Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Ace Ventura: The CD-Rom Game is a point and click adventure game that is based on the animated series Ace Ventura: Pet Detective which is based on the Ace Ventura films that were filmed and released in the mid-90s. If you have seen the films or TV series then expect more of the same in this game and it more than likely hasn't aged well in the last fifteen years. This is my first time playing through the game in full, I did play the demo when I was younger but that is my only experience with this before now.

The game feels very unfinished as there are a lot of hotspots that we can't interact with or they just give us a generic response, according to a text file released with the game there was meant to be a manual save\load system which was a feature in the manual but was removed, and there also seems to be missing audio along the way too.

LP Details

This is going to be a VLP and I'll be recording commentary live as I play through the game. I'm going to aim to do at least one video a week, there won't be a strict schedule as a lot depends on my work rota and childcare. This game is relatively short and will probably be completed in a couple of weeks as it's only going to take five or six updates.

Let's Play: Ace Ventura: The CD-Rom Game

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 10:51 on May 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Is there such a thing as too much Fake Peak 90's Jim Carrey?

Because I'm barely 10 minutes in and I think I'm past that point. How you managed to survive this is beyond me.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
I think I've played this!

This was based on the cartoon based on the movie.

I never watched the cartoon myself, but animated Ace Ventura showed up on the animated Mask cartoon, and that I have seen.

Good grief, I can't believe all the properties they've made cartoons for....

Rambo...
Mr. T...
Robocop...
Toxic Crusaders...

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

berryjon posted:

Is there such a thing as too much Fake Peak 90's Jim Carrey?

Because I'm barely 10 minutes in and I think I'm past that point. How you managed to survive this is beyond me.

Like seriously the humor in this game just falls flat everywhere. Hoping it isn't too painful to play through.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

painedforever posted:

I think I've played this!

This was based on the cartoon based on the movie.

I never watched the cartoon myself, but animated Ace Ventura showed up on the animated Mask cartoon, and that I have seen.

Good grief, I can't believe all the properties they've made cartoons for....

Rambo...
Mr. T...
Robocop...
Toxic Crusaders...

They also made a Dumb and Dumber cartoon too. Apparently Jim Carey's was cartoonish enough to just make him into one.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Zeniel posted:

They also made a Dumb and Dumber cartoon too. Apparently Jim Carey's was cartoonish enough to just make him into one.

Was that called Two Stupid Dogs? Because I've seen that too.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They also made a cartoon based on "The Mask", possibly done by the same cartoon studio. Which is quite the impressive journey from what the original Mask comics were about.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

Fun fact: This - yes, this - was the very first game CD Projekt officially localized and published for the Polish market. Unfortunately, Marcin Iwinski could no longer remember what "alrighty then" was in Polish when he was asked about it in an interview.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:39 on May 19, 2022

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I remember playing a demo of this when I was a kid, but it wasn't available where I lived so I could never get it.

I so dodged a bullet there without realizing it, it's amazing how every single :airquote:funny:airquote: moment just fell completely flat in this first video

berryjon
May 30, 2011

DMorbid posted:

Unfortunately, Marcin Iwinski could no longer remember what "alrighty then" was in Polish when he was asked about it in an interview.

It was Carrey's attempt to make a meme, that's what it was. But like everything else, it's just... meh.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

DMorbid posted:

Fun fact: This - yes, this - was the very first game CD Projekt officially localized and published for the Polish market. Unfortunately, Marcin Iwinski could no longer remember what "alrighty then" was in Polish when he was asked about it in an interview.

There is a Polish version of this game available to download on archive.org but it's probably best not to give a direct link as it may fall under the warez banner. There is a Polish playthrough here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JF_eV1NgUpo&t=11s but it's without subtitles (Edit: Apparently the Polish version was released with subtitles). The timestamp is where Ace says alrighty then in the intro.

I've completed a test run in preparation for another recording and it does turn somewhat more into a traditional point 'n' click adventure. The hotspots in this game are weird as a few of them start to suddenly work in this section which didn't before and it seems like there are several hotspots that are only situational but serve no purpose at any other time. There are still a lot of hotspots which just don't do anything, at all. Also, if you think that the humour in the game falls flat already I wouldn't expect it to start picking up any time soon.

Here's another fun fact: The Mask, Dumb & Dumber and the Ace Ventura animated shows originally aired in 1995 in August, October and December respectively.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

berryjon posted:

It was Carrey's attempt to make a meme, that's what it was. But like everything else, it's just... meh.
I know that was Ace Ventura's catchphrase, I was talking about the CD Projekt guy not remembering what said catchphrase translated into in Polish. I don't speak more than a few words of Polish myself, I just thought that was a fun fact.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 19, 2022

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

evilmiera posted:

Like seriously the humor in this game just falls flat everywhere. Hoping it isn't too painful to play through.
At least half of it is just punchlines from the movie without any of the setup, and even the ones that could have worked are delivered by someone dedicating more effort to doing a Jim Carrey impression than to delivering the jokes effectively.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

painedforever posted:

Toxic Crusaders...

