Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think the only reason this is even being brought up is because lol :blizz:
*edit*
Here, have a cute Sea of Thieves dog.

Bentai fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Usually those stories are more like $300/hr of spending

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Usually those stories are more like $300/hr of spending

Yeah its just such a lame story which makes it even more funny tbh

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

Those viral "my kid spent a bunch of money in a video game" stories happen literally all the time. Are you people really so sheltered that you haven't seen it ten times over?

Alright, pack it up everybody, No Fun Allowed!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I hope Arizona dad wins and that IAP's become a huge liability for all company's so that they become extinct.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Roblox isn't responsible for White Genocide dipshit murderer, but Roblox's utter lack of effort when it comes to moderation is a serious problem and they should absolutely be legally slapped for it. If you're going to market your game to kids, you should be obligated to put at least some effort into making sure your [kid] userbase is safe from sexual predators and nazis.

The murderer said he was radicalized by a server/game mode(?) called Blood and Iron Roblox, for gently caress's sake. The only way it'd be more on-the-nose was if it was called Blood and Soil. Or, like, "Kill All Jews and Blacks."

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 18:51 on May 20, 2022

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
From what I've seen, the hearthstone thing is less 'Kids spent my money!' and more 'this is garbage designed to get kids to waste as much as possible by not properly advertising how utterly abysmal the drop rate for anything useful or halfway good actually is'.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

King Doom posted:

From what I've seen, the hearthstone thing is less 'Kids spent my money!' and more 'this is garbage designed to get kids to waste as much as possible by not properly advertising how utterly abysmal the drop rate for anything useful or halfway good actually is'.

lmao nobody tell this guy about booster packs of magic cards

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bust Rodd posted:

lmao nobody tell this guy about booster packs of magic cards

They're also bad. Two things can be bad.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

King Doom posted:

It actually reads like He gave his kid an allowance of purchases over a 3 year period and this year she decided she didn't want to play it anymore and now he wants his money back

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

stev posted:

They honestly aren’t worth caring about either way

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Problem with Roblox is it's lightly moderated and mostly aimed at kids (who don't understand moderation), so all sorts of stuff slips through. I don't know if it made the kid racist but "guns as a problem solver" is a problem across all gaming.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1RzBOHbWm9wdlMdzrVazDL

It could happen here mentioned that there's full recreations of the Christchurch shootings to play through in roblox.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Soonmot posted:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1RzBOHbWm9wdlMdzrVazDL

It could happen here mentioned that there's full recreations of the Christchurch shootings to play through in roblox.

jfc

I guess if you wanted more any moderation on Roblox content tell the Republicans they're teaching kids about CRT or something.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Just sounds like more Diablo character building to me.

Remind me how many builds in D2 ended with the character wearing an Enigma (except for Sorc who just wears Chains instead) a Shako, and wore a SoJ and Band for it's rings.

What's that?

All of them?

I mean, sure, you can complain that D3 lacks build diversity for fuckin' lol if you think that's a D3 problem and not a Diablo problem.

stev posted:

Yeah. Like in this story- it's bad business practices on top of awful parenting. One side being in the wrong does not mean the other side can't be in the wrong. It's all shitters all the way down here.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Diablo2 has a convergence of equipment at the high-end with Enigma/Spirit but the other slots had some variety. Sure there was Hoto and CtA, but SoJ wasn't always the best ring, since FCR was valuable for most classes. Additionally while the good enough Amulet was Mara's it wasn't actually BiS, that was a crafted amulet, or a rare +2 class/+3 tree skills amulet. Each class also had a few builds that are hell viable, and this has increased with the most recent patch. There are at least 3 viable builds for a sorc, 4-5 if you consider Energy Shield as an alternative. Necros have the poison/bone tree as well as summoner. Paladin's have Hammerdins, Smiters, Shockadin's, Avenger's and with the newest patch they have even more viable builds such as Holy Fire and Fist of the Heavens. Druids have shapeshifters or windy druids, newest patch makes Armageddon Druid more viable.

