Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

RokosCockatrice posted:

serious questionn do people have an obligation or a responsibility to contribute to society? I thought 'obviously, like, at least a little bit' but no joke I got shouted down for 3 solid days by several people who thought the answer was no no no no how dare you

i think "working under capitalism" should not be conflated with "contributing to society"

do telemarketers make the world a better place?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

What about people who work as lobbyists for tax preparers? Are they contributing to society?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my work definitely doesn't contribute to society, but I do a little in my free time

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a fuckoff huge paycut, is the rub

Sure but it's tangibly worth it

Like I would be on a salary of 40k/yr but im on 28k (and boss is juggling numbers to see about a pay rise for everyone as well), and the tangible benefit is I have way more time to relax, and I get a 3 day weekend every week, and I still get a month of holiday a year.

I'd rather that than the extra 10k, most of which would put me in a higher tax bracket. I'm not earning massively more per month than I was on 15k/yr anyway because we have a functional tax system here.

I don't have to give a poo poo about healthcare and renting costs here are much, much cheaper. The pound is also worth more than the dollar.

Everything accounted for, I likely have higher spending power and much much more free time to use it than someone doing the exact same job in the US

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 23, 2022

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Also the one project im working on is literally "Let's make therapy access easier for queer people" and I get to build that from scratch and be responsible for it.

Compare to my previous gig of being 1 person out of like a hundred, all working to keep microservices floating to sell people on some kind of AWS bullshit

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 23, 2022

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont suppose there's any cogent answer to the question of what you want out of this subforum or 'gimmick', eh

It is indeed a meta-gimmick - I act this way because it reflects a deeper truth, and I view it as a stepping stone between where I am and where I want to be. I want to be who I am because that's who I want to be, not because I think it will win the approval of others. And that requires practice. So yes, not a gimmick at all.

Out of this subforum? Maybe I'll find people going through the same thing, ones who appreciate my company.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

my employer definitely has a net negative impact on society

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

alexandriao posted:

Everything accounted for, I likely have higher spending power and much much more free time to use it than someone doing the exact same job in the US

free time yes

spending power lol

https://www.levels.fyi/Salaries/Software-Engineer/San-Francisco-Bay-Area/

nonprofits pay like 60% of that, ime, w exception of mozilla and wikipedia and like places that pay more at parity

(compare to khan academy, which is a nonprofit dealio - https://www.levels.fyi/company/Khan-Academy/salaries/Software-Engineer/)

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 23, 2022

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I went into computers because it paid well and I hated bio and wanted to get as independent as possible

that’s it, that’s the only reason

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

RokosCockatrice posted:

serious questionn do people have an obligation or a responsibility to contribute to society? I thought 'obviously, like, at least a little bit' but no joke I got shouted down for 3 solid days by several people who thought the answer was no no no no how dare you
imo yes people have an obligation to heal and better society (or the people around them) to the best of their ability. This should absolutely not be confused with "working a job under capitalism/producing profit". just having a job doesn't mean you're contributing , and visa-versa not having a job doesnt mean you aren't contributing; same as someone being an amorphic blob whose sole existence is passively c o n s u m e as much resources as possible is not really living -- but no one like that actually exists and is just a strawman. it can be simple things, teaching stories/passing on history for aftercare, fixing up community bikes, helping someone cross the street, being there for someone whose suffering, teaching your friend's kid to swim or how to use a lathe, providing refuge for animals/insects in land preservation, and billion other ways including passing on wisdom/knowledge/experience/art/gifts is contributing to society.

unfortunately many millions of people have terminal brainworms where it's presumed that it all just means "have a job under capitalism"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

PokeJoe posted:

i think "working under capitalism" should not be conflated with "contributing to society"

i agree, and this is why capitalism is so opposed to a good society

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

i agree, and this is why capitalism is so opposed to a good society

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

PokeJoe posted:

too bad those jobs don't exist and if they do you can't go to the dr

lol yeah

also in the US a lot of positions at non profits and stuff that would be paid in the UK are volunteer and best case they give you a slip for tax write off purposes

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i think its great that every discussion here ends with "well thats just capitalism for ya" and everyone kinda nods and kicks the dirt for a minute and then we just go back to whatever we were doin

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

PokeJoe posted:

do telemarketers make the world a better place?

ding ding ding

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hell shitposting in these here forums contributes more to society than lots of jobs

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

think of how much no-bullshit good advice we legitimately share with each other here. it's helped a lot of people

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

PokeJoe posted:

think of how much no-bullshit good advice we legitimately share with each other here. it's helped a lot of people

shout out to the og printer thread

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rotor posted:

i think its great that every discussion here ends with "well thats just capitalism for ya" and everyone kinda nods and kicks the dirt for a minute and then we just go back to whatever we were doin

:)

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

rotor posted:

there isn't much of a tangible solution that we could commit to outside of stealing from the office or doing minimal work

i just touch fish for a living and complain about it

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

i mean, we dont have any answers beyond 'tear down capitalism' which isnt something i think we can do any more. individuals can go be hairy woods man types, sure, but we aren't in any position to grab a hundred babies each from the burning apartment building

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

heck, i'm complaining to my cousin on line right now! might complain to another family member on wechat later

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dioxazine posted:

heck, i'm complaining to my cousin on line right now! might complain to another family member on wechat later

good contribution comrade, society thanks you

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

dioxazine posted:

i just touch fish for a living

a second fishtoucher ???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

dioxazine posted:

there isn't much of a tangible solution that we could commit to outside of stealing from the office or doing minimal work

idk i feel like there's probably some harm reduction we could work on while we wait for the glorious workers revolution

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

graph posted:

a second fishtoucher ???

right?!? wtf

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

metaphysical fish touching

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

metaphysical fish touching

ascension, as it were

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

graph posted:

a second fishtoucher ???

i wonder if they attended the same school

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
at least we know there are two yosposters who are really averse to dropping the bass

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
~ fin ~

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

fishpics plz

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

oh god dammit jonny

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
loving hell, today took a lot out of me. Got a bunch done, but now I'm ready to just chill for a while. This trip can't get here soon enough.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
wait re the thread title: have we posted this yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaAF_GAc3Mk

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

i'm more of a fan of vectron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icTrzUuWlHI