Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
2 slurps 1 ape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
here lies bayc 2162. he never slurped

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
pacino's got one crime joint left in him, and it's Slurpico (2023)

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

for sale: bored ape, never slurped

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

lmao

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"what do ya think about this one mistah maaayooor!?"

*leaves slurp juice at city hall doorstep*

*eric adams picks it up and drinks*

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

haveblue posted:

I got trolled by a lion at the DC zoo once

I was walking near the big cat area when I heard a weird sound. the lion was standing up on a hill and roaring. everyone nearby was drawn over to see if it was going to do anything cool

the lion stops roaring, looks around at the huge expectant crowd gathered around it, sits down, and starts licking his nuts

Last time I was at sea world one walrus was jerking off while another kept ramming into his side over and over

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Luigi Thirty posted:

Last time I was at sea world one walrus was jerking off while another kept ramming into his side over and over
dudes rock

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
walrus can jerk off?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

yeah how do they do it with flippers

asking for a friend

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i punched it into youtube and found this, :nws: if you work for PRUDES who can't appreciate NATURE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ros73m7xBRA

he was essin his own dee!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Huh.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Shame Boy posted:

yeah how do they do it with flippers

asking for a friend

life, uh, finds a way.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

the size of that howitzer hachi machi

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Truman Peyote posted:

what a depressing sentence. this is like the opposite of "cellar door"

what

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

divabot posted:

they reinvented the Pirate Pass Through

:right:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

quote:

Day and Kellar got along well. They shared an absurdist, extremely online sense of humor, and as a finance expert with a writerly bent and a creative coder, respectively, they had complementary skills. “I’m very much the wordcel to Dillon’s shape rotator,” says Day, who’s 33.

ugh gently caress off

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Hammerite posted:

ugh gently caress off

I'll take it over "writerino" and "heckin photoshop guy"

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

J.R.R.Tolkien posted:

Most English-speaking people ... will admit that cellar door is 'beautiful', especially if dissociated from its sense (and from its spelling). More beautiful than, say, sky, and far more beautiful than beautiful. Well then, in Welsh for me cellar doors are extraordinarily frequent, and moving to the higher dimension, the words in which there is pleasure in the contemplation of the association of form and sense are abundant.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

well yeah, bitcoin can't fix a tire, but it can power the bike itself once we create the machine to turn bitcoin back in to useable energy

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
who need a bike when by investing in bitcoin you can turn your car into your home

don't ask where the old home went

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

surprised REI isn't saying "you can use the dollar you saved from not having to pay pesky union fees to fix your flat tire."

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

:bigwhat:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

don't kinkshame

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
https://twitter.com/y4kxyz/status/1524893128444067841?s=21

Where the ape women at?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boxturret posted:

well yeah, bitcoin can't fix a tire, but it can power the bike itself once we create the machine to turn bitcoin back in to useable energy

bitscoin is an infinite store of energy of course, since you have to consume energy to mine it, and then consume energy to spend it. Don't ask how to get the energy back out of a bitscoin.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

you get the energy out when you trade Bitcoin for useless fiat.

the Bitcoin you traded away, as we all know, gets destroyed in the conversion process, satisfying the first law of thermodynamics

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

orange juche posted:

bitscoin is an infinite store of energy of course, since you have to consume energy to mine it, and then consume energy to spend it. Don't ask how to get the energy back out of a bitscoin.

generators hooked up to stationary bicycles in a labour camp for bitcoin owners

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
it's digital energy, duh

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/thingskatedid/status/1528192021533294592

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Things are going well.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

https://blog.stablegains.com/were-discontinuing-the-stablegains-service-please-withdraw-your-remaining-funds-405e6bfb89c4

quote:

Now, as it becomes apparent that UST is not what we all had hoped it would be, our app no longer provides users with the value it had over the past year. As such, we are asking all of our customers to take their remaining funds out as soon as possible, before we close down our current service and look to the future.

We are deeply sorry and devastated to be writing this to you. We will continue to do our absolute best to process all withdrawals until at least the end of June — assuming it is technologically possible — and will remain available to answer support queries from all users.

This is my favorite line.

quote:

Please note, this has been an unprecedented event

No. It has been utterly precedented.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shame Boy posted:

Things are going well.

From their website

quote:

What is the borrower experience like in Anchor?

To borrow from Anchor, you must provide collateral first. Currently, there are several digital assets that you can use, including the Ethereum and Luna cryptocurrencies. All loans are overcollateralized, and you can borrow only up to 60% of the value of your collateral.

Let’s look at an example. Suppose you provide $10,000 worth of Ether as collateral. This means you can borrow up to $6,000 (in UST). However, if Ether’s price then drops, your loan is worth more than 60% of your collateral and it gets liquidated — collateral is taken and sold to cover deposits. This is a key safeguard for lender’s deposits, avoiding the risk of someone not returning their loan.

Because of that liquidation risk, the average loan today is only taken at about 30% of the collateral value — so in our example with $10k worth of collateral, you might be borrowing $3k in UST.

Anchor really shines when calculating borrower interest rates. If there is not enough borrowing to cover the targeted 19.5% depositor APY, the interest rates drop to incentivize more borrowing. If the amount of borrowing rises and the protocol is running out of UST to lend out, loans get more expensive. As a result, the protocol automatically achieves equilibrium between lending and borrowing. And if for a short period of time there isn’t enough borrowing to pay depositors, Anchor also has almost $70 million worth of UST in reserves to get through tougher periods.

OK but isn’t 15–20% interest still a bit high? Would anyone take a loan with such a high interest rate?

You’re totally right; no one is taking loans at 19.5% and the actual borrower interest rate is much cheaper. This is because of Anchor’s special trick, which we haven’t talked about yet.

You see, the assets that are allowed as loan collateral (Ethereum, Luna) can all be staked. Staking is the process of earning rewards by securing a blockchain. Click here to read a more detailed intro to staking.

Staking allows you to earn ~6% to ~12% on your assets. But if you provide them as collateral in Anchor, it is Anchor that stakes and captures these rewards for the duration of the loan, and then uses the proceeds from selling these rewards to make borrowing cheaper.

Coming back to our earlier example, if you borrowed $3k, the protocol and depositors are not only earning the rather low interest you pay on the $3k loan, but importantly the staking rewards on top of your $10k worth of provided collateral.

This allows the protocol to be sustainable, at least short- to mid-term. Long-term, the target interest rate for depositors may have to be changed or turned into a variable rate — but because staking rewards will continue to subsidize interest rates, we expect the yields to remain extremely competitive into the long term.

Why should I give you my money?

Because we pay good interest that we get from investing (in Anchor).

Where does the money to pay the 15-20% Interest come from?

It comes from the people who are borrowing UST

But why would they be borrowing when they have to pay those high rates?

Because they get paid for borrowing, DUH! That's Anchor's "special trick" you moron! imbecile!

Mar 2, Stablegains and the magic of Terra/Luna

Some weeks later:

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 22, 2022

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol friend just sent me this

being placed next to the collectable poop stickers is very appropriate

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

those weird sticker machines still exist:eyepop:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

endless wife's friend calls:

friend: you were RIGHT!

wife: of course i was! about what?

friend (very melodramatically): i lost EVERYTHING

wife: what?

friend: MIAMICOIN is WORTHLESS! i lost my 30 DOLLARS!

wife: told you

(friend followed wife's advice not to gamble more than she's willing to lose - or, as she put it - how much do you spend on pizza)

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/jp_koning/status/1528014347699617794

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

:airquote: safer stablecoins :airquote: