Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I leave the office at 3:30 but I go in at 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I'm digging this gig for being cool with going the other way, I start at like 10 and work till 6 or 7. My brain doesn't fully start firing until the afternoon anyways and the extra sleep in the morning helps a ton. Can't seem to fall asleep for poo poo until after around midnight regardless of what I do for my sleep hygiene so it works.

I think my ideal would be doing remote for a west coast place and working like noon-8 local time to be honest.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I work remote for a company 3 time zones ahead of me.

I'm up and "working" at 6 am, but am functionally done by 2pm if not actually done earlier.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah im an early bird at this job now. used to roll out of bed at 9:59 to hit the first meeting, now i am at it at 7am and get done around 4 or 5. the business cycle is weird as most of our big money is still being made in australia

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I’m useless after about 12:00

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My job is stupid and I resent that but I "work" a few hours a day and get paid a silly amount of money for it. Thinking of taking another fake sick day today, not like they can do anything about it

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rotor posted:

idk why people use eclipse any more. Like back in 2005 ok maybe you're broke and cant afford intellij but in 2022 visual studio exists so idk why anyone is still using eclipse.

eclipse is the only IDE that can index the kernel. If you aren’t writing kernel code, or macos/windows specific code, then you should use Jetbrains products.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i work at 5 and am done by 1 on paper, though in practice i'm done by 10

could stand to make more money though

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m useless after about 8am

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My foster dog gets me up around sunrise (about 5:30 today) by putting his big slobbery face right up to mine and waiting

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

yeah im an early bird at this job now. used to roll out of bed at 9:59 to hit the first meeting, now i am at it at 7am and get done around 4 or 5. the business cycle is weird as most of our big money is still being made in australia
shouldn’t you be getting off at 2 or 3 if you’re starting that early?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i start at about 9:30 and im done at 6. who’s writing all this in the spreadsheet btw

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

shouldn’t you be getting off at 2 or 3 if you’re starting that early?

what can i say. startup lyfe. its fine im not hosed up about it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Fortaleza posted:

My foster dog gets me up around sunrise (about 5:30 today) by putting his big slobbery face right up to mine and waiting

my dog wakes up around 1030, comes downstairs to eat and do his business, then falls asleep on his downstairs bed while watching the birds on the feeder

the dream life tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my wife is working basically 10 to 10 now at this new job. the pay is good but she’s already thinking about quitting and she just started a month ago

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

haha I guess if I was making literal racks I’d be more enthused too

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

this appears to be the only thing i beat you at, since i wake up at around 4ish

definitely recommend early working if you're able to handle it. the quiet outside (from teams and email, too) is really conducive to just banging out everything you need to do for the day in an hour or two and then you can coast to the rest of the day in mild-to-moderate annoyance as everyone else logs in

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Jonny 290 posted:

linkedin got to 10 figures without anyone working more than a 9-5 except for outages

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

dioxazine posted:

this appears to be the only thing i beat you at, since i wake up at around 4ish

definitely recommend early working if you're able to handle it. the quiet outside (from teams and email, too) is really conducive to just banging out everything you need to do for the day in an hour or two and then you can coast to the rest of the day in mild-to-moderate annoyance as everyone else logs in

i can’t do this because 65% of my job is meetings

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bob dobbs is dead posted:

linkedin got to 10 figures without anyone working more than a 9-5 except for outages

Okay

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

theres a work-too-much startupland and there's a 9-5-and-laugh-all-the-way-to-the-bank startupland out there, is my point

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Guess I chose poorly then. thx 4 ur insight

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the walton children got to 10 figures without any of them working more than zero hours

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i can’t do this because 65% of my job is meetings

i think about 25% of mine is, i have no real interest in increasing it.. but i think i might have to give up on these hours if i can't get them. i've decided to try to hop within the next two months

management is insisting that we come back into the office 3 days a week now that covid is over! and that sounds like a good enough reason to find a permanently remote job even if i have to sacrifice my comfy work hours

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Fortaleza posted:

He's a good boi

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I pretty much only work OT if it's something where I'm in the zone on a problem and I know it's going to be a pain in the rear end to get back in the groove tomorrow if I stop at the point I'm at. Or if I'm avoiding something in my personal life but that's a whole other issue. Probably doesn't hurt if my managers notice I'm online later than my coworkers anyhow. Seems to be a good culture about respecting people's work life balance which kicks rear end.

I also find it's a lot easier to end up working a bit later when you don't have a 45 minute drive ahead of you that's weighing on your mind. gently caress I'm glad I'm not commuting anymore.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Jonny 290 posted:

Setting a precedent that you don't value work life balance lmao.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!
i went into the office last week and it was great - completely deserted and peaceful. I'm gonna go in more this week.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i only got to work from home for 3-4 weeks since february 2020, because covid actually has been over around these parts

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FlapYoJacks posted:

i can handle a year or two of 9-10 hour days if it accelerates my retirement from tech by four years, call that a work-life balance. I aint got nothin goin on outside of work anyways.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 52 minutes!

FlapYoJacks posted:

we all trade time for money and there is no need to make this weak attempt at shaming someone because they want to trade more of their time for money than you do at this stage of your lives.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

we all trade time for money and there is no need to make this weak attempt at shaming someone because they want to trade more of their time for money than you do at this stage of your lives.

my eventual goal is to flip this equation

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

fart simpson posted:

i only got to work from home for 3-4 weeks since february 2020, because covid actually has been over around these parts

you dont have any friends in shanghai?

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

i went into the office last week and it was great - completely deserted and peaceful. I'm gonna go in more this week.

it honestly wasn't terrible in q1/2 2021 when they wanted 1 or 2 people on-site just in case of infra issues and had let go of our entire support team

then they started bringing office workers back and we had three outbreaks outside of the tech department and HR tried to cover up two of the outbreaks and i was done going into the office and told my boss as much

fart simpson posted:

that's because you have a real government that cares about the well-being of its people

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fart simpson posted:

the walton children got to 10 figures without any of them working more than zero hours

i’m gonna grow up to be a walton

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

you dont have any friends in shanghai?

not really anymore, the friends i had in shanghai all left in the past 3-4 years. now what i have is some not very close acquaintances

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

My office has pretty effectively established 1 day a month in the office. Everyone goes for a luxurious paid lunch and stops working at like 3 when the sales head starts wandering around with a bottle of scotch

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
uhh

i still have friends in shanghai

they werent doing so well two months ago

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA