Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

porfiria posted:

I’m just glad the OJ trial isn’t happening now it would literally trigger Civil War 2.

Broncos are available again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I don't know and I don't really give a poo poo about the nuances of Johnny Depp and Amber Heard's relationship.

What I think is concerning to me is this: As much as some people use the supposed corpse of MeToo as a rhetorical prop and as much as there are longlasting issues of sexual assault, abuse, and harassment not just in Hollywood, but in every aspect of our society-- I think we have seen a shift in how we view these issues. Because the way it used to be was that we did not see the victims of abuse, harassment, and assault as a huge percentage of our population. We treated it as something that happens rarely, and when it came out that someone in power was involved, well it was an issue of he said, she said, not emblematic of a broader social issue. And while we're to much closer to solving the problem, we have come a long ways in at least naming the problem.

And the fear I have is when people apply the rhetoric and the view of sexual violence as drama broadly to cases of abuse, harassment, and assault.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 20:17 on May 21, 2022

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

pentyne posted:

Hilary Clinton is a great example if you look at her media portrayal in the 90s. She was tarred as a bitch and a shrew nonstop and told to keep her mouth shut while Bill was running for office.

Hillary Clinton also called all of Bill's accusers trailer trash and tried to ruin their lives, so it's not like she should have been held up as a feminist icon then either.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

We could compare Amber Heard to Hillary Clinton, but Monica Lewinsky might be a more accurate comparison

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Lewinsky was even pre social media, this poo poo's been going on forever.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The way that Jay Leno treated Minica Lewinsky....gently caress that guy forever

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Shageletic posted:

I know Leno was particularly bad, but was there anybody in mainstream media that actually talked about her as a victim of sexual assault instead of a punchline or whore?

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Shageletic posted:

Jay Leno was/is absolutely vicious about sinking in on any female abuse victim. He was utterly disgusting to Pam Anderson when her tape leaked too.

This isn't to excuse other late night hosts, many of whom also made women the punchline, but Leno would absolutely beat that dead horse well past its expiry.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can someone explain to me the legal reason why the heard/Depp court stuff is televised?

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Google Butt posted:

can someone explain to me the legal reason why the heard/Depp court stuff is televised?

It's just kinda fine to video court proceedings and present them to the public in a bunch of places in America. Ever hear of a man named OJ?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

It's clear that Depp has 'won' based on public opinion, but is the legal case itself in any danger of prevailing? Because it sounds extremely terrible if simply coming forward as a victim might count as 'defamation', regardless of the ongoing debate over what abuse actually occurred.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

It’s a civic case so cameras are allowed, iirc.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
It varies by state but mostly cameras are allowed by default. One of the sides can request it or the judge can order it sealed but I doubt anyone involved wants less camera time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1528436781103841280
:irony:
The article mentions that he's had problems casting the movie as Hollywood actors have started to shun him.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
No, I'm pretty sure "a crime" is "drugging and raping a 13 year old girl".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The article mentions that he's had problems casting the movie as Hollywood actors have started to shun him.

Oh no the pedophile rapist who escaped captivity and went on to a long successful career where everyone worshipped him now merely gets to enjoy his obscene amount of wealth instead of also having everyone lining up to tell him he was such a good director he earned a child rape or two. Alexa, play the world's smallest violin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

muscles like this! posted:

Have actors finally started to turn against him? I’d be glad to see it. It’s been stunning how long major, and I mean MAJOR, actors have defended a man who anally raped a child. Like, defended him on stage at the Oscars. And no one even argues if he did it. It’s really confusing.

Forget the Will Smith slap. That poo poo already ruined the “glamour” of the Oscars for me.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Have actors finally started to turn against him? I’d be glad to see it. It’s been stunning how long major, and I mean MAJOR, actors have defended a man who anally raped a child. Like, defended him on stage at the Oscars. And no one even argues if he did it. It’s really confusing.

Forget the Will Smith slap. That poo poo already ruined the “glamour” of the Oscars for me.

Plenty of people are probably still perfectly fine with the child rapist, they just don’t want the backlash for working with one. Same with Woody Allen, you’re guaranteed to get some heat for being in one of their movies nowadays.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
"it wasn't 'rape' rape"
-Whoopi Goldberg

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Alan Smithee posted:

"it wasn't 'rape' rape"
-Whoopi Goldberg

People should shout that at her in public for the rest of her life. gently caress, have it carved onto her grave stone too. What the gently caress other kind of rape is there, you loving turd.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1528034590929178626?s=20&t=IL4hOm9751gtKJZUzTvMwQ

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Is the reason money?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
The Polanski thing fascinates me. Before wide-scale internet, most people simply didn’t know what happened; they’d just know what they heard from friends. Even if they were well-informed, anything not in the papers THAT WEEK may as well have never happened since you couldn’t research it without going to the library and looking at microfiche of old newspapers. In that environment, people with money, and interest in making more, can push the dialogue anyplace.

It’s also about the narrative that people carry. We’re all narrative driven, like it or not. The murder of his wife was the story of the decade. People remember that and had sympathy for him, and kept the narrative where he was sympathetic until, due to the Internet, the reality of the story became so clear and so well repeated that they couldn’t keep that narrative anymore.

