Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

fun thought. vintage clothing stores that doesn't religiously rotate stock, without a doubt have items for sale that were not washed after they were sourced, and have been sitting on the rack for literal years, collecting the dermal crusts of every customer who tries them on, in addition to the decades that came before that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Well since there's no reasonable way to protect myself from intra-household pox infection (seems like) I guess all my work to protect from covid will end up for naught when I'm afflicted by the boomer pox.

platzapS posted:

i can feel myself slipping into denial and abandon

open bi...open...onlyyourrespirator trust THERE still got it

hold strong

Schnorkles posted:

I think the question with Monkeypox will be if community transmission really takes off. If it does, then yes, we are spectacularly hosed and your best bet is to barricade yourself in your house and steam clean your groceries and I'm not kidding.

So everything I've read about monkeypox says if you get it once you won't get it again. Am I missing something here? Did we find out that you can get monkeypox over and over?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Thoguh posted:

lmao, COVID .

listen, COVID is over pal. There's a new sheriff in town.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pingui posted:

"Contaminated clothing and linens should be collected and washed at 60°C cycles."

Do us washing machines even get that hot?

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

bedpan posted:

intentionally spreading COVID to uninfected people wasn't a scenario I saw playing out when this all started but I am not surprised

Meeting says the return to office on 6/6 is still going forward and he's looking forward to seeing everyone's smiling faces back in the office, then followed up with information on transit options. lol

Then he said that people shouldn't worry about getting sick anymore because covid is mild now and deaths are low. He reminded everyone that masks are optional lol

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Shear Modulus posted:

I've got the parlay of monkeypox and covid fusing together

it's no big deal if it's everywhere because it's mild

My washing machine doesn't have a 60 degrees C setting. it has "cold," "warm," and "hot"

I think you have to boil some water then:

https://www.thespruce.com/laundry-and-water-temperature-1900646 posted:

Hot water is generally 130 degrees Fahrenheit (54 degrees Celsius) or above.
Warm water is generally between 90 and 110 degrees Fahrenheit (32 to 43 degrees Celsius).
Cold water is generally between 60 and 80 degrees Fahrenheit (16 to 27 degrees Celsius).

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

fun thought. vintage clothing stores that doesn't religiously rotate stock, without a doubt have items for sale that were not washed after they were sourced, and have been sitting on the rack for literal years, collecting the dermal crusts of every customer who tries them on, in addition to the decades that came before that

weird in the UK they call them dermal crisps

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Mar 11, 2023

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Pro: Herd immunity might actually be possible against monkeypox
Con: We are gonna get there the hard way

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

mediaphage posted:

i read a good thread on twitter about mpx from a sensible virologist and he suggested that it seems like it’s been active under the radar for a while to get it this entrenched (versus measles level infectivity from an airport encounter or whatever)s

same reason though obv different mechanism that the spanish flu was so bad

psh mpx is old school i’m infected with the bonobo mosaic virus

diy it :v

Got a link to the good thread?

Danru
May 23, 2022

Rauros posted:

time to buy nitrile gloves before they are out of stock

Longtime lurker, but I just purchased a lot of 1000 from gloves.com. If the fomite concerns are real (lmao probably yes), based on the available stock on that and similar sites there is going to be a nationwide shortage. Someone said it earlier but I agree that the focus on fomites could be a distraction from what is probably ALSO novel airborne spread, so pierce-resistant nitrile gloves and an elastomeric it is!

I eagerly await the mild "dermal crusts" discourse.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Lacrosse posted:

Meeting says the return to office on 6/6 is still going forward and he's looking forward to seeing everyone's smiling faces back in the office, then followed up with information on transit options. lol

Then he said that people shouldn't worry about getting sick anymore because covid is mild now and deaths are low. He reminded everyone that masks are optional lol

what a gross perv. another "business professional" totally getting off on ordering people around and destroying value.

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Trixie Hardcore posted:

So everything I've read about monkeypox says if you get it once you won't get it again. Am I missing something here? Did we find out that you can get monkeypox over and over?

Resistance post recovery is likely quite durable, but I wouldn't say "you can't get it again period."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Delta-Wye posted:

you may want to adjust your expectations a tish

that should take care of the inflation and housing crisis

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Drake no: herd immunity via vaccines
Drake no: herd immunity via infections
Drake no: herd

stump collector
May 28, 2007
whats contagious is this mans committment to opening er up!