Diablo2 really had a lot of good design decisions, whereas Diablo3 is a good game in it's own right, it's wrong to say that Diablo2 had even less variety.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Diablo2 has a convergence of equipment at the high-end with Enigma/Spirit but the other slots had some variety. Sure there was Hoto and CtA, but SoJ wasn't always the best ring, since FCR was valuable for most classes. Additionally while the good enough Amulet was Mara's it wasn't actually BiS, that was a crafted amulet, or a rare +2 class/+3 tree skills amulet. Each class also had a few builds that are hell viable, and this has increased with the most recent patch. There are at least 3 viable builds for a sorc, 4-5 if you consider Energy Shield as an alternative. Necros have the poison/bone tree as well as summoner. Paladin's have Hammerdins, Smiters, Shockadin's, Avenger's and with the newest patch they have even more viable builds such as Holy Fire and Fist of the Heavens. Druids have shapeshifters or windy druids, newest patch makes Armageddon Druid more viable.

Diablo2 really had a lot of good design decisions, whereas Diablo3 is a good game in it's own right, it's wrong to say that Diablo2 had even less variety.

Diablo 3 builds are more diverse than this, the impression that Diablo 3 builds are not diverse comes from the fact that its difficulty levels are uncapped, so there are difficulty levels that will never be seen by more than a few hundred people each season where key non-set items and some item sets will break down. Even at that level, most classes have two or three viable builds, and there are 4 or 5 sets that are viable to GR100, most of which have two or three viable configurations. The season themes also mean that there's regularly builds that jump into viability for a season as a treat. Additionally, there aren't really any individual items that are must-have for every class.

Diablo 3 unambiguously has more build and loot diversity than Diablo 2.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
(If this is boring or played out, ignore it)

I posted about Nintendo's moral hazard around supporting their backlog, and their failures to good-faith emulate games like Zelda. Is there a better thread to post that? I assume emulator chat is prob'd as :files: normally but this is literally legal emulation being half-assed by the rights holder, who inarguably did it better for their DS & 3DS ports

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Nobody has been probated for emulator chat in like 20 years but there's general emulation threads in Retro Games

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Analytic Engine posted:

I posted about Nintendo's moral hazard around supporting their backlog, and their failures to good-faith emulate games like Zelda. Is there a better thread to post that? I assume emulator chat is prob'd as :files: normally but this is literally legal emulation being half-assed by the rights holder, who inarguably did it better for their DS & 3DS ports

I would say it's probably more on topic than the Diablo build chat we seem to be veering towards.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lazy Robot posted:

If anybody's been following the Raven QA unionization efforts, we'll be livestreaming our vote count Monday.

https://twitter.com/WeAreGWA/status/1527403982494134272

Fingers crossed and thumbs held.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Samovar posted:

Fingers crossed and thumbs held.

Games (and all software, but especially Games) need to be forcefully unionized against the wishes of all idiot manchildren. I would drop $10k in an instant to make that happen

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Diablo 2's problem wasn't loot itself, it was when they lumped in the high quality runewords in.. 1.10? Something like Spirit is dirt cheap, and may as well be endgame material compared to grinding rare drops forever. I could understand runewords being a nice stopgap before the really good stuff, but at some point they went overboard and/or forgot to scale the actual loot. Enigma is another issue I have, being decently easy to get the runes for, while providing more utility than any other item in the game. Why even have a torso slot for items, when Enigma is readily available and so good, to the point of defining every build? Just give every character a teleport at level ~75 if the game assumes you have an Enigma by that point.

And even then, D3 still has the worst itemisation with its ridiculous 10.000% damage boost set items.

E:

I guess this is getting off topic, mea culpa.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 09:05 on May 21, 2022

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Games supports the cool crime of stealing

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Metis of the Hallways posted:

I would say it's probably more on topic than the Diablo build chat we seem to be veering towards.

And much more interesting!

Seriously, there's a lot that fits under the umbrella of games industry dysfunction and news, but I would like to avoid getting into nitty-gritty discussions of game balance. There are a lot of other places on the forum for that.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Andrast posted:

Games supports the cool crime of stealing

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Analytic Engine posted:

Companies letting their old titles languish under old hardware or administrative dark magic is a tragedy. There's so much work, so much art that people wouldn't have access to without emulators, that most would gladly have paid for to experience through curated channels. I lost my Amiga 500 ages ago (cousin forgot it wasn't his, gave it away), and without emulators, I wouldn't have been able to rekindle ancient memories that I now hold very dear. We need to experience where games came from, to really appreciate where we're going, uh, for the most part.

Ross Scott's Dead Game News covers a lot of modern titles becoming needlessly lost due to negligence or greed, and he does a good job trying to explain the bridge between nascent late 80s-90s game design sensibilities and modern stuff.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

Diablo 3 builds are more diverse than this, the impression that Diablo 3 builds are not diverse comes from the fact that its difficulty levels are uncapped, so there are difficulty levels that will never be seen by more than a few hundred people each season where key non-set items and some item sets will break down. Even at that level, most classes have two or three viable builds, and there are 4 or 5 sets that are viable to GR100, most of which have two or three viable configurations. The season themes also mean that there's regularly builds that jump into viability for a season as a treat. Additionally, there aren't really any individual items that are must-have for every class.

Diablo 3 unambiguously has more build and loot diversity than Diablo 2.

As someone who played and enjoyed D3 for years, the fact that all D3 progression is purely 'numbers go up' both in terms of challenge (greater rift #) and gear (find the same piece but with better numbers/one stat different) makes builds that perform at 80% of optimal build feel a LOT worse than in PoE, where there is enough abstraction, impenetrable nonsense and variety in Stuff To Do at endgame to sufficiently suspend your disbelief that you did not in fact pick a trash build for clowns, in my experience (you did though). Unless they updated D3 endgame significantly since the Necromancer, which was about when I bowed out.

In D2 the fact is, most people who are nostalgic for it never really played much endgame, or they were super hardcore and would be at the top of greater rifts in D3 or making mirrors on mirrors/pushing boss kills in PoE. Personally I'm the former, never farmed a thing in my life and usually fizzled out on the game on Nightmare during LAN sessions as a kid/teen

E: Sorry I had this tab open for an hour before posting because this thread is usually pretty slow and didn't see that we are Off Derailing now lol

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 21, 2022

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

"derailing" is just responding to 2+ posts ago. It was a sin when we were 14 but's no prob for busy (& goony) adults

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
arpg nerds basically think all their games are wildly different, and actually the one that doesn't suffer from One Superior Build For Each Starting Class. and then they'll do poo poo like go "actually you can play diablo 2 and clear act 1 with LITERALLY any build or class in the game, yet in diablo 3 i can only do the absolute end game greater rift 95 in time with ONE build? checkmate diablo 3 defenders!" it's all just lots of unfair, hyper specific comparisons to make one game look good and the other bad.

they'll do this poo poo with poe too since that's The Only Successful ARPG and will probably actively deny that the game has the same problem of hyper end game being a very tiny handful of farming builds, and a very tiny handful of boss killing builds. im sure someone will refute this with a million exceptions for some dps check boss this or survivability check boss that

it's okay for someone to spend 300 hours on diablo 3 and feel like they ran out of stuff to play, especially when the game has not gotten new bosses or endgame content for like 10 years. i think i have 200 hours played in poe across a few seasons and saw like, 95% of the game minus some hyper end game maps and bosses and felt satisfied, yet there are tons of people who easily put that much into every single season that drops for the game. it is not some critical failing or lack of insight from diablo 3 devs for the game not getting updates since its first and only expansion came out.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Minera posted:

arpg nerds basically think all their games are wildly different, and actually the one that doesn't suffer from One Superior Build For Each Starting Class. and then they'll do poo poo like go "actually you can play diablo 2 and clear act 1 with LITERALLY any build or class in the game, yet in diablo 3 i can only do the absolute end game greater rift 95 in time with ONE build? checkmate diablo 3 defenders!" it's all just lots of unfair, hyper specific comparisons to make one game look good and the other bad.

they'll do this poo poo with poe too since that's The Only Successful ARPG and will probably actively deny that the game has the same problem of hyper end game being a very tiny handful of farming builds, and a very tiny handful of boss killing builds. im sure someone will refute this with a million exceptions for some dps check boss this or survivability check boss that

it's okay for someone to spend 300 hours on diablo 3 and feel like they ran out of stuff to play, especially when the game has not gotten new bosses or endgame content for like 10 years. i think i have 200 hours played in poe across a few seasons and saw like, 95% of the game minus some hyper end game maps and bosses and felt satisfied, yet there are tons of people who easily put that much into every single season that drops for the game. it is not some critical failing or lack of insight from diablo 3 devs for the game not getting updates since its first and only expansion came out.

