Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I love it when recruiters exchange three emails to set up a 5 minute call to tell you they're going a different direction. better than being ghosted for sure, but I can't help but think there's a happy medium. oh well, at least a different way-less-ideal job is at the reference check/final interview stage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Did mock initial interview today, rated 10/10 would talk to me again. Now I just need to do it foreal. Very comfortable talking about myself. Buddy didn't do too well and he said he has to watch King's Speech over the weekend.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

just killed it on a final interview. fingers crossed for an offer next week.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

nudgenudgetilt posted:

just killed it on a final interview. fingers crossed for an offer next week.

same 🤝

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

good luck goons. :hai:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

developers having to be on call is kind of a red flag, right?

like if you say you care so much about uptime, you ought to have first responders spread over timezones and not some groggy dude at 4am, right?

i get the aspect dogfooding and personal responsibility, but more often than not i will not be able to build my stuff to the level of reliability needed so its unfair to ask me to support something i would not sign off on

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

4lokos basilisk posted:

like if you say you care so much about uptime, you ought to have first responders spread over timezones and not some groggy dude at 4am, right?

i get the aspect dogfooding and personal responsibility, but more often than not i will not be able to build my stuff to the level of reliability needed so its unfair to ask me to support something i would not sign off on

depends.

even if you have dedicated first line ops being paged, you need an escalation path.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

4lokos basilisk posted:

I'll be on call for sure, but you bet your rear end you'll be paying for every second of on call time.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I was only on call for one job and that was for a news app during a hurricane which I didn't think was that unreasonable

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
every job i've interviewed with that had an on call rotation has also had other bad smells that made me not want to work there so I think it is just a symptom of bad leadership

one of them had oncall and their only product was an internal reporting service for marketing and exec, lmfao if im going to bring that up outside of work hours, who cares

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i was on call for a couple of jobs but i was also responsible for programming the hooks that would cause me to get beeped.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

there's not a good reason to be on call unless you're support or whatever. Software shouldn't be so lovely that a dev needs to be at the beck and call of someone all the time and if it is the corporation is a terrible environment to work in

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

we forced you to make this in too tight a timeframe so it's a big piece of poo poo. now to force you on call to keep the sticks and glue from falling apart.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

imagine if any other engineering worked that way. civil engineer on call because the bridge keeps breaking and you have to go put some bricks back at 3am

please no real engineers tell me it works this way I want to live in ignorance

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

PokeJoe posted:

imagine if any other engineering worked that way. civil engineer on call because the bridge keeps breaking and you have to go put some bricks back at 3am

ya. busted infrastructure like water/sewer/steam/power lines are usually left til the next business day

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

real engineers dont usually do any implementation at all i dont think, its all design for them and there are no design emergencies outside of that one scene in apollo 13

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

real engineers dont usually do any implementation at all i dont think, its all design for them and there are no design emergencies outside of that one scene in apollo 13

the whole on-call engineering services industry would like a word with you

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nudgenudgetilt posted:

noo! stop informing me!!

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

every software engineering job I had ended up being specialized enough that the team of engineers working on given components were on-call for them.

The places that had a component where you were expected to operate a living system did take their responsibilities differently and there was a more interesting focus on instrumentation, tooling, and operability than the places that just threw the software over the fence to an ops team.

Also (now) as SRE it's a lot nicer to be on the front lines with engineers in the escalation path if things break. It does feel like it's easier to negotiate with product sides of the org when operational pains are taking engineering hours away from whatever is on the product roadmap as well.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

nudgenudgetilt posted:

weird! seems like the existence of this would have come up while i was doing an engineering undergrad but this is the first i've ever heard of it!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
recently had a former coworker who i was on good terms with reach out to me on linkedin asking if i was interested at a position at their new place. i emailed the CTO to get more info on the position and it sounds like i would be a perfect fit. they want to set up and interview and of course asked for a number. any suggestions of how to tactfully deflect/respond to that? particularly with the knowledge that 1) i currently have a stable job i don't mind 2) i have 15 years experience doing the exact type of work they want 3) i have a good recommendation from my former coworker. something more than the usual "i have faith $COMPANY can make a competitive offer based on my skillset and experience" to indicate that theyre guna have to go a bit farther to get me to switch

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 23, 2022

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kuvo posted:

"i have faith $COMPANY can make a competitive offer based on my skillset and experience"

this makes you sound like an asshat. don't ever say this.

either just say "i can't see the numbers working out, thanks though", or "i'm pretty happy with my current situation, but might reconsider for $fig"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i think company didnt say a number yet. if you're playing sayanumber chicken then thats perfectly reasonable

