Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1528441639924027394

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

nudgenudgetilt posted:

the high end is obscene.

my slow/small car is a frankenstein job from banggood parts that'll do 70mph+. the big/fast one is an arrma that I've had up to 121mph before it went airborne.

:psyduck:

jesus

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

why always me!!!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

lol

also loving Red Bulls

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

my dev env is Xcode and android studio on macOS and it’s really nice

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

is this the rest of my life
getting up at awful times just to go to work and then go home exhausted five days a loving week, forever
is this seriously loving it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

no. sometimes you get a 3 day weekend

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Or you can work from home, and enjoy having your work life and personal life bleed into eachother forever. Still beats commuting imo

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

plus a few weeks off per year that always seem to go by way too quickly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

hbag posted:

i turned 40 couple years ago and the only thing i could think of was 'is there really 25 more loving years of this'

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hbag posted:

getting up at awful times just to go to work and then go home exhausted five days a loving week, forever

:)

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

sounds like youve almost arrived in cjs, hbag

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
That's all your life only when you seriously lack imagination.

Most of getting there is clearing your mind of fake ideas like "respectable career" or "getting in trouble".

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

endlessmonotony posted:

Most of getting there is clearing your mind of fake ideas like "respectable career" or "getting in trouble".

hbag is taking a big step right now though. probably wont get rid of those fake ideas without going through it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

fart simpson posted:

hbag is taking a big step right now though. probably wont get rid of those fake ideas without going through it

Yeah that was more at the rest of you wet blankets.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

hahahah

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

hbag posted:

aww, i remember when you first joined up and was a naive sheltered widdle baby still tinkering with SuSE linux with notepad. now you're a real adult and i'm so proud :3:

two things that helps:
a) work a 9/80 schedule. seriously having 26 extra 3-day weekends is life-changing. that every other week i get to look forward to that owns so loving hard. 8 vs 9 hours a day is mostly moot, the day is mostly shot anyways and i'll gladly take working +1 hr every day in exchange for more 3-day weekends.
b) reclaim the weekday evenings: it's so easy to lose those in just burn-out and "only live for the weekend". I was doing that for almost a decade: i would come home, make dinner, login to shitpost, play games, and conc out before doing the same poo poo every day. that routine is absolutely abysmal and weekdays were basically just black holes of nothing now i'm doing pottery classes twice a week for 3+ hrs, workout routine the other two days, and spend a weekday on deep clean and movie night. do not let your weekday evenings to to waste. it's the quickest way to just wanting to die.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
if you squeeze hard for figgies and successfully save most of it you have to do it for 15-20 years. if you dont its more like 40-50.

then again there will prolly not be a coherent civilization willing and able to give retirements in 40-50 years. i am pretty optimistic about only a few billions dead but we'll have to see

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 23, 2022

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah i'm 42 now and the plan is to exit the tech industry by age 46 at the latest. then im gonna go write a check for a small cottage and work 20 hours a week making dovetails for some rich rear end in a top hat's cabinets, and 20 hours fixing what will then be 50 year old silverface stereos.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The day I stop programming is the day I fall over dead, love it. Love that society says it's worth money and gives it to me

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm 40 in five months and might take a year off to "pretire" because who knows if the world will be around when I'm actually at retirement age

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CPColin posted:

I'm 40 in five months and might take a year off to "pretire" because who knows if the world will be around when I'm actually at retirement age

late 30s, I'm on a "six month" break from having a 9-5 that started in feb of 2021. gently caress is it difficult to make yourself go back to that bullshit after a taste of freedom.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Yeah, I'm for sure a little worried about that aspect

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm on month 6 of pretirement and it's pretty great

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah i'm 42 now and the plan is to exit the tech industry by age 46 at the latest. then im gonna go write a check for a small cottage and work 20 hours a week making dovetails for some rich rear end in a top hat's cabinets, and 20 hours fixing what will then be 50 year old silverface stereos.
this is a good plan. all the boomers and silents that worked until they were 70+ and then immediately keeled over once they officially quit just because they’d have to spend time with their spouses and don’t know what to do without work is just really sad to have witnessed all around. Americana work culture is brain poison

I get a pretty great pension and ss if I retire at 67 but loving lmao, even if for some magical reason western civ is still standing I’m expecting to die somewhere between 65 +\- 5 anyways so I’m getting out a decade before that even if it’s terrible financially because at least I could spend the rest doing something with my remaining time on this planet

where are you getting the cottage? upstate Vermont or Maine or ny seems nice; maybe even evaporate maple syrup on the side

Xaris fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 23, 2022

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

Xaris posted:

aww, i remember when you first joined up and was a naive sheltered widdle baby still tinkering with SuSE linux with notepad. now you're a real adult and i'm so proud :3:

two things that helps:
a) work a 9/80 schedule. seriously having 26 extra 3-day weekends is life-changing. that every other week i get to look forward to that owns so loving hard. 8 vs 9 hours a day is mostly moot, the day is mostly shot anyways and i'll gladly take working +1 hr every day in exchange for more 3-day weekends.
b) reclaim the weekday evenings: it's so easy to lose those in just burn-out and "only live for the weekend". I was doing that for almost a decade: i would come home, make dinner, login to shitpost, play games, and conc out before doing the same poo poo every day. that routine is absolutely abysmal and weekdays were basically just black holes of nothing now i'm doing pottery classes twice a week for 3+ hrs, workout routine the other two days, and spend a weekday on deep clean and movie night. do not let your weekday evenings to to waste. it's the quickest way to just wanting to die.

i have literally never used SuSE and you're being weird

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm ready to retire already and i'm not even 40. generally enjoy tech and banging out scripts and playing with networking, but i can do that for not a job and probably enjoy it a lot more.

still, the pragmatist says i should just keep on keeping on and then move back to asia before 2030

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

hbag posted:

you get used to it

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

personally I'm banking on "fall in love with a figgielady and springboard that into both of us retiring early" because that seems more realistic than burning my soul at both ends for the next 15 years in hopes that'll end me up in a similar early retirement scenario

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

dioxazine posted:

you get used to it

that is by far the most piss-poor response yet

"dont worry you get used to wasting 5/7ths of your life"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cls I had a dream that the new internet nazi fad was to refer to other countries as “tiles”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hbag posted:

can always quit and go back to the full 7/7ths

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

hbag posted:

how do you rate my smiley face response

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

endlessmonotony posted:

NORMAL PEOPLE: desiccated by the realities of work in the long term
CREATIVE PEOPLE: same but it's a dragon breathing fire on you

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

hbag posted:

might be worth mentioning that elements of your work that seem exhausting when you're starting out cease being exhausting once you're used to doing them regularly and/or gain experience that tends to trivialize them

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

hbag posted:

that was actually a warning lol

you’ll be 32 and wondering where your life went pretty quickly

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i have no idea how i’ve managed to avoid having a real job but i’m extremely grateful

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I avoid having a real job every day by being a failure of an employee :cool:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

as the only american working for this canadian company, let me be the first to wish you all a happy victoria day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
work sucks. learn to steal from your employer