Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!

akadajet posted:

lol a $600 coffee grinder

Yeah, It's maybe a bit of overkill for hobbyist coffee but seriously, the lowest effort way to increase your coffee quality is to get a better grinder. Most people I'd just recommend a Baratza Virtuoso or similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

hi yospos coffee thread, i am too lazy to go back 100 pages

i cannot make coffee at home that is “smooth” like you get at a fine restaurant. it’s always a little too sour or a little too bitter when i play with ratios or grind size

i have a deece coffee machine (i think?): https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/coffee-machines/filter-coffee-machines/aroma-signature-deluxe-filter-coffee-machine-black/

i descale/decalcify the machine whenever the light comes on and tells me to (only has happened twice in 3+ years, we have soft water here)

i buy whole beans and grind them, I’ve played with every possible grind size in the range for normal brewing with a machine: https://www.bestcoffee.guide/pages/wilfa-svart-grinders

ive tried cheaper beans, and I’ve tried more expensive beans that can be traced back to the farm of origin, the more expensive beans did not taste any better than the cheaper beans to me

i just want a smooth cup of copy, help me

restaurants tear open a premeasured pack of Sysco coffee and dump it into an industrial coffee maker with a regular filter. The only secret of the industrial coffee machine is that it has a hot water resiviour that always has the water immediately available at the ideal temperature

drinking the coffee out of a heavy very thick white mug helps too. getting some dinner style coffee mugs will probably be your biggest improvement

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i got the encore for my folks and ended up getting one for myself eventually, too. we both had the same cheap (but dutiful) blade grinders for ages

my presses have been much better between that and an electric kettle with some temp control. nothing fancy for that, just a cuisinart

now if i more regularly thoroughly cleaned my presses…

edit: seconding a good hearty mug. mine are all decades old and you can probably find similar on any second hand shelf. FTD flooded the market with gift basket mugs and it's great for big clunky coffee cups

Agile Vector fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 15, 2022

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

hi yospos coffee thread, i am too lazy to go back 100 pages

i cannot make coffee at home that is “smooth” like you get at a fine restaurant. it’s always a little too sour or a little too bitter when i play with ratios or grind size

i have a deece coffee machine (i think?): https://www.melitta.co.uk/products/coffee-machines/filter-coffee-machines/aroma-signature-deluxe-filter-coffee-machine-black/

i descale/decalcify the machine whenever the light comes on and tells me to (only has happened twice in 3+ years, we have soft water here)

i buy whole beans and grind them, I’ve played with every possible grind size in the range for normal brewing with a machine: https://www.bestcoffee.guide/pages/wilfa-svart-grinders

ive tried cheaper beans, and I’ve tried more expensive beans that can be traced back to the farm of origin, the more expensive beans did not taste any better than the cheaper beans to me

i just want a smooth cup of copy, help me

follow the coffee anus to the idea cuppa :coffee:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

PokeJoe posted:

restaurants tear open a premeasured pack of Sysco coffee and dump it into an industrial coffee maker with a regular filter. The only secret of the industrial coffee machine is that it has a hot water resiviour that always has the water immediately available at the ideal temperature

drinking the coffee out of a heavy very thick white mug helps too. getting some dinner style coffee mugs will probably be your biggest improvement

Big wide shallow baskets and a good showerhead are basically the secret weapon of commercial batch coffee brewing. That and an extremely even grind with the big roller mills that are only worth having at the packaging factory.

Basically that super-smooth coffee isn't something you'll get at home, and will never be super fresh anyway. Freshly roasted and ground coffee at home will have way more complex and interesting flavour but it's hard to get it as "smooth" or sweet and evenly brewed.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can just buy the Sysco coffee. There's lots of kinds of choose from but you could just ask a diner you like what kind they have

https://www.amazon.com/LLC-Colombian-Pre-Ground-Fractional-Packages/dp/B08MB673LL/ref=asc_df_B07SVD57XZ/

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

MindSet posted:

does that thing have a water temperature setting? i haven't had a machine at home in 10 years but temperature is super important, and most machines end up steeping the beans in 100C or hotter and that's a great way to get a bitter dishraggy overextraction.

Hard to go wrong with a v60 and a gooseneck for controlling all the variables.

it has the “European coffee association approved” sticker or whatever is called and i believe part of getting that certification is being able to brew at the consistent temperature whatever the coffee nerds say coffee needs to be brewed at is

PokeJoe posted:

the last restaurant i was at where i thought “drat this was a good cup of coffee” was a relatively small independent Peruvian joint with (supposedly) fancy Peruvian beans and when i asked what machine they had they said just a regular rear end coffee machine, which made me think maybe the beans make all the difference but it didn’t when I bought several higher end ones

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

follow the coffee anus to the idea cuppa :coffee:

this chart is awesome, thank you. i will print it and keep experimenting with it as a guide

