Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Hand Knit posted:

Ah, err, uhh…

?

I’m commenting on the fact that some of the commentary I’ve seen on twitter is that Donaldson was justified in saying what he said. He screwed up and needs to actually apologize for being a racist rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Carlosologist posted:

Yeah, Donaldson hosed up big time here. No editorializing or anything, call a spade a loving spade

The spade a spade phrase has apparently racist origins as well

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Not likely, no.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

The idiom originates in the classical Greek of Plutarch's Apophthegmata Laconica, and was introduced into the English language in 1542 in Nicolas Udall's translation of the Apophthegmes, where Erasmus had seemingly replaced Plutarch's images of "trough" and "fig" with the more familiar "spade". It has appeared in many literary and popular works, including those of Oscar Wilde, Charles Dickens, Ralph Waldo Emerson, W. Somerset Maugham, and Jonathan Swift.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

One of my favorite things about this fight is that there are Ventura truthers who think he won

Eldoop
Jul 29, 2012

Cheeky? Us?
Why, I never!
"Calling a spade a spade" started off totally innocuous but has acquired unfortunate implications over time: https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

Not really outright racist but a bit too close for comfort for a lot of people.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Dumbest loving poster in SAS continues streak, color me shocked.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

camoseven posted:

Oscar Wilde, Charles Dickens, Ralph Waldo Emerson, W. Somerset Maugham, and Jonathan Swift.

all white guys!!!

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

:chloe:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Liberatore was solid tonight. Not what most of us probably hoped for near the time they pulled him but I’m happy with his outing.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:56 on May 22, 2022

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I for one hope Donaldson gets beaten with a spade during tomorrow’s game

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
lol did Anderson really say he's a latter day Jackie Robinson

does he actually know who Jackie Robinson was

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Folks, he's good

https://twitter.com/TalkinBaseball_/status/1528183860504272896

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

bewbies posted:

lol did Anderson really say he's a latter day Jackie Robinson

does he actually know who Jackie Robinson was

Tim Anderson always seemed to me like a bit of a dbag. Comparing yourself to Jackie Robinson is dumb and I also remember an interview with him where he was going on and on about how he hates baseball and how boring it is.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
N: the red sox did good today

V: i was at the game and it was a very nice afternoon at fenway

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Nice!

barnold posted:

N: the red sox did good today

V: i was at the game and it was a very nice afternoon at fenway

:cool: I really gotta get to a game soon. Been a while since I’ve headed to Jackie Robinson ballpark. Last time I was there it was still the Daytona Cubs.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Donaldson is really embracing the Evil Empire schtick. Fuckin a. Like no matter how astoundingly stupid Anderson was, just *come on* dude.

To think I used to like that guy and was sad when he got traded.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Arms skinnier than my grandma's is a look alright
It really is fascinating how back in the day it was considered common wisdom in pretty much all professional sports that all strength training could possibly do was damage your fundamental/technical ability.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

rickiep00h posted:

Donaldson is really embracing the Evil Empire schtick. Fuckin a. Like no matter how astoundingly stupid Anderson was, just *come on* dude.

To think I used to like that guy and was sad when he got traded.

It's extremely fitting that he's on the Yankees.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I delight in how Brett Phillips has a part in everything these days.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Crazy Ted posted:

It really is fascinating how back in the day it was considered common wisdom in pretty much all professional sports that all strength training could possibly do was damage your fundamental/technical ability.

It's also entirely possible they were right. It's not like sports science was a thing. There's a decent chance someone would tell them to do 100 reps or lift the heaviest thing with the worst form imaginable.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Probably the most difficult thing and why it wasn't so popular is lifting in season. You're playing 162 games, basically every day. You're already putting your body through a ton of stress and constant injury, finding the energy and more importantly the time to recover is difficult, I honestly don't know how pro players manage it. I suspect it's mostly a maintenance program in season and then the off season is when you really push for gains.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is the RF secretly Rutschman's BFF or something

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Popete posted:

Probably the most difficult thing and why it wasn't so popular is lifting in season. You're playing 162 games, basically every day. You're already putting your body through a ton of stress and constant injury, finding the energy and more importantly the time to recover is difficult, I honestly don't know how pro players manage it. I suspect it's mostly a maintenance program in season and then the off season is when you really push for gains.

And that's to my understanding how most leagues work now. Baseball is probably the toughest with the schedule and shortest off-season, too. Football has built in lifting schedules to optimize around recovering for game time but it's just maintenance.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
I do not look forward to the group of dumbass yankees fans that are going to inevitably chant “jackie” at tim anderson today

this whole situation is gross and josh donaldson should apologize, which he well never do, because he’s josh donaldson

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
Donaldson already apologized lol.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

Patrick Spens posted:

I mean actually own up to it, not “lol sorry you were offended”

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Patrick Spens posted:

Donaldson literally said on a podcast that he wants the opposing team to hate him. He has like a Brad Marchand mentality and was clearly being a wise rear end. I watched the video and he did apologize though. He was trying to get under Anderson's skin, not be racist.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

mcmagic posted:

He was trying to get under Anderson's skin, not be racist.

Lol come on man, intent doesn't mean poo poo.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I think regardless of intention calling a black dude a different black dude as a joke is kinda racist

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

I think regardless of intention calling a black dude a different black dude as a joke is kinda racist

It's not simple as that because Anderson does deserve to be made fun of for comparing himself to Jackie Robinson.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

it actually is not at all in this case

if you don't want to be made fun of probably don't unironically compare yourself to the most important person to ever play a team sport

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MJBuddy posted:

It's also entirely possible they were right. It's not like sports science was a thing. There's a decent chance someone would tell them to do 100 reps or lift the heaviest thing with the worst form imaginable.

The WWE training facility is famous for getting people to do the stupidest strength training possible and exploding knees faster than the screwball blows up your UCL.

Inspector_666 posted:

I delight in how Brett Phillips has a part in everything these days.

He nailed a guy at the plate from right field the other day and the announcers were just like “bullshit he has a 50MPH fastball, I want to see him uncork one” and I agree.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Gorman Thomas posted:

Lol come on man, intent doesn't mean poo poo.

Intent matters a lot actually.

Donaldson calling Anderson "Jackie" because they are both black ballplayers = hosed up and racist.

Donaldson calling Anderson "Jackie" because Tim Anderson called himself the next Jackie Robinson = fine actually.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

A thing can be racist without intending to be. It would have been fine to just... not say anything to him.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
also, things can be not racist even when Tony la russa says they are

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I think the article where the Jackie Robinson quote comes from is worth a read: https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/04/30/tim-anderson-white-sox-speaks-out

basically it's in the context of baseball's respectability politics being drawn along racial lines, and how few black baseball players there are in the game after all this time. perhaps a clumsy way of grappling with Robinson's legacy, but Josh Donaldson is pretty much the last person in the world who should mouth off about it

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Patrick Spens posted:

Intent matters a lot actually.

Donaldson calling Anderson "Jackie" because they are both black ballplayers = hosed up and racist.

Donaldson calling Anderson "Jackie" because Tim Anderson called himself the next Jackie Robinson = fine actually.

Tim Anderson's Jackie comment wasn't a comparison of skill. It was comment on how even 70 years after integration he, as a black athlete, feels like an outsider in major league culture. Really surprised that this thread is being so blasé about Donaldson's comment.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I am shocked that people didn't read the article before doubling down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

It's OK, he was being a racist to get under his skin so it's cool.