many people stresses me the hell out

This is not a zombie film. But you will probably be among the survivors

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Fortaleza posted:

That was 12 years ago and now if a Brazilian asked me a simple question I'd struggle, r.i.p. those skills

But at some point you were able to speak French and Spanish/Portuguese?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

quarantinethepast posted:

But at some point you were able to speak French and Spanish/Portuguese?

Never been able to speak French beyond tourist phrases but at points in my life I've been called "conversational" for german and portuguese. Like B1 level

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Achmed Jones posted:

goddamn i can't wait to get an outlet and bidet installed in here

Are you gonna electro-shock your butthole

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i just submitted some forms to work remotely for ADA and i'm regretting not including "office doesn't have a bidet"

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Fortaleza posted:

cjs: doing a mandatory training on protecting SAP's Intellectual Property, as if it were a real and worthwhile concept

Love when projects get held up for weeks or months because every party involved has to sign IP protection and Non-disclosure agreements. Your REST api+MySQL+Linux combination is not special in anyway. There is nothing worth stealing. Your entire value as a company is that you have good workers who struggle to make everything work smoothly. Your technology isn’t worth poo poo.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

CPColin posted:

Are you gonna electro-shock your butthole

yes but only for a little cause of the gfi

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

One of my fav tourist interaction moments was when I was on vacation in Buenos Aires and a clearly lost couple came up to me and asked me in brazilian portuguese where some museum was. It was fun because apparently I looked the part to them and my language skills had gotten good enough that I understood what they said, but unfortunately for them I had no clue where it was

one of the things i can get away with whenever i'm in asia is pretending not to speak english and i have to say, it pays off more often than not

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

remember when Chernobyl came out and instead of being like SOVIETS BAD everyone was like THOSE APARTMENTS loving RULE WHAT THE gently caress

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I wouldn’t call what happened in Chernobyl “coming out”

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

akadajet posted:

I wouldn’t call what happened in Chernobyl “coming out”

average US gender reveal party

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pulcinella posted:

Love when projects get held up for weeks or months because every party involved has to sign IP protection and Non-disclosure agreements. Your REST api+MySQL+Linux combination is not special in anyway. There is nothing worth stealing. Your entire value as a company is that you have good workers who struggle to make everything work smoothly. Your technology isn’t worth poo poo.

welcome to yospos enjoy your stay

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Fortaleza posted:

i was in lyon for work and waiting with my coworker for some others near a fountain. i said something to her in english and this trio of asian tourists looked up from their map and ran straight for us. they asked "ENGLISH?" and i replied yes and they shoved a map and book at us and we helped them find out where they were going

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Ed: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PokeJoe posted:

burb bad

i love living rural way more than i ever did in the burbs, gently caress that