Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Craptacular! posted:

It's just weird to see a former paramedic get into that.

Covid has shown that there's a shitload of antivax nurses :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
JDF stays winning by merely being an rear end in a top hat. Hiyaah.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

MorningMoon posted:

JDF stays winning by merely being an rear end in a top hat. Hiyaah.

He also provided every Saban puff piece surrounding the 2017 movie with nice quotes about what a genius the guy is, and once slammed the Disney production as out of touch compared to daddy Haim. Even though Disney brought Tommy back to the property and let him do half the season voice-acted from America. JDF knows everything he's got comes from letting this guy get ungodly rich and screw everyone else.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off camera JDF has pretty much always been a self serving rear end in a top hat, yeah

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

JESUS DIDN'T TAP

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He also got good press from that time a fan tried to assassinate him and he delivered a very calm and reasoned press conference in a dapper suit

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Larryb posted:

JDF... reportedly huge rear end in a top hat
Aw, dang. I'd only ever heard good things about him aside from being a profoundly weird dude.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

Aw, dang. I'd only ever heard good things about him aside from being a profoundly weird dude.

Reportedly he was one of the crewmembers that gave David Yost poo poo over the latter’s sexuality and he’s a bit of an egotist that let the fame he got from appearing on a children’s superhero show go to his head to the point where he helped start his own vanity project:

https://en.everybodywiki.com/Legend_of_the_White_Dragon

As mentioned a few posts above he was apparently a huge shill for Haim Saban as well

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Larryb posted:

Reportedly he was one of the crewmembers that gave David Yost poo poo over the latter’s sexuality and he’s a bit of an egotist that let the fame he got from appearing on a children’s superhero show go to his head to the point where he helped start his own vanity project:

https://en.everybodywiki.com/Legend_of_the_White_Dragon

As mentioned a few posts above he was apparently a huge shill for Haim Saban as well
The world is full of reflexive defense of entirely lovely things by people who just want to keep liking thing/person, so I hope announcing that I know that, as well as telling you I'm autistic, will allay that anxiety as I ask the following: do these things rise to the level of us writing the guy off?

Amy Jo Johnson used her Power Rangers fame to crowdfund a flick and people seemed to think it was just fine. And being a bootlick for the person who gave you your big break in show business and made you financially is cringe and eye-roll inducing, but it isn't really all that uncommon, though yeah, in this case, Saban being such a poo poo makes it pretty teeth-sucking, but I don't know if I'd cancel the guy over it.

The homophobia on the other hand? Yikes. Is there a source on that I can break my own heart with and then get on with my life having discovered another childhood hero hates me?

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
David Yost has always maintained that the rest of the cast never gave him poo poo over his sexuality, and that it was from producers. Then this guy, one of the producers and Monster Of The Day voices, decided to give TMZ a soundbyte telling David to grow up and get over it ("it" being many years praying away the gay and considering suicide). That Pagter died last year and there was hardly a murmur from the community (compared to Bob Axelrod's death which spread like wildfire) should tell you how little sympathy that move got.

JDF did some occasionally revolting poo poo in the name of "just pranks bro", but the general read is that he did that poo poo to everyone and Yost personally does not take offense at it so it's hard to get upset on his behalf.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 20, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Craptacular! posted:

David Yost has always maintained that the rest of the cast never gave him poo poo over his sexuality, and that it was from producers. Then this guy, one of the producers and Monster Of The Day voices, decided to give TMZ a soundbyte telling David to grow up and get over it. That Pagter died last year and there was hardly a murmur from the community (compared to Bob Axelrod's death which spread like wildfire) should tell you how little sympathy that move got.

JDF did some occasionally revolting poo poo in the name of "just pranks bro", but the general read is that he did that poo poo to everyone and Yost personally does not take offense at it so it's hard to get upset on his behalf.

Ah ok, I thought I heard somewhere that JDF was part of the harassment as well (he is kind of a hardcore Christian from what I understand) but if not then nevermind all that

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Larryb posted:

Ah ok, I thought I heard somewhere that JDF was part of the harassment as well (he is kind of a hardcore Christian from what I understand) but if not then nevermind all that

People overanalyzed a very short behind-the-scenes home video where JDF is flipping the bird and Yost seems to be giving him a murder-glare, which is probably where you heard that. After David revealed what he was going through, fandom started scrutinizing every blooper reel and on set handicam.

