Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think the Jets belong on the same tier as the Dolphins and Steelers and above the Texans and Jags. Maybe they don't have to make the playoffs but they have to be in the hunt in December. They can't just go something like 6-11 and call out some amount of incremental progress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean like you said, if the Jets look like a real football team and Wilson looks like he could be a league average QB jets fans will be pretty stoked.

If the Dolphins miss the playoffs they're gonna out Panther the Panthers trying to address their QB situation.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Does everyone have amnesia?

The Jets belong at the bottom tier with the Jags until their QB demonstrates he's not the giant bust he looked like and their coaching staff isn't clueless on game day.

Having pundits give your draft an A doesn't actually make your team better.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah the Jets had an intriguing draft and already had some neat pieces but they are definitely behind Miami and Pittsburgh, even if you take the QBs out of the equation entirely.

I'd listen to a case that they're miscast by being lumped in with Houston and Jacksonville, but so long as they're among the betting favorites for worst QB play in the league, I'd keep them there.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

You’re right that until they prove it there’s no reason for anyone except Jets fans to give them the benefit of the doubt. Same goes for Dolphins ever winning a playoff game or the Bills ever winning a Super Bowl.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Does everyone have amnesia?

The Jets belong at the bottom tier with the Jags until their QB demonstrates he's not the giant bust he looked like and their coaching staff isn't clueless on game day.

Having pundits give your draft an A doesn't actually make your team better.

If the QB doesn't take a step forward from last season then the 2022 Jets will be a disaster and no one here has said otherwise.

fsif posted:

Yeah the Jets had an intriguing draft and already had some neat pieces but they are definitely behind Miami and Pittsburgh, even if you take the QBs out of the equation entirely.

I'd listen to a case that they're miscast by being lumped in with Houston and Jacksonville, but so long as they're among the betting favorites for worst QB play in the league, I'd keep them there.

I think at the very least you're massively overrating the Steelers and Dolphins. These aren't locks to be good teams by any stretch of the imagination. It's very likely that the Jets get better QB play than both of them as well.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 22, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

It's very likely that the Jets get better QB play than both of them as well.

lol what

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's insane to think that Wilson is going to be better than Tua, Bridgewater, Trubisky or Pickett? He better loving be or the Jets will be drafting a QB in 2023.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

mcmagic posted:

It's insane to think that Wilson is going to be better than Tua, Bridgewater, Trubisky or Pickett? He better loving be or the Jets will be drafting a QB in 2023.

I mean if you just take Tua out this is a perfectly reasonable statement, but I do appreciate your burning hatred for him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

is pepsi ok posted:

I mean if you just take Tua out this is a perfectly reasonable statement, but I do appreciate your burning hatred for him.

I have nothing against him personally. He just doesn't have the skillset of a starting QB in the NFL.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If Wilson plays at a Bridgewater level this year that would be incredible development

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The Steelers made the postseason last year with Dead Ben as their QB. They have elite talent all over the field.

Removing QBs from the picture, the Dolphins still have a more talented roster than the Jets. And if Wilson plays as well as Tua did last year, it'd probably be a bigger leap than Allen made between years one and two.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It’s that time of the year eh mcmagic

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

fsif posted:

The Steelers made the postseason last year with Dead Ben as their QB. They have elite talent all over the field.

Removing QBs from the picture, the Dolphins still have a more talented roster than the Jets. And if Wilson plays as well as Tua did last year, it'd probably be a bigger leap than Allen made between years one and two.

I wouldn't see 2600 yards and 16 TDs as a huge leap for Wilson at all. I also think you're overrating the Steelers. That is a very middling roster.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 22, 2022

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

mcmagic posted:

I have nothing against him personally. He just doesn't have the skillset of a starting QB in the NFL.

He has the all the ones you'll be praying Zach Wilson displays, oddly enough.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

TheBizzness posted:

He has the all the ones you'll be praying Zach Wilson displays, oddly enough.

I wouldn't even say that TBH. He's more accurate than Wilson was in yr 1 but his placement of his throws is not exceptional and I don't think he sees the field at a special level either.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

I wouldn't see 2600 yards and 16 TDs as a huge leap for Wilson at all. I also think you're overrating the Steelers. That is a very middling roster.

Quoting stats from 12 games does mislead, it's true.

If Wilson has a season worth of stats equal to Tua's equivalent, it will be a huge step forward. But, yeah, a mediocre season, by any real metric.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Where the gently caress are the bama fans

Get em

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Quoting stats from 12 games does mislead, it's true.

If Wilson has a season worth of stats equal to Tua's equivalent, it will be a huge step forward. But, yeah, a mediocre season, by any real metric.

It's funny how the Dolphin fans here feel much better about Tua's season last year now than they did during it. The team clearly tried to upgrade at QB (as they should have) and they needed to give him multiple votes of confidence to even make people think he was going to start the season at QB in 2022. This idea that he played well enough last season to show that he's a long term answer for any team at QB is pretty dumb. If Wilson plays in 2022 like Tua did in 2021, the Jets will most likely be looking for a new QB.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 22, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Tua is a perfectly respectable starting QB, the issue is whether he can ever be above average, or the reason they win a playoff game.

Wilson is the polar opposite, sky high ceiling that I think we can safely say Tua doesn't have, but could also be what he was last year: bloody awful.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Tua is a perfectly respectable starting QB, the issue is whether he can ever be above average, or the reason they win a playoff game.

