Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/JonPgh/status/1527694024978710529

<in the aristocrats voice> the baseball!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Just hit the baseball like 4 mph harder bing bong so simple

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Poque posted:

Fergie statue dedication today. This dude rules.

Please tell me they booed Ricketts.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

What’s the best way to read this? That you have to hit the ball 4mph harder than three seasons ago to achieve the same results? (I assume, then, that would be attributable to improvements or shifting in the defence.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

What’s the best way to read this? That you have to hit the ball 4mph harder than three seasons ago to achieve the same results? (I assume, then, that would be attributable to improvements or shifting in the defence.)
yes, and that's far more attributable to changes in the ball's composition than to dramatic, league-wide improvements in defense over a 3 year span

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wouldn't the gradual increase suggest it wasn't some singular change to the ball? I mean this years numbers seem like a small sample size anyway but a trend rather than a one season dramatic shift seems to suggest something else in play like the shift or maybe just an overall focus on launch angle meaning the power guys put more balls in the air?

I dunno. I am not a baseball scientist.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

DeepDickPizza posted:

Please tell me they booed Ricketts.

Nah it wasn't about him today

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Cubs legend and future MVP Frank Schwindel is happily married to his longtime sweetheart and Suzuki is married to the game, I think that has the entire roster covered for a couple decades for good vibes

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Wouldn't the gradual increase suggest it wasn't some singular change to the ball? I mean this years numbers seem like a small sample size anyway but a trend rather than a one season dramatic shift seems to suggest something else in play like the shift or maybe just an overall focus on launch angle meaning the power guys put more balls in the air?

This would make sense if its the humidor since a bunch of teams had them installed last year and this year all the teams have them.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Poque posted:

Fergie statue dedication today. This dude rules.

Hell yes, love Fergie :canada:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

the ball has been changing every year (and in fact during the years as well, with two distinct balls being identifiable in 2021) according to the most prominent baseball scientist on twitter

Changes in hitting approach would not effect the numbers in that tweet.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 20, 2022

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Poque posted:

Nah it wasn't about him today

Respectable, I suppose, but still disappointing.

maffew buildings posted:

Cubs legend and future MVP Frank Schwindel is happily married to his longtime sweetheart and Suzuki is married to the game, I think that has the entire roster covered for a couple decades for good vibes

Judging by the math, seems like Davies was with his wife since high school before he decided to ghost her out of nowhere, so, uhh...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Davies is a charlatan and your implied besmirching of Frank The Tank Schwindel earned you a spot in h*ck

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

DeepDickPizza posted:

Judging by the math, seems like Davies was with his wife since high school before he decided to ghost her out of nowhere, so, uhh...

Madbum is probably pissed he didn't leave the Right Way - might have to give him the death glare from the bullpen.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

If only he could strand baserunners as efficiently as he stranded his wife

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
Here's your latest update on unvaccinated dipshits:

https://twitter.com/EthanDiamandas/status/1527714222049742848?t=ILPYPvAX9DA7Q7TNfqrt9w&s=19

It's extremely good that Jays home games will be outing people all season.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

leave albert alone he's literally on the reds

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Sterling day for former Cubs, lol.

Imagine a team taking a shot on you despite the fact that you've sucked absolute poo poo for 3+ years now, and you still won't get the loving shot so they don't have to drop you on the restricted list. What an absolute loving dickhead.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

STAC Goat posted:

This would only be true if they made a one-off change to the ball. They have been messing with it every season

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
This seems like settings for a classic Acuña Spite Game, though I’d just be happy for him to come out of it uninjured

https://twitter.com/paige_leckie/status/1527746046167765003?s=21&t=tITbeH5hfxKa5HiMXFcHsA

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
One of the greatest ever baseball writers, Roger Angell, has passed away at the spritely age of 101. A link to a commemoration of him at the New Yorker, where he wrote for 75 (!) years.

Angell on being a fan:
https://twitter.com/rog61/status/1527757398924054531

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

yes, and that's far more attributable to changes in the ball's composition than to dramatic, league-wide improvements in defense over a 3 year span

I am not a physics understander. Why would changes in the ball result in 'needing to achieve greater exit velocity to achieve same result' rather than 'exit velocity on contact is reduced'?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

habeasdorkus posted:

One of the greatest ever baseball writers, Roger Angell, has passed away at the spritely age of 101. A link to a commemoration of him at the New Yorker, where he wrote for 75 (!) years.

Angell on being a fan:

RIP. I wasn’t familiar with him but that’s an all time quote. Good stuff. I’ll definitely dig into more of his writing so thanks for posting that.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

I am not a physics understander. Why would changes in the ball result in 'needing to achieve greater exit velocity to achieve same result' rather than 'exit velocity on contact is reduced'?

If changes in the ball result in more drag it will decelerate faster even if the exit velocity is the same

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kilometers Davis posted:

RIP. I wasn’t familiar with him but that’s an all time quote. Good stuff. I’ll definitely dig into more of his writing so thanks for posting that.

Angell wrote an absolutely phenomenal biography of David Cone titled A Pitcher's Story. I highly recommend it.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Here's him blogging on the 2016 Mets-Giants wildcard game, and the ending lines are wonderful:

Roger Angell posted:

Ian’s first major-league game was on September 9th at Yankee Stadium, where Mark Teixeira, in one of the last at-bats of his distinguished career, hit a grand slam against the Tampa Bay Rays. This will instill in Ian a lifelong sense of joy and optimism—nothing remotely like reality, but another gift from baseball.

He wrote that just after turning turned 96.

e: The New Yorker took some of his pieces out of the archives for the obit.

On Bob GIbson, 1980.
On Steve Blass, 1975

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 20, 2022

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

habeasdorkus posted:

Angell on being a fan:

drat, Effectively Wild is gonna be somber as gently caress.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hand Knit posted:

There are broadly two types of ball changes we've seen in recent years:

1) Changes in the Coefficient of Restitution (COR), i.e. the stiffness or bounciness of the ball. Changes in COR will change how fast the ball leave the bat for a given batspeed and pitch velocity. If COR goes down, you have to swing harder to achieve the same exit velocity.

2) Changes in the drag (through seam height or other surface changes), i.e. how much air resistance slows down the ball during it's flight. If the drag increases, then a ball will travel less far given the same exit velocity.

The data in that tweet suggests a change to #2 here, i.e. you have to produce a higher exit velocity to achieve the same travel distance/outcome.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 21, 2022

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Please
https://twitter.com/JomboyMedia/status/1527764742458298368

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/evanwecksell/status/1527765397956485121

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
1) why are teams wearing camo hats? it's not memorial day yet

2) Apple TV games loving SUCK gently caress you Manfred!!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The broadcast and cameras in general are better quality than any other mlb games so I like them. The pbp still needs to uh, get better.

Thanks for the links y’all. I’ve got some reading to do :)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I feel like the Phillies would be good by accident by now . Like random chance

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Here's him blogging on the 2016 Mets-Giants wildcard game, and the ending lines are wonderful:

He wrote that just after turning turned 96.

e: The New Yorker took some of his pieces out of the archives for the obit.

On Bob GIbson, 1980.
On Steve Blass, 1975

In addition to these, I'd also encourage anyone who likes baseball to check out The Web of the Game if you can. It's a real good read about Ron Darling and Frank Viola going head to head in college. Coincidentally, the anniversary of that game is tomorrow.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Saying Roger Angell is the best baseball writer ever is like calling Herman Melville our greatest chronicler of whaling. He's one of the best writers the English language has produced, full-stop. I doubt a week has gone by since he published this essay that I haven't thought of a line from it.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

https://i.imgur.com/RqxEfrO.mp4

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Traxis posted:

If changes in the ball result in more drag it will decelerate faster even if the exit velocity is the same

ah, okay, that makes sense

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

He's right. Ain't no rule that says a dog can't play baseball!

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

A very good dog

In good news for the Astros,

quote:

May 20: RHP Jake Odorizzi plays catch on flat ground
Odorizzi, who was placed on the 15-day IL after exiting from his start on a stretcher in the 5th inning against the Red Sox on May 16, threw on flat ground on May 20 at Minute Maid Park. It was his first day out of his boot, and his ankle was heavily taped up. He played catch on a flat surface, presumably to give his arms some work.

“A few days ago, I didn’t think there was a chance at this, so we have to be grateful and thankful he is back here,” Astros manager Dusty Baker said. “When I think about it, I feel very appreciative that it wasn’t any worse than this.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Get back to me when that dog can 1) hit a breaking pitch and 2) stay in the batter's box.