Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The Best Breakfast Potato Dish
Hash Browns
Home Fries
Skillet Potatoes or some other regional dish that no one has really heard of
View Results

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
It's time we decided this once and for all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
they're pretty much the same

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I prefer hash browns. More crispy bits.

E: and I mean shredded, not the preformed frozen ones. Those are better for a breakfast sandwich/burrito though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Put me on team home fries. I got a better track record of not getting an undercooked dump when I order them in diners.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
At the end of the day, all potatoes are beautiful.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The real question should be diced hash browns vs shredded hash browns.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Frozen fries have never tasted good to me but I honestly get cravings for frozen hash browns every now and then.

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

"I didn't fight a secret war in Nicaragua so you can walk these streets of freedom bad mouthing lady America, in your damn mirrored su
Am I crazy to think that the further north you travel, the more home fries displace hash browns? Like up in Canada, is it all just home fries (or breakfast potatoes or whatever they call them)? Or is it the opposite, like down in the bayous of Louisiana they've never seen a hash brown and know it only from rumors?

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Home fries are easier to eat than hash browns, which sometimes you get the perfect clump of hash browns on the fork only for it to fall apart as you raise the fork to your mouth. Rinse and repeat.

Plus, I just like home fries better.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
As someone with the palate of a toddler, I do not like onions. Hash Browns have a slightly lesser chance of being loaded with them (though not a guarantee).

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Vakal posted:

The real question should be diced hash browns vs shredded hash browns.

Diced hash browns are just home fries :wtc:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
spanish omelette

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

STABASS posted:

they're pretty much the same

:frogout:

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Potato cake

or

Potatocake

Or

who loving cares

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I love potato in all its forms. Potato Gems (tater tots or whatever), hash browns, wedges, fries, jacket potato, just love me some potato.

But I usually prefer fries because they're better vehicles for loaded toppings.

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
I buy potatoes and just let them get all hosed up and grow vines

then i throw them in the bin

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd say home fries, but they're both good

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.
Lots of places in the Pacific Northwest list hash browns as home fries on their menu and it’s INFURIATING.

It’s time for my medication thanks for listening

Non Krampus Mentis
Oct 17, 2011

Scrungus Bungus from the planet Grongous

OMFG FURRY posted:

spanish omelette

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't consider these to be real hash browns but they're good for a quick breakfast.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't consider these to be real hash browns but they're good for a quick breakfast.

Reshaped breakfast tots.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's hash browns close the thread

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

grellgraxer posted:

Am I crazy to think that the further north you travel, the more home fries displace hash browns? Like up in Canada, is it all just home fries (or breakfast potatoes or whatever they call them)? Or is it the opposite, like down in the bayous of Louisiana they've never seen a hash brown and know it only from rumors?

i had to look up what home fries were because here we eat them almost exclusively ime but call every form of breakfast potato "hash brown" no matter what style it is lol. rarely see the shredded potato

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

The correct Waffle House order:

Size: Triple
Options: Smothered, Diced, Peppered

grellgraxer
Nov 28, 2002

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i had to look up what home fries were because here we eat them almost exclusively ime but call every form of breakfast potato "hash brown" no matter what style it is lol. rarely see the shredded potato

Wherever it is you live needs to be liberated. I've long feared such a place existed.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

restaurant: browns

home: fries

Billy Ray Blowjob
Nov 30, 2011

by Pragmatica
Fart on this food

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I've not tried it because it's something I just recently learned you can do, but if you ask for your Waffle House hasbrowns "scattered well" they spread em out in the grill more and you get a better crisp ratio.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I usuly go smothered, covered, chunked and occasionally peppered.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Homefries is a crap shoot.

Sometimes it's more onions and peppers than potatoes. I didn't want peppers! I ordered potatoes!

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Big Beef City posted:

It's hash browns close the thread

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'd order what Goku orders.

Also, no goku option, voted 1

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The Bloop posted:

Homefries is a crap shoot.

Sometimes it's more onions and peppers than potatoes. I didn't want peppers! I ordered potatoes!

That's potatoes O'Brien, jeez

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Frozen crinkle cut fries. Microwaved to soggy and floppy perfection between two halves of a damp paper towel. Served unsalted with a slice of American cheese on top. Lightly melted.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
I feel like homestyle is consistently better but you do occasionally come across really good shredded, maybe they're easier to screw up, not sure.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Lots of places in the Pacific Northwest list hash browns as home fries on their menu and it’s INFURIATING.

It’s time for my medication thanks for listening
Grew up in the PNW and I legit don't think I've ever heard the term home fries. Usually it's just hashbrowns and you'll see in the description "homestyle" or cubed/diced if it's the kind you call home fries, and if it just says hashbrown with no modifiers it's the shredded kind. There's probably a picture if you get real confused.

Mellow_
Sep 13, 2010

:frog:

grellgraxer posted:

This is definitely true.

What nearly everyone I know here in Canada considers to be hashbrowns are definitely not hashbrowns.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Homefries > shredded hash browns

Unless you get the shredded stuff in a single layer so it's all crisp, then that is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

diced hash browns are the best, shredded hash browns second, then hash browns in patty form a distant 3rd