Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
having a latte, reading about financial crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Chris Knight posted:

having a latte, reading about financial crimes

How to do them?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
time for an evening americano

roasted a couple of days ago, so good

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I haven’t drank caffeine in years but I’ve been dragging lately and craving for espresso.

Thinking of picking up an Aeropress and maybe a decent enough grinder. What’s the best way to get back into it without breaking the bank.

I also love and miss Irish Coffee.

i mean that's pretty good, probably. there's also the mokapots and pourovers (variable strength, though different from espresso) all of which are pretty cheap (or you could do all of them and enjoy lots of kinds of coffee~~)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Rudest Buddhist posted:

I haven’t drank caffeine in years but I’ve been dragging lately and craving for espresso.

Thinking of picking up an Aeropress and maybe a decent enough grinder. What’s the best way to get back into it without breaking the bank.

I also love and miss Irish Coffee.

probably better off with a cheaper breville machine than an aeropress imo if you really want espresso

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
oh man this mokapot looks cool as hell

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

akadajet posted:

probably better off with a cheaper breville machine than an aeropress imo if you really want espresso

need to spend more on an espresso-capable grinder to go with tho not a bad idea depending on price range

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mediaphage posted:

need to spend more on an espresso-capable grinder to go with tho not a bad idea depending on price range

i just looked and they are way more expensive than I thought for the base models lol

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
baratza encore?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Rudest Buddhist posted:

oh man this mokapot looks cool as hell

The moka makes an excellent coffee and doesnt take up heaps of space. Its a solid option. I used one for years

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

Fun Shoe
bialetti moka express + baratza encore. I think that’s the budget move.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Rudest Buddhist posted:

bialetti moka express + baratza encore. I think that’s the budget move.

yeah i think thats not a bad way to go tbh

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im drinking lovely old preground coffee because i haven’t bought any beans in weeks

still ok

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i started using a (blade) spice grinder for my pourover instead of my hand grinder or the encore that my neighbor broke a while back and it actually seems way better

im questioning everything about burr grinder hype now

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

time for coffee (good) so that i can face the day (bad)

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Corla Plankun posted:

i started using a (blade) spice grinder for my pourover instead of my hand grinder or the encore that my neighbor broke a while back and it actually seems way better

it's all about what you like so if it's good to you, that's all that matters

one thing thats nice about (deece) burr grinders is that you can get a good particle size distribution, so you don't have too many fines or too large grinds, etc. all in the same cup. if you're doing a blade grinder to a moderately coarse pourover grind it's probably less noticeable tbh.

a good grinder is most important for getting good espresso, imo, cheap grinders are less of a deal for other preps

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

got a bean variety pack from my normal roaster. sippin' now. enjoyin'

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
gettin an americano at the shoppe

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Corla Plankun posted:

did baratza refurbish it? they’re pretty finicky to get back to grinding properly if it’s out of whack. there are youtubes about disassembling it and moving a set screw a few mms. everything that’s not a burr is plastic and a little tab breaking off could mean enough flex that the grind is thrown off.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Making some bean water

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How often do y'all clean out grinders?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have never cleaned my grinder

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
definitely open to folks thoughts and ideas on an espresso machine, where i can literally pour the whole beans in on one end and get a nice espresso (or americano, or capp, or whatevs) on the other end. think im in the market for one rn

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

maybe like 4 times a year

MindSet
Dec 21, 2008

If this goes badly, and I make a crater, I want it named after me!
I give it a good brushing when i get new beans. I actually take it apart maybe once or twice a year

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

my old blade one i'd clean ~quarterly, same for my hand grinder

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Agile Vector posted:

my old blade one i'd clean ~quarterly, same for my hand grinder

about same here

as for a full machine, i dunno.. i just make yuenyang with any happy accidents (extras and leftovers) in the afternoon

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have never cleaned my grinder

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

yippee cahier posted:

did baratza refurbish it? they’re pretty finicky to get back to grinding properly if it’s out of whack. there are youtubes about disassembling it and moving a set screw a few mms. everything that’s not a burr is plastic and a little tab breaking off could mean enough flex that the grind is thrown off.

i think it was originally a refurb baratza but then my neighbor borrowed it (and appears to have put wet coffee beans through it??? there was a hard cake of bean mud on the inside when she returned it and it didn't work anymore) and now it grinds so badly that there's dust and big 2mm^2 chunks of beans in the same grind.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

protip for anyone else with neighbors: If they say their grinder broke and need to borrow one, ask them how it broke first because they might break yorn

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Every couple of weeks i'll tap my grinder and a bunch of stale grounds will fall out.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Every couple of weeks i'll tap my grinder and a bunch of stale grounds will fall out.

free beans baby

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that's a bonus coffee

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Lady Radia posted:

definitely open to folks thoughts and ideas on an espresso machine, where i can literally pour the whole beans in on one end and get a nice espresso (or americano, or capp, or whatevs) on the other end. think im in the market for one rn

the word you’re looking for is superautomatic

imo they’re all reasonably about the same in terms of what you get, some fancy~~ models can actually do both

i’ve used brevilles, gaggias, phillips/saecos, etc and they all made deece cuppa. friend has a deli fbi and it was fine too

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AnimeIsTrash posted:

he'll yeah grinder resin

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

he'll yeah grinder resin

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

before coffee was legal sometimes all you could do was scrape the grinder for scraps. In desperate times I'd even crack open an old mug and scrape out the inside

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

outlaw coffee. coffee for outlaws

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

AnimeIsTrash posted:

that's the profit!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/lookabee83/status/1528763398804193281

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'