Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

hbag posted:

im nonbinary and make 9/11 jokes idfk stop making me explain poo poo drat

the next 9/11 will be done by and for the gays

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, i certainly would have, but my father would have been a pretty terrible boss.

also most of yospos is pretty coddled, to a point where it is not much of an insult.

hbag like s dad though

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i mean, i certainly would have, but my father would have been a pretty terrible boss.

also most of yospos is pretty coddled, to a point where it is not much of an insult.

yeah its' weird to hear folks talking about how they were able to take programming classes and poo poo in loving high school, where there's not even working computers for half the country lol

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
nah theres working computers, phones are computers

working computers where you can code instead of consuming...

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

we had optiplex gx260s, so "working" was a point in time statement

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wasnt there a big thing several years back where a lot of people were doing cloud based dev environments? like it was a web based text editor, version control, deploy, and execute, so you didnt have to have a local dev environment etc? i dont write the codes so i'm not aware if those ever took off or if people just went back to vscode or w/e and local execution

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jonny 290 posted:

wasnt there a big thing several years back where a lot of people were doing cloud based dev environments? like it was a web based text editor, version control, deploy, and execute, so you didnt have to have a local dev environment etc? i dont write the codes so i'm not aware if those ever took off or if people just went back to vscode or w/e and local execution

yeah, github has codespaces which is this. i don't think it's really taken off though.

there was a separate, earlier attempt by a game developer (ratchet and clank's devs, maybe?) to build an entire web-based game development environment that their employees hated

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

PokeJoe posted:

hbag like s dad though

Mods, please make an hbag > poochie filter

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonny 290 posted:

we have office 365 and for a while that included azure notebooks, which was a hosted juypter notebook system and it was great for workshops

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ive been doin a lot of janitorial work today. updated my windows vm, installed all the software for my kenwood ht, and now i'm upgrading unraid.

i had a meatball sandwich for lunch. i put in _two_ slices of provolone and extra meatballs. it was good.

didn't go to the nature preserve today - i still don't have hiking boots and i told little jones we couldn't go on the trail i scouted last time until we had hiking boots. it'd be fine for me to go again, but i don't wanna go back on my word. and the other interesting trails are way the gently caress back in the canyon and i'm not lookin for a 10 mile hike today

tomorrow we'll probably go, though, and probably do the same stuff we did last time. it'll be rad.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
Along with hiking boots I would recommend a retractable walking stick, to help with steep inclines. And a water bladder maybe too.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

update: now we're playing with an rc car in the driveway. holy poo poo these things are fun

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

rc cars must be great now with current battery tech

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah they go stupid fast and have great runtime. not like when we were kids with those cursed nicad packs that ran for like 8 minutes

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah they go stupid fast and have great runtime. not like when we were kids with those cursed nicad packs that ran for like 8 minutes

and heavy, i assume a lot of power was lost lugging all that nickel around

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

That one RC car we had when I was a kid that could flip over and keep driving because of the tires being bigger than the rig was phenomenal

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

this thing runs off of 5 AAs (and 2 in the transmitter lol)

it's rad, my folks sent hm 3 RC cars like a year ago when we were still in san jose and had absolutely nowhere to play with em. he did a good job with some school stuff so i pulled one from the closet and gave it to him. my dad and i have good memories of playing with rc cars together so it's pretty cool

i might have to bust out one of the other two, though, so we can race and stuff. this rules

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Video Nasty posted:

That one RC car we had when I was a kid that could flip over and keep driving because of the tires being bigger than the rig was phenomenal

little jones had one of these that was small enough he could play with it inside. it was the fuckin best (until it stopped working)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i had a friend when i was a kid who had a big awesome rc monster truck. i think i remember that thing needed like 12 AAs.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/wwwtxt/status/1527809967046025216

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

Jonny 290 posted:

all amazon devs have an ec2 c4.4x that is their main dev env that’s pre connected to all the systems. it’s honestly sick af and saved lots of bandwidth when working remote since brazil loves to redownload dependence’s

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah, they're still popular with some kinds of devs.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
every tech major does a hella lotta remote dev cuz they gotta also be real tetchy about code making it out of the secure repos and they gotta be more serious about bad inside dev actors. so not just amazon

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

rc cars must be great now with current battery tech

the high end is obscene.

my slow/small car is a frankenstein job from banggood parts that'll do 70mph+. the big/fast one is an arrma that I've had up to 121mph before it went airborne.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reminded me to pick up a fresh set of batteries for my dji mini. they're a couple years old and one's failed. so i dont trust the others and thats not a scenario where you wanna assume a battery is good

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

reminded me to pick up a fresh set of batteries for my dji mini. they're a couple years old and one's failed. so i dont trust the others and thats not a scenario where you wanna assume a battery is good

I lost my mini to a lake because the meter said I have 5 minutes of flight time and then it just dropped out of the sky

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

every tech major does a hella lotta remote dev cuz they gotta also be real tetchy about code making it out of the secure repos and they gotta be more serious about bad inside dev actors. so not just amazon

ya google does it too. i’m fine with it though i’m sure some other people wouldn’t be

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
quality number choices in the thread title btw

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

born on a buy you posted:

quality number choices in the thread title btw

lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hahahaha

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

Also supporting dev environments on macs for apple enthusiasts is hell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its actually fine and its far worse to support the people that insist on windows 10 dells and powershell bullshit

dev ran fine at fastly where 100% of devs were on macs and we had like 4 windows laptops in a company of 1000 people and all of those were excel accounting types

seeing a lot more friction in newjob where its a 50/50 split. imagine being a software engineer and voluntarily picking a dell latitude with windows 11 i just cannot

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If your dev environments aren’t set up in a docker container you are doing dev wrong.

1) get docker and docker-compose up and running
2) run docker-compose build and docker-compose up -d
3) Start coding.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
agree but big companies are slow anyway so yea they'll just do things wrong another decade

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Huh, going to look into that, would probably simplify my mess of cross-os configurations

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

FlapYoJacks posted:

If your dev environments aren’t set up in a docker container you are doing dev wrong.

1) get docker and docker-compose up and running
2) run docker-compose build and docker-compose up -d
3) Start coding.

this is one of those "every developer just glues rest apis together so there is no other possible dev needs than nodejs and a text editor" posts isn't it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I dev on an hp with windows and wsl and it's fine

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Fool posted:

I dev on an hp with windows and wsl and it's fine

its not

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

actually it is