Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
cjs: need to refactor thing, procrastinating instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

for some reason I thought you lived in Hong Kong or Shanghai

i can understand cantonese, but i can't really speak it well. if i had the choice of working on the mainland, it would probably be in suzhou or heilongjiang

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Suzhou's on my list of places to visit in China someday. Wanna see those canals and gardens

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
corn jardin status:

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

rotor posted:

we all trade time for money and there is no need to make this weak attempt at shaming someone because they want to trade more of their time for money than you do at this stage of your lives.

It's not a weak attempt. If you aren't salaried, go for it I guess. If you are, then you are working extra for free. :shrug:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FlapYoJacks posted:

It's not a weak attempt. If you aren't salaried, go for it I guess. If you are, then you are working extra for free. :shrug:

but that toilet paper^W^W^Wthose options might be worth gently caress-you money one day if i just dance hard enough for the vc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yes, that's literally how pre-IPO tech companies operate

just lmao

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

Yes, that's literally how pre-IPO tech companies operate

just lmao

if you're a chump, sure

you get a tiny slice of the pie if you bust rear end

you get a healthy slice of the pie if you slack off and get high with the c-suite

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hbag posted:

is this the rest of my life
getting up at awful times just to go to work and then go home exhausted five days a loving week, forever
is this seriously loving it

I burned out and now I get paid reasonably well, work 6 hour days (max 24 hrs a week) for a good cause, have 35 days off per year, and am going to EMF Camp for free because work is paying for it

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Like you know if you accept a tiny pay cut you can work less and for a cause that you agree with right

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

nudgenudgetilt posted:

if you're a chump, sure

you get a tiny slice of the pie if you bust rear end

you get a healthy slice of the pie if you slack off and get high with the c-suite

I know how all of this works!

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a fuckoff huge paycut, is the rub

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the real trick to computer based freedom is to get poverty brain as a young adult and then keep it when you stack the paper

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

me with computer paycheck: $10 for lunch is too much

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

PokeJoe posted:

me with computer paycheck: $10 for lunch is too much

agreed. all prices should be frozen at what they were when I was in college

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a fuckoff huge paycut, is the rub

truth. my move from startup to gov was a ~33% cut. with the edu I'm talking I'm looking at an *additional* 30-45% cut from the gov job (nevermind I've also taken a year and a half off since the gov job)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

PokeJoe posted:

the real trick to computer based freedom is to get poverty brain as a young adult and then keep it when you stack the paper

thats right

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I went to culvers the other day to get me and the missus some ice cream and it was like $15

I very explicitly remember my parents being shocked that ice cream for a family of four in Oslo in the late nineties or early naughties was the equivalent of 15€

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cjs I just wanna nap, man

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
lol at yosposters exploring existential philosophy

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

born on a buy you posted:

If we just brute force the answer to happiness it should come eventually

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The past few pages demonstrate the point of my meta-gimmick better than I ever could.

I'm an emotional mess who can't stop being annoying, getting wildly caught up in doubling down on points everyone else finds irrelevant, being wrong a lot and loudly, being boring as hell more often than not, and melting down constantly. It took me a lot of work and self-reflection to be this way.

Because I used to just suppress the misery and concentrate on working, waiting for a better day when I could do what I wanted to do. Except I'm now too disabled to work, and that better day is never coming. It's not that I can't shut up and be stoic. It's that it was turning my life into endless monotony filled with interchangeable days of vague misery where I couldn't allow myself to feel anything.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

The past few pages demonstrate the point of my meta-gimmick better than I ever could.

I'm an emotional mess who can't stop being annoying, getting wildly caught up in doubling down on points everyone else finds irrelevant, being wrong a lot and loudly, being boring as hell more often than not, and melting down constantly. It took me a lot of work and self-reflection to be this way.

Because I used to just suppress the misery and concentrate on working, waiting for a better day when I could do what I wanted to do. Except I'm now too disabled to work, and that better day is never coming. It's not that I can't shut up and be stoic. It's that it was turning my life into endless monotony filled with interchangeable days of vague misery where I couldn't allow myself to feel anything.

gently caress. seen to the core.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’m postin’

cjs: I’m postin’

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

We can't all drink the Texas tea

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

not sure listening to disturbed will help but tend to your own garden

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

alexandriao posted:

Like you know if you accept a tiny pay cut you can work less and for a cause that you agree with right

i mean idk where you're at but for me its a massive pay cut, like more than half

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

endlessmonotony posted:

i dont suppose there's any cogent answer to the question of what you want out of this subforum or 'gimmick', eh

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

rotor posted:

i mean idk where you're at but for me its a massive pay cut, like more than half

i went into computers because science paid like dogshit, like hell if im gonna take a paycut to try to do something i like again. madless lies down that path

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

i'm not claiming to understand it, but it seems pretty positive to me. we can be anything we want, because humans are free to choose their purpose. you think about the abstract idea of a table before you build one, it has a purpose before it exists. humans exist first and must find joy in creating our own purpose.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

gently caress doing something i like for a job, i just do what I hate for a job but just do less of it.

very few people want a programmer for 16hrs a week.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Yeah I do what I'm good at for 30-50 hours a week and am rewarded by getting to do what I like with piles of money for the rest of my time. Bonus, it feels good to do things you're good at, so it's not a bad life.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

the piles aren't huge but they beat the poo poo out of poor, miserable, broke roko from 2009 when I didn't work I'll tell you that.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'd love a part time computer job. I'll do 2 10 hour days a week for half salary

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

too bad those jobs don't exist and if they do you can't go to the dr

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

serious questionn do people have an obligation or a responsibility to contribute to society? I thought 'obviously, like, at least a little bit' but no joke I got shouted down for 3 solid days by several people who thought the answer was no no no no how dare you

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I think my answer would vary heavily depending on the definition of contributing we're using. There's ways to contribute to society that aren't working a job after all.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i'm not claiming to understand it, but it seems pretty positive to me. we can be anything we want, because humans are free to choose their purpose. you think about the abstract idea of a table before you build one, it has a purpose before it exists. humans exist first and must find joy in creating our own purpose.

seems right to me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you are obligated to pay taxes, which keeps the monopoly on violence the same

the trouble w not keepin the monopoly on violence the same is theres more violence, altho the current monopolists dole out great big helpings, double helpings for black dudes