Edit:
A bit more came out of the ASJ story. He has a small company name he uses for dealing with his online merch shop, convention bookings, social media handler(s), etc. He took out an SBA loan in it's name and they're accusing him of not using the money properly. I know some "small business owners" personally who have told me they saw the program similarly ("you're offering a 50 year loan without interest? Yeah, sure, why not", "you should incorporate a business so you can get a government loan on ridiculously generous terms") so time will tell if this is just the start of a bunch of poo poo or if they nailed a few dozen guys and grabbed a headline to make a point.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 20, 2022

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Larryb posted:

(he is kind of a hardcore Christian from what I understand)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Jesus didn't fap?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I certainly don't like that about him, that's for sure.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It's been over a decade and the phrase "Jesus didn't tap"still cracks me up.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jesus was friend of prostitutes, of course he didn't fap.

The truth of the matter is, JDF is only notable because of his persona. He apparently did pranks back in the day, but he was also the second youngest cast member when hired- I think he was 17 or 18?

He was a dumb teenager. The fact that David Yost has never said anything against him and has willingly done stuff with him since, to any degree, should speak volumes to how involved he was in Yost's horrific treatment.

Legend of the White Dragon also isn't even JDF's project. He's the main actor and the draw for it, but that belongs to the Bat in the Sun people. They're the ones who are producing it, directing it, writing it.

JDF gets a lot of poo poo because he's the most popular Ranger with normies so we have to hear about him/his character a lot as fans. People misquote and misattirbute things he's actually done wrong, when the reality seems to be that he's a pretty decent martial artist, a Christian, and File Missing Here on the rest because he keeps pretty fiercely private when it comes to anything political.

What I can say is that he endorsed using masks from the jump during COVID times and has never used his platform for shitbird reasons. He's also, apparently, universally polite and nice at signings and greetings, regardless of how well he gets along with other cast members. If nothing else he's smart enough to know how to play the game, if he does have poo poo headed beliefs. ASJ, sadly, I can't say the exact same for. ASJ is very much on the right wing of things, which isn't necessarily bad, but there's some warning signs.

The biggest is that a year or so back he put up some Margaret Thatcher Apologia on his twitter, which is some massive yikes. He's also said a few things that could be taken...poorly.

This whole stuff with ASJ might really well blow over and he could have nothing to do with it. That's what the courts in theory are for.

We'll have to wait and see.

But yeah the JDF bashing gets old when we have actual legit problematic actors that skate by or get forgotten. Dude can be annoying, but there's nothing uniquely terrible about him.

Now having said that, let the covid denying, wife beating, pet murdering stuff about JDF come to light

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Sockser posted:

Covid has shown that there's a shitload of antivax nurses :(

In much more recent-type stuff, Chrysti Ane (Ninja Steel Pink) was reposting some antivax nurses a while back on Instagram. She also doesn't seem to care about conventions which is not a sin but a little odd, I guess?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Considering there are five+ new rangers every year, it'd be a bigger shock of some of them didn't turn out to be shits.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Dawgstar posted:

In much more recent-type stuff, Chrysti Ane (Ninja Steel Pink) was reposting some antivax nurses a while back on Instagram. She also doesn't seem to care about conventions which is not a sin but a little odd, I guess?

I think she's at a place currently as a model where conventions are not worth the time compared to Instagram social media sponsorship stuff, and has a really busy schedule. Plus there is probably less to gain in conventions for the newer actors.

Non Compos Mentis
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
I'm glad David Yost is doing good, the blue ranger was always my favourite

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks for clearing up the JDF stuff. I remember the behind the scenes video and wrote it off as "annoying teen poo poo" until the internet rumors started.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I'm probably oversimplifying, but JDF keeps coming back to his only famous part in various capacities in a kids show about people in shiny spandex. This includes dumb poo poo like dressing up as Drakon for battle of the grid. And he keeps being asked back. If anything, that tells me he has a humble/good side to him. There's far too many people who think they've outgrown old kids stuff they did when they were young.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I just assume anyone with any small amount of fame is a piece of poo poo unless proven otherwise.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Invalid Validation posted:

I just assume anyone with any small amount of fame is a piece of poo poo unless proven otherwise.

At least Amy Jo Johnson and Johnny Bosch still seem like cool people as far as I’m aware. Catherine Sutherland too though I’m convinced that woman literally does not age.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I think she's at a place currently as a model where conventions are not worth the time compared to Instagram social media sponsorship stuff, and has a really busy schedule. Plus there is probably less to gain in conventions for the newer actors.