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
correct, no numbers from either side yet

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sorry, misunderstood.

i'd still argue it comes off a little pompus though. it sounds like the conversation thus far has has a very casual tone, i think this sounds out of place to me

i'd personally go with something like "it's still too early to know what a good salary would be for me in this role" or more likely throw out an over the top figure and follow it up with a "but I'm flexible depending on the situation"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

there's not a good reason to be on call unless you're support or whatever. Software shouldn't be so lovely that a dev needs to be at the beck and call of someone all the time and if it is the corporation is a terrible environment to work in

if nobody is paying for tight SLAs, sure I guess

PokeJoe posted:

if something hits a bridge enough that nothing is going to go over it how fast do you think it’ll be inspected?

how about pipelines, or power or anything else?

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
what the hell. if you write some lovely code you should be responsible for operating it. that’s the premise of the whole devops thing over the last decade. i don’t think i’ve worked a single job that didn’t have me go on some sort of oncall. also oncall doesn’t have to mean “wakes you up at 3am” answering the next day is a fine SLA for some teams

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Pie Colony posted:

what the hell. if you write some lovely code you should be responsible for operating it. that’s the premise of the whole devops thing over the last decade. i don’t think i’ve worked a single job that didn’t have me go on some sort of oncall. also oncall doesn’t have to mean “wakes you up at 3am” answering the next day is a fine SLA for some teams

yeah imo "on call" doesn't mean anything without knowing the specific SLA. i've been on teams where the "on-call" rotation was that each week one team member had an excuse to ignore their tickets when someone else in the company had some question or issue with the team's stuff. it only applied during normal working hours.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hobbesmaster posted:

if nobody is paying for tight SLAs, sure I guess

if something hits a bridge enough that nothing is going to go over it how fast do you think it’ll be inspected?

how about pipelines, or power or anything else?

do they call the guy who designed the pipeline or a totally separate entity

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

"on call" during working hours is just having a job

Pie Colony
Dec 8, 2006
I AM SUCH A FUCKUP THAT I CAN'T EVEN POST IN AN E/N THREAD I STARTED
oncall is more about who responds to failures (first) than when. although if they’re being upfront about it in the interview it probably means 24/7

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

do they call the guy who designed the pipeline or a totally separate entity

I guess that’s a bad example. for big stuff like that going down oil and gas has a tendency for everybody involved to be called out and stand around for $texas/hour because they’re losing, uh, an $emirate/hour

often the operator and designer are different entities in physical infrastructure this is not true as often in software

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

often the operator and designer are different entities in physical infrastructure this is not true as often in software

it's also worth mentioning that operator and designer doesn't map directly to technician and engineer either. technicians may be the first line of defense for operators, but when things go wrong engineers are called in to do the maths

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

4lokos basilisk posted:

lol no, developers should be on call for the code that they write

if it's code you're confident enough to deploy to production you should be confident that it'll run well enough that you can be paged for it

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
gently caress you if you expect someone else’s phone to be hooked up to receive calls for your lovely code

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

have y'all just only ever worked in one dev shops or???

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

am i being paid the money my code is making while it runs as i sleep?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Blinkz0rz posted:

lol no, developers should be on call for the code that they write

if it's code you're confident enough to deploy to production you should be confident that it'll run well enough that you can be paged for it

Hire QA and test poo poo before it gets deployed. Don't make devs write, test, and release code all themselves and then get mad when they don't also want to be on call for it too.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

our app teams are large enough and distributed enough for 24/7 coverage without having to have a dev on call

our operations teams are less lucky

doing internal platform work, I live in a grey area, and we technically have an on-call schedule but something has to be very very very wrong for one of us to get paged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
everywhere i've worked (huge techbro monstrosity, small tech, 4 person startup, etc) has had an expectation of being on call, but with 0 additional compensation, and 0 mention of it during hiring or when signing offers. it is garbage tier "your job owns your life" poo poo, and the "developers should be on call for the code that they write" attitude that proliferates this kind of stupidity is annoying. i wanted to smack a new hire once when he said "we're developers, so we're pretty much on call 24/7". if you are compensated for it, and it is made clear during hiring, then that's fine because at least you can make a choice about it prior to joining a company. but otherwise gently caress that.

it's one of the things that makes me very happy ive never been a backend or web developer. i'm a mobile dev and am on call like every 8th weekend or something. i dont even have pager duty installed, because a) gently caress that and b) it's not like i'm going to fix the issue (which is 99% a backend bug anyways) and get through app review on a saturday night.

thank you for reading my on call rant.