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm telling you get the diner mug. "Victor" is the kind you're looking for

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

I'm telling you get the diner mug. "Victor" is the kind you're looking for

i will try that too!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the last restaurant i was at where i thought “drat this was a good cup of coffee” was a relatively small independent Peruvian joint with (supposedly) fancy Peruvian beans and when i asked what machine they had they said just a regular rear end coffee machine, which made me think maybe the beans make all the difference but it didn’t when I bought several higher end ones

the secret is that coffee is always good. pretend i posted one of those "they have played us for absolute fools" memes for fancy coffee.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i need to start making cold brew but my lovely tiny fridge needs the shelves adjusted so my coffee jug even fits lol

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

you can brew the coldbrew at room temperature and refrigerate it after

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

it has the “European coffee association approved” sticker or whatever is called and i believe part of getting that certification is being able to brew at the consistent temperature whatever the coffee nerds say coffee needs to be brewed at is

If you are deep in the weeds like me, that number is a moving target based on roast, grind, and method - I think I agree with the above that restaurant brewers have a big reservoir that is thus more thermally stable, plus a big ol brew chamber that probably almost functions like an immersion brewer. My solution would be to try a small insulated french press or a ceramic v60 that you pre-warm.

You can also try pre-warming your mug, that might help a bit so the cold ceramic doesn't steal all the heat from your coffee and drop its temperature fast.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a good electric kettle now, maybe I should learn how to do a pour over

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

MononcQc posted:

you can brew the coldbrew at room temperature and refrigerate it after

you SHOULD brew at room temperature, cold thickens up and inhibits the bean oil from mixing/steeping properly

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mm yeah gimme those delicious bean oils

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i have a bunn drip maker with a hot water resiviour and "taller" filter baskets. It has a good showerhead and makes excellent coffee. It's pretty close to the ones the restaurant I worked at used aside from it being a home consumer model, but the commercial ones were bunn branded too

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i think the ones that heat water as they brew cause more of a sputtering shower with longer brew times. My machine spits out a pot of coffee immediately. Restaurant machines make coffee fast too for obvious reasons

lousy hat
Jul 17, 2004

bone appetit
Clapping Larry
my office like 20 years ago just had multi-warmer Bunn brewers in the break rooms. best office coffee I’ve ever had, especially if you made it fresh

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

lousy hat posted:

my office like 20 years ago just had multi-warmer Bunn brewers in the break rooms. best office coffee I’ve ever had, especially if you made it fresh

They're not cheap but you can get those in a "small office" size that works for home.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i had something called a "black tonic" yesterday. coffee and tonic water. discuss

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Cat Face Joe posted:

i had something called a "black tonic" yesterday. coffee and tonic water. discuss

mix in some pbr hard coffee

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
was it good

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cat Face Joe posted:

hmmmm

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

coff

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Bhodi posted:

you SHOULD brew at room temperature, cold thickens up and inhibits the bean oil from mixing/steeping properly

the jug is for storing the cold brew in the fridge??????

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cat Face Joe posted:

pass

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

graph posted:

mix in some pbr hard coffee

that stuff sucked

Lady Radia posted:

was it good

it was. deffo a hot day drink, not something you'd mix up in the fall

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Re cold brew chat: Its not quite warm enough here for cold brew yet so I can't remember the percentages exactly but you can make a pretty bitchen cup without refrigeration if you have a chemex. Put about 40% of your water weight in the base before you actually brew as ice cubes, then just brew it as normal with the remaining 60%. Make sure you pour eeeeeextra slowly and by the end its delicious and nicely chilled, no need to make it the night or two before.

There's a slightly different taste if you've got a very sensitive pallet but I enjoy it.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Re cold brew chat: Its not quite warm enough here for cold brew yet so I can't remember the percentages exactly but you can make a pretty bitchen cup without refrigeration if you have a chemex. Put about 40% of your water weight in the base before you actually brew as ice cubes, then just brew it as normal with the remaining 60%. Make sure you pour eeeeeextra slowly and by the end its delicious and nicely chilled, no need to make it the night or two before.

There's a slightly different taste if you've got a very sensitive pallet but I enjoy it.

I do a less precise version of this with an aeropress and enjoy it very much, as well.

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

+1 for "brew into ice" with aeropress/chemex/v60. Great method for a quick cold coff

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

mmm coffee

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

having my second cup of bean

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

dioxazine posted:

having my second cup of bean

about to do the same!

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I think I'm gonna have a third :sludgepal:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Had coffee

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Made coffee haven't touched it yet

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

got a nice hot pot on the burner

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

in the mood for extremely sweet iced coffee right now. not quite dalgona levels, but sweet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
I haven’t drank caffeine in years but I’ve been dragging lately and craving for espresso.

Thinking of picking up an Aeropress and maybe a decent enough grinder. What’s the best way to get back into it without breaking the bank.

I also love and miss Irish Coffee.