For some reason, I don't recall hating this one.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Oh, I never said I hated them. Robocop was fun. Mr. T was meh. Mask was pretty good. I've only ever heard of the Rambo cartoon, so I don't know what that was like.

I didn't really like the Toxic Crusaders cartoon, but that was mainly because I didn't like the aesthetics.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011

painedforever posted:

I've only ever heard of the Rambo cartoon, so I don't know what that was like.

It was like GI Joe, but it had that Rambo-brand flavouring. Much like GI Joe, it was basically a giant toy commercial.

There was a lot of Rambo toys back then...

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Getting back to the game...

It reminds me of those animated wallpapers we used to get back when Windows 95 first came out? Anybody remember those? Y'know, there used to be one that had ants walking across it, and there was another one from this movie called Joe's Apartment with dancing cockroaches...

Lot of insects for some reason.

Anybody even born back then?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

painedforever posted:

Getting back to the game...

It reminds me of those animated wallpapers we used to get back when Windows 95 first came out? Anybody remember those? Y'know, there used to be one that had ants walking across it, and there was another one from this movie called Joe's Apartment with dancing cockroaches...

Lot of insects for some reason.

Anybody even born back then?

Oh yes, I am old enough that I had a windows 95 computer as my very first PC, my elementary school class mates were very very jealous that we had a computer in the house.

I got games on Floppy disk from mail order

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

The old Apogee stuff was great.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
A buddy of mine got Terminator 2 screen savers. One of them had gunshots that would make the metal impact 'puddles' the T-1000 got on the screen. As if your monitor were the antagonist of the film.

He put it on a computer in school because he thought it was neat and wanted to show us it. Well it went to sleep later in class and the speakers were on, it made gunshot noises too. The teacher at the time got all upset and was yelling "Is this a threat?!" Late 90's, this was post Columbine, but the culture at the time wasn't as sensitive as now.

That reaction at the time was more seen as well over the top. The kid would have probably been suspended at minimum for that today.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is short and contains the second half of Ace's time on the Nemo and the set-up for the next case. There are only three cases in this game and I may end up recording the last two in full, so this LP may be done in a couple of more updates.

There really isn't a lot of room to manoeuvre in this game as there's barely any other content outside of the main plot devices, even with the main plot devices the amount of hints available to get make any further progress is non-existent. I've also just read that there's missable information in the first case that we're going to need later, I discovered the information in the playthrough but I'm hoping that you can still get through the puzzle even without it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

evilmiera posted:

Hoping it isn't too painful to play through.

I've just completed a test run of the second case in full and it's given me a headache. There is a long section that is absolutely horrendous to navigate and there's a short minigame that frustrated the hell out of me as I had to replay it numerous times to figure out the timings. I should also mention that we're going to meet an indigenous group of people in this case and if you can probably imagine how that is going to go down, I'd advise you to lower your expectations a couple of more notches.

I might have a video up tomorrow if all goes well, if not I'll try to have something up on Monday or Tuesday.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

You have my sympathies. And I already have no expectations of anything good coming from this game as it is really looking like shovelware.

berryjon fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 21, 2022

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The third case takes us to Alaska. I'm not sure where in Alaska but I'm guessing that with these developers it's their version of generic Alaska. We also meet an indigenous group of people who are handled as well as you would expect for this game. I have a cold at the moment so I'm forgetting simple words like "junction", I'm just happy that I was able to get through this recording in one take (after several retries).

berryjon posted:

You have my sympathies. And I already have no expectations of anything good coming from this game as it is really looking like shovelware.

I already have regrets about including a miserable scene, the scene after wasn't missable, unfortunately.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm not even remotely related to any indigenous (or not) people in Alaska and I feel personally offended.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

what

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

That was definitely about the level I expected of tribesmen with bones in their noses, maybe a little worse. I wasn't expecting the puzzle of the seals that had their fat squashed out of them to be solved by... letting them all bathe in the oil created by their fat. That's almost dream logic except not quite.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I was going to follow this up with another bad game but I think that I'm going to need a palate cleanser after this one. I was expecting it to be bad but not to these levels.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

jfc this game is appalling

No matter how low your expectations of an Ace Ventura (the TV show) video game were, you couldn't predict something this bad. This is not a product of its time. This is a crime against humanity.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

There were moments while LP'ing the Duckman game that made me cringe and there was one segment in which I felt uncomfortable in recording and uploading.

