Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m useless after about 12:00

same but before

rotor posted:

i went into the office last week and it was great - completely deserted and peaceful. I'm gonna go in more this week.

i gotta drag myself to it but i kinda like??? being in the office two days a week?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I want to get a cushy job downtown, I like downtown

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hbag become the next unibomber challenge

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Jonny 290 posted:

i can handle a year or two of 9-10 hour days if it accelerates my retirement from tech by four years, call that a work-life balance. I aint got nothin goin on outside of work anyways.

don't let him flap your jacks

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
they keep saying we’re going to hybrid work but that keeps getting pushed back due to covid never ending. I still have to come in every day though

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

A hedge fund has a fully remote job posting labeled as in Portland with a salary band of $250k-$650k, if I were to sell my soul I'm pretty sure the price it'd go for is in there somewhere

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
my job environment is okay and the work is morally positive, but i don't get paid very much so that's the tradeoff

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

they keep saying we’re going to hybrid work but that keeps getting pushed back due to covid never ending. I still have to come in every day though

:pwn:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
cjs: So incredibly bored an hour into the week and my wrists are already feeling sore

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I work in an empty office and sometimes someone brings a laptop/desktop in for repair. it’s not the worst gig

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

does anyone know how to cope with crushing loneliness

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Silver Alicorn posted:

have u tried finding a partner

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Sorry, didn't mean to get sentimental. Just, love me some computer still. Don't get me wrong, I'm jaded about aspects of the business, but when it's good it still gives me a really amazing sense of satisfaction to do this. Really glad to be working a gig where I can take pride in my work again.
nah, go for it. It can't all be wall to wall cranky old farts

graph posted:

same but before
same but both

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

You could try fostering animals.

Last time I worked in an entirely empty office and got crushing loneliness I wound up moving to california, can't say I recommend it

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Silver Alicorn posted:

no ;_;

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

bump_fn posted:

hbag become the next unibomber challenge

the next generation grows up so fast

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

fart simpson posted:

have u tried finding a partner

she can’t come to work with me every day

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Silver Alicorn posted:

i like to post on internet forums

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

You could try fostering animals.

Last time I worked in an entirely empty office and got crushing loneliness I wound up moving to california, can't say I recommend it

i've been musing about selling and moving into cascadia. to be honest, it might just be better to throw in the towel altogether and leave north america but it's a little hard finding NA figgies that are willing to let me work from taiwan or thailand

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

dioxazine posted:

i've been musing about selling and moving into cascadia. to be honest, it might just be better to throw in the towel altogether and leave north america but it's a little hard finding NA figgies that are willing to let me work from taiwan or thailand

I've got an old colleague that just hops the globe constantly and works remote, currently in Thailand. Not exactly legal I don't think

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I think he's got Miami as his home base

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

I've got an old colleague that just hops the globe constantly and works remote, currently in Thailand. Not exactly legal I don't think

used to work for a startup that embraced remote really heavily. every single american doing the international nomad thing did so illegally on tourist visas. fairly certain at least one got a kickban from a southern european country over it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Silver Alicorn posted:

Cultivating a parasocial relationship with someone helps relieve some of it till you find a real social.

But uh... Don't be wierd when you do it. It's not a real relationship, it is a (oh goodness this sounds harsh) product that you purchase. Well, not purchase, but bid for idk it's wierd but #1 thing to remember is "don't be wierd".

Here's an explainer on someone who is being wierd in a parasocial relationship. Also the video maker is also wierd, but on the lower bounds of wierd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7PQBt5TMc

Now I'm gonna go see the reaction by 39daph to this exact video. It got clipped and uploaded to YouTube yesterday. I'm not being wierd. That should tell you how wierd of a space this is.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

used to work for a startup that embraced remote really heavily. every single american doing the international nomad thing did so illegally on tourist visas. fairly certain at least one got a kickban from a southern european country over it.

Guy I mentioned is a German national and doesn't have any debt or anything and specializes in mobile dev. I think he works for a bit and saves then fucks off for a while to cheap places without actually working

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Semi related question, how the hell do you meet people as an adult? I've got a decent friend group with my high school buddies, but they are all hundreds of miles away which imposes some limitations. Recovered alcoholic, so bars aren't the best idea, but that seems to be where most adults meet each other from what I've seen.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Semi related question, how the hell do you meet people as an adult? I've got a decent friend group with my high school buddies, but they are all hundreds of miles away which imposes some limitations. Recovered alcoholic, so bars aren't the best idea, but that seems to be where most adults meet each other from what I've seen.

board games. start frequenting your local game shop.

feel free to substitute in pretty much any hobby, and the frequent gathering places for said hobby

rotor
Jun 11, 2001
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

fart simpson posted:

my eventual goal is to flip this equation

there is likewise no need to make a weak attempt at shaming someone because they want to trade less of their time for money, but i figured this was a given here in yospos

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Silver Alicorn posted:

:justpost:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I've been cripplingly unemployed and now im on a fat severance pretirement and I gotta say having money is a lot better than not having it. It really does solve a good 80% or more of life's problems

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah, it doesn't buy happiness but it sure as gently caress keeps unhappiness away real well.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m postin’

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m postin’

nice

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Fortaleza posted:

a mate at circleCI has been doing the same, but i think legally. he's not set foot in NA for the last ten years and has worked exclusively out of SEA

though i suppose if you work at circleCI you can basically do whatever you want

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Yeah, it doesn't buy happiness but it sure as gently caress keeps unhappiness away real well.

you can buy a heckin sailboat or a bunch of beer and weed

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

you can buy a heckin sailboat or a bunch of beer and weed

or a sailboat made of beer and weed

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yowza now we're cooking with gas :eyepop:

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

bazinger!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

My in laws sold their house and bought a boat that they live on in Puerto Rico. But they just had to dry dock it for the summer because it's uninsurable during hurricane season.owned

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

dioxazine posted:

for some reason I thought you lived in Hong Kong or Shanghai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

Cultivating a parasocial relationship with someone

Don't be wierd when you do it

bad news op