Wilson is the polar opposite, sky high ceiling that I think we can safely say Tua doesn't have, but could also be what he was last year: bloody awful.

You can't just keep a starting job in the NFL being the 20th best starter in the league every year. That isn't how the league works.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

You can't just keep a starting job in the NFL being the 20th best starter in the league every year. That isn't how the league works.

Which is what no one is saying, particularly what you quoted.

If Tua is 2021 Tua again, with actual good play calling and an offensive line not actively trying to murder him, he'll start somewhere as a stop gap, but he'll never be the guy. If he shows he can throw a full range of plays AND be as accurate and as good at avoiding the sacks? His ceiling is pretty drat high.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Which is what no one is saying, particularly what you quoted.

If Tua is 2021 Tua again, with actual good play calling and an offensive line not actively trying to murder him, he'll start somewhere as a stop gap, but he'll never be the guy. If he shows he can throw a full range of plays AND be as accurate and as good at avoiding the sacks? His ceiling is pretty drat high.

Look, you can go ahead and hope that tua becomes Drew Brees which is great. The only thing I said was that if Wilson plays like Tua did in 2021, he will not solidify himself as a lock to be a long term, good starter in the league.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah you’re trying really really hard to push that narrative we know dude

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
We feel that the situation surrounding Tua is much better, more than we’re looking back at last season with some rose colored glasses on.

His weapons are significantly better, his line is significantly better, and his coach should be a much better fit.

Anything less than 25 passing TDs (or like, 24 and 6 rushing) would be very disappointing.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Amy Pole Her posted:

Where the gently caress are the bama fans

Get em

I'm sorry I'm in a happy relationship right now and I just don't have enough juice left for gumping as hard anymore

drat woman stole my essence

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

mcmagic posted:

Kirk cousins disagrees

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Lot of people still like to claim Allen was absolutely awful in 2019 so you gotta give Wilson until 2023...

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

tarbrush posted:

Kirk cousins disagrees

You must realize how much better Tua needs to get to just be Kirk Cousins, right? I mean Cousins threw for over 4k yards and 33TD the last 2 years and half the fanbase wants him gone.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

tarbrush posted:

Kirk cousins disagrees

Kirk Cousins is way better than that lol

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yah, numbers wise Kirk Cousins is somewhere between like 5th and 10th in almost any metric you can come up with and by the eye test, he's still like no worse then 15th.

Like just take: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Stafford, Lamar, Wilson, Dak, Rapist, Carr, Murray

You now need 6 more guys to get Cousins to 20th:

Mac, Tua, Matt Ryan, Tannehill .... like christ, I can't even make joking recommendations at this point. Jalen Hurts???

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mcmagic posted:

Look, you can go ahead and hope that tua becomes Drew Brees which is great. The only thing I said was that if Wilson plays like Tua did in 2021, he will not solidify himself as a lock to be a long term, good starter in the league.

No, you misstated Tua's stats as a full year, and acted like those numbers meant something, and you strawmaned the positions of the others in here, as you frequently do.

If Wilson has Tua's 2021 numbers over the season, it will be normal second year improvement and he'll be the starter in 23. If he doesn't improve in 23 from that? He'll start somewhere else in 24, and be a career backup, as will Tua if he shows that same arc.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Kalli posted:

Yah, numbers wise Kirk Cousins is somewhere between like 5th and 10th in almost any metric you can come up with and by the eye test, he's still like no worse then 15th.

Like just take: Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen, Herbert, Burrow, Stafford, Lamar, Wilson, Dak, Rapist, Carr, Murray

You now need 6 more guys to get Cousins to 20th:

Mac, Tua, Matt Ryan, Tannehill .... like christ, I can't even make joking recommendations at this point. Jalen Hurts???

I think Cousins is the right guy to bring up because he's not a top tier starter and keeps his job. Anyone worse than him is not going to be a long term starter anywhere.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I think Cousins is the right guy to bring up because he's not a top tier starter and keeps his job. Anyone worse than him is not going to be a long term starter anywhere.

Yeah pretty much. Just people treat Cousins like he's complete dogshit, when production wise, he's better then all but like a half dozen guys (with great receivers, a good offensive line, good coaching....)

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

The person we should be talking about is Jimmy G who is average at best and has similar skills to Tua and almost won a superbowl and almost went to another.

Generally speaking yes you are only going to go as far as your QB takes you but the exception seems to be the Shanahan offense.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

If Jimmy G was the exception Kyle Shanahan wouldn’t have traded 3 first rounders to get rid of him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

torgeaux posted:

No, you misstated Tua's stats as a full year, and acted like those numbers meant something, and you strawmaned the positions of the others in here, as you frequently do.

If Wilson has Tua's 2021 numbers over the season, it will be normal second year improvement and he'll be the starter in 23. If he doesn't improve in 23 from that? He'll start somewhere else in 24, and be a career backup, as will Tua if he shows that same arc.

The fact that Tua didn't play a full season is a knock on him, not an excuse. He's yet to ever do that and Wilson should be held to the same standard.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
What's the standard we should set for the actual accomplished 2nd year qb mac jones this year

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Diva Cupcake posted:

If Jimmy G was the exception Kyle Shanahan wouldn’t have traded 3 first rounders to get rid of him.

Yes and that's looking like a massive mistake at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

is pepsi ok posted:

Yes and that's looking like a massive mistake at this point.

It doesn’t look like anything. The plan was not for us to start in his first year and he didn’t.