I'm really having some doubts with this game and especially this video. There's one video until the end but I feel like I've overstepped several lines with this update.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
You're seriously making me afraid to watch these. Like, I'm curious, and I remember the movie that has not remotely aged well in the slightest, but the commentary from everyone here is just DIRE.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Keldulas posted:

You're seriously making me afraid to watch these. Like, I'm curious, and I remember the movie that has not remotely aged well in the slightest, but the commentary from everyone here is just DIRE.

This video in particular deals with, I'm going to guess with the ethnicity and i apologise if I'm wrong, Ace visiting an Inuit village. Transfer this to a 90s comedy game based on a film with a very specific brand of humour.

What the game portrays is an old-school portrayal of how "Eskimos" were represnted in various media, with bad dental health, all living in igloos and a leader with visible odour. The women of these people are sexualized and there's an optional scene where Ace has to "rub noses" with several of them to pass a test, even though you can't see it you can hear the goings on.

The puzzle that follows involves making a totem pole out of various parts. These parts clearly show you that you're having to make a totem pole into a woman, which isn't a problem in any normal sense, but there's a focus on one area of the body in particular to make it very obvious that you're making it into a woman.

And that's the first 8 minutes of a half hour video, the rest of the video is just absolute nonsense. I understand that this is the 90s and the level of humour that was acceptable back then but we're playing and watching this 26 years onwards.

Edit: clearing up my terrible grammar and some choice of words.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 22, 2022

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

There were funny parts of Duckman. It wasn't exactly a good game and it aged poorly, but it had a few bits here and there that shined. This game is a comedic and quality black hole by comparison.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

There were funny parts of Duckman. It wasn't exactly a good game and it aged poorly, but it had a few bits here and there that shined. This game is a comedic and quality black hole by comparison.

Duckman was enjoyable to play through, there was just one character who really didn't age well.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I've had a youtube comment suggest that I add a warning at the beginning of the video. That's not possible so I've edited the title and added a description.

Let's Play: Ace Ventura: The CD-Rom Game (Part 3) *Warning - contains racially sensitive content*

quote:

0:00 - 8:24 This section of the game contains some very offensive content based on old school views on the indigenous people of Alaska that were portrayed in various media.

This game is a product of its time and I'm not saying that as an excuse the content that it has presented.

Is this okay? I'm not sure if I have worded this appropriately and I'd appreciate some feedback if anyone has anything that I should add\remove\change. Thank you.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I think that's good. I remember how Warner Bros. treated their very old cartoons when they were re-released, and explained things plainly and clearly.

In fact, here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCT1clqci3I

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The more I see of this game, the more glad I am that I never managed to get through the underwater minigame. I think I convinced myself that there was an actual game beyond it that I would never see. I think I was wrong in every possible way.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's amazing. The bar was laying on the ground and the game still didn't clear it

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

This video in particular deals with, I'm going to guess with the ethnicity and i apologise if I'm wrong, Ace visiting an Inuit village. Transfer this to a 90s comedy game based on a film with a very specific brand of humour.

While some portion of the indigenous peoples of Alaska can be classed as Inuit, it's not a term generally used there. The Inuit there are basically all Inupiaq, and the Yup'ik are the biggest group of Arctic natives in the state. There's a map here that shows the rough regions of ethnic groups. You're probably fine with 'Alaskan native'/'indigenous' in this situation . The game is very obviously just playing to 'Eskimo' stereotypes. Obviously 'Eskimo' is to be avoided because it's a overbroad term another group called them, that the Europeans used instead of calling the people by the name they would use for themselves. Not to mention the cultural baggage and stereotypes (there's also a false etymology that it was offensive, which affects perception of the word rightly or wrongly).

'Inuit' would be appropriate for just about all of northern (especially northeastern) Canada, as well as Greenland, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the fourth and final video. I did think about splitting this into two videos to separate the apartment and the case but, to be honest, I'm pretty much done with this game already. In this video, Ace visits Bavaria to take down the mastermind behind the animal's disappearance in the first two cases. This is pretty much the same as what you have seen before, nonsensical puzzles, poor design choices and many regrets.

Thank you, everyone, for watching and being part of this LP. I'm not going to lie, I'm glad that this game is over as it was not a joy to play. I should have played through the game more than I did but I made the assumption that it was all going to be terrible, I wasn't expecting it to go to the levels that it did. I was going to do an LP of an adventure game about a porn star but I think that I'm going to avoid any further controversy for a little while. The following game on the list also has a couple of questionable design decisions so I'm going to put it off for a bit too. While this video was uploading I decided to take a look at some other games that I've been thinking about doing down the line that is in no particular order. I've decided that I'd like to do an LP of Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer and I'll try to work on having something up before the week is over.