Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

total twenty fifteen thinking there jonny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

you should be ashamed

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

lol got stood up on a date. first time that’s happened to me

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
imagine claiming your dev environment is now modern and cool because they emulate linux inside the shell
just
lol

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just telling on yourself at that point

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

our development environment sucks rear end, god i hate eclipse so much

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

carry on then posted:

our development environment sucks rear end, god i hate eclipse so much

idk why people use eclipse any more. Like back in 2005 ok maybe you're broke and cant afford intellij but in 2022 visual studio exists so idk why anyone is still using eclipse.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

rotor posted:

idk why people use eclipse any more. Like back in 2005 ok maybe you're broke and cant afford intellij but in 2022 visual studio exists so idk why anyone is still using eclipse.

our entire codebase is organized as eclipse projects and doesn't build properly in anything else. for ci/cd we have an ant script to invoke eclipse

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

carry on then posted:

our entire codebase is organized as eclipse projects and doesn't build properly in anything else. for ci/cd we have an ant script to invoke eclipse
fake your death and move to Belize

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

carry on then posted:

for ci/cd we have an ant script to invoke eclipse

:stonk:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

akadajet posted:

lol got stood up on a date. first time that’s happened to me

rip

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

imagine claiming your dev environment is now modern and cool because they emulate linux inside the shell
just
lol

god forbid I work in a flexible environment that fits my needs

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you need microsoft windows to be productive you're a truly hosed up individual

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
like id probably call the cops on you just to be safe

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

carry on then posted:

I got my old job off of Vim and onto Eclipse in 2007 and I bet they're still on it. I got my current job off of Vim and onto IDEA in 2018 and I'm still on it. Looking forward to getting my next job off of VSCode and onto Notepad or whatever.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

if you need microsoft windows to be productive you're a truly hosed up individual

hello, i'd like you introduce you to every enterprise microsoft customer

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

CPColin posted:

I got my old job off of Vim and onto Eclipse in 2007 and I bet they're still on it. I got my current job off of Vim and onto IDEA in 2018 and I'm still on it. Looking forward to getting my next job off of VSCode and onto Notepad or whatever.

vscode is actually good though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol at shifting an environment away from vim. truly universe brain poo poo

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

The Fool posted:

hello, i'd like you introduce you to every enterprise microsoft customer

not seeing any evidence against jonny's take here

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I didnt intend to refute it, I know it's hosed up

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Jonny 290 posted:

lol at shifting an environment away from vim. truly universe brain poo poo

Right? First day at my current job I was asking the person I was replacing about stuff, heard that part, and just sighed. Maybe my next job will have an actual mature dev environment already?

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

I hate that I'm so stockholmed into vim

It's ruined my brain

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

FlapYoJacks posted:

If your dev environments aren’t set up in a docker container you are doing dev wrong.

1) get docker and docker-compose up and running
2) run docker-compose build and docker-compose up -d
3) Start coding.

counterpoint: docker consistently fucks up my qbittorrent container

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Docking sounds fun in theory but getting the right angle is so tricky!

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I like Vim because I enjoy tinkering endlessly with my poo poo, in pretty much every aspect of my life. The navigation feels great once you get used to it too, and I can have like 6 files onscreen at once without issues.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the few times i have to “write code” for a project i feel so dirty

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

hbag posted:

counterpoint: docker consistently fucks up my qbittorrent container

You definitely have a hosed up setting or they have a hosed up container

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

I wish I could engage with programming like I used to.

Like it was one of my special interests, and now I can never ever work with that level of intensity or that focus ever again.

loving sucks

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yep. forever lonely… until the next date

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

alexandriao posted:

I wish I could engage with programming like I used to.

Like it was one of my special interests, and now I can never ever work with that level of intensity or that focus ever again.

loving sucks
I’m sorry to hear this :smith: was it burnout?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

we know you love cops

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Lady Radia posted:

I’m sorry to hear this :smith: was it burnout?

Yeah :(

At my internship in 2017:
- the commute was 4 hours total
- the person I was dating broke up with me
- i was too anxious to start dealing with Gender Stuff and had been blowing off the option of transitioning for 4 or 5 years
- i didn't have any networks or support groups
- i had a Bug that even the seniors couldn't fix (and they had no time to) that blocked what should have been a day's work, for like 5 months
- some folks at work were deadnaming chelsea manning

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

akadajet posted:

we know you love cops

do i now lol

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

it wasn't any one thing, I just had absolutely no support at all, and it's ruined my ability to engage in my special interest outside of my getting payment for it possibly forever

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

FlapYoJacks posted:

If your dev environments aren’t set up in a docker container you are doing dev wrong.

1) get docker and docker-compose up and running
2) run docker-compose build and docker-compose up -d
3) Start coding.

don't get your jacks in a flap

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

alexandriao posted:

it wasn't any one thing, I just had absolutely no support at all, and it's ruined my ability to engage in my special interest outside of my getting payment for it possibly forever

Thst sucks. I hope things get better and you can enjoy your interest more soon.

my special interests are animals and warhammer

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I use emacs with that there lsp-java, it's nice. Java famously has it's own vm so no need to dockerize the whole dev env. We still build a docker image for it since we use kubernetes and still have a nice docker-compose setup for goobers who got taught wrong and are scared of their own machines.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

my dev environment is windows on the desktop and linux as a vm because linux is a server and appliance operating system

nfs is dogshit though so I'm going to poke at the windows fuse thing and switch to sshfs

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

alexandriao posted:

i hope you get back there one day, but only when comfortable at peace with it and not pushing yourself to do it unhappily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
One of the best dev envs I've had was a few jobs ago, everyone had their repos on remote dev machines and web servers set up such that any checkout suvdir in your main work directory would be served by <subdir--name>.<short-username>.company.local and you didn't have ro worry about reloading on code changes or anything. Using git-worktree with it was super nice, just a simple command and you had your branch checked out and served up so integration tests and QA or whatever could do their thing.

Also meant that any day when we lost the connection to the colo across town where the dev machines lived was a free day and everyone got to go home