I remember in high school I was basically told it wasn’t “rape” rape. I didn’t know, didn’t have the internet, and was probably only 14 or 15 myself, so a 13-year-old girl seemed like she had a lot more agency.

emo-ignorance
Jun 12, 2020

Amber Heard's witnesses have begun corroborating her story. See court recaps here and here. Not only did he brutalize Amber, but he apparently chased her friend's fiance around their penthouse?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Remulak posted:

The Polanski thing fascinates me. Before wide-scale internet, most people simply didn’t know what happened; they’d just know what they heard from friends. Even if they were well-informed, anything not in the papers THAT WEEK may as well have never happened since you couldn’t research it without going to the library and looking at microfiche of old newspapers. In that environment, people with money, and interest in making more, can push the dialogue anyplace.

It’s also about the narrative that people carry. We’re all narrative driven, like it or not. The murder of his wife was the story of the decade. People remember that and had sympathy for him, and kept the narrative where he was sympathetic until, due to the Internet, the reality of the story became so clear and so well repeated that they couldn’t keep that narrative anymore.

Yes, it reminds me of the odd dichotomy with people who only trusted stuff in books/papers and hated the Internet as a source for anything. And the notion that if it was published in a book/newspaper it was 100% factual. That mindset has probably died down a lot now but it was really prevalent in the 1990s. Bizarrely, some with that mentality have done a 180° and now believe 100% of their Facebook news feed.

I can only imagine how much of the last 25 years would've been suppressed if left up to a few billionaires running a handful of TV stations and newspapers.

Somewhat relatedly the current narrative being pushed by some is that Musk is a victim being smeared by Twitter execs because he's "special needs" and a Republican now.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 23, 2022

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Zogo posted:

Somewhat relatedly the current narrative being pushed by some is that Musk is a victim being smeared by Twitter execs because he's "special needs" and a Republican now.

The paper thin defense of that being he said that to literally get ahead of the story when he was called to comment about it.

It's is insane that in ~25 years children went from being told "you can't trust websites for accurate information" to literal cults springing up in the US because of what people post on free websites.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!

emo-ignorance posted:

Amber Heard's witnesses have begun corroborating her story. See court recaps here and here. Not only did he brutalize Amber, but he apparently chased her friend's fiance around their penthouse?

Yeah but did Depp’s lawyer DESTROY their claims on redirect?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

thrawn527 posted:

Within the last fiveish years there was some kind of letter signed by a whole long list of big name actors and film makers in support of Roman Polanksi. People turning their back on him after all these years is 100% a matter of optics rather than every single one of those people doing a complete heel turn. It's like Remulak was saying, absolutely everyone knows what happened now. No one wants to go near him post-Me Too.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
that would be a face turn i think

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
https://consequence.net/2022/05/courtney-love-johnny-depp-cpr-1995-overdose/

Kicking hornets nests

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Reminder that Courtney Love was a friend and enabler of the 2000s PUA movement led by Erik “Mystery” von Markovic and Neil Strauss

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I was watching Better Call Saul and they still have that thing hosted by Chris Hardwick after the show and that's infuriating. He's just a boring white loser it wouldn't have been hard to replace him but I guess he's in that sweet spot where he's rich enough to pull some hosed up poo poo and get away with it for a while but not famous enough for people to give a poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

CPL593H posted:

I was watching Better Call Saul and they still have that thing hosted by Chris Hardwick after the show and that's infuriating. He's just a boring white loser it wouldn't have been hard to replace him but I guess he's in that sweet spot where he's rich enough to pull some hosed up poo poo and get away with it for a while but not famous enough for people to give a poo poo.

lol didn't they literally bring in the Pinkertons to "investigate the allegations" and--surprise, surprise--he was cleared?

(don't look up who his wife is)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LesterGroans posted:

lol didn't they literally bring in the Pinkertons to "investigate the allegations" and--surprise, surprise--he was cleared?

(don't look up who his wife is)

Oh I know he's married to a Hearst. I just hate that he won't go away. He's the epitome of white cishet men just getting everything handed to them for nothing. He has no talent of any sort and contributes nothing to entertainment. He just makes lovely podcasts and sits next to actually talented people and asks them boring questions. He's such a worthless nobody. I couldn't stand him before he was outed as an abuser. But now I outright hate him.

Just found this on his wikipedia page

quote:

Hardwick has said his influences include Steve Martin, George Carlin, Richard Pryor, Sam Kinison, Rodney Dangerfield, Bill Hicks, Emo Philips, and Bill Cosby.

edit 2: Sam Kinison wasn't exactly a feminist either.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 24, 2022

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Hardwick is annoying and bland but AMC retained outside lawyers to investigate and the podcast company did a separate investigation and both came back clean. What’s missing from the picture that makes him guilty and getting away with it?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The lawyers were linked to his wife's family and as soon as he got back, this happened, a mass walkout or quitting of female staff on Talking Dead. Absolutely doesn't scream "guy who the ladies find pleasant to work with".

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

AlternateAccount posted:

Hardwick is annoying and bland but AMC retained outside lawyers to investigate and the podcast company did a separate investigation and both came back clean. What’s missing from the picture that makes him guilty and getting away with it?

I'm pretty sure his accuser didn't cooperate with any investigation, so I'm not sure how they could clear him in any way.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Dykstra didn't name Hardwick because she didn't want to. She didn't cooperate with the investigation by AMC either because she wanted to move on with her life. It was the media that claimed it was him and it was twitter that went after his head going directly against the victims wishes.

So unless someone else has come forward I don't think it's appropriate to continue to demand AMC fire him regardless of how boring you think he is.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

edit: Eh, never mind.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:12 on May 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
The Chris Hardwick thing was gross but there was way more assumption and Twitter chat then any actual accusations. Also it was more of the gross Aziz stuff where he's being an horny insensitive rear end in a top hat but ~technically~ not being abusive.