I mean just because it's psychological rather than material (or well, digital I guess) doesn't make it Fake and Not Real. Greater Rifts and gems just being 'make number go up infinitely' had a material impact on my motivation to keep playing D3 games; I enjoyed RoS a lot more before they implemented them. For me it damaged that abstraction that most games but especially ARPGs have to implement to feel less like pointless busywork grind, to an extent no other ARPG I've played have done, not just PoE but also games like Grim Dawn, D2, Torchlight, etc.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Insurrectionist posted:

I mean just because it's psychological rather than material (or well, digital I guess) doesn't make it Fake and Not Real. Greater Rifts and gems just being 'make number go up infinitely' had a material impact on my motivation to keep playing D3 games; I enjoyed RoS a lot more before they implemented them. For me it damaged that abstraction that most games but especially ARPGs have to implement to feel less like pointless busywork grind, to an extent no other ARPG I've played have done, not just PoE but also games like Grim Dawn, D2, Torchlight, etc.

i mean, sure, ok. i get bored of poe around the same point, where i'm trying to just grind levels on skill gems (literally the same god drat thing people criticizing diablo 3 for!!!!!!!) or fish for map drops or currency drops to keep buying more maps to do. every arpg suffers from this, they are the most Skinner Box game genre in existence, and the only question is at what point peoples abstraction of the skinner box collapses.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Minera posted:

i mean, sure, ok. i get bored of poe around the same point, where i'm trying to just grind levels on skill gems (literally the same god drat thing people criticizing diablo 3 for!!!!!!!) or fish for map drops or currency drops to keep buying more maps to do. every arpg suffers from this, they are the most Skinner Box game genre in existence, and the only question is at what point peoples abstraction of the skinner box collapses.

To me the difference is that it all ends in PoE and the other games. The max level is 100 although I never get there lol. The max gem level is 20 (or 21, but not through leveling) and that is actually easily achieveable for someone like me. There are actual endgame bosses that are the strongest in the game, although with the new ones they introduced recently I probably won't beat them. But you could. You can never 'finish' greater rifts, or gems, or the like. And that is something that my brain apparently hates.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

If Diablo 3 had gone all in on the MMO-esque expansion/update cycle that they dipped their toes into with RoS I'd probably never have stopped playing it. Just give me an expanding story, new maps and tougher bosses on an endless treadmill and they have me for life.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

If From Software had monetized Armored Core or Souls games I would have been an in-debt whale. That poo poo is predatory for all levels of nerd, and probably rakes in the most on "smart" people like Doctors and Lawyers

I tried making Use Map Settings Starcraft maps like my homeschooled friend, but the API was so bad I shunted to making RPG Maker 2000 "demos"

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

stev posted:

If Diablo 3 had gone all in on the MMO-esque expansion/update cycle that they dipped their toes into with RoS I'd probably never have stopped playing it. Just give me an expanding story, new maps and tougher bosses on an endless treadmill and they have me for life.

yeah. RoS sales numbers were good and they easily could have done more paid expansions or moved to PoE style mtx poo poo and probably have kept going at a huge profit forever, and instead chose to... ?????????? with that team instead (leading to most of the arpg devs leaving to work at competitors or found their own studios)

actually speaking of which, have any of the big name blizzard devs actually launched any successful projects since leaving blizzard?

there's that bonfire studios or whatever that had an embarassingly stupid website that featured all their hiking day trips and dice collections and no actual product, since I assume some random investor was willing to pay to keep famous blizzard developers on retainer. curious how many of those studios silently crumbled since the exodus.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The way they just stopped supporting D3 a little while into RoS was kinda weird, especially since they DID start adding DLC/microtransaction stuff to SC2 which launched a full 2 years prior and kept development running for longer. I loved playing SC2 but it ruined my mouse wrist so I had to stop.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Minera posted:

actually speaking of which, have any of the big name blizzard devs actually launched any successful projects since leaving blizzard?

I feel like the biggest success, even if it later burned down, was probably Runic Games (the Torchlight people)? The party didn't last forever but that game had a solid launch and apparently the collapse of Runic led to Double Damage Games, who did Rebel Galaxy.

This feels like the longest chain of b-tier success I can think of from the offshoots.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

http://www.bonfirestudios.com/fireside

this poo poo has existed for almost 6 years with no game to show for it lol

who the gently caress is paying for this?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Minera posted:

Jesus, their twitter has been dark for over a year now and this was the last thing of note on it

https://twitter.com/bonfirestudios/status/1392956036214972418

How depressing that this seems to be their biggest impact on the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Minera posted:

Wikipedia says Riot Games so I guess an infinite money hose