Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

bewbies posted:

what does him being black have to do with anything?

bewbies please re-read this another 100 times to yourself out loud before posting again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I think it's great that Josh Donaldson is trying to be todays Ty Cobb.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

Don't paraphrase the quote:

“I kind of feel like today’s Jackie Robinson,” he told the magazine. “That’s huge to say. But it’s cool, man, because he changed the game, and I feel like I’m getting to a point to where I need to change the game.” He's not saying he is Jackie Robinson, he's saying he wants to be Jackie Robinson.

Like here is a whole article from years ago before Donaldson had to try to get under his skin:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/white-sox/ct-spt-white-sox-tim-anderson-jackie-robinson-20190501-story.html

I suppose I just read the quote differently. if it's a semantic difference, fine.

the thing that annoys me about it is that to me, a dopey white guy who more or less worships Jackie Robinson, is it seems very ignorant about just how incredible what he did really was, and how important it was to shaping the modern sports and social environment that Anderson is very much a beneficiary of. Anderson seems like a decent and very intelligent guy, but nothing he will ever do will be as important or heroic as what Jackie Robinson did. that being said, I am all ears to hear anything Anderson or any other athlete has to say about their experiences in pro sports and how racism affects it.

if he wants to pump his own tires in some random interview to sports illustrated, fine. but when people make fun of you for saying dumb poo poo in said interview, just take your medicine man. don't go slinging around accusations of racism because you feel silly for saying something stupid 3 years ago.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

bewbies please re-read this another 100 times to yourself out loud before posting again

that was specifically in response to that post, which implied that I have some kind of problem with black players saying things, I hope this clarified my position on this matter.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

I think it's great that Josh Donaldson is trying to be todays Ty Cobb.

I’m just glad someone is trying to be today’s Doltos

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/baseballcontext/status/1528488914134126594?t=NE6TNBGsagAUKWrHuIYSpQ&s=19

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

bewbies posted:

I suppose I just read the quote differently. if it's a semantic difference, fine.

the thing that annoys me about it is that to me, a dopey white guy who more or less worships Jackie Robinson, is it seems very ignorant about just how incredible what he did really was, and how important it was to shaping the modern sports and social environment that Anderson is very much a beneficiary of. Anderson seems like a decent and very intelligent guy, but nothing he will ever do will be as important or heroic as what Jackie Robinson did. that being said, I am all ears to hear anything Anderson or any other athlete has to say about their experiences in pro sports and how racism affects it.

if he wants to pump his own tires in some random interview to sports illustrated, fine. but when people make fun of you for saying dumb poo poo in said interview, just take your medicine man. don't go slinging around accusations of racism because you feel silly for saying something stupid 3 years ago.

He's not saying he is Jackie Robinson, he's saying he wants to be Jackie Robinson!!!!! I don't know why this is hard to understand.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

He's not saying he is Jackie Robinson, he's saying he wants to be Jackie Robinson!!!!! I don't know why this is hard to understand.

get a time machine, go back to 1947, skin jackie robinson and profit???

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

STAC Goat posted:

I really don’t care if Anderson was right or not to compare himself to Jackie Robinson. It’s not my place to judge that and it’s not the issue at hand. A white dude doesn’t get to taunt him with it and then just pretend race has nothing to do with it.

:yeah:

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

bewbies posted:

Jackie Robinson's legacy, of which TA is a part of, doesn't need you to defend it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

I really don’t care if Anderson was right or not to compare himself to Jackie Robinson. It’s not my place to judge that and it’s not the issue at hand. A white dude doesn’t get to taunt him with it and then just pretend race has nothing to do with it.

I don't get "I can't judge if a dude made a stupid statement or not". You can and what he said was stupid.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Dog Faced JoJo posted:

It's one way to interpret what he said and I don't think it is hard to understand. I also think it's easy to understand how someone would read "I kinda feel like today's Jackie Robinson" and interpret it as him saying, well, he's today's Jackie Robinson.

My honest feeling on the whole matter is that Donaldson is an rear end and needled a bit too much when tensions were already high from that play at third a few days ago but we probably don't hear about any of this if Chicago wins those games.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
N: The Twins looked set to get smoked by the Royals in a sour ending to an excellent string of based ball against them and the A's, but then KC's bullpen pulled a Classic Twins and melted down like Chernobyl allowing us to scream back and escape with the win and another sweep for the stack.