Oh, sure. It was 100% percent the bit about her retweeting antivax nurses, not about going to conventions.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

Now having said that, let the covid denying, wife beating, pet murdering stuff about JDF come to light

I will give JDF this much credit: He came in on the first day and was told not to get too comfortable because his character dies in something like eight episodes. And he was so good at the live action martial arts stunt show stuff that the producers considered crucial to the show, that I would say he is equally as responsible for "getting over" to use the wrestling carny term as the writers were for making the green ranger deliver single-man beatdowns to the entire team for a week's worth of episodes. And from everything I've heard he's good to his fans and does a lot of things for nice causes.

Now then, questionable stuff? Mostly it's being dramatic.

He's an attention hound that doesn't shut up, trying to start fights with people like Jean-Claude Van Damme and CM Punk to try to raise his profile from being an out of work power ranger.
Chris K Lee from In Space pointed to JDF being responsible for later casts being subject to tougher policies on costumes and props, because he was stealing enough stuff from the set to cause a rule change.
He tried to coax PR into bringing on his daughter as a ranger since she was 14, which reminds me of Will Smith's ill-fated attempts to make his children celebrities. Latest scuttlebutt is he's upset at Hasbro for "not knowing what the brand is about" or some poo poo like that, I know in public he has bemoaned that people told him there would be a toy of his latest morpher and none has been made.
His making GBS threads on DinoThunder caused Doug Sloan to post online that it was like being attacked by somebody he thought of as a friend.
He's also occasionally mouthed off a bit more than he should and looked like a tool for it, such as that time when he whined that Rick Medina killing someone with a sword was going to bring negative attention to the PR brand.

The whole JDF/ASJ thing is a bunch of macho posturing from both guys as they do things to tweak each other which isn't really worth covering. JDF has apparently gotten over the issue, but when he wasn't over it they were mostly stupid boasts he claims ASJ said when they were eighteen year old nobodies about "killing guys in the ring" and being a cagefighter in Saudi Arabia. I remember he also once challenged ASJ to fight his wife in some rage when ASJ was filmed at a convention telling a woman that long hair in a real life brawl is a liability. ASJ claims to have gotten some script tweaks designed to piss off JDF (Forever Red's "you didn't think I'd let you do this without the original" being one of them) and mostly calls JDF a toxic individual and an egomaniac. Obviously both guys are petty about this to varying degrees, so I don't really factor it.

My biggest problem with the guy is If the rumors are true, and he acts and talks as though they are, then he holds a good amount of responsibility for why these actors got poo poo then and will continue to get poo poo now. JDF is the Hulk Hogan of Power Rangers, not just for popularity but because Hogan is well-known around his industry for having informed WWF of Jesse Ventura's attempt to unionize the roster, which was promptly squashed and why today wrestlers are still basically beat senseless and tossed aside. And JDF's history of comments regarding PR, Saban, and how the former can't survive without the latter fits the profile of someone trying to be the boss's favorite underling. Anyway, to me personally a lot of this stuff above means more than an actor liking an antivaxer's Instagram post or whatever. It's small poo poo, but it affects a thing I like and put mental energy into whereas I know that gleaming an actor's political leanings is mostly a thing from the era of social media, and likely some actors of my youth were Reaganites but I never knew because in the 90s when AOL charged by the minute we weren't forever online and constantly chasing clout. I get that almost 100% of total shitstains are voting for MAGA bullshit, but also so are lots of other people, so while I think most conservative BS is dumb I'm not one of those people who shuns and severs on sight, or at least my threshold is higher.

Now it's possible ASJ spent spent $250K of government money outside of the terms of the program. His lawyer says the blame lies elsewhere. It would suck to see him sentenced to prison, but at the same time because I'm not a politically neutral entity I do gotta admit it's pretty wild that the FBI rolls up on a guy (TMZ claims they raided his house with assault rifles drawn) for breaking specific details of a loan that he was going to have to eventually pay back, while at the same time billionaires and their giant conglomerates are paying nothing in taxes and keeping the gains and are praised and encouraged for it.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 18:23 on May 21, 2022

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Craptacular! posted:

Now it's possible ASJ spent spent $250K of government money outside of the terms of the program. His lawyer says the blame lies elsewhere. It would suck to see him sentenced to prison, but at the same time because I'm not a politically neutral entity I do gotta admit it's pretty wild that the FBI rolls up on a guy (TMZ claims they raided his house with assault rifles drawn) for breaking specific details of a loan that he was going to have to eventually pay back, while at the same time billionaires and their giant conglomerates are paying nothing in taxes and keeping the gains and are praised and encouraged for it.

The JDF stuff I think we largely agree on.

And yeah, I do think this recent stuff with ASJ is largely bullshit. But that's the government at work for you.