(goatse but with pox)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
lmao, Monkeypox.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Mar 11, 2023

Jingoro
May 13, 2003
Yarrrrr...beware the chicken waters, matey...

Lacrosse posted:

lol fomites are infectious for YEARS. Every bus/plane/train seat is going to be a hot zone for YEARS

Yep there it is there's my :crackping:

Oprah voice
YOU get a crackping! YOU get a crackping! EVERYBODY gets a CRACKPING!

Salt Fish posted:

Reading about cow pox vaccination, apparently what they would do in 1800 is scratch the healing blister from one person and then scratch another person to innoculate them. They could pass the vaccine from person to person with needing refrigerators or supply lines.

What I'm saying here is goon project.

Ok, we just need some diseased cows, some angry cats, and some twister mats. Easy peasy.

Kylaer posted:

Hot pox summer

Red Baron posted:

I need to go scream into a pillow

I am laughing so weird it's scaring my dog, you should try that.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
sneeze guards but with banana fridge magnets glued to them

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Thoguh posted:

lmao, Monkeypox.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

NeonPunk posted:

Ya know how businesses all went in the whole hand sanitizers and cleaning surfaces for Covid instead of upgrading their HVAC and improving air circulation?

It would be hilarious if they decide that it's just too expensive to do all that again for monkeypox and just put up something ineffective that's cheaper. I'm thinking they'll put up some blue led lights and claim it's UVC that'll take care of monkeypox and call it a day.

Hey remember when the FDA relaxed regulations and we ended up with a bunch of cancerous hand sanitizer

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Spoondick
Jun 9, 2000

these pustules all over my body?

those are just my allergies flaring up, now here's your order of fries

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Lacrosse posted:

Hey remember when the FDA relaxed regulations and we ended up with a bunch of cancerous hand sanitizer

Lol its been a wild few years.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I’m really sad my spring 2020 rum distillery sanitizer is running out. everything else is loaded with way too much gak.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
dermal crust punk

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

kalensc posted:

Got a link to the good thread?

idk which one they're talking about but this one is good so I put it in the OP
https://twitter.com/mugecevik/status/1528029335734697984

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Mar 11, 2023

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’d like 1 pb&j sandwich, no dermal crusts plz tyvm

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1528852082391932934

It's mutated

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

smashmyradio posted:

i went to the hospital last week and it was just surreal. the waiting room was in complete disarray, chairs scattered randomly so that nobody could walk through, every one of them taken with additional people standing and patients in wheelchairs just parked randomly. nobody was allowed to have a family member or anything with them because there wasn't enough space, so there were young kids with open wounds sitting by themselves and manual wheelchair users with nobody to push them to the counter (and no clear pathways do do it) as their names were called over and over by the registration nurse... they were short-staffed enough that some people bypassed this rule, and this one person came in with their elderly mother and was walking around offering to pour peanuts into people’s hands (“it’ll be totally contactless!”). many of them were sanitizing their hands every few minutes but removing their masks regularly to eat snacks. someone had severe weeping edema and took the opportunity to elevate her leg when an extra chair was momentarily available, and she leaked all over it until a staff came and told her she wasn’t allowed to use two chairs, and he made her move so a sick kid could sit there in the puddle.

:D

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

why did he reset the trap his just stepped in

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

it hasn’t* mutated

*aside from the 50+ confirmed mutations, those are probably nbd

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Rutibex posted:

it's only polite

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Rutibex posted:

doesnt matter. he has natural immunity now.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Yossarian-22 posted:

(..)
It's mutated

I "enjoy" the wording, because it is carefully framed to imply that it hasn't mutated, while really just saying we don't know yet.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Either way I can't quite make up my mind which is worse between:
1) Monkeypox has mutated to become more infectious or
2) COVID has caused immunosuppression to the extent that the same old monkeypox is now more infectious.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pingui posted:

Either way I can't quite make up my mind which is worse between:
1) Monkeypox has mutated to become more infectious or
2) COVID has caused immunosuppression to the extent that the same old monkeypox is now more infectious.

3) weaponized monkey pox release by azov as a dead man's switch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

except the bear trap is still firmly clamped onto the worldman's leg but he just isn't paying attention to it as he walks into another bear trap