Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

hbag posted:

that is by far the most piss-poor response yet

"dont worry you get used to wasting 5/7ths of your life"

their response really does explain a lot about most adults

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

most adults are trapped in a crushing grind that gives them little time for being a self actualized person?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PokeJoe posted:

most adults are trapped in a crushing grind that gives them little time for being a self actualized person?

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
living and working with others in the real world is a horrendous, whirling abyss of burning sulfurous feces, but once you're in it, you get callouses that all you to endure it. think if it as gaining xp by fighting monsters.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

RokosCockatrice posted:

living and working with others in the real world is a horrendous, whirling abyss of burning sulfurous feces, but once you're in it, you get callouses that all you to endure it. think if it as gaining xp by fighting monsters.

but you'll never be strong enough to kill god

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

cjs: the second of the two people they hired to replace me starts today. good luck to them with having to deal with my 10 years of bullshit as it unravels after next week.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

RokosCockatrice posted:

you just sound like you've given up lmao

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

unfortunately, you will understand when you're older, and I'm sorry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
popcorn emoji

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this is probably one of the more depressing things I’ve seen on a forum

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I wish when I was hbag’s age someone would have given me the brutal truth instead of the hyped up bullshit spiel tbh

I would have wasted less time on things that didn’t or wouldn’t’ve worked

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

it would make you think, if you had enough energy and time to think

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Eh, it's not all bad. You learn to appreciate the little things, plus financial security in and of itself does solve a whole fuckload of other stressors you could be having. Having a team you get along with is a big help as well, makes it feel like less of a grind. I just know this is basically the only thing that I can do that I won't actively hate, and I actually enjoy the challenges and puzzles most of the time. I'm still pretty young though, so I'm just hoping that the spark stays with me as long as possible.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its got its up and downs and life isnt even close to fair, the higher paying jobs often have more ups

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Silver Alicorn posted:

work sucks. learn to steal from your employer

:yeah:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
all the work stuff is true but the main thing i wish i knew when i was younger was that when you gently caress up at work, nobody gives a poo poo at all

i once accidentally shorted out a microcontroller dev kit during an internship and i was so ashamed and scared that i was going to get in huge trouble and it turned out nobody cared at all, and they never do and never will. So stressing about work is a huge waste of time as long as you're not a doctor or something where failures can actually harm human beings

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

Corla Plankun posted:

all the work stuff is true but the main thing i wish i knew when i was younger was that when you gently caress up at work, nobody gives a poo poo at all

i once accidentally shorted out a microcontroller dev kit during an internship and i was so ashamed and scared that i was going to get in huge trouble and it turned out nobody cared at all, and they never do and never will. So stressing about work is a huge waste of time as long as you're not a doctor or something where failures can actually harm human beings

a good manager will treat that cost as "training" because i bet you were more careful with the second dev kit

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I'm always watching as my coworker who's been there for thirty years constantly fucks up with no consequences and yet still worry that I'll be "found out" and fired. Meanwhile, I wish they'd fire me. My brain is stupid.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, if you work at a well funded place w good revenue they'll fuckin lavish good severance on you and you can have funemployment

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

lamports a good man whyd they have to do him like this

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

where did you find that picture of hbag after their first week of work

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, if you work at a well funded place w good revenue they'll fuckin lavish good severance on you and you can have funemployment

I would do terrible things for a fat severance package

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
work in figgieland for figgie jobs?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Asleep Style posted:

I would do terrible things for a fat severance package

CEO material, then!

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

hbag posted:

you just sound like you've given up lmao

This is the only advice that ever stuck with me when I had given up:

https://imgur.com/a/FwSA5

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

im not moving to a figgieland because there are things i value more than money

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

RokosCockatrice posted:

This is the only advice that ever stuck with me when I had given up:

https://imgur.com/a/FwSA5

epic image embed fail

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hbag posted:

im not moving to a figgieland because there are things i value more than money

yeah i know

be advised that retirement really is a financial state, and not a fact of life, tho

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

when i was a kid my parents jumped up and down on the "do something you love" thing. go to college, don't work in a factory, study your weirdo humanities stuff if that's what you love.

it turns out that doing what you love 40 hours a week will turn it into something you don't love. i am very glad to have an easier job and not work in a factory and make good money, but where that money gets me is basically where my parents were with their dual skilled blue collar incomes almost 40 years ago: mortgaging a house, reasonably comfortable, can't go crazy with money but don't have to worry about it either if we're smart with spending. the main difference is that i'm doing this in california. other than that, it's basically the same

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
turning your passion into a job is a great way to kill that passion.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

turning your passion into a job is a great way to kill that passion.

and a great way to earn money?

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Yeah doing what you love for a living requires a lot of compartmentalization to avoid growing to loving despise it over time. Haven't even put in an hour on the game I've been making since I started this gig, need to make some time to get back into that. This is pretty much the only thing Ive ever wanted to do since I was a kid though, so I try to make it work. Definitely have wrestled with spells of burnout though, although every time it's been other things in my life being hosed up that just manifested itself as professional burnout.

I think I was like, 3 or 4 playing a video game and someone explained to me that it all worked because of lines of instructions someone wrote and the idea that you could make something like that just struck me as the most amazing thing I'd ever heard. And that was that.

InternetOfTwinks fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 23, 2022

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

fart simpson posted:

and a great way to earn money?

not usually, no.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

when i grow up im going to be a cjs poster

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

cjs: loving monday

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

fart simpson posted:

when i grow up im going to be a cjs poster

ok hbag

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

yeah the allure of a magic intersection between something you liked doing as a teenager and a reasonable sounding job is why there are so many poor teachers and game developers who have had the piss abused out of them their entire lives.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Sorry, didn't mean to get sentimental. Just, love me some computer still. Don't get me wrong, I'm jaded about aspects of the business, but when it's good it still gives me a really amazing sense of satisfaction to do this. Really glad to be working a gig where I can take pride in my work again.

And yeah, that's why I don't work in games. It's going to be a hell gig until developers unionize which lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

working 30 hours a week instead of 40+ is so much better. still kind of my passion, so bleeds into other time a touch, but up and leaving the office at 3:30 is enough to make life a lot better.