What says everything is that Ricardo, Cole's actor, got three years in prison for manslaughter, while ASJ could get up to 20 years for fraud. The Ricardo stuff has a lot more nuance to it and those three years alone are already more bullshit than you might think, but I think it says a lot about what holds more weight, as far as where interests lie.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Darth TNT posted:

I'm probably oversimplifying, but JDF keeps coming back to his only famous part in various capacities in a kids show about people in shiny spandex. This includes dumb poo poo like dressing up as Drakon for battle of the grid. And he keeps being asked back. If anything, that tells me he has a humble/good side to him. There's far too many people who think they've outgrown old kids stuff they did when they were young.
For real. People always shat on Jaleel White for being Urkel and that dude never, ever, ever has to work another day in his life or do anything he doesn't want to do. He's covered. Why would I ever feel like he's a failure for extracting a ton of money out of an industry designed not to share it just because he didn't become Brad Pitt?

Plus JDF runs a karate dojo. That's his real job. Every time he does Power Rangers poo poo it's free advertising for his business. Those MMA fights? Same poo poo. He's not playing the game we think he's playing. He's leveraging the success he had in one field to excel in another.

Add in what you said about how he doesn't think himself above or too good for the people who made him successful and the only teeth-sucking I can muster for the guy is the Christian stuff.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

What is this about wild force red swording a person??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

What is this about wild force red swording a person??

I forget some of the details but apparently he killed his roommate in self defense

As for JDF, the dude’s got an ego on him but otherwise I take back most of what I said. There are certainly worse people that have been on Power Rangers (like how Michal Copon is a sexpest and reportedly a child molester).

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I maintain that sex pest is a name rapists *want* to be called.

It makes what they do seem almost cute.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LividLiquid posted:

I maintain that sex pest is a name rapists *want* to be called.

It makes what they do seem almost cute.

Good point, either way the dude is human garbage from what I’ve heard

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Jdf could save me from a burning building and I still would find Tommy boring as poo poo.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Burkion posted:

What says everything is that Ricardo, Cole's actor, got three years in prison for manslaughter, while ASJ could get up to 20 years for fraud. The Ricardo stuff has a lot more nuance to it and those three years alone are already more bullshit than you might think, but I think it says a lot about what holds more weight, as far as where interests lie.

It's not much of an excuse from a humanitarian standpoint, but the manslaughter case is a state law and he was sentenced to state prison. Not only are state prisons usually much worse facilities than federal prisons most of the time, but in California especially they're overcrowded. A relative of mine was once a guard at a place you've probably heard of, and they're packing people in to live in rooms that used to be rec rooms and facilities. Also, he was sentenced for six years, he spent three before parole.

Anyhoo, the federal government added fraud in the 1950s with a 5 year maximum sentence, which was blown up to 20 after the savings & loan scandal of the 80s, with an extra 10 years for taking advantage of disaster relief added in 2007-08 which puts it right after Hurricane Katrina (it appears they aren't going for these, even though PPA could be considered a disaster relief program). So yeah, this fell atop multiple events wherein something happened and Congress went "we must enact punitive measures to deter this from happening ever again" which is often how the very worst pieces of legislation hit the floor.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 21, 2022

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Is this anything?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Fraudasaurus

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

MechaX posted:

Fraudasaurus

But said like in the pilot morph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYEzh4PEsTw

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ricky Medina's roommate was doing drugs and they got in an argument about rent (I think cause he hadn't paid rent but had bought drugs so Medina was upset about that) that escalated into a fight, that escalated into Medina being actually in danger, that ended when he stabbed the roommate, which resulted in his death. So it was self defense but not justified lethal self defense, because the state believes Medina could have de-escalated before it got to that point, or possibly threw the first shove. By pleading guilt to it he accepted that responsibility so he got a lesser sentence.

I think that's the basics of the story.

So definitely nowhere near murder, and there was no malice, it was just something real sad between a couple of middle aged men that got out of hand and one of them died. I don't think Medina is necessarily a bad person, he seemed legitimately sorry and in grief about it.

The responsibility lays on him and him only, though one has to imagine if he had been able to do the shows he was in as union, or been paid a fair wage, or if California had a housing market not built on predation of renters, he wouldn't have been in the situation.

I used to joke about it up to a few years ago but I really regret it, none of it is funny.

And while ASJ is a poo poo and him defrauding the government is definitely funny, the likelihood of him being thrown into a brutal prison system most definitely is not funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Meanwhile, the comics are introducing the first non-binary Ranger, Death Ranger. (Their entire alien race is non-binary and uses "they/them".)