V: LOL

Somehow the Twins continue to exist as a Functional Baseball Team, which may be enough.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
The Tigers will have a starting pitcher to be named later to start game three against the twins on Wednesday, such is the state of the injuries running through the team

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Astros finally win 2 in a row again after pingponging wins and losses for the previous 9 games. Feels good

The Angels blew a huge chance by getting swept by the Rangers of all teams

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Intruder posted:

Astros finally win 2 in a row again after pingponging wins and losses for the previous 9 games. Feels good

The Angels blew a huge chance by getting swept by the Rangers of all teams

Another way to look at it is that the Astros blew a huge chance while the Angels were getting swept by the Rangers of all teams :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Astros are in first so nah :colbert:

e: Man I can't imagine how good this pitching staff is going to look when McCullers gets back. Of course, they're all pitching way above their heads at the moment I guess so they'll have to regress at some point

JV isn't going to finish the season with a 1.22 ERA for example

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

As a white man who spends my life behind a computer I am here in the baseball thread to share my very important opinions on the racial implications of a verbal confrontation between two multimillionaires:

Orioles baseball baby let’s go O’s.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
After a tough week for Angels relief pitching, Tepera and Iglesias combined to face 5 batters and strike out all 5 on 21 pitches with 11 whiffs to close out a series win over the A's.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
The Mets have lost back to back games once this season.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
just wanna say that as a person of color that has gotten the "you look like/are x" thing a lot of times in my life it is hard for me to look at the situation and give donaldson the benefit of the doubt in any respect. like, even if you think that anderson comparing himself to robinson is 100% wrongheaded in any context, how is invoking his name while performing one of the most common racial microaggressions worthy of defending? it's not a normal thing to do with friends, let alone some dude who already doesn't like you

also tim anderson literally homered while I was typing this, lol

TwoHeadedDeer fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 23, 2022

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

The secret to beating the Yankees is to create some sort of reason to have a grudge against them and then kick them in the junk because they can't answer back a win. It's happened regularly the past few years. They'll fold every time in response.

Boston's "New York, New York" boombox
Altuve's jersey clutch
Everything that the Rays have done or said
Donaldson being a racist piece of poo poo
Lindor with a 3 homer night after arguing with Stanton

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 07:25 on May 23, 2022

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTzRJ3cpTTI

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

just wanna say that as a person of color that has gotten the "you look like/are x" thing a lot of times in my life

Apparently I look just like Laurence Fishburne, Will Smith, Barack Obama, Sisqo, and a guy from Game of Thrones named Duckworth or some poo poo.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
bless Tim Anderson, this owns

https://twitter.com/whitesox/status/1528551795454365696

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lol that's jd's hr celebration as he passes third

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

The Walrus posted:

lol that's jd's hr celebration as he passes third

Ha that's good poo poo.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
He should have called him Cap Anson as he rounded third.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

smdh he should take a page out of Jackie Robinson's book and stop promoting himself so much. Why can't he just shut up and play the game???

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

They cut it off there because on the broadcast you can hear him yell “tell those motherfuckers to shut the gently caress up” what a legend.

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/1528552990281433088

I’m gonna get an Anderson shirt next time I’m at a game.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Personally I think we should just agree that JD is a shithead and move on

like it seems like even the people who're saying TA said something dumb agree JD is a shithead

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Every time the Yankees end up in a fued of some kind over the last few years they get owned by the most insufferable jackasses.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

mcmagic posted:

Every time the Yankees end up in a fued of some kind over the last few years they get owned by the most insufferable jackasses.

That's been Yankees tradition since 1973.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I have an important question for this thread

https://twitter.com/simpsonsqotd/status/1528719452040208386?s=21&t=7R8v6O92DDpbITiMOSqYoQ

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

GoatSeeGuy posted:

getting owned by their own fans? yeah sounds about right

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

GoatSeeGuy posted:

Fans don't boo nobodies.

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Yankees are self-owning confirmed.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 6 days!)

What'd I miss? Did the Yankees sign John Rocker?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This weekend, I learned that MLB sponsors a PGA golfer and this is the whitest thing I've ever seen.

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.57366.cameron-young.html

According to one site, that sponsorship comes with free access to any MLB stadium which sounds like a cool perk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Luigi Thirty posted:

They cut it off there because on the broadcast you can hear him yell “tell those motherfuckers to shut the gently caress up” what a legend.

https://twitter.com/MrMichaelLee/status/1528552990281433088

I’m gonna get an Anderson shirt next time I’m at a game.

that yankees fan was absolutely